Early Parole and Missed Opportunities-What happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There have been a few comments about the GPS monitoring, so I thought I'd throw some information into the pot, since I've worked with and even designed GPS equipment since its inception... The 36 foot variance from GPS systems is due to Selective Availability - an intentional flaw in the signal from GPS satellites that 'guarantees' that no commercial GPS receiver can ever be accurate to more than ~10 meters. This would keep rogue states and terrorists from using the devices to gain cheap, accurate, targeting from commercial systems.

MIL-SPEC receivers use a different channel that allows them to get much better information - with Kalman filtering the receiver can be accurate within centimeters.

HOWEVER - Selective Availability has been disabled since the Clinton era. Partially this was a 'convenience' with the reservation that SA could be turned on if the government deemed it in the nation's best interest. In the Gulf Wars SA was also turned off to allow military operations to be more accurate, especially when troops started getting commercial GPS receivers from their relatives to use. Since then they've determined that jammers are better at messing up GPS-aided guidance than turning on SA, so it's likely to remain off 'permanently'.

Anyone that has a recent GPS with mapping information can see for themselves that, without SA, they can track their position along the road to within several feet - enough to know which side of a two-lane divided highway they're driving down.

Given this, I would suggest that the plots they have of PG's position are about as accurate, and that if LE decided GPS data was worthless because of the supposed 36 foot variance, then they were grossly misinformed.

EDIT: Here's an article discussing the turning off of SA on May 2st, 2000:

http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa050400a.htm

The figures they indicate, of the 'more accurate' readings being within 10-20 meters, is without Kalman filtering, differential GPS techniques, etc, which most commercial GPS receivers did not implement. Now, accuracy can usually be had within several feet if the information is relayed through cell phone connection (the cell tower providing the differential offset).

Caveat: what is possible, and what LE paid for in their GPS monitoring systems, are two very different things.

Regarding the GPS:

This CDCR Press Release from November 20, 2008

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/News/2008_Press_Releases/Nov_20.html

California leads the nation in tracking sex offenders with Global Positioning Technology. California has more than 5,000 sex offenders equipped with GPS, including every sex offender deemed as "high-risk." California's total GPS units nearly triples Florida's total of 1,800 units.

SACRAMENTO – A new video from The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) shows how GPS technology is helping parole agents across the state. Every high risk sex offender and Jessica’s Law parolee under jurisdiction of CDCR is currently on global position satellite (GPS) monitoring.

CDCR has become the nation’s leader when it comes to tracking sex offenders using GPS. Over 6,000 sex offenders are being monitored electronically and about 150 gang members are on GPS. The department has set a goal of having all sex offenders on parole supervision monitored via GPS devices, not just those required under Jessica’s Law, and is rapidly approaching the time when all active sex offender parolees in the community will be strapped with GPS.

“We aren’t just monitoring these individuals by GPS, we have put them on reduced caseloads so that our parole agents can focus on keeping track of this population,” said Division of Adult Parole Office Director Tom Hoffman. “Our parole agents are out there every day working hard to monitor these individuals. Our goal is to prevent them from re-offending.”

In 2006, California voters passed Proposition 83, also known as Jessica’s Law, which requires that every paroled sex offender be monitored by GPS. CDCR is scheduled to have the entire sex offender parolee population on GPS by June 2009.

This new video shows how the technology works and how agents use this tool to monitor the whereabouts and activity of parolees.

So, um go to the link to view the video. I have not watched it yet.

And, another thing that might need to be taken into consideration regarding the illustration of Garrido's 'tracks' on April 15, 2008, it is an illustration only and is actually using a 2009 Google map for its base. So, the accuracy of the illustration itself, could be off some.

:waitasec: CCC is in California..".Leads the Nation in tracking?"
BOY we are in deep dodooo :waitasec:

I agree with others on the thread that Dugard was primarily concerned with safety. Keeping her daughters and herself safe was her only goal. As we have already realized, law enforcement was a total disgrace so she had to be doubly worried about Garrido's reaction. It's the reason why so many wives and girlfriends are terrified of leaving a batterer: they know hardly anyone will protect them if they try and run.

Once she realized she was safe, she bolted. That's incredible, especially considering the length of her ordeal and that she was kidnapped at only 11 years old. And now she's preparing herself to testify against the bastards in case there is a trial.

Question: Does anyone know why they initially allowed Nancy to be in the same room as Dugard during questioning? Why didn't they immediately separate them?

Question: Does anyone know why they initially allowed Nancy to be in the same room as Dugard during questioning? Why didn't they immediately separate them?

Good question. I wish the report had been more clear about this detail.

Thanks smgtheophilus for your info on GPS. Question: Do you think it's more probable that the devise quit working for 9 hours while PG was inside his house or that he removed it for 9 hours every night?

What types of things keep the signal from penetrating? If he moved around inside the house wouldn't it have some areas it would ping?

The public's current education on GPS monitoring and it's capabilities when it's used correctly will benefit Gov. Schwarzenegger when it comes time to release the thousands of prisoners slated for release! This alone would make for a good conspiracy theory book!

What's needed is trained, volunteer, citizen oversight groups that track and monitor the GPS tracking devises and keep track of RSOs. Of course the slacker LEOs wouldn't want the public to know just how much they get by with. I think citizens want to help but are not part of the "elite" group. Since the state doesn't have enough money to protect us adequately, according to the statistics in this case, maybe we can just be paraelite? :)

<snipped

Obviously you're not the only one who hasn't watched it! Maybe the whole parole department should have had a movie night! :furious:

It's obvious by the report that the GPS was working, it was the parole officers who weren't. According to the report, they'd set up no limits on Garrido and they obviously didn't review the tracking info either. Actuallly, it said they did a few times, but NO ACTION WAS TAKEN, so what's the freakin' point of monitoring? The GPS system is still only as good as the parole officer. I'm sure Garrido wasn't their only assignment, who else haven't they monitored? Each and every one of them who ignored these reports and didn't do their jobs should be fired. If they really weren't trained to do the job correctly, then whomever their boss's are should be fired and up and up the ladder! And that the ladder should be rebuilt with responsible people. I'll bet there's plenty of good, conscientious, hard working people in CA who would like a job, ya think?

New Free Facebook Ap

About P.O.M. Offender Locator

Due to the increase in registered sex offenders living among us, we all need the tools and foresight necessary to make informed decisions about keeping our children safe.

Vision 20/20's goal is to help you make the best decisions possible about our kids&#8217; safety and to keep them from becoming another statistic. They are counting on us to protect them!

The P.O.M. Offender Locator makes it easy to access information that is available to the public from state offender registries. We recognize that many offenders listed on state registries are not violent and some may not belong on the registry in the first place.

But, most of those on the registries are sexual predators, and statistics show that sex offenders repeat their offenses at a higher rate than other criminals.

:dance:
I agree with others on the thread that Dugard was primarily concerned with safety. Keeping her daughters and herself safe was her only goal. As we have already realized, law enforcement was a total disgrace so she had to be doubly worried about Garrido's reaction. It's the reason why so many wives and girlfriends are terrified of leaving a batterer: they know hardly anyone will protect them if they try and run.

Once she realized she was safe, she bolted. That's incredible, especially considering the length of her ordeal and that she was kidnapped at only 11 years old. And now she's preparing herself to testify against the bastards in case there is a trial.

Good question. I wish the report had been more clear about this detail.

very good question.
if the po is suspicious that something nefarious is going on, he would have to assume that nancy was more then an innocent bystander!

From the Report, pg 41

November 30, 2006 Garrido&#8217;s neighbor reports to local law enforcement several tents in Garrido&#8217;s yard with people living in them and that there are children present. The neighbor is concerned because Garrido has sexual addiction. No action taken by responding officers.

December 4, 2006 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

April 5, 2007 Garrido registers with local law enforcement as a sex offender.

August 23, 2007 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

March 5, 2008 Garrido calls the fire department to report an elderly person fell.

March 6, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

March 14, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

March 28, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

April 8, 2008 Garrido registers with local law enforcement as a sex offender.

April 8, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

April 14, 2008 Parole agent places GPS tracking device on Garrido.

May 21, 2008 Garrido calls the fire department regarding the health of an elderly female.

June 24, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.
June 27, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

July 2, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

July 10, 2008 Sex offender task force executes search warrant at Garrido&#8217;s residence as part of a sweep of area registered sex offenders.

August 1, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

November 10, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

Does anyone know who "Local Law Enforcement" refers to here?

