Early Parole and Missed Opportunities-What happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What happened to the other girl when PG left with the victim and took her to the motel? Did PG leave her drugged with the other guy he was with and did HE rape her and if so, maybe there's a police report on him? LE should check all reported rapes in that time frame.

I wonder if the Garrido family knew the previous owners of the Walnut Ave. house before Patricia bought it?

Which car did PG own then, the Olds? This area was a small community and the cops knew all the "young people" here. How did they give chase and not catch him? Then days later the victims parents find her in a motel? Something isn't right with this. I know LE "lost" the reports, but shouldn't there be some record of the preliminary hearing or something other than just the police report? Garrido was arrested and booked in Martinez County Jail.

Also, shouldn't there be a record of the initial police car chase? Why were they chasing them? There has to be something somewhere on that.

And I wonder how the girl's parents found her at the motel. How did they know to look there? Why did it take a couple of days? There are so many unanswered questions with this story.

Also, shouldn't there be a record of the initial police car chase? Why were they chasing them? There has to be something somewhere on that.

And I wonder how the girl's parents found her at the motel. How did they know to look there? Why did it take a couple of days? There are so many unanswered questions with this story.

That's also a good question. She was there for several days, what about the motel's housekeepers? Her parents called the police when they found PG with her. Why would PG not leave before the police came? The victim's friend was also underage, was she interviewed and where are those records? She should have known at least the first name of the other guy.

That's also a good question. She was there for several days, what about the motel's housekeepers? Her parents called the police when they found PG with her. Why would PG not leave before the police came? The victim's friend was also underage, was she interviewed and where are those records? She should have known at least the first name of the other guy.

I forgot that they only called the police AFTER they found PG with her. Why did he stay? Maybe he just knew his DNA was all over the place and the game was up?

I was wondering if maybe the police led the family there, but now that you've reminded me about them only being called afterwards, how on earth did the parents figure out she was there? And why did they wait until 3 days had passed to call LE about their missing daughter? Or if they did, then LE should have a missing persons report on this girl. Where is it?

I forgot that they only called the police AFTER they found PG with her. Why did he stay? Maybe he just knew his DNA was all over the place and the game was up?

I was wondering if maybe the police led the family there, but now that you've reminded me about them only being called afterwards, how on earth did the parents figure out she was there? And why did they wait until 3 days had passed to call LE about their missing daughter? Or if they did, then LE should have a missing persons report on this girl. Where is it?

There was no DNA evidence used in 1972.

Yep, there's definitely more to this than LE would have us think!

Ditto on everyone's concerns about the 1972 rape case. All of these questions bother me and the fact is that this was not just a simple rape, this girl was held captive or basically kidnapped, drugged, and raped for days. I'm sure the woman who was raped knows what house they were at prior to the motel.

I agree we do not have the complete story. If the shed was near his house (we don't know where he even lived then, right?), then whose property was the shed on and why would a 21 year old and his buddy take two girls to someone's shed?

Is this just one more indication that Garrido often acted with someone else and not alone? Maybe, we don't know. At any rate, it sounds like the other guy was guilty of possibly giving the girls drugs and I don't understand why some of the article exclude any reference to this guy.

I wish the woman who was raped would at least come forward anonymously with the whole story - but I gather if we knew where they were initially partying (shed, house, whatever), that would give up someone's identity?

Yeah, and the car chase - why didn't they arrest him for that?

Maybe Garrido was too high on something to think he was caught - it seems like he thinks/thought he was infallible.

As to the rest of your questions ... yeah, it makes you go hmmmm.

Ditto on everyone's concerns about the 1972 rape case. All of these questions bother me and the fact is that this was not just a simple rape, this girl was held captive or basically kidnapped, drugged, and raped for days. I'm sure the woman who was raped knows what house they were at prior to the motel.

I agree we do not have the complete story. If the shed was near his house (we don't know where he even lived then, right?), then whose property was the shed on and why would a 21 year old and his buddy take two girls to someone's shed?

Is this just one more indication that Garrido often acted with someone else and not alone? Maybe, we don't know. At any rate, it sounds like the other guy was guilty of possibly giving the girls drugs and I don't understand why some of the article exclude any reference to this guy.

I wish the woman who was raped would at least come forward anonymously with the whole story - but I gather if we knew where they were initially partying (shed, house, whatever), that would give up someone's identity?

Yeah, and the car chase - why didn't they arrest him for that?

BBM

I think she did, but LE hasn't released it. At least that was the impression I got.

And you're correct about there being no DNA evidence in 1972. D'oh, what was I thinking?

