*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
that he has been 'cured' of his mental health issues................

From what I learned here (Luka) it sounded like Canada does a lot of "cure" then release.

Anyone know here , in America, do we do that often?

If convicted, he will never be released. ***I did not phrase this first part right.** If he is found "insane" he will be in a mental health facility for life, no trial. I doubt this will happen.

If convicted and he is not "insane" he is looking at life incarceration or death penalty if the prosecutor and victim families decide to put death penalty on the table.

Yes, and what's scarryer is if he succeeds. Omg, I think he just might be smart enough to do just that. From what I've been hearing from the media today regarding his appearance it frightens me. We all know how much influence media has. They are playing right into his claws. Omg, I could not imagine being in the same room today with that "thing." I think I would have to be disbared before I would be his public defender sitting next to him today.
COuld the appointed def attorn have refused if she wanted?

Second, most people with mental illness have times when it is really affecting them and times when it is not]

That was what I was attempting to share with list of folks who suffer with MI but do not walk around looking mad/insane dangerous!

professors take them out for beers at the end of the semester:

In grad school we went out with proff several times , pretty much with each one more than once !
:

Intensly so re:
school could be hiding something

RE: Virginia Tech folks

Judge Theodore J. Markow approved an $11 million settlement in a suit against the state of Virginia by 24 of the 32 victims' families.

The Department of Education fined the University $55,000 on March 29, 2011 for waiting too long to notify students of the initial shootings. The fine was the highest amount that the Department of Education could levy

"While Virginia Tech's violations warrant a fine far in excess of what is currently permissible under the statute, the department's fine authority is limited".

On March 14, 2012, a jury found that Virginia Tech was guilty of negligence for delaying a campus warning.[137] The parents of two students who were killed filed a wrongful death civil lawsuit

sadly it all comes back to the buck$
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre#Legal_aftermath

Or you are told you have two choices - withdraw- or we will refuse to allow you to continue in our program based on ....................

IMO that is what happened

If your not concerned about anything

2012 University of Colorado-Denver officials said faculty in the neuroscience graduate program handled themselves appropriately in interactions with shooting suspect James Holmes.

From Feb post:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...205251926.html

IMO, it has Virginia Tech admin problems all over it - felt that way from day 1 just my opin!

It's an easier pill to swallow, perhaps? After all, the idea that someone who is "normal" could do something so evil, means that anyone... your neighbor, mine, anyone... could do this. I also think that is why people think they can detect evil on the face of (wo)man. Or, mental illness, for that matter. Helps them to sleep better at night. Whatever way we lean, whether we think the guy is mentally ill, just plain evil, or somewhere in between, people still want to know why.

We want the "tells."

It's our nature, after all. It's how we managed to make it to the top of the food chain. That is, being able to detect and deter danger. We're really good pattern matching machines. And what that means is that we can, for the most part, go about our daily lives without having to attend to tons of distractions. Distractions that have been unconsciously filed away as "non-threatening." For example, the train whistle that no longer wakes us at night after having lived in a place for awhile. So, when something deviates, we are immediately alerted and can respond appropriately. Get out of harms way... or defend, if necessary.

When tragedies like these occur, however, they shake our world. Make it feel less safe. So, we look for tells. For a way to return to equilibrium. And sure, in hindsight, we may think we see them... you know, the warning signs? But in reality, most of the so-called tells are still nothing more than empty speculation that is not backed up by science. Even so, we demand "signs." Explanations. When there rarely are any. We (the universal we) have been trying to identify "evil" for ages. Literally. Since the days of Aristotle, in fact. ( link )

As for mental illness speculations wrt this case. Here is what one forensic psychologist has to say. ( link )

Our field is positioned to help the public separate the wheat from the chaff. We can discuss the complex admixture of entitlement, alienation and despair that contributes to these catastrophic explosions.

[...]

But we should also recognize the limitations of our discipline’s micro focus on the individual, and encourage the public to grapple with the larger issues raised by this cultural affliction of the late-20th and early 21st century. As I commented last year in regard to the media coverage of the Jared Loughner shooting rampage in Arizona, journalists need to train a macro lens on the cultural forces that lead disaffected middle-class men -- like canaries in a coal mine -- to periodically self-implode with rage. Disciplines such as sociology, anthropology and cultural studies have much to contribute to this much-needed analysis.