ContraCosta County, perhaps? I'm sure 2sisters would know for sure, being a local.

Why would there be so many queries on him?

From the Report, pg 41

November 30, 2006 Garrido&#8217;s neighbor reports to local law enforcement several tents in Garrido&#8217;s yard with people living in them and that there are children present. The neighbor is concerned because Garrido has sexual addiction. No action taken by responding officers.

December 4, 2006 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

April 5, 2007 Garrido registers with local law enforcement as a sex offender.

August 23, 2007 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

March 5, 2008 Garrido calls the fire department to report an elderly person fell.

March 6, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

March 14, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

March 28, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

April 8, 2008 Garrido registers with local law enforcement as a sex offender.

April 8, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

April 14, 2008 Parole agent places GPS tracking device on Garrido.

May 21, 2008 Garrido calls the fire department regarding the health of an elderly female.

June 24, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.
June 27, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

July 2, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

July 10, 2008 Sex offender task force executes search warrant at Garrido&#8217;s residence as part of a sweep of area registered sex offenders.

August 1, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

November 10, 2008 Local law enforcement queries Garrido in law enforcement database.

ContraCosta County, perhaps? I'm sure 2sisters would know for sure, being a local.

Why would there be so many queries on him?

Ya think so, huh? I'm glad someone thinks I know something. haha But I don't understand it either. Garrido lived in the unincorporated area of Antioch, but within a few blocks of the city limits. I don't know if "local law enforcement" means Antioch or Contra Costa County or both. Eleven times in less than 2 years seems like a lot. Especially since the SO said he didn't know PG was a sex offender!

The queries might have had to do with the Sex Offender Task Force raid that was being planned by multiple agencies. So, it might be that multiple agencies made the queries.
And, its entirely possible that some of the queries were by the parole officer himself.

Ya think so, huh? I'm glad someone thinks I know something. haha But I don't understand it either. Garrido lived in the unincorporated area of Antioch, but within a few blocks of the city limits. I don't know if "local law enforcement" means Antioch or Contra Costa County or both. Eleven times in less than 2 years seems like a lot. Especially since the SO said he didn't know PG was a sex offender!

Exactly - why was anyone checking on him so soon after the 911 all when the CCCSO claimed what he did? If it was the APD, then why would they be checking shortly after that 911 call? Someone seemed to have checked but did nothing even afterwards as far as I can tell.

Thanks smgtheophilus for your info on GPS. Question: Do you think it's more probable that the devise quit working for 9 hours while PG was inside his house or that he removed it for 9 hours every night?

What types of things keep the signal from penetrating? If he moved around inside the house wouldn't it have some areas it would ping?

There are two types of systems (as others have indicated above): passive, which sends data in automatically through periodic cell phone contacts, and active, which tracks the wearer through a local transmitter. The passive system just records plots, say, every 5 minutes, while the active system lets the parole officer monitor location real-time, if desired.

Here's a summary sheet of the available technologies - various companies and the services available are listed towards the end:
http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/offender-tracking.html

From what I've read in the report about the functioning of this particular unit (and, I don't have the actual specs, so all this is speculation), it's more likely that he didn't charge it and the battery ran out until he could get it on the charger again. If he only charged it for an hour each day, it could easily run out. If it had a charge but was disconnected, it would send an alert to the center (and that happened, too).

There are several things that could prevent a unit like this from functioning. 1) the GPS receiver might not receive the satellite signals because of lack of penetration, so triangulation wouldn't work. I would expect the unit to send a notice that a position fix couldn't be calculated. 2) The GPS received garbled or jammed signals. I would expect the unit to send another alert on this, different from the first. 3) The GPS functioned correctly, but the communication relay to the monitoring station didn't work. If it is based on cell phone technology, distance from the cell tower would be a factor.

Cell phone signals are more powerful than the satellite signals - in my office building a person has to go into an internal elevator to lose any signal. I doubt the cell phone's signal was lost in a single-story frame structure - unless he intentionally put in heavy metal sheeting or some other dampener.

The more likely scenario is that when he found out there were no consequences for batteries running down and disconnecting his unit, he regularly did that when it most convenienced him. No jammers or dampeners necessary.

What was that in the Timeline about visiting him a couple of days before the raid for preperation, was it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somnus
Back