DE DE - Tina Kemp, 14, Felton, 3 Feb 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thewop356, are you still around / do you have any updates for us?

Felton is a seriously tiny place (less than a single square mile and about 1,300 in population) and there are not many missing person cases in Delaware as a whole. I can't believe there is so little information about Tina's case.

I know a couple Kemps in Kent County (Dover and Harrington). I will have to ask if they are any relation.

Cases like this one make me terribly sad.

How can someone be missing for 30 some years before it is listed on the national registries? How can NO ONE fight for answers for this young girl for all those years?
As a parent, sibling, friend, wouldn't ANYONE at least contact missing persons registries to have her put on?

The lack of information out there actually makes me suspicious of her family.
Even if the police give up, a mother/family usually doesn't.

Thewop356, are you still around / do you have any updates for us?

Felton is a seriously tiny place (less than a single square mile and about 1,300 in population) and there are not many missing person cases in Delaware as a whole. I can't believe there is so little information about Tina's case.

I know a couple Kemps in Kent County (Dover and Harrington). I will have to ask if they are any relation.

Hi Rilke...I am most certainly still around and a couple days a week I take some time to myself to look around for any updates or info regarding Tina Faye Kemp.If you ever do find any of her relatives please share any info you would feel comfortable doing so with us. Unfortunately I have not made much progress on her case, however more recently I have been in contact with some very interesting people from this and other sites who have provided me with even more info on the few people who I suspect could be invloved with Tina's disappearance. I have been in contact with the person in charge of all cold case missing persons in Delaware and we keep trying to schedule a meeting but it has proven difficult with our busy schedules. I have sent him e-mails of my research though and he was very receptive and even provided me with some info that was unknown to the public about a very popular serial killer which is why I have just about ruled that person out (not completely yet though). Recently I have been focusing my efforts on other more famous missing persons cases from and around the time of Tina's disappearance to get help from other people who have been studying some of the suspects that I think may be involved. I have gotten some very useful information from one person in particular who is pretty much an expert on Debardeleben. I have only been investigating this case for about a year and I feel I have made some very good progress. I was definitively able to rule out some people that I suspected could be involved and have a lot more info to investigate. Debardeleben was such an evil person and I would very much like to be able to rule him out so I can focus on other possible suspects. It is VERY chilling to learn about what this man was capable of and to learn that he should have been easily stopped well before 1979. All of this is my opinion of course...but I think Debardeleben was involved with so many disappearances in the US during the 70s and early 80s and I think some of those cases are essentially closed with the fact the LE knows he was involved but does not have the time or resources to devote to tying him to a bunch of those disappearances. Most professional detectives (not that I consider myself anything of that sort) are taught not to believe in coincidences and I just cannot avoid the facts that Debardeleben was in Ft. Worth, TX during the time that the trio of girls dissappeared there during the Christmas Holidays 1974, then that he was also known to be in the area of and committed crimes in the area of Wheaton, MD a few months later in 1975 when the Lyon Sisters disappeared, and that he committed & was convicted in 1983 of committing abductions/rapes of young girls in Delaware and surrounding areas from September 1978 through June 1979 (Tina faye Kemp went missing on 2-3-79). It seems that almost everytime I find some sort of evidence that can almost rule him out as a suspect in Tina's disappearance, that I talk to someone or find something that steers me right back in his direction. It is very frustrating because I am almost certain that if I (or anyone investigating Tina's) case could get to look over the evidence that the Secret Service has on Debardeleben, that we will either find definitive evidence that ties him to her disappearance or can rule him out as a suspect. The Secret Service still does have a lot of the evidence they collected from Debardeleben's storage lockers because I am sure after viewing it all that they were certain that LE agencies all over the country would be interested in seeing it to help close other missing person cases from all over the country in the 70s and early 80s. They have countless pitcures of women he abused and hours of cassette recordings he recorded either abusing women or talking about abusing women. Among that evidence are a ton of stolen license plates and receipts from stores/motels he visited during the late 70s and early 80s. It is a know fact that he abducted and abused a real estate agent on February 4, 1979 in Fayetteville, NC the day after Tina Faye Kemp was reported missing on February 3, 1979. Most people would think that would rule him out as a suspect in Tina's case, however I found evidence that he most certainly committed serious crimes and then would drive very far the same day and committ another crime in a totally different part of the country to throw off investigators. Even that being said it still would almost certainly rule him out except that I found that he abducted 2 other girls in a relative close area to Tina's home a few months before and a few months after Tina's dsappearance and drove them hours away after he abducted them to keep them in a safe house while he tortured them for days. That is not even the most important fact of why he cannot be ruled out. I lived within miles of Tina when she disappeared and even though I was only 4, I still remember that a huge snowstorm blanketed our area with snow the day after Tina was reported missing. It essentially stopped all traffic in and out of our area for days since snow removal was not very good back in 1979. So I think Tina's abductor(s) would have had to get her far out of the area of Felton, DE immediately after her disappearance to prevent from being stuck in the snowstorm that blanketed the east coast from DC up to NY. Since Debardeleben was convicted of committing the crime in Fayetteville, NC then it would prove that he was definitely still not anywhere near Tina's area or he would have been stuck there for days. Not that any of that info is enough to even make him a strong suspect in Tina's disapearance to LE. I cannot ignore the fact the he abducted 2 other young girls (1 actually in Delaware a few miles south of Tina's house) and another just south of Delaware within months of Tina's disappearance. In both of those cases Debardeleben was found guilty using evidence of pictures and even a cassette recording (which one of the girls testified was her voice) that was found in 1983 in his storage lockers in VA almost 4 years after both crimes were committed. Since all that evidence was found in 1983 and both of those crimes were committed within a few months of Tina's disappearance, then I am VERY confident that there is also evidence that was collected that could tie Debardeleben to Tina's case or definitively rule him out as a suspect. I feel for her family because (as cliche as it may sound it is true enough)...that Felton, Delaware just did not have these types of crimes happening in 1979 and that if someone local were involved with how tightnit the communites were and still are today, that some info would have come forth since then implicating someone local. I continue to pray for her and that some information will be found to help prove what happened to her. I understand that MANY children went missing over the years and have not been found, but this is pretty much the ONLY missing child case from Delaware that has not been solved. I just cannot believe that a little girl who literally grew up down the street from my house went missing and has never been found. I would hope that if one of my kids went missing that someone like me or the group of people who post on this and other similar sites would keep looking into the disappearance and not let everyone forget that our children's lives were taken from them by someone and that they didn't just vanish off the face of the planet. If you are from the area or have any info you would like to share or if you have any questions I may be able to help you with please send me a private message and I would be happy to share everything I know about this case. My prayers will never stop going out to Delaware LE and her family that they might find out what happened to and/or where Tina Faye Kemp is.

