*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Society tries to keep track of sinus medicine, terrorists, car theives, missing children, sex offenders, peoples income, credit useage etc etc. another list, another 450 hours of legislation preparation etc is not IMO, gonna change a whole lot!

In The Dark Knight, the Joker is the embodiment of chaos for the sake of chaos. He exist simply to show the futility of control. Quoting him...

It’s the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had plans. Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it. You know, I just… do things. The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon’s got plans. You know, they’re schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I’m not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are

More attempts at control will only spawn more jokers.

JMO

I realizie this will not be popular and i havent read the previous posts, so I apologize if I am repeating others ideas, but:

I simply do not understand how normally intelligent people fail to make the obvious connection between this societies fascination with and acceptance of the glorification of violence as a PRIMARY cause of incidents like this one.

Recently I was a guest in a friends home. Their 21 year old son came home from college while I was visiting. Apparently a brand new virtual video (Wii) game became available the day the young man arrived home from college. It was all set up in his room. The large screen TV, the dynamite audio system, the new video game. In that game the player is a shooter in a darkened city scene. targets emerge willy nilly, while the player moves across a rather bleak, darkened city scene, which looks a lot like a middle eastern city under seige.

My friends are upper middle class retirees with two other highly successful children to their credit, the young mans sisters.

The son came home, went in his room and played this shoot and kill game for hours. I watched for several minutes. It was a VERY realistic depiction of a shooter in a darkened city firefight.

When the Aurora shooting happened I immediately made the connection, before I learned the murderer had died his hair red, and decked himself in clothes one of the surviving victims described as "looking like he stepped out of a video game." On TV a mass media enthusiast opined that the murderer could not have been mimicking anything in this movie because he had not seen this movie. Another panel member somewhat sheepishly responded that the Joker had red hair in the last movie. and if you saw that movie you are aware the joker was intent on destroying one group of "citizens" after another in as violent a manner as possible.

I tell you it is as obvious as it can be that this society allows its mass entertainment media to be saturated with one murderous event after another, which the youth of this society is transfixed by in as unhealthy a manner as possible. One commentator gave the information that by the time an American youth is 18 he/she has seen over 250,000 muredrous encounters on TV alone.

Now, just please dont point out that most young adults dont turn murderous as evidence that fostering and promoting violence in a culture is not partially to blame for events like this. It is not the norm that are most vulnerable to popular cultural pressures; it is the at risk, marginal person that will inevitablly crack.

and that cracked individual will use whatever tools and whatever avenues of expression to act out his/her new reality they are familier with.

what is hard to fathom is how we act like we cant see this. CBS "Sunday Morning: began with an expression of disbelief that this happened and asked, "why"?

"Why" indeed. The real mystery is that it happens so SELDOM. Not that it happens.

What exactly was the hazardous materials he bought?

There are many, many things that alone, are not dangerous or hazardous....but mixed with something else become dangerous. It's not hard to search around and find out how to make a common household items hazardous. By all accounts, the guy was smart. He was in the science field. He knew chemistry pretty well then.

You know what I carry hidden in my car for protection...........Easy off oven cleaner. I use to work in a cov. store and I kept a can of it behind the counter. My mgr. use to laugh at me about that. He told me it wouldn't work. I told him "all women that have used easy off know FOR SURE it would cause some serious pain"

There are lot of things we used every day which are hazardous materials.

"Household products are hazardous if they include ingredients that, during use, storage, or disposal, pose dangers to human health or the environment. A variety of household products are hazardous. Motor oil, pesticides, oil-based paints, mothballs, flea collars, weed killers, and some household cleaners may seem like everyday items, but are examples of household hazardous products."
http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/health/ehhm/hazmatls.html

The height on this listing is 5 '11". I don't think he was 6' 3". Men don't usually make themselves shorter when posting on websites such as Match.com. If anything they would add to their height.

I am a legitimate 6'4". I am frequently amused by guys who say that they are 6'2" or even 6'5" who are a full head shorter than me.

Now my question is , who on earth would need to purchase stuff like this personally? If Swat team member etc organization would purchase this stuff for you no?

Not necessarily. My department only provides the uniform, badge, ID, and vehicle. Everything else (leather gear, firearm, etc) we have to purchase on our own. There are some other things that they provide, but a lot of it is left up to us.

Plus some agencies that issue you everything you need do not allow you to use it when you are working extra jobs, which necessitate the officer purchasing items themselves.

My first agency issued us our handguns and you had a choice of a shotgun or an AR-15. If you picked a shotgun, you could purchase your own AR-15 or vice-versa.

I wish there was a system to red flag the type of orders he placed.

Just waking up- morning all!

So the second POI has been ruled by PD to not be involved?

Just waking up- morning all!

So the second POI has been ruled by PD to not be involved?

I think second POI was only suspected of sending electronic communication, not being involved in the shooting.

Seems like a fairly normal goofy/nerdy teen in that video. He wanted to own a Slurpee machine!

Seems like a fairly normal goofy/nerdy teen in that video. He wanted to own a Slurpee machine!

Yes, he seems slightly awkward, but certainly nothing to suggest he was going to become an alleged mass killer.

Something about this case brings to mind the movie "A Beautiful Mind" , a biographical film about John Nash, a Nobel Laureate from Princeton University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)

..."In the film, schizophrenic hallucinations appeared while he was in graduate school, when in fact they did not show up until some years later."....

The perhaps similarity is that a very intelligent human being did not apparently show any/many discernable signs of a psychological break / paranoid schizophrenia (in the case of John Nash) until beyond his teens....

Something about this case brings to mind the movie "A Beautiful Mind" , a biographical film about John Nash, a Nobel Laureate from Princeton University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)

..."In the film, schizophrenic hallucinations appeared while he was in graduate school, when in fact they did not show up until some years later."....

The perhaps similarity is that a very intelligent human being did not apparently show any/many discernable signs of a psychological break / paranoid schizophrenia (in the case of John Nash) until beyond his teens....

I really want to correct an erroneous assumption that all mass killers are mentally ill. It's not accurate.

"Those who commit mass murders are often angry and isolated, but usually aren't mentally ill, violence experts said Friday after a shooting during the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater. James Holmes was arrested as a suspect in the shooting that killed 12 people and wounded 59 others."
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ally-ill-but-seeking-revenge-experts-say?lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo