Decomposed Body found in Scurry Co.*3/16/13* - LE identified as being Hailey

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this has been mentioned. The water levels of many lakes in Texas is very low. Lake JB Thomas is recorded at less than 1% of full. Not sure how full it was two years ago, but a body put in a lake that long ago could probably decompose quite a bit. The lake is normally several miles, about 5, long satellite photos show it now about 1 mile.
Anyhow, you think if you dump a body in a lake, no one will ever find it, not so...!

DNA can be extracted from a small bit of bone or even a tooth. It takes some time but should not take weeks or months, IMO, to match a DNA sample against a sample from Billie, or from Hailey, if they have one.

Maybe they just want everything lined up so they can go in and arrest them both once the id is made public?

This is what I was thinking. Maybe they are looking for their #1 person of interest. They may be trying to decipher also what type of death this person died from. Example, chips on the bones, fractures, cuttings. Especially if they have the skull, it may tell a lot. I am just guessing, but if they release the ID of who the bones belong to, anyone how may be guilty in their demise could up and disappear or harm/kill someone else or possibly commit suicide. This may sound extreme but I would imagine LE is being cautious about how they handle certain things. Hopefully and especially since there has been some flack thrown their way on HD's case. As much as I want to know who these remains belong to, I'll wait a year if that's what it takes to serve justice on any victim of murder. JMO but I honestly have to say, in my heart and gut, I believe these remains are that of sweet HD. RIP sweet child.

Once they have identified remains, they inform relatives, they don't wait to convene grand juries.

If this was HD, we would know about it by now.

The wait actually makes me think it's her more than a quick ID. If it is HD the person/people who did this to her would know, and they would also know that at any moment LE will know. Maybe LE is using this to see how certain people act. Honestly there is no way to know what they're doing, but they probably know by now and if they aren't releasing it there's a reason. That could be a very good thing as far as getting this little girl some justice if it's her.

Then again with Skylar Neese they didn't release the ID for a month either.

Once they have identified remains, they inform relatives, they don't wait to convene grand juries.

If this was HD, we would know about it by now.

I imagine at this time there biggest priority is building a case against Billie and Shawn. I have doubts they would tell Clint immediately that the remains were Hailey in case he told Billie but in any event how do you know that Clint hasn't been told? Clint is a pretty private person and wouldn't go blabbing that it was Hailey if he was told not to.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe they are looking for their #1 person of interest. They may be trying to decipher also what type of death this person died from. Example, chips on the bones, fractures, cuttings. Especially if they have the skull, it may tell a lot. I am just guessing, but if they release the ID of who the bones belong to, anyone how may be guilty in their demise could up and disappear or harm/kill someone else or possibly commit suicide. This may sound extreme but I would imagine LE is being cautious about how they handle certain things. Hopefully and especially since there has been some flack thrown their way on HD's case. As much as I want to know who these remains belong to, I'll wait a year if that's what it takes to serve justice on any victim of murder. JMO but I honestly have to say, in my heart and gut, I believe these remains are that of sweet HD. RIP sweet child.

I believe they have two persons of interest but apart from that I totally agree with everything you say .

The wait actually makes me think it's her more than a quick ID. If it is HD the person/people who did this to her would know, and they would also know that at any moment LE will know. Maybe LE is using this to see how certain people act. Honestly there is no way to know what they're doing, but they probably know by now and if they aren't releasing it there's a reason. That could be a very good thing as far as getting this little girl some justice if it's her.

Then again with Skylar Neese they didn't release the ID for a month either.

If they have reasonable grounds to believe that it is a particular person, they will give a heads up to the families if something like DNA is being done to confirm.

They certainly will not withhold the identity from the families once they have made it in order to do a grand jury investigation. There is no need to do that. It is already public knowledge that a body has been found, if someone put the body there they would know it had been found irrespective of what DNA analysis revealed.

If they have reasonable grounds to believe that it is a particular person, they will give a heads up to the families if something like DNA is being done to confirm.

They certainly will not withhold the identity from the families once they have made it in order to do a grand jury investigation. There is no need to do that. It is already public knowledge that a body has been found, if someone put the body there they would know it had been found irrespective of what DNA analysis revealed.

You say that but there was the very strange announcement last week where Billie and Clint thanked everyone from the famous organisations at least that had helped in any way to look for Hailey, Many of us read it as if they was saying thank you and that it was all over.

BBM. I think that it is a given that DNA was/is going to be used to identify the skeletal remains. From what has been gleaned through the media, Hailey did not have a full set of dental xrays.