I really feel for this woman. Pure speculation here, but I wonder if the reason she didn't testify was because LE made her feel bad about what had happened? You know, she was a "bad girl" with a "ruined reputation" and that sort of thing. Maybe even going so far as to imply that she as "asking for it" because of the joy ride and the partying, and saying that going to trial would be a waste of time and he wouldn't get convicted anyway. That's the vibe that I get. If that is the case it is completely ridiculous. Even if she used poor judgment, no woman ever asks for it, and a 14 year old can easily be manipulated by a grown man, particularly a skilled sexual predator and con man like Garrido.

Yeah, I know she came forward and told LE her story, but not directly to the public. They must have a more complete version than we do and maybe they promised to keep certain things private to protect her, but I can't understand the comment about at what house this took place in - like they don't know? I also wonder if she did or didn't give up the names of the other two people. The detective doesn't even tell us what motel it happened at.

I think you are right, 1972 was a different world and she may have felt ashamed even more than now either by LE or her parents. I also wondered if this happened on a weekend. Some parents do leave their kids alone and even go out of town once they are semi-independent (I wouldn't do it, but I wonder if they weren't around to look for her or something of that nature). i also wonder if alternately, they contacted her friends and the friends said she left with some guy after they were partying - would they have assumed she just was just out being a bad girl and then realized she wasn't coming back? Makes you wonder how long Garrido would have kept her there if they hadn't found her.

I hadn't seen this...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: He said something about Bible study with your granddaughter. We`ve only got a couple of seconds.

GOMES: OK, he had asked my granddaughter if she wanted to go to Bible study on Wednesday. She is also a blue-eyed blond, and she had both her parents there at the time. And she was very freaked out and didn`t -- this was right after he broke out in song and started singing to her. And he stopped in the middle of the song and said, "Would you like to come to Bible study at my house on Wednesday?"

And she said no and got out of there.

And what struck me is she had both her parents there

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0909/03/ijvm.01.html

Where was he going to or having Bible Study - his house? I still wonder if those two girls were children of someone who did get wrapped into his religious stuff.

Yeah, I know she came forward and told LE her story, but not directly to the public. They must have a more complete version than we do and maybe they promised to keep certain thing private to protect her, but I can't understand the comment about at what house this took place in - like they don't know? I also wonder if she did or didn't give up the names of the other two people. The detective doesn't even tell us what motel it happened at.

I think you are right, 1972 was a different world and she may have felt ashamed even more than now either by LE or her parents. I also wondered if this happened on a weekend. Some parents do leave their kids alone and even go out of town once they are semi-independent (I wouldn't do it, but I wonder if they weren't around to look for her or something of that nature). i also wonder if alternately, they contacted her friends and the friends said she left with some guy after they were partying - would they have assumed she just was just out being a bad girl and then realized she wasn't coming back? Makes you wonder how long Garrido would have kept her there if they hadn't found her.

BBM. Would it be possible that they're keeping some of it confidential incase other involved parties come forward, so that they can verify their stories?

And you are so right about the 1970s being a different world. It's another reason I'm so glad that KCH feels comfortable talking about her story. Hopefully other survivors will come forward as well.

When the police were called to the Riverview Motel wouldn't they have noticed that PG's car was involved in a police pursuit just days prior to his arrest?

He was supposedly living in Lake Tahoe/Reno area in 1972, so they must have gone to his friend's house.

BTW...Elm St. is on the same (old) highway as everything else on the timeline!

BBM. Would it be possible that they're keeping some of it confidential incase other involved parties come forward, so that they can verify their stories?

And you are so right about the 1970s being a different world. It's another reason I'm so glad that KCH feels comfortable talking about her story. Hopefully other survivors will come forward as well.

Yes, maybe so.

I hope others come forward - and am very glad KCH is empowered to tell her own story. We learn a lot from that, not only about how criminals (criminal minds) operate, but about the journey of the victim and back out of being a victim.

When the police were called to the Riverview Motel wouldn't they have noticed that PG's car was involved in a police pursuit just days prior to his arrest?

He was supposedly living in Lake Tahoe/Reno area in 1972, so they must have gone to his friend's house.

I really wonder how long he actually was in Reno/Lake Tahoe though. As far as we know he just went till the heat cooled down. Or was not living in any more permanent quarters there. He must have went there anyway because there was someone already there who gave him a place to stay? I guess, I wonder if he didn't come back since Patricia and Manuel would not have been living together - his brother was probably already gone on his own also. Tahoe is not that far so he could have been living both places, going back and forth often?

Where was Patricia living between 1971 and until she moved into the Walnut St house?

But, also, you could very well be correct and they went to the friends home - I wonder if the LE guy telling the story said what he did because it WAS a house back then not too far from where the Walnut St house is.

dna was non existant in 72.
they went on blood types and fingertips and such. that was the extent of 1970's forensics.

an intresting thing i reailzed reading an interview with carl yesterday was that they moved to south lake tahoe cause there'd only been one kidnapping there in 20 years.
the irony is it was garrido kidnapping katie.
and now he is also on a rampage in his current stomping grounds in 72 too.
why did no one ever put the pieces together?