:goodpost:

I would suppose ones perception of an argument is subjective notion.

One person's notion than an argument is occurring could be another’s notion of debate, dialog, talking, learning, discussion of issues; rebutting, refuting, agreeing to disagree, etc. No?

Same could, I suppose, be said of speculation, which in reality, is what this whole situation is. Not only to all of us here, but to the world, the talking heads, newspaper reporters, lawyers, LE, because none of us really are sure.

In day to day life we encounter folks we differ with, the notion that it should be different here is probably an impossiblity!

IMO, Both (argument/speculation) are subjective
Just my notions........................

COuld the appointed def attorn have refused if she wanted?
She would have to provide a solid legal reason to do so. Simply stating that his actions disgust her, or she believes he's guilty isn't enough for a judge to dismiss her.
Conversely, if JH wanted another public defender assigned to his case, he would have to go before a judge and prove his pd's incompetence.

Above is mo only.

Colorado shooting: how James Holmes fits into the history of rampage killers

The latest senseless rampage to shock America will never be forgotten. This country still remembers the 1999 Columbine school shootings, for example. Indeed, you wouldn't be alone if the murder spree, apparently carried out by PhD student James Holmes, triggered memories of other mass killings like Columbine.

Holmes' loner personality is very familiar for that of a mass shooter. The suspect also falls in line with the 95% of rampage killers since 1949 that were men.

But beyond these basic descriptions, how does Holmes fit into the history of rampage killers?

What I've done is gathered some basic statistics to try and determine how Holmes is like and unlike past mass murderers. I looked at 165 mass killers from 1949 to the present day. It's definitely possible that I missed some murders though I believe I have a solid baseline.

more at the link. Interesting read. IMO

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/21/colorado-shooting-james-holmes-history

My hunch from the beginning was that this was a copy cat angle from Norway. He had wanted a diversion, was taken by surprise at the speed at which LE got on the scene and that (now in the back of a police car!) it was probably better that he do at least something to reduce future consequences.

I also pondered (intent to divert) that since that did not work did he have some attachement (no matter how minimal) to someone who lived there?
Just my opin thoughts

How insane is it to...

- purchase multiple guns weeks ahead
- order multiple rounds of ammo weeks ahead
- rig your apartment (must have been done carefully & backward toward the door, don't want those booby traps to 'splode as you fumble off some morning to brush your teeth after all) so again, rig your apartment to blow up when perhaps your neighbor jostled or nudged your front door due to the
- previously arranged blaring techno music

Not to mention...

- buy a ticket at front entrance in clothing that would not raise eyebrows
- sneak out emergency exit to armor and arm up
- slink back in through propped-open emergency door to perform one of the most disgustingly hideous & heinous acts of cowardice ever perpetrated upon an innocent group of human beings.

Mentally ill? IMO, Yes.

Legally insane? IMO, No.

How about allegedly taking vicodin before? Has anyone considered that he took painkillers before so if he was shot by police he wouldn't feel so much pain. Inflict horrendous pain, but not feel pain himself. He was coherent enough to understand what pain was!

<modsnip>

Plus when you think about it, if the goal was to rack up a very high body count quickly a packed movie theater on opening night is a darn good place to do it.

It is jammed with people, dark, they can't flee quickly or hide anywhere, people would rush into the jammed isles, plus no armed guards or police presence. I can't think of another place that would be better (with no armed security).

Shooting fish in a barrel.

100 mg of Vicodin is nothing. We theorized that he may have taken 100 mg to slow his heart beat during the carnage or something ridiculous like that. Vicodin also turns me into a raging NUT when I take it. I become extremely angry. I have to warn my family to leave me alone when I take it. I swear it is as bad as steroids lol
Thank you for warning us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I read it ( I think it was your post - was great) but gosh as I was going through it it was like they are not even gonna be able to say if they breathed in the last 40 seconds!

My little sister was up there during all that scary!

How about allegedly taking vicodin before? Has anyone considered that he took painkillers before so if he was shot by police he wouldn't feel so much pain. Inflict horrendous pain, but not feel pain himself. He was coherent enough to understand what pain was!

I agree about the Vicodin. If he took it before the shootings, then he most likely did his research beforehand and found online that other shooters have used painkillers when wearing body armor. (The N. Hollywood Shootout comes to mind). I wonder where he got it?

All JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member