I don't think LE is going to notify the families of every single missing person that DNA is being performed on these skeletal remains. These remains could be anyone, from anywhere, from any decade.

I believe that when LE has a positive identification on these remains, and LE is prepared and ready to release the identity of this poor soul, is exactly when they will do it. I also feel that if LE believes that this person met their demise through foul play and a public announcement of the identity of the remains could jeopardize their investigation, they will with hold announcing the identification, even from the families. JMO.

This is just my opinion, but I don't personally believe that the fact that it took just two days to identify Katelyn Markham's remains have any bearing on this particular case at all. Indiana is not Texas. There are profound climatic differences between two entirely different geographical regions of the United States. What was the condition of the remains identified as belonging to Katelyn Markham? What additional evidence, (if any), was discovered at the site of Katelyn Markham's remains? Was it an intact skeleton? Did Katelyn Markham perhaps have dental records on file which enabled a quick identification? Just my perspective.

But how do those factors in any way make it more difficult to extract the DNA from the remains? The DNA is in the bones. Weather, length of time, environment, does not change the DNA. All they need to do is compare these remains with Billie's DNA. No match, not Hailey. What is so hard about that?

BBM. I think that it is a given that DNA was/is going to be used to identify the skeletal remains. From what has been gleaned through the media, Hailey did not have a full set of dental xrays.

I don't think LE is going to notify the families of every single missing person that DNA is being performed on these skeletal remains. These remains could be anyone, from anywhere, from any decade.

I believe that when LE has a positive identification on these remains, and LE is prepared and ready to release the identity of this poor soul, is exactly when they will do it. I also feel that if LE believes that this person met their demise through foul play and a public announcement of the identity of the remains could jeopardize their investigation, they will with hold announcing the identification, even from the families. JMO.

By now I'd have expected that if it was NOT her, they would know.

One thing is for sure, whoever put the body there knows who's it is.

One thing is for sure, whoever put the body there knows who's it is.

I've been wondering what LE is observing in Billie and Shawn's demeanor. That is, if they are guilty of this crime. Are they behaving as though it is her, or that it isn't? Oh, to be a fly on the wall.....

Remember Crazy Anthony's reaction they day that remains were found near the Anthony home, but before they were identified? Oh, yeah. Everyone KNEW exactly who it was. And yet she still got off.

But how do those factors in any way make it more difficult to extract the DNA from the remains? The DNA is in the bones. Weather, length of time, environment, does not change the DNA. All they need to do is compare these remains with Billie's DNA. No match, not Hailey. What is so hard about that?

Oh, but weather, length of time, and environment DO change the DNA. It deteriorates over time even in the bones, and recovering a sample large enough and good enough to use for identification can be time-consuming and difficult.

In another context, I read that the North Texas DNA lab has tens of thousands of UIDs from all over the country and the queue is currently around four years. I don't know whether the other Texas labs are similarly backed up, and presumably an active criminal case would have some priority, but there's a lot of work to be done and every one of them is critically important to some father, mother, son, daughter, sibling, grandparent...

Oh, but weather, length of time, and environment DO change the DNA. It deteriorates over time even in the bones, and recovering a sample large enough and good enough to use for identification can be time-consuming and difficult.

In another context, I read that the North Texas DNA lab has tens of thousands of UIDs from all over the country and the queue is currently around four years. I don't know whether the other Texas labs are similarly backed up, and presumably an active criminal case would have some priority, but there's a lot of work to be done and every one of them is critically important to some father, mother, son, daughter, sibling, grandparent...

Then maybe TX should consider sending some of the remains to labs in Indiana, Ohio, Virginia....they seem to be able to ID remains within a week. ;)

Then maybe TX should consider sending some of the remains to labs in Indiana, Ohio, Virginia....they seem to be able to ID remains within a week. ;)

It would probably be a good idea if they could come up with a system to distribute the load. I know MA is another state that's totally overloaded and dealing with serious quality issues in the state lab. But then they probably couldn't afford to pay another state's fees, either...It's such a mess.

I can't imagine the agonizing wait for your loved one to be found, only to be followed by years in limbo waiting for DNA results from a backlogged agency, when it could be done so much quicker elsewhere. To hear news reports of remains in other states being ID'd very quickly must be torturous on families in TX.

I can't imagine the agonizing wait for your loved one to be found, only to be followed by years in limbo waiting for DNA results from a backlogged agency, when it could be done so much quicker elsewhere. To hear news reports of remains in other states being ID'd very quickly must be torturous on families in TX.

Indeed. Or in any of the other backlogged states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne