Early Parole and Missed Opportunities-What happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This journalist should be ashamed for saying this about a victim, let alone starting an article this way! It infuriates me how the media in this area is reporting this crime!!! I'm tempted to send him and the newspaper an email!

Questioning of Dugard, Garrido detailed
By John Simerman
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 11/05/2009 03:54:36 PM PST
Updated: 11/06/2009 06:40:39 AM PST

Jaycee Dugard hid her identity, lied, refused to answer questions and asked for a lawyer as a parole agent probed her relationship with Phillip Garrido during the Aug. 26 meeting in Concord that prompted the arrests of Garrido and his wife.

This journalist should be ashamed for saying this about a victim, let alone starting an article this way! It infuriates me how the media in this area is reporting this crime!!! I'm tempted to send him and the newspaper an email!

By John Simerman
Contra Costa Times

Jaycee Dugard hid her identity, lied, refused to answer questions and asked for a lawyer as a parole agent probed her relationship with Phillip Garrido during the Aug. 26 meeting in Concord that prompted the arrests of Garrido and his wife.

What exactly do you find wrong with the quote you provided?
She did hide her identity, she asked for a lawyer, and she claimed to be an abused woman from Minnesota (which clearly she wasn't), according to the parole report.
So there is nothing in that quote that is false.

By John Simerman
Contra Costa Times

But that is exactly what happened. I can't get the link to work, so I'll go read the rest of the article.
okay I got it to work, but I still think that is a fair assessment of what transpired.

She did hide her identity, she asked for a lawyer, and she claimed to be an abused woman from Minnesota (which clearly she wasn't), according to the parole report.

Some people just have a harsh way of wording things and it comes across insulting.

Yes, she did all of those things. But, I agree with m2s, the article is ill-worded and I cringed when I saw those words earlier. It's accusatory. The writer of this article could have used less inflammatory words, like "hesitant to reveal the truth" instead of "lied" or "declined to answer further questions" instead of "refused". The way it's worded comes across as insensitive and rude. The last thing JC needs to read about herself.

It's our local newspaper not the National Enquirer. Our area has shown little compassion for Jaycee and to me, living in Antioch, it seems like one more kick in the gut.

Yes, she did all of those things. But, I agree with m2s, the article is ill-worded and I cringed when I saw those words earlier. It's accusatory. The writer of this article could have used less inflammatory words, like "hesitant to reveal the truth" instead of "lied" or "declined to answer further questions" instead of "refused". The way it's worded comes across as insensitive and rude. The last thing JC needs to read about herself.

She isn't an abused woman from Minnesota, is she? Yes, one can beat around the bush, or one can just call it what it is. I noticed some posters here can't handle it. Why, my posts have been criticized for a mere suggestion she might try to protect Garrido if police questions her, but I am not sure how much police should trust as to what she tells them regarding various things that happened to her during those 18 years. Whatever you call it Stockholm syndrome, bonding, or brainwashing, seems clear to me it was going on with her.

The press has not been sympathetic at all with this bit of information.
Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Nancy present during the questioning?
I'm sure Jaycee had been well coached and groomed over many years and resigned to her life with these people. I can't imagine her fessing up in her presence...

It is not fair in my opinion to judge her for this because as I recall and you can correct me again if I'm not accurate but Elizabeth Smart denied who she was initially and that was only after 8 or 9 months.

How difficult was it to break an 11year old child?? Not hard , I think I would be more concerned had she not reacted in this manner. How did she know they were not going to send them all home together?

He probably bragged about how he was fooling everyone saying it was God's will or something along that line.

I have no doubt she will eventually feel the anger and despair and all the losses she has tucked away in her psyche and I'm sure she probably feels terrible about this now too.

She was apologizing to her family about bonding with these people it's all so sad and tragic.

Very well stated and heartfelt post awise1!! Welcome to Websleuths!!

I think press has been nicer to JC than to some of the other victims. Why I have not yet heard anyone in the press saying she must have liked it there. Doesn't ayone remember what O'Reily said about Sean Hornbeck? I saw that show, where O'Reily said Sean could have liked it there because he didn't have to do his homework (or something along these lines).

I think he probably could have worded it differently, but "hesitant to reveal the truth" is not really accurate as she did lie with details about who she was, so I believe what you are suggesting would not be accurate. They could have said that "when she was asked xyz, she told a story that was untrue."

The press has not been sympathetic at all with this bit of information.
Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Nancy present during the questioning?
I'm sure Jaycee had been well coached and groomed over many years and resigned to her life with these people. I can't imagine her fessing up in her presence...

It is not fair in my opinion to judge her for this because as I recall and you can correct me again if I'm not accurate but Elizabeth Smart denied who she was initially and that was only after 8 or 9 months.

How difficult was it to break an 11year old child?? Not hard , I think I would be more concerned had she not reacted in this manner. How did she know they were not going to send them all home together?

He probably bragged about how he was fooling everyone saying it was God's will or something along that line.

I have no doubt she will eventually feel the anger and despair and all the losses she has tucked away in her psyche and I'm sure she probably feels terrible about this now too.

She was apologizing to her family about bonding with these people it's all so sad and tragic.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was thinking about this exact same thing earlier, as I was reading all the Google News headlines.

To me, the article is just a report about a report. The report itself says, for instance, "As they waited for the officer to arrive, Alyssa said she was sorry that she had lied. She explained that she was from Minnesota and ..." LOL, in other words she went on to lie some more!

So, would it be better if the article had said Jaycee felt very badly about telling the officer a little tiny white lie?

If it was an editorial then it would be an entirely different thing. If I were unable to see the report for myself, then this is very much the kind of reporting on it I would hope to read.

I honestly haven't seen any reputable papers judging Jaycee? Can someone provide some quotes and links?

To me, the article is just a report about a report. The report itself says, for instance, "As they waited for the officer to arrive, Alyssa said she was sorry that she had lied. She explained that she was from Minnesota and ..." LOL, in other words she went on to lie some more!

So, would it be better if the article had said Jaycee felt very badly about telling the officer a little tiny white lie?

If it was an editorial then it would be an entirely different thing. If I were unable to see the report for myself, then this is very much the kind of reporting on it I would hope to read.
I totally agree with you. I don't think this is judgemental or unsympathetic it is just reporting on the report.
I think the fact that she felt compelled to lie and ask for a lawyer is further indication of the powerful hold this man had on her.

I don't think I said what I meant very well in my post. What bothered me wasn't the content of the article, but the way it was written. To me, it came across like it was a sensationalized article when actually it was all correct. It had the feeling of a National Enquirer article rather than a hometown, Jaycee-living, community paper. I think the journalist could have been a bit more compassionate than starting out the way he did in the first paragraph.

I honestly haven't seen any reputable papers judging Jaycee? Can someone provide some quotes and links?

And who are WE, ANY OF US, to judge? (End of this side of the story. IMO) If you have never been there, you cannot judge!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colinnew
Back