I recently compiled a list of possible suspects in the case of the Missing Lyon Sisters of Wheaton, Maryland. They disappeared from Wheaton Plaza shopping mall on 25 March 1975.

Of the persons on that list, here are a few that could be considered as possible suspects in the disappearance of Tina Faye Kemp, because they were then at large. I have here eliminated from the list those who were dead or incarcerated at the time that Tina Faye Kemp went missing.

To see the entire Lyon case list and more information on each of these dirtbags, see the Lyon sisters' featured case and go to the thread on "Potential Suspects and Persons of Interest".

The Lyon Sisters' featured case also includes a thread on other cases which could be related, including Tina Faye's case.

Note that I consider the following to be possible suspects along with Henry Lee Lucas, and his buddy O'Toole in the disappearance of Tina Faye Kemp.

---------------
Fred Howard COFFEY, Jr. (incarcerated)
- Known child molester and killer
- Pre and Post 1975 offenses against children
- had several vehicles
- former Navy (1962 - 1974)
Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. is currently serving a life term in NC for the 1979 murder of a 10 year NC girl. He may have been involved in the Lyon Sisters abduction, and possibly in the 24 July 1975 abduction/murder of 15 year-old Kathy Lynn Beatty, also of Montgomery County, Maryland, the 1982 abduction and murder of 5-year-old Neely Smith of NC, and the abduction/murder of 8-year-old Travis Shane King of Bristol, VA. Coffey was arrested, tried and convicted and has been in prison since late 1986. He comes up for parole at regular intervals.