Especially after a complaint from Berkeley LE!!! This doesn't make any sense. Thank heavens he thought he was smarter than LE or this would have given him time to kill his victims!!!!

This is what incited me so much about the situation from the beginning. Even after being told he was in Berkley with his children, who the PO knew he didn't have, the only action was to tell pg to "come in for a visit".

Pg basically had 24 hours to do whatever he wanted. This could have included destroying evidence, "farming out" Jaycee and the girls, killing them as well as nancy and patricia. To me this is further proof that parole requirements or regard for the law was not anything that even remotely concerned pg. I'm not surprised with the number of blunders LE made.

When you think about the two younger girls, pg had plenty of opportunity to hide them or make sure that whoever has them, has them well hidden. A lot can happen in 24 hours.

I don't think that Sacbee thing is accurate regarding the parole agent going to his house on that Tuesday. I have been trying to find another source to back up what I believe is true, but so far, no luck. In any case, I am 99% sure that it is wrong on that point.

I totally agree. This is the only source that has published this. The LE agencies and the PO have repeatedly defended their actions and I feel confident in saying that if this were true, they would have talked about it, extensively even! Their reputation is quite tarnished and I truly believe they would have used this as a partial vindication of critics.

This is what incited me so much about the situation from the beginning. Even after being told he was in Berkley with his children, who the PO knew he didn't have, the only action was to tell pg to "come in for a visit".

Pg basically had 24 hours to do whatever he wanted. This could have included destroying evidence, "farming out" Jaycee and the girls, killing them as well as nancy and patricia. To me this is further proof that parole requirements or regard for the law was not anything that even remotely concerned pg. I'm not surprised with the number of blunders LE made.

When you think about the two younger girls, pg had plenty of opportunity to hide them or make sure that whoever has them, has them well hidden. A lot can happen in 24 hours.

Yeah, that didn't make much sense, but then reading that his PO visited his house and saw nothing "amiss" made it worse, if that's possible. The SacBee is a reputable paper and that article/timeline was edited some 3 weeks later. It seems that if the information was incorrect they would have either made a retraction or changed the online article. They've done it with other information so why not with this?

It's possible the SO didn't bring it up because there was already so much public outrage over the mishandling of the case by the different agencies they didn't want to add more fuel to the fire. It was also obvious that the general public didn't really know the difference between Antioch PD, the Sheriff's Office, the Parole Office (Federal and States), Berkeley PD, or the University PD.

What happened to the other girl when PG left with the victim and took her to the motel? Did PG leave her drugged with the other guy he was with and did HE rape her and if so, maybe there's a police report on him? LE should check all reported rapes in that time frame.

I wonder if the Garrido family knew the previous owners of the Walnut Ave. house before Patricia bought it?

Which car did PG own then, the Olds? This area was a small community and the cops knew all the "young people" here. How did they give chase and not catch him? Then days later the victims parents find her in a motel? Something isn't right with this. I know LE "lost" the reports, but shouldn't there be some record of the preliminary hearing or something other than just the police report? Garrido was arrested and booked in Martinez County Jail.

This site has a video of the police statement concerning the 1972 rape victim. A good listen for sure:

http://behindblondiepark.com/2009/09/04/phillip-garrido-1972-rape-charge-press-release-video/

The woman said she could not remember the name of the other man involved. I am wondering if perhaps the other girl had consensual sex with pg's accomplice? I read an article, somewhere in one of these threads that the girl refused to testify to protect other people involved.

There was no explaination of how her parents found her, but he thought it was the next day. Very interesting to say the least.

I will never think of storage sheds and tents the same!

1972 rape took place on E. 18th Street at what now is the Riverview Motel (near 160 -3120 E 18th St?). (according to interview on video)

Interesting ... he says somehow the girl she was with was the one who knew that meeting with the boys was going to take place.

arrested on April 17, 1992

Victim says she can't remember the other guys name.

Sunnie, I'd have to listen to the video again, but about the parents I think he just says 'at some point' they located her.

Strange current reviews

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...ocal_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CA8QnwIwAA

This motel is not in a good area and the traffic you see coming in and out confirms it. It seems like a lot of "deals" go on here. It doe not look to bad from the outside, but

A review of Antioch Sex Offenders indicates at least ten Registered Sex Offenders live at 3120 E 18th Street, Antioch CA.

I'm starting to think Garrido is a creature habit and just performed a whole lot of crimes in the same area. The 1998 attempted kidnap was also on 18th street - that is only 1 1/2 miles from Walnut St. Not that Garrido was living at Walnut St in 1972, but the Motel would be about 3 miles from there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placebo
Back