Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What IS a swamp cooler?

-Someone from the Monterey Bay who likes fog and hates heat
I think it's sorta like a big fan that's installed in a window frame???

Holy cow I vividly remember that book! I can't get enough of Bugliosi as an author in general, but was especially disturbed (fascinated and obsessed) reading "And the Sea Will Tell". I think it had such an impact on me because I had met men like that and it is a visceral fear knowing in the back of your mind that there is absolutely no morality living in there. I'd read it again in a heartbeat because it's such an education into the psyches and personalities of both antagonists. I always thought this particular book provides narratives and descriptions that should be included (maybe are) in some of the clinical books on psychology/psychiatry or just plain evil. Readers also get the interesting process of investigation and trial.

Excellent book.

OT

Have you seen this article from 2014? http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/apr/18/murder-trial-bugliosi-graham-sailboat-palmyra-fbi/

Muff Graham's remains were never buried!

Snip: "While researching the case of a San Diego sailing couple brutally murdered on Palmyra Island in 1974, retired L.A. deputy public defender Tom Bucy, made a surprising discovery.

A law school student in Hawaii had written an article about handling a bag containing the skull of one of the victims in the spring of 2009 during a classroom lecture by an FBI agent.

Bucy was amazed that the remains of slain sailor Eleanor “Muff” Graham remained unclaimed in FBI storage so long after the trial instead of receiving a proper burial, and he vowed to do something about it."

What IS a swamp cooler?

I didn't really know either, so I looked it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

An evaporative cooler (also swamp cooler, desert cooler and wet air cooler) is a device that cools air through the evaporation of water. Evaporative cooling differs from typical air conditioning systems which use vapor-compression or absorption refrigeration cycles. Evaporative cooling works by employing water's large enthalpy of vaporization.

I didn't really know either, so I looked it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

An evaporative cooler (also swamp cooler, desert cooler and wet air cooler) is a device that cools air through the evaporation of water. Evaporative cooling differs from typical air conditioning systems which use vapor-compression or absorption refrigeration cycles. Evaporative cooling works by employing water's large enthalpy of vaporization.

Thanks. The name suggested something like this to me; a "wet" cooler. I come from a place where I never have to use air conditioning, so I just can't imagine. Are they effective? Maybe a swamp cooler adds a little humidity to the dry desert air? That tiny cell on DR where she starts her time must get pretty stuffy and hot. Good thing summer is just around the corner.

A swamp cooler uses the basic principle of evaporation along with simple technology and electrical power to create cold airflow. First, one motor pumps water into pads of a fibrous, absorbent substance similar to hay, called cellulose. Then another motor powers a fan that pushes air through the pad, which is always full with fresh water.

When the entering air is very hot and very dry, some of the water evaporates into it. Evaporation needs molecular energy, otherwise known as heat, which ends up reducing the temperature of the air and adding humidity. Finally, the cooler air is pushed through a duct into a central location in the building that is being cooled, such as a hallway or main room.

What IS a swamp cooler?

it's an evaporative cooler-a fan is blown over water soaked shredded wood pads to create a cooling effect. The work well until the temps are in the high 90s and 100º

I don't know if they have swamp coolers or not. I know that Sheriff Joe's tent city does not have anything. I don't feel sorry for Arias, I wish she could die the same fate as what she dolled out but that is not how our system works, so suffering in the heat will have to suffice.

I believe they are allowed to buy 1 fan from commissary.

Betty Brodrick came up for parole and it was denied again. Two of her children didn't want her released, and two did. But the brothers of both victims gave excellent reasons why she should never be released and from what the head of the parole board said he didn't either. He said she was still living in the past and blaming the victims and not taking responsibility for her actions. PAROLE DENIED.

Diana Downs also came up for parole in 2010 and she was denied. She wrote a 12 page letter to PB and complained about her treatment in prison and never mentioned her kids. This is an earlier version of CMJA. A total narcissist. It's all about them. Downs can't apply for parole again until 2020. She is really looking old. You need to read up on this nut job. She sounds just like CMJA talking. Told three different stories, and two masked men were in one of them. Do you think CMJA read Ann Rule's "Small Sacrifices" and got the idea of the ninja's from it?

Diane Downs spiel was that the kids were shot by a "shaggy-haired stranger" on a dark road. I doubt Downs will ever get out of prison. She is notorious. In addition to her own acknowledged kids, I believe she was a surrogate to at least 2 others.

