*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My memory is not so good. So I can’t state them off hand.
But I bolded the years you stated, and they are rare.
I am sure if we go looking into the past 10 years we will find
far more then what you have stated. :(

:(

Perhaps part of the reason for the increase in mass killings is the media. If this happened in the 40's or 50's, chances are it would have gotten very little "play" outside the local area. As time has gone on, the media exposure has gotten wider and wider - until today when the perp's name and image gets splashed all over tv, the internet and the front pages for days if not weeks.

If one wants attention, it's far too easy to get these days.

Perhaps if we stopped giving these guys so much publicity, similar events would happen less often. IMHO, put the guy's name and face out there ONCE, so that possible witnesses can see and say "Wait, I know him!" - then stop showing his photo and refer to him only as "the perp" or "the shooter."

I think he fits a couple of those criteria haha.

I agree. He should face federal charges. I have not heard of it yet. I remember when Jared Loughner was caught, he was in federal custody, unlike James Holmes, who is in Arapahoe County Jail.

If he was heavily involved with his program at the university it is somewhat understandable he wouldn't be leading much of a social life. Many academics are somewhat of the loners due to their intense interest in their studies. From what I understand this was his basic personality dating back to high school. He wasn't completely withdrawn, however, being a camp counselor four years ago. In other words, there may not have been legitimate signs of a mental disorder.

MOO

Hmm.. I am just wondering what caused this-
"
Holmes had always excelled in his studies, but earlier this year, that once exemplary academic record took a dramatic downward spiral. Indeed, he was struggling so badly that last month he told the college that was going to drop out."

""He was a nice guy, who very much wanted to be liked and wanted," the young woman, who did not want to be named, told NBC News. "He was a very, very smart guy. I honestly cannot believe he could do this. I know, I know, everyone says that. But it is truly devastating to me.
"He did not have many friends for someone who wanted to be liked. And he loved all the villains in super-hero stuff, which I did point out as odd. Most people enjoy the hero."

"But he could not find a job after graduating, working at a McDonald's before returning to his studies in Colorado in May 2011. "I felt bad for him because he studied so hard," said Christine. "My brother said he looked kind of down; he seemed depressed."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-James-Holmes-the-making-of-a-sick-Joker.html

Just wondering what happened...

I have not heard of of any federal charges against him yet. If he goes to the ADX Florence Penitentiary, it likely would be from killing those two military personnels. That supermax is for terrorists, traitors, gangs, and really dangerous criminals.

During the presser yesterday, it was said they intend to keep charges at the State level, the U.S. Attorney and local DA for the area were consulted. For now.

Well if this guy wasn't a loner before he WILL be once he gets sentenced. He's probably going to ADX Florence Penitentiary He will be locked up in isolation 23 hours a day with minimal human contact for the rest of his life. Also, if he wasn't insane before he WILL be soon.

Actually his crimes fall under state jurisdiction. So he will end up at Colorado Supermax down the road a bit from ADX Florence.

Hmm.. I am just wondering what caused this-
"
Holmes had always excelled in his studies, but earlier this year, that once exemplary academic record took a dramatic downward spiral. Indeed, he was struggling so badly that last month he told the college that was going to drop out."

""He was a nice guy, who very much wanted to be liked and wanted," the young woman, who did not want to be named, told NBC News. "He was a very, very smart guy. I honestly cannot believe he could do this. I know, I know, everyone says that. But it is truly devastating to me.
"He did not have many friends for someone who wanted to be liked. And he loved all the villains in super-hero stuff, which I did point out as odd. Most people enjoy the hero."

"But he could not find a job after graduating, working at a McDonald's before returning to his studies in Colorado in May 2011. "I felt bad for him because he studied so hard," said Christine. "My brother said he looked kind of down; he seemed depressed."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-James-Holmes-the-making-of-a-sick-Joker.html

Just wondering what happened...

Graduating at the top of class and than not be able to find a job-that could make someone angry at the world. Him struggling at grad school-I presume he lost interest. If he was planning this well in advance he wasn't going to graduate anyway.

His downstairs neighbor claims that the first time loud music coming out from his apartment was on the night in question.