---------------------
Hadden CLARK (incarcerated)
- born 1951
- lived in Montgomery County, MD and also in New York.
- convicted serial killer of at least two Montgomery County girls
- admitted to having killed others, but not the Lyon sisters
Hadden Clark, born in April 1951... A cross dressing, psychotic, serial killer and cannibal, he led a truly bizzare life until finally convicted and sentenced to life terms for the murders of Laura Houghteling and Michelle Dorr, both of Montgomery County, MD

----------------------------------
Timothy Joseph Buzbee (incarcerated)
- aka The Aspen Hill Rapist (1980's)
- no known murders
Date of Birth 08/27/1957
DOC ID 170707
Holding Facility North Branch Correctional Institution, Cumberland, MD
- Timothy Buzbee would have been 17 and a half years old when Sheila and Kate Lyon went missing. At the time, he lived in the Aspen Hill - Rockville area and was still in High School.
- Although he was never named as a suspect in the Lyon case, he later was involved in a number of stalking incidents and rapes, some of which involved young girls.
- He was arrested, tried and convicted of rape in 1982 and has been in prison since that time. In 2009, he was charged in four additional rapes.

-------------------------------------------
Gerald Anderson ABERNATHY (deceased)
- abducted and murdered a woman in Kensington
- ties to Kensington
- other rapes, abductions, murders in VA and PA
- convicted of rape and murder (died in prison)
- whereabouts unknown for March 1975
Wendy Lou Stark, abducted and murdered 1982 Montgomery County, MD, closed case: Could this recently closed case be related to the case of the Missing Lyon Sisters or of Kathy Lynn Beatty? The perpetrator of this crime was a repeat offender who had escaped from a Virginia Prison and was living in Kensington, MD in 1981-82.

-------------------------------
James Mitchell "Mike" DeBARDELEBEN (deceased)
- sadistic murderer of women
- Counterfeiter known to have been in Wheaton MD 1975
- many different kinds of crimes
- Had a 1971 green Chrysler
- born March 20, 1940 in Little Rock, Arkansas
- died January 26, 2011 in prison of pneumonia at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina.
- convicted rapist and counterfeiter
- aka "the mall passer"
- After his arrest for counterfeiting, he was found to have committed much more serious sex crimes. He was not brought to trial for any murders

------------------------------------
John Brennan CRUTCHLEY (deceased)
AKA The Vampire Rapist
Born October 1, 1946
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Died March 30, 2002 (aged 55)
Bowling Green, Florida, U.S.
Alias(es) The Vampire Rapist
Conviction(s) Kidnapping, Sexual battery
Penalty Life sentence
Status Deceased
Occupation System engineer
- During the mid 70's he lived in Fairfax County Va. At the time there were several disappearances of teenage girls. Some investiators suspect his linkage to the Lyon Girls & Kathy Beaty. He was extensively familiar with Montgomery County, where his second wife's family lived. He lived in Fairfax, VA in the mid 1970's. He also lived in Pa. where there were a number of missing females, & deceased females. Post 22
- convicted kidnapper and rapist who was suspected of murdering more than 30 women, but was never tried nor convicted of those crimes. He was called the "Vampire Rapist" because he drained the blood of his victim almost to the point of death while he repeatedly sexually assaulted her.
He was arrested in late 1985 for the abduction, rape, and attempted murder of a teen aged girl and convicted in 1986.

--------------------------
James Kowalski (incarcerated)
- possible ties to Kensington, MD
- Child poronographer
- in a rock band, hung around young people.
- There are a number of 1993 Washington Post articles about James Kowalski and his trials for child poronography and for child molestation.
- His convictions were for innapropriate actions with young boys ages around 11 and 12. No references to molestation or kidnapping of young girls. Although suspected of being involved with the disappearance of George "Junior" Burdynski, he was never charged or convicted in that regard.

-----------------------
Gerald Stano (deceased)
Stano was a Serial Killer of young girls and women during the time that Sheila and Kate went missing. Stano was born in New York, moved with his adoptive family to Pennsylvania as a child, and later lived in Florida. Active in New Jersey.
Believed to have killed up to 41 people. Apprehended in April, 1980. Executed in 1998.

-----------------------
Andre Rand (incarcerated)
Not known if he was in Maryland on 25 March 1975, he was active as a serial killer of children at that time, and similarities in victims and circumstances with his known crimes and that of the Lyon case bear looking into. Captured August 1987.