But, yes, Downs and CMJA are two peas in a pod.

The prosecutor at her trial (who adopted the two surviving kids Downs shot) would likely be at any parole hearing. It would not go well for Downs.

Where did you get current info on her?

What IS a swamp cooler?

It a water cooled air system. Water flows through tubes and the fan blows the cooled air into the room. Only sort of works and ONLY works in dry climates. Used a lot out here in Santa Fe, NM (dry climate) .... aka Evaporative Cooler: http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/swamp-cooler.htm

We also have to add a humidifier to central heat out here in NM. Well ... some of us do. lol. Others use hot water heated base board heaters or in newer homes heated floors.

It is not out of the realm of possibility with her cult following. Remember the guy who called out to her in court last summer..."Love you, Jodi" or something like that. :eek:

It's my understanding that there is a letter writing campaign underway right now, with the minions writing letters to JSS asking for leniency for their beloved. Hopefully, JSS will throw them in the trash without so much as a look.

Isn't it the "judge's assistant" that is supposed to screen those type of things so they never even get to the judge? Oh wait... :/

In "Slumber Party From Hell" the author says the evaporative coolers are "useless" once the temperature reaches above 90. The offices and classrooms have regular AC and when it breaks it's fixed in a hurry. When she arrived in Perryville the swamp coolers had been broken for three months and it took a few more months before the 30 year old coolers were fixed. She writes the summer (her first) was "indescribable". Her cell was in a particularly hot part of the prison that was like "an oven". The guards even refused to enter. She would lay day after day in a pool of sweat (this was the year before fans were allowed to be purchased). The heat causes tempers to flare and some inmates have seizures due to it

At some point, and hopefully soon, the lure of and obsession with Arias will abate and people will refrain from seeing everything through the hazy lens filter of All-Arias-All-the-Time. This disordered murderer has been treated by a rapt audience as if she is the most important and most dangerous killer evah evah to walk the earth, by those who spend a lot of waking time hating her. She feeds off all that energy, even the negative energy. The family of TA feeling that way is understandable, as are his closest friends, but she has captured thousands upon thousands who hang on every possible detail.
I don't think Jodi feeds off negative energy. I think the thing that she hates and fears most is that people have seen her true ugly self, and feel nothing but disgust, contempt and revulsion for her. Jodi desperately wants people to admire her, look up to her and validate her narcissism and delusions of superiority. That's why she refuses to speak to any reporters who criticize her, and she calls them 'haters'. For all of Jodi's pathetic life she has never belonged, she's never been good enough, pretty enough, clever enough, and that is the thing that chaps her narcissistic a$$ most - she's just not good enough, in ANY aspect of her life. She was good enough for superficial sexual encounters but not good enough to respect or marry. She never had a good job, she never did anything kind and admirable, even if it was rescuing puppies or donating to a shelter. Even CMJA's art and so-called photography is average and hollow, just copies/tracings from other talented individuals. Everything CMJA touched turned to garbage - she knows she's a failure and that everyone sees through her laughable sham of a life. She's been thoroughly humiliated and she hates it.

It a water cooled air system. Water flows through tubes and the fan blows the cooled air into the room. Only sort of works and ONLY works in dry climates. Used a lot out here in Santa Fe, NM (dry climate) .... aka Evaporative Cooler: http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/swamp-cooler.htm

We also have to add a humidifier to central heat out here in NM. Well ... some of us do. lol. Others use hot water heated base board heaters or in newer homes heated floors.

I, too, was trying to figure out the thinking behind swamp coolers. Coming from an area where summers are very hot and humid, I don't see how they can possibly do much to relieve the heat. Around here, 95 degrees and 90% humidity is really oppressive. Thus the saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

Water molecules HOLD heat. In the winter, I often leave a pot of water on the stove to keep the house warmer.

I guess I just don't fully understand arid conditions...

Diane Downs spiel was that the kids were shot by a "shaggy-haired stranger" on a dark road. I doubt Downs will ever get out of prison. She is notorious. In addition to her own acknowledged kids, I believe she was a surrogate to at least 2 others.

But, yes, Downs and CMJA are two peas in a pod.

The prosecutor at her trial (who adopted the two surviving kids Downs shot) would likely be at any parole hearing. It would not go well for Downs.