That was my understanding as well. If this occurred even on one prior occasion it would undermine his "plan", assuming it was to lure someone or a call to LE to the booby-trapped apartment.

MOO

His downstairs neighbor claims that the first time loud music coming out from his apartment was on the night in question.

Supposedly other people had heard the music previously. Maybe it was nights when the neighbor was out? Or perhaps she hadn't lived there that long?

In California, if you call police and tell them that someone is threatening suicide, or is a danger to themselves or others, they will arrive, place the person on a 5150 hold (3-day inpatient stay) and will be transported by ambulance to a psych hospital.

California police are very good at accessing situations and many have training to deal with psych issues and domestic violence. I've seen them talk to the person to determine if there's some threat. My point being, we need to value their jobs, and make sure there's funds to have a good police force to keep them highly trained in all situations.

Supposedly other people had heard the music previously. Maybe it was nights when the neighbor was out? Or perhaps she hadn't lived there that long?

Yes, I read one neighbor who stated he played the same Techno song over and over.

I don't know who these other people are. Did they even know what they were talking about? I presume downstairs neighbor knew what she was talking about since she lives in the building.

It is my understanding that James Holmes was particularly interested in the neuroscience of “temporal illusions,” which is related to time perception. As is addressed in the following article, psychoactive substances can significantly alter one’s perception of time, as can various clinical disorders and personality characteristics.

Time perception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just speculating, but perhaps James Holmes was doing a bit of psychoactive substance experimentation using himself as the subject, which precipitated the onset of a clinical disorder to which he was predisposed.

I’m not suggesting he did not know what he was doing.
Russell

Interesting. It would be interesting to do a BRACE profile on Holmes.

I had no social life when I went to law school, aside from student get togethers now and them it is very competitive and not much time for screwing around. And law school is nothing compared to med school or a PhD in neuroscience. I cant imagine the dedication and extra hours put in to be successful in those areas of academia.

Don't think I'd say "no social life"...but being an engineering student...it was pretty tough...enough time for some "hoots"...and I elected for more "hoots" than a straight 4.0 or 5.0 (whatever your reference scale)...

But...however "tough" the curriculum...there were football players, partiers, socializers, nerds, and loners....all engineering students..

There is something definitley genetic, drug-induced, or nurtured for that sort of aberration to occur...

But what could be done? There's nothing illegal with having a weird answering machine message (with Batman references) or having Cheers as your email salutation. I actually laughed at the Cheers because I have a very normal friend who signs hers with that and she is not a mass murderer or even close.

If we locked up every person in the US for being weird, more people would be in than out.

Ha, I laughed at the cheers thing too. As someone in academia, I can tell you signing emails with "Cheers" is very, very common. My advisor along with other faculty members in my department all sign their emails with cheers. Given that he was in academia as well, it's not that weird.

Don't think I'd say "no social life"...but being an engineering student...it was pretty tough...enough time for some "hoots"...and I elected for more "hoots" than a straight 4.0 or 5.0 (whatever your reference scale)...

But...however "tough" the curriculum...there were football players, partiers, socializers, nerds, and loners....all engineering students..

There is something definitley genetic, drug-induced, or nurtured for that sort of aberration to occur...

Quite a few highly intelligent people are a bit off socially. They are more interested in whatever it is they are studying than social interactions with football players. That normally doesn't mean they are going to go commit mass murders.

Hopefully, we will get more answers of what led up to this as the investigation unfolds.

I think what is so hard to grasp is there was no signs that we know of so far. He didn't have a history or violence, mental illness or drug usage. No one so far has said that he was acting bizarre before he did this. We may find out different as time goes on but for now that's all we know.

This makes it so hard, because we want answers so we can prevent things like this from happening in the future. Sometimes,it ends up that there just aren't any answers.

Usually I am the last person to believe a defendant may be truly mentally ill unless there is a solid documented history of it but something had to happen to this man to make him turnout to be one of Amercia's worst home grown terrorists ever.

He did seem to always be sort of an odd duck but there are a lot of people like that who would never harm a soul.

I dont know if it is going to come down to mental illness or if he had an agenda behind his madness. I think if he is a fanatic of some type he will want it known why he did this.

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member