Early Parole and Missed Opportunities-What happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-04-dugard-kidnap-report_N.htm

Wednesday, the Office of the Inspector General will release a report citing what mistakes may have been made by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation in their handling of Garrido's parole.
"I have no sense of embarrassment from my department," said Scott Kernan of the CDCR, a few days after Garrido was arrested. "I think (the department) acted appropriately, and I'm very proud of the officer, and how our agency responded this case."

judging by those early comments i doubt will even see a written reprimand.

judging by those early comments i doubt will even see a written reprimand.
Inspector General Shaw's dept will supply a completely independent review of the situation. It is their job to be impartial and expose problems. The quote was not from the inspector but rather from the department that Shaw is investigating.

this quote is not from the Inspector general it is from the CDCR which is being investigated:
"I have no sense of embarrassment from my department," said Scott Kernan of the CDCR,

Inspector General Shaw's dept will supply a completely independent review of the situation. It is their job to be impartial and expose problems. The quote was not from the inspector but rather from the department that Shaw is investigating.

this quote is not from the Inspector general:
"I have no sense of embarrassment from my department," said Scott Kernan of the CDCR,

but if an indepedent investigation finds wrongdoing or complete incompetence, it totally leaves the county open to lawsuits.
that's why i think we'll see a whitewash.

but if an indepedent investigation finds wrongdoing or complete incompetence, it totally leaves the county open to lawsuits.
that's why i think we'll see a whitewash.
It doesn't matter to Shaw who is open to lawsuits.

i hope your right.
i know i appear to be hypocritical, since i'm so postive about jaycee and so negative about LE.
but my experience fighting LE tells me they all cover for each other.

Does anyone know if investigations are underway looking into the time he was under the U.S. Dept of Justice's parole supervision and/or Nevada's? I really thought this report was going to be all inclusive, but I guess it'll just be from 1999 on.

Does anyone know if investigations are underway looking into the time he was under the U.S. Dept of Justice's parole supervision and/or Nevada's? I really thought this report was going to be all inclusive, but I guess it'll just be from 1999 on.

not that i know of.
nor any word of any investigation (internal or otherwise) on the FBI's messing up jaycee's kidnap investigation from day one.

i hope your right.
i know i appear to be hypocritical, since i'm so postive about jaycee and so negative about LE.
but my experience fighting LE tells me they all cover for each other.
I too believe that much will be hidden.
I do not believe that he will get his hands on all the pertinant information.
So while he is ready to give us the truth...I doubt he himself will have it ALL.

RIGHT ! ! !

And I do not believe he will get it ALL right, because much IMHO in this case has been circumvented or hidden.

i see lots of chastising, a bunch of recommendations to change the system.
i dont see anything in this report that recommends actions against these morons (how about there being fired at least) or even names them.
at least put there names out there and shame every single one of them

i see lots of chastising, a bunch of recommendations to change the system.
i dont see anything in this report that recommends actions against these people(how about there being fired at least) or even names them.
at least put there names out there and shame every single one of them
The statutes do not allow the Inspector general to reveal names. They do not have the authority. HOWEVER the CDCR has the ability to do so and it remains to be seen if they will.

From the report:
"Failing to investigate the presence of a 12year old female during a home visit."

Ugh. SERIOUSLY?! And it was supposedly total news to the PO that Garrido had kids (When UCPD called them)?

From the report:
"Failing to investigate the presence of a 12year old female during a home visit."

Ugh. SERIOUSLY?! And it was supposedly total news to the PO that Garrido had kids (When UCPD called them)?

this is where you have to say incompetence has turned to corruption

The statutes do not allow the Inspector general to reveal names. They do not have the authority. HOWEVER the CDCR has the ability to do so and it remains to be seen if they will.

unless action is taken against them, i would say no.