Where did you get current info on her?

I got my information from the Internet, where else. LOL There are several videos you can watch and in one of them the parole board asked Diana why she told three different storys and she says the police got mixed up when she was telling them about her dreams. At one point she even says the prosecution wanted her to testify against her ex husband, the father of the children, shot the children. Obviously they didn't believe her. She says she dreamed two masked men shot the kids and that was why the prosecution claimed she told a different story. This woman can answer any question they asked her but it's all BS and they knew it The evidence didn't match any story she came up with. Just like Betty Brodrick and CMJA

I don't think Jodi feeds off negative energy. I think the thing that she hates and fears most is that people have seen her true ugly self, and feel nothing but disgust, contempt and revulsion for her. Jodi desperately wants people to admire her, look up to her and validate her narcissism and delusions of superiority. That's why she refuses to speak to any reporters who criticize her, and she calls them 'haters'. For all of Jodi's pathetic life she has never belonged, she's never been good enough, and that is the thing that chaps her narcissistic a$$ most - she's just not good enough, in ANY aspect of her life. She was good enough for superficial sexual encounters but not good enough to respect or marry. She never had a good job, she never did anything kind and admirable, even if it was rescuing puppies or donating to a shelter. Even CMJA's art and so-called photography is average and hollow, just copies/tracings from other talented individuals. Everything CMJA touched turned to garbage - she knows she's a failure and that everyone sees through her laughable sham of a life. She's been thoroughly humiliated and she hates it.

You are the second person today that described this monster perfectly. Kim Anne Whittemore, wrote an e-book about her and she describes her as average looking woman who knew how to use blond hair dye, breast implants, cosmetics and sexual acrobatics for maximum effect. Unlike the mass media portraying her as a beautiful photographer and bomb shell beauty, she was just a 32 year old average looking part time waitress from Yreka, CA that liked to take pictures of herself and edit them.

I know that Travis' loved ones are grateful for our support. It has helped them in so many ways. I think even Juan Martinez appreciates it. I'm okay with the time and effort I've put into this case. It has been worth it for me. I am eagerly waiting for Monday. Once Arias is sent off to prison then I will mostly only think of beautiful Travis and his wonderful family. I'll continue to follow Juan's cases. Hopefully I'll be able to forget the murderess. She is the stuff of nightmares.

Agreed. I had seen Juan Martinez before on shows like "Snapped." By far my favorite take-away from this trial was being able to see him in action. I'm not a terribly religious person, but I think there must be a special place in heaven for people like him; those who fight for victims whose voices have been silenced. What he does is so honorable, and the way he does it is so passionate, artful and articulate.

Jodi (lyingly) said Travis expressed something to the effect that if he could marry her, he would have won the wife lottery. Whatever, Jodi. But I do think the Alexander family won the prosecutor lottery by having had Juan Martinez assigned to this case.

I, too, was trying to figure out the thinking behind swamp coolers. Coming from an area where summers are very hot and humid, I don't see how they can possibly do much to relieve the heat. Around here, 95 degrees and 90% humidity is really oppressive. Thus the saying, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity."

Water molecules HOLD heat. In the winter, I often leave a pot of water on the stove to keep the house warmer.

I guess I just don't fully understand arid conditions...

They aren't all that great. They help some, as long as it isn't too hot or humid, that's about all. Some homeowners are pretty diligent about maintaining theirs, that can make a big difference in how well they work and their overall efficiency.

In general, though, often they are old, pretty drippy, and they have a reputation for easily building up mold. Sometimes the fans work well, sometimes they don't. Oh, and did I remember to mention they have a tendency to rust? :)
JMO, but I kind of doubt they have the time or budget at P'ville to be running around making sure they are in tip top condition with regular maintenance.

You are the second person today that described this monster perfectly. Kim Anne Whittemore, wrote an e-book about her and she describes her as average looking woman who knew how to use blond hair dye, breast implants, cosmetics and sexual acrobatics for maximum effect. Unlike the mass media portraying her as a beautiful photographer and bomb shell beauty, she was just a 32 year old average looking part time waitress from Yreka, CA that liked to take pictures of herself and edit them.

I looked up the e-book on Amazon and read some of it. I don't like the way the author spoke about the art teacher.

http://www.amazon.com/Behind-The-Words-Satirical-Impossible-ebook/dp/B00VSOHZDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member