Death Penalty Vs Life in Prison and Why

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

do you want Casey to get the death penalty?

• yes

Votes: 106 59.2%
  • no

Votes: 73 40.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My stepfather was a minister. I have an aunt with a degree in Theology. I was raised in a religious family and went to church every Sunday of my life as I was growing up. I believed in forgiving those who 'trespass' against you. You can forgive while not forgetting.

Now that I am 60 years old and have life experiences, I find myself not quite as forgiving. I was raised in ignorance of the evil that is really in this world. That does not apply any longer, and I am all too aware of the evil that does exist in the hearts of some.

Having said all of that; I have really wrestled with my views on the Death Penalty. At this point in my life, I have to say that were I on that jury I would vote for the Death Penalty for Casey. IF her death sentence were to be commuted to LWOP when her appeals come up, then I would be fine with that also. Hypocrite? Maybe I am, but I still want Casey to hear the verdict be a death sentence. IF she is executed, then so be it. IF the sentence is commuted to LWOP, then so be it.

I want to hear a death sentence for Casey so that she will experience the utter fear of death. Inbetween her appeal(s), I want her to fear being put to death. She should experience death row. She should have to be in mental agony inbetween her sentence and her appeal(s) wondering IF her sentence will be commuted to LWOP or she will indeed be put to death. After all; she was precious Caylee's judge, jury, and executioner.

MOO

If the DP magically became less expensive overnight, I would still be opposed to it. Killing people just isn't something I can get behind.
But just to be a pill and throw some fodder out there for people to get on me about ( as if i don;t provide enough) I do understand passionate murder to a degree. What I mean by that is, if i walked in and found someone raping my baby and I had a gun in my hand, I am quite sure i wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill.
However, were this person brought to trial i would not support methodically putting them to death after giving it much thought and deliberation.
I am well aware that this is inconsistent and paradoxical, but I am just being honest.

Quoting from the beginning of this thread, a few years ago, I agree with this post. Someone asked me recently whether I would vote for death or life. I would vote for life.

My feelings like many are complicated. I believe that some people deserve to die. I do believe that. I just don't believe that the government should make that decision except in cases of war, for the most part. Or other situations like, for example, the case of Osama bin Laden.

We are the only western civilized, first world democracy, to continue using the death penalty. England, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, none of them use the death penalty. Only we do and in that, we are comparable to Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, etc.

We also have very high per capita homicide rates compared to the countries that do not use the death penalty: The US homicide rate, which has declined substantially since 1991, is still among the highest in the industrialized world. There were 17,034 murders in the United States in 2006[28] (666,160 [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder"]murders[/ame] from 1960 to 1996).[29] In 2004, there were 5.5 homicides for every 100,000 persons, roughly three times as high as Canada (1.9) and six times as high as Germany (0.9). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States#International_comparison

My point is that I do not believe it is a deterrent.

I also have a real problem with the fact that historically, more minorities, especially black people, have been sentenced to death and that the innocence project has found that many black people sentenced to death are actually innocent. I think that there remains a subconscious attitude
in a large portion of our population that black people are savage animals that are more capable of crime than others and the thought of one person being put to death who didn't commit the crime they were convicted of, makes me sick, especially if the judgment was partially based on race.

I find the death penalty to be a gruesome, methodical form of killing that is somewhat barbaric. That being said, if I was on a jury for joseph duncan or ted bundy, etc., I would set aside my philosophical beliefs and vote for death, as contradictory as it sounds. I guess that is because I do believe that some people deserve to die and I would hypocritically go against my aversion to a state-sponsored death penalty, using it to "punish" the worst of the worst.

I suppose I feel that if we are to use it, it should be used only for the worst of the worst, i.e., torture killers, serial killers, thrill killers, etc. People who enjoy killing and causing suffering.

Is that casey? Not IMO. I would be satisfied with life in prison. I do think she is a danger to society. She is a dog gone bad and will never be rehabilitated. We should be protected from her.

I also agree, sadly, that she will likely adapt to prison and work the system, which infuriates me to no end. But regardless of that, such sociopathic, adaptive criminals still are prohibited from the daily pleasures of life like a nice shower whenever you want it, soft toilet paper, sunshine, the beach, a glass of orange juice in the middle of the night, a private place to use the toilet, comfy jammies, a soft pillow and comforter, good, healthy and tasty food, going to the movies, having a glass of wine or a beer, etc. Sociopathic killers like casey and scott peterson dream about those things and long for freedom as a result, and that is consolation to me.

Finally, I do not believe she will be sentenced to death. It is very rare for a woman to be so sentenced in our country and the ones that have have been serial killers or black widows, for the most part. Mothers who are young and kill their small child, well I don't know of one in recent times who has been so sentenced. But, I am happy that we are to have a death qualified jury because they will be more likely to find casey guilty of first degree murder. :twocents:

I can't vote because there is no "Undecided" option.

Quoting from the beginning of this thread, a few years ago, I agree with this post. Someone asked me recently whether I would vote for death or life. I would vote for life.