-------------------------
Richard Charles Haefner (deceased)
A 25 year old Geology student at Penn State University in 1969. Haefner is considered a potential suspect/ Person of Interest in the murder of Graduate Student Betsy Aardsma.
Investigators consider him a person of interest in the Ardsma case due to his strange behavior before and after her murder, his later history of violence towards women, and a history of Pedophilia. He had an explosive temper which led him into conflicts with police and others on numerous occasions.
Not known if he was in Maryland in March 1975. He would have been 30 or 31 years of age then. He was a resident of Lancaster, PA, which is not far from Maryland. In 1975, three young girls disappeared from places in Pennsylvania which were not far from Lancaster.
On August 15, 1975, he was arrested by Lancaster police and charged with corruption of minors and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse. The alleged victim was a 12-year-old boy who claimed that Haefner, who employed him and other youths in a small family business, had engaged in sexual contacts in a garage which was part of the business premises.
Haefner denied the charges and over the course of several years, was exonerated of all wrongdoing via multiple mistrials. In 1994, he again appeared before a judge for aggravated assault of a police officer and disorderly conduct. He was also charged with tampering with a witness and criminal mischief—puncturing the tire of a 1989 Pontiac. The tool he used was a sharpened screwdriver.
Haefner died 19 March 2002 in Las Vegas, Nevada of a heart attack.

-------------------------------------------
Rodney Alcala (incarcerated)
AKA "The Dating Game Killer"
There is no evidence to indicate that Rodney Alcala was in Maryland during the spring and summer of 1975, but it is aparent that he was in both New York and California in the 1970's. So he obviously got around and was quite a prolific killer.
Note that one of his victims in California was only 12 years old.
Alcala would have been about 31 years old in 1975, when the Lyon Sisters went missing.
He is called "The Dating Game Killer" because he once appeared on that TV game show, and actually was chosen over two other contestants as the "winner". The girl who chose him, however, declined to actually go out on a date with him because he seemed a little creepy to her.

A jury convicted Alcala on February 25, 2010 of killing Robyn Samsoe, 12, as well as Jill Barcomb, 18, who had just moved to Los Angeles from Oneida, N.Y.; Georgia Wixted, 27, of Malibu; Charlotte Lamb, 32, of Santa Monica; and Jill Parenteau, 21, of Burbank.

After the California convictions, Alcala was charged with murdering two 23-year-old women in New York City in the same decade.... In New York, Alcala is charged in the 1971 strangling of flight attendant Cornelia Crilley and the death of Ellen Hover, daughter of a one-time Hollywood nightclub owner. She disappeared in 1977; her remains were found the next year in the woods on a suburban estate.

Hi Richard and thanks for the info...I used the list you provided in the Lyon Sister's thread to add to my list a few months ago and I have been crossing them off one by one ever since. I have just a few names left from that list and a few on my own list of people I think could be involved. I really want to thank you for providing that not just to me, but to all the other posters. It has been extremely helpful because a lot of that info is not very easy to find. It seems any info that I have seen you provide has always been helpful to a lot of people. In case nobody has said it lately...thanks for all the help!!!

I haven't posted here in a while so I am bumping for Tina. I am still so intrigued by this case but nothing new has come to my attention except that there were a lot of young teenage girls that went missing during this timeframe all over the mid-atlantic region. It was not or is not just an on average number either. It was WAY ABOVE normal for that area. Unfortunately anything is possible, but some of these disappearances had to be related and that is a scary thing

Is it possible Tina is still alive? Cruise on FB for Tina Faye Kemp and tell me what you think. Don't forget her MIDDLE name. It will help eliminate a lot of the FB suggestions for Tina Kemp (like Christina and Kempf, for example), and there are a lot of them.

It's possible she is alive, but VERY unlikely according to my research. She was only 14 and she was from a very small town in a small state and none of her family or her boyfriend at the time (who she was close to) have ever heard a word from her since her disappearance in 1979. Unfortunately anything could of happened, however in my opinion she was taken by one of the predators that were abducting teenage girls all over the mid-atlantic region in the 70s and 80s. I have my guesses at who it could be, but that is all they are is guesses. There were just so many documented predators and probably a few we don't know of that could be responsible for her disappearance.

Bumping. This is my pet case as Tina looks so much like my little sister :(
i wonder if they questioned her friends / boyfriend? Not suggesting they are guilty, but perhaps they would know if she was going somewhere, or running away. How sad that she vanished without a trace.