The bullet point summary is nice and concise:

Findings in Brief
The Office of the Inspector General finds that during the 10-year period the department supervised parolee Garrido, the department:
•
Failed to adequately classify and supervise Garrido.
•
Failed to obtain key information from federal parole authorities.
•
Failed to properly supervise parole agents responsible for Garrido.
•
Failed to use GPS information.
•
Provides the public a false sense of security with a passive GPS monitoring program that falls short of its potential, raising OIG’s concerns about the department’s current and future uses of GPS monitoring.
•
Ignored other opportunities to determine that Garrido was violating the terms of his parole.
•
Failed to refer Garrido for mental health assessment.
•
Failed to train parole agents to conduct parolee home visits.
•
Missed opportunities to discover the existence of Garrido’s three victims, including:
o
Failing to investigate clearly visible utility wires running from Garrido’s house towards the concealed compound.
o
Failing to investigate the presence of a 12-year old female during a home visit.
o
Failing to talk to neighbors or local public safety agencies.
o
Failing to act on information clearly showing Garrido had violated his parole terms.

The bullet point summary is nice and concise:

Findings in Brief
The Office of the Inspector General finds that during the 10-year period the department supervised parolee Garrido, the department:
•
Failed to adequately classify and supervise Garrido.
•
Failed to obtain key information from federal parole authorities.
•
Failed to properly supervise parole agents responsible for Garrido.
•
Failed to use GPS information.
•
Provides the public a false sense of security with a passive GPS monitoring program that falls short of its potential, raising OIG’s concerns about the department’s current and future uses of GPS monitoring.
•
Ignored other opportunities to determine that Garrido was violating the terms of his parole.
•
Failed to refer Garrido for mental health assessment.
•
Failed to train parole agents to conduct parolee home visits.
•
Missed opportunities to discover the existence of Garrido’s three victims, including:
o
Failing to investigate clearly visible utility wires running from Garrido’s house towards the concealed compound.
o
Failing to investigate the presence of a 12-year old female during a home visit.
o
Failing to talk to neighbors or local public safety agencies.
o
Failing to act on information clearly showing Garrido had violated his parole terms.
I was just about to post an article with this info! Thanks for beating me to it!

Shortly after Garrido was arrested in connection with Dugard's rape and kidnapping, a CDCR official hailed the parole agents who had been assigned to Garrido's case, saying that Garrido had complied with his parole conditions and never received a violation.
But the report indicated that while Garrido had never been issued a formal violation from the state of California, he actually committed several violations in the last several years. The report did not list those specific violations.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/phillip-ga...chances-rescue-jaycee/Story?id=8996499&page=2

Shaw, a prison monitor who was appointed by Schwarzenegger, faults state corrections officials for numerous failings since then.

He says parole agents didn't revoke Garrido's parole and send him to prison when the tracking device used to monitor him showed that he had gone beyond a permitted radius from his home; didn't classify him as a high-risk sex offender who would have received more intensive supervision; didn't explore utility wires or other clues to the hidden backyard compound where Dugard and her daughters were allegedly kept; and didn't talk to neighbors who might have revealed their presence.

On one occasion last year, a parole agent encountered a young girl at the house but failed to investigate further, Shaw said.

Local police agencies also have been criticized for missing chances to find Dugard and her daughters earlier. But Shaw criticized state prison officials for taking credit when Garrido was eventually captured.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-jaycee-dugard5-2009nov05,0,1237255.story

Shortly after Garrido was arrested in connection with Dugard's rape and kidnapping, a CDCR official hailed the parole agents who had been assigned to Garrido's case, saying that Garrido had complied with his parole conditions and never received a violation.
But the report indicated that while Garrido had never been issued a formal violation from the state of California, he actually committed several violations in the last several years. The report did not list those specific violations.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/phillip-ga...chances-rescue-jaycee/Story?id=8996499&page=2

which begs the question.......what was garrido giving them in exchange for not getting violated? money? drugs? something worse?

Alot of what Inspector General Shaw uncovered is things we've been saying here- like look in the backyard, talk to the neighbors!:doh::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Also, he noted how the PO's tried to take credit for discovering Jaycee, rather than UCB PD!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver
Back