My feelings like many are complicated. I believe that some people deserve to die. I do believe that. I just don't believe that the government should make that decision except in cases of war, for the most part. Or other situations like, for example, the case of Osama bin Laden.

We are the only western civilized, first world democracy, to continue using the death penalty. England, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, none of them use the death penalty. Only we do and in that, we are comparable to Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, etc.

We also have very high per capita homicide rates compared to the countries that do not use the death penalty: The US homicide rate, which has declined substantially since 1991, is still among the highest in the industrialized world. There were 17,034 murders in the United States in 2006[28] (666,160 murders from 1960 to 1996).[29] In 2004, there were 5.5 homicides for every 100,000 persons, roughly three times as high as Canada (1.9) and six times as high as Germany (0.9). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States#International_comparison

My point is that I do not believe it is a deterrent.

I also have a real problem with the fact that historically, more minorities, especially black people, have been sentenced to death and that the innocence project has found that many black people sentenced to death are actually innocent. I think that there remains a subconscious attitude
in a large portion of our population that black people are savage animals that are more capable of crime than others and the thought of one person being put to death who didn't commit the crime they were convicted of, makes me sick, especially if the judgment was partially based on race.

I find the death penalty to be a gruesome, methodical form of killing that is somewhat barbaric. That being said, if I was on a jury for joseph duncan or ted bundy, etc., I would set aside my philosophical beliefs and vote for death, as contradictory as it sounds. I guess that is because I do believe that some people deserve to die and I would hypocritically go against my aversion to a state-sponsored death penalty, using it to "punish" the worst of the worst.

I suppose I feel that if we are to use it, it should be used only for the worst of the worst, i.e., torture killers, serial killers, thrill killers, etc. People who enjoy killing and causing suffering.

Is that casey? Not IMO. I would be satisfied with life in prison. I do think she is a danger to society. She is a dog gone bad and will never be rehabilitated. We should be protected from her.

I also agree, sadly, that she will likely adapt to prison and work the system, which infuriates me to no end. But regardless of that, such sociopathic, adaptive criminals still are prohibited from the daily pleasures of life like a nice shower whenever you want it, soft toilet paper, sunshine, the beach, a glass of orange juice in the middle of the night, a private place to use the toilet, comfy jammies, a soft pillow and comforter, good, healthy and tasty food, going to the movies, having a glass of wine or a beer, etc. Sociopathic killers like casey and scott peterson dream about those things and long for freedom as a result, and that is consolation to me.

Finally, I do not believe she will be sentenced to death. It is very rare for a woman to be so sentenced in our country and the ones that have have been serial killers or black widows, for the most part. Mothers who are young and kill their small child, well I don't know of one in recent times who has been so sentenced. But, I am happy that we are to have a death qualified jury because they will be more likely to find casey guilty of first degree murder. :twocents:

It would be the ultimate deterrent for ICA, just as it was for Ted Bundy.

i really do not care how much it costs

or what country, or state, does or does not

I'd be fine with allowing the state to kill her

which is what she deserves

i'd de fine with life in jail, but i'd prefer general population.

then she'd get what she deserves, for sure

imo

It would be the ultimate deterrent for ICA, just as it was for Ted Bundy.

That is true! But what is meant by deterrent is whether it deters others from committing similar crimes.

The victim here, Caylee, was a helpless child. Casey is not legally deranged, and therefore is deserving of the same mercy she showed her child--None.

She could have left Caylee with her parents. She could have left Caylee with anyone else if she didn't want her, but she only saw Caylee as her personal property, and as personal property, felt she had the right to destroy her.

What does love mean to Casey?
A heart glued onto a piece of duct tape, no more, no less.
A chilling signature, and possibly, just possibly Casey's stamp of approval for what she'd done.

That is true! But what is meant by deterrent is whether it deters others from committing similar crimes.

I don't think the threat of punishment has ever deterred a criminal. It would deter me if I was planning a crime, but mostly it does not come onto the radar of those who will do whatever they want to do.They are not capable of forethought and reason.
It is a perfect deterrent to ICA ever taking a child's life again, and that's what it was designed to do IMO.

I vote for LWOP, I think that would be worse, geting the needle will causr her to suffer for like 2 minutes. MOO

If Caylee were murdered by a stranger or a serial killer would it make a difference in your opinion?

It doesn't in mine. ICA is a child murderer. Period. I am for the death penalty for people like her. However......

She is young and I would feel much more justice would be served if she did spend the rest of her life in jail eating baloney sammiches on white bread. GA and CA will be gone someday and she will have nobody but Lee. I doubt he will bother with her.

Death Row and all the appeals is only a sentence for taxpayers. It also serves as a magnet for death row groupies like Bolin. Like another poster said, LWOP and then just fade away into jail oblivion. I like the idea of ICA being in protective custody and being in a cell 23+1/2 hours a day.

