DE - Susan Ledyard, 50, found dead in river (suspected homicide), Wilmington, 23 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The only scenario that makes sense is it was a person she knew. Although IMO it would be a person she didn’t want her husband to know about. Otherwise, she likely would have said to her husband “I just got a message from ___ and she’s really upset and needs to talk to someone” etc. I think it’s possible she was up so late, long after the husband went to bed, because she was waiting for a call/message. It’s a very curious case.
I'd hope if in that case, the husband would have given that info to LE, then at least the reason she went out so late would have some sort of explanation, truth or not. I've not read any reports other than no one knows why she went out. JMO

This case fascinates me. I can't figure it out. A bit more info from the dateline special:

• Susan's cell phone and purse were found in her car, so they were NOT able to track her movements/location by way of her cell phone.
  • They know she was alive until about 7am because of the Fitbit she wore on her wrist, which recorded movement and a pulse until around 7am (she was found dead in the river about half an hour later).
  • Although movement and a pulse was recorded on Susan's Fitbit from 3am-7am, she reportedly walked less than a mile. This is important, because her body was found in the river approximately 3 miles from where her car was parked, which means she did not walk there, nor did she drive her car there. Somebody else had to have driven her there.

Welcome to WS! Is the water always that calm there?
I also live only a few miles away from where she went missing. The river (for the most part) is shallow. We actually float the Brandywine often during the summer months. In some areas it is slow moving but in other areas (closer to downtown) the water speed picks up. I know in this linked article it states her body didn’t go into the river where her car was found, and I agree. I don’t think it could have gone in anywhere close to where her car was parked. Time wise, her body simply wouldn’t have been able to travel that far of a distance in such a short amount of time. It also would have had to travel along a popular riverside jogging/walking path near the zoo that would have been busy around the 7am time. On a side note, my husband works as a first responder in the City and I actually know the man who recovered her body from the river. It is something that clearly doesn’t come up in conversation but has been mentioned in passing.
Family wants answers in murder of Susan Ledyard

TLDW (for now).

Does he offer up anything new or particularly interesting?

It’s a very strange case with very little for the public to go on.
If you’ve been closely following this case, there isn’t any new news. I have never seen any of John Lordan’s reports before, but he put together a very comprehensive and thoughtful presentation.

If you’ve been closely following this case, there isn’t any new news. I have never seen any of John Lordan’s reports before, but he put together a very comprehensive and thoughtful presentation.
He's amazing! One of the best true crime guys anywhere, YouTube or otherwise. He's very well respected.

I know the area well and if she didn’t go there to harm herself, which is apparently not the case, it’s very hard to believe she’d go there alone at 3AM. This leaves her with someone she was very close to which would be evident from previous emails, texts or calls. Absent that trail of communication, the possibilities shrink considerably. Her being alive until 7, if true, doesn’t indicate what condition she was in during that time.

I know the area well and if she didn’t go there to harm herself, which is apparently not the case, it’s very hard to believe she’d go there alone at 3AM. This leaves her with someone she was very close to which would be evident from previous emails, texts or calls. Absent that trail of communication, the possibilities shrink considerably. Her being alive until 7, if true, doesn’t indicate what condition she was in during that time.

It’s been said her body couldn’t have floated that far. Is the river so low volume that 3 miles in 4 hours isn’t possible?

I’m not trusting the Fitbit as accurate. They are a bit junky.

It’s been said her body couldn’t have floated that far. Is the river so low volume that 3 miles in 4 hours isn’t possible?

From the same link I just posted:

“Police don't believe Susan Ledyard entered Brandywine Creek in the area where her car was parked.

"Between Rising Sun Lane and Northeast Boulevard, there are numerous obstructions in the river, such as dams, bridge piers, and areas of shallow water and exposed rocks," noted the detective. “

I wonder if the Fitbit could have recorded changes in pulse?

From the same link I just posted:

“Police don't believe Susan Ledyard entered Brandywine Creek in the area where her car was parked.

"Between Rising Sun Lane and Northeast Boulevard, there are numerous obstructions in the river, such as dams, bridge piers, and areas of shallow water and exposed rocks," noted the detective. “

I wonder if the Fitbit could have recorded changes in pulse?

I’ve seen that quote.

What isn’t clear is if it is impossible, or just highly unlikely.

This is a strange case to be sure, and part of me wonders if the police haven’t made some errors in judgement.

I also find it strange how long it took to rule it a homicide, and whether that means it was very hard to make a determination. I can’t help but think that the investigation was damaged by that delay.

I wonder if there’s a burner phone somewhere in that river.

This article has a map of the car, the house, and the spot where her body was found. I found it helpful. UPDATE | Delaware State Police don't believe woman found in Brandywine Creek committed suicide

Do we know for certain that no one else left the Ledyard home that night?
I have wondered about a burner phone too because it seems very likely she was communicating with someone who was the impetus for her leaving home in the middle of the night. I have heard no statements about what has been discovered about any other activity in the home that night but certainly it was looked at very carefully. I’ve actually heard nothing about anything they are pursuing in the investigation.

In the video that was posted from BrainScratch, he has some very good images of the river. It twists and turns, with several places of very shallow water heavy with large rocks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back