Her family and boyfriend were never officially suspects that I know of, but I do know that LE had talked to all them about her disappearance which is how they found out she ran away twice previously. But as most LE was back in the 70s, I think that info only hurt their investigation because they weren't frantically looking for her as they should have been. We also got a huge snowstorm the day after she went missing and it essentially shut everything down in southern Delaware for a few days so I am sure that impeded their investigation as well. The facts seriously sway me or LE from believing she ran away now though, but unfortunately so much time is passed that they would have to rely on new info or the recovery of a body to solve this case. I lived in the same town as her when she went missing and not many people knew about it until months or years later. The family kept it relatively quiet as far as I know, but I was only four however our town was small enough that I didn't hear anything about it except a year later in Kindergarden and it was more about a stranger danger thing. I never even heard other kids talk about it growing up and we talked about almost anything that happened in that little town.

I have been comparing Tina Faye Kemp to Walker County Doe. I read articles and their doenetwork.org profiles. It really seems like a match to me. They both have a scar near the right eye brow, mentioned in reports. I can also see three freckles and/or moles that are close to each other. It appears that the time periods match up. For girls, this is a growth period, and Walker Doe was wearing heels and may have appeared taller, if the height was from a witness, as it seems in an article. If she spent a lot of time outside and traveling, her hair might be lighter. Tina's appears dark, maybe dyed?, to medium brown in her pictures, and I do notice a red tinge to it. Walker Doe is said to have light brown with a red tint.

The reason these two caught my eye was because I had noticed the Walker Doe post mortem had prominent cheekbones with small chin, like a heart-shaped face. I also noticed her eyebrows were oddly shaped, like heavier on the outer portion, which is very odd. When I saw Tina Kemp's photo, right away I noticed her odd eyebrows. Young girls, when they start plucking, they often don't know what they are doing. Still, the outer portion in both photos seems thicker than a normal brow. Both girls appear to have freckles. I find the post mortem of Walker doe to have a lot of photo shop smudging. If you look very closely I think you can see a mole on her neck. It's very blurry.

Another thing about the post mortem, her lips were very swollen, in fact her face looks swollen. Tina has thinner lips. This can be understood, Knowing there was a beating and strangulation. There is injury to the lip, visible.

I noticed also that Tina Kemp wears yellow, and things with red on them. Like her shoes were red and white when she ran away. On the other hand, Walker Doe was wearing a long yellow pullover with big pockets, both girls last known wearing jeans. Walker Doe had red high heels.

Also, I noticed that Walker Doe was seen, "To the best of his recollection, she had been let out of a 1973 or 1974 blue Chevrolet with a lighter colored top, possibly a Caprice, which was being driven by a white male. She looked disheveled like she had been traveling and perhaps sleeping in her clothes."-from her doenetwork profile.

Now up above, one of you was posting all the serial killers and info. One of them was mentioned to be driving a similar car, a 1971 green Chrysler. Also, it said he was born in Arkansas. Walker County Doe replied that she was from Arkansas (Pass and Rockport, area), when she was asked. She was also asking for directions to a prison to see a friend. Could this serial killer guy have been going to see a friend, but, maybe had a felony and wouldn't be allowed to go visit? so he took the girl to go in for him? Or maybe it was a story, to get her on a road trip with him, so he could dump her in a distant state?

This is my first post on Websleuths. I hope I followed the rules okay. Let me know if I didn't. Also, Zelda, I see your footer case is Walker Doe, and you follow this case as well. When I came here to post my ideas, I was surprised to see Walker Does photo in this thread.

sorry to be so lengthy.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/91uftx.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2966dfde.html

Hello everyone. Tina Faye Kemp is my Aunt on my mothers side, Tina was one of six sisters. I'd like to find out what happened to her. Detectives have contacted my family throughout the years to help solve the now cold case but nothing has ever come about. I currently reside in the same town Tina went missing many years ago. I'd like to help in any way I can, I just don't know where to start, I've even thought about contacting dateline. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thank for your time!

Hello everyone. Tina Faye Kemp is my Aunt on my mothers side, Tina was one of six sisters. I'd like to find out what happened to her. Detectives have contacted my family throughout the years to help solve the now cold case but nothing has ever come about. I currently reside in the same town Tina went missing many years ago. I'd like to help in any way I can, I just don't know where to start, I've even thought about contacting dateline. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thank for your time!

:wagon::wagon::wagon:
Welcome to WS.
I would start by reaching out to the detectives on her case and asking for her case file, if you haven't already.
If any of her childhood friends are still in the area, perhaps reaching out them and asking what they think, or if they know anything they may want to share now but were perhaps afraid to mention back in the day.
We will help anyway we can, so please check in often!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chloerock
Back