I vote DP, mostly because I want the rest of her living to be done alone-- I really don't care if it takes 20 years to carry the penalty out-- I want socialization taken away, her manipulations neutered, her lies silenced. I want her to suffer her own thoughts and feelings, without the projections of others. I want her stripped of all her princess powers. jmo

Trust me, Casey is NOT going to suffer if she get LWOP in prison. She'll continue to manipulate and destroy anyone who comes in contact with her in prison.

Is she suffering in Jail? Absolutely Not!

Let her be alone for 23 hours a day in her small cell, with no one to talk to, let her be handcuffed everytime she is let out of her cell.

if she is on DR she will have NO power.

Trust me, Casey is NOT going to suffer if she get LWOP in prison. She'll continue to manipulate and destroy anyone who comes in contact with her in prison.

Is she suffering in Jail? Absolutely Not!

Let her be alone for 23 hours a day in her small cell, with no one to talk to, let her be handcuffed everytime she is let out of her cell.

if she is on DR she will have NO power.

I agree. If she goes to prison, I can just see her snagging one, if not more, 'protectors' and having a few of the other prisoners wrapped around her finger, with her manipulative ways. If there are male guards, I can also see her flirting and manipulating them, and receiving special privileges, as a result -- maybe even having contraband type items sneaked into the jail for her by male guards. Of course, there is her huge Casey fan club that sends her adoring letters, some of them filled with marriage proposals from men who are completely infatuated with her. And from what I've read, these same men send her money for her commissary account. In prison, they have television, exercise rooms, libraries, etc... nope, I don't think Casey is going to suffer all that much if she is placed in prison for the rest of her life. As always, however... JMO!

ICA is a child murderer. I am for the death penalty for people like her,she deserves to have her life taken.She is a cold blooded murderer who killed an innocent child and left her to rot in her trunk,then left her outside thrown away like trash.First she cheated Caylee out of having a father,paternal grandparents,aunts,uncles,maybe even siblings.Then she decided to cheat her out of her life IMO death is exactly what she deserves.

I do not support the death penalty either.

But, I think a mother who can calmly erase her own flesh and blood for profit is the lowest kind of killer. To me, killing for freedom is profit killing just like killing for cash.

ICA killing Caylee is every bit as bad as Scott Peterson killing Laci.

I vote for the needle

BBM-Sounds like you are a DP supporter but for only for certain victims.

I don't mean to sound flippant but when I hear people say they are anti-DP the next sentence is usually 'unless it's my child' or 'unless it's my family'. Followed by, 'then I could flip the switch myself'. It's the same sort of logic. They are really DP supporters but only for certain victims.

Hypothetical question: If a 60 year old is gunned down in the street for her purse, would you support the DP for her killer?

IMO

not sure how general population women would treat a baby killer.

i don't necessarily believe she could smooth talk a prison full of women.

I have to vote DP for Casey. LWOP might be horrible for you or I, but IMO for a sociopath its just another environment in which to play the sick mind games they love so well. Casey would adapt and adjust to prison life- forever- just fine. I want her to feel- if only for a few seconds- the terror poor Caylee felt as her life was snuffed out by her mother. I know Casey will never feel remorse.
She can't even speak her own child's name. She has no feelings of regret. Her only regret is she got caught.

Casey thought she could get away with killing Caylee because let's face it her parents let her get away with, I assume almost anything and surely they would let her get away with killing a person and face no actions what so ever.

I mean it's worked for her all those years right?

I agree. If she goes to prison, I can just see her snagging one, if not more, 'protectors' and having a few of the other prisoners wrapped around her finger, with her manipulative ways. If there are male guards, I can also see her flirting and manipulating them, and receiving special privileges, as a result -- maybe even having contraband type items sneaked into the jail for her by male guards. Of course, there is her huge Casey fan club that sends her adoring letters, some of them filled with marriage proposals from men who are completely infatuated with her. And from what I've read, these same men send her money for her commissary account. In prison, they have television, exercise rooms, libraries, etc... nope, I don't think Casey is going to suffer all that much if she is placed in prison for the rest of her life. As always, however... JMO!

Diane Downs, shortly before being sentenced to life in prison for the attempted murder of two of her babies and for the murder of one:

DOWNSTRIAL.JPG

Diane Downs now, looking like "a woman older than her actual years, white hair and sunken features, nearly unrecognizable from the bombshell blonde who once flounced unashamed past television news cameras in handcuffs and shackles." http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/in_prison_elizabeth_diane_down.html :

1273929510.jpg

The article I cited shows she has not changed. She is still the narcissistic and remorseless monster she was back then, but boy oh boy, prison has not been good to her. And that gives me some satisfaction.

I'm Canadian, we don't have the death penalty up here.

I cannot get behind the death penalty in any case until the system works itself out. The Innocence Project tells me that there are still some issues within the system.

If the state shows me exactly how she plannned it, and carried it out I may change my mind. But what I'm seeing right now is a disorganized killer who didn't plan anything.

LWOP...wish we had the same up here. In Canada Life equals 25 years, plus time off for good behaviour; unless you have been deemed a dangerous offender.

And I'm not even brain washed. I just don't think we're at the point where we can justify trusting the system to work properly. One innocent put to death for a crime they didn't commit is too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj