Early Parole and Missed Opportunities-What happened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's interesting that Cheyvonne was so quick to report at the Pittsburg City Council Meeting 2 days before PGs arrest that they often hired ex-cons that couldn't work anywhere else. LOL No wonder she shut up so abruptly after the raid. That's probably one reason they got raided. Amazing that no one's PO saw a problem with a felon on parole owning a business that hired other felons on parole!!!

The bullet point summary is nice and concise:

Findings in Brief
The Office of the Inspector General finds that during the 10-year period the department supervised parolee Garrido, the department:
•
Failed to adequately classify and supervise Garrido.
•
Failed to obtain key information from federal parole authorities.
•
Failed to properly supervise parole agents responsible for Garrido.
•
Failed to use GPS information.
•
Provides the public a false sense of security with a passive GPS monitoring program that falls short of its potential, raising OIG’s concerns about the department’s current and future uses of GPS monitoring.
•
Ignored other opportunities to determine that Garrido was violating the terms of his parole.
•
Failed to refer Garrido for mental health assessment.
•
Failed to train parole agents to conduct parolee home visits.
•
Missed opportunities to discover the existence of Garrido’s three victims, including:
o
Failing to investigate clearly visible utility wires running from Garrido’s house towards the concealed compound.
o
Failing to investigate the presence of a 12-year old female during a home visit.
o
Failing to talk to neighbors or local public safety agencies.
o
Failing to act on information clearly showing Garrido had violated his parole terms.

Wow, I'm embarrassed that I'm answering my own questions. :blushing:

So now there isn't any excuse for JM not to finish out his term in prison. He was one of several who obviously violated parole and now it can't be ignored, can it?

A parolee can associate with other felons as long as it is pre-approved by their PO. Also, it isn't the PO's job to dedicate 24/7 to each parolee to make sure they aren't hanging out with other felons or breaking other laws. At most they have about 2 hours per week to dedicate to each parolee. They are there to enforce the guidelines set forth at the time of parole. If they had to keep constant track of the parolee, they would just leave them in prison and let the corrections officers do it. As long as they don't get caught breaking the law, the PO has no choice but to assume the parolee is doing what they are supposed to and abiding by the terms and conditions of their parole.

I am by no means excusing the CDCR for their failures, especially their failure to notice the actual size of PG's property. I will say, however, his most recent PO, Santos, has been his PO since late 2008 when PG was reclassified and it appears as though he did a better job supervising PG than anyone else ever did. Even if he had done his research and discovered JC and girls right away, it would have only been a few months earlier than August 2009.

Natal (or others), you appear to know some about the legal system and there's something that's been bothering me. Jim Molino was on parole for a felony as was PG. How were they able to openly hang out together since they were both felons? Isn't it a parole condition that felons can't have contact with other felons? How was Molino able to hire other felons at JM and none of the parole officers had a problem with it? Especially given the fact a prostitute was found impaled on his fence and it's general knowledge in this area that Jim is a crook.

I personally know that local LE knew that Jim had, allegedly, been involved in criminal activities at the wrecking yards for many years. I heard about him from a California Highway Patrolman back in the mid/late 80s. CHP and CCCSO were well aware of him back then but he seemed to escape most problems.

Has anyone been able to do a check on JM's criminal background?

This really bothers me too. As much as I like to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, I really wonder if JM & PG had the same parole officer(s). (Remember there were something like 10 over the years assigned to PG) That would be likely if in fact they are as overworked (ha!) and have so many parolees to monitor in an area. If that is the case, then any of the other employees at JM also could have had the same PO's. I have said all along that something ties PG to that wrecking yard. Holy cow, maybe it's as simple as the PO? From what I've seen on line JM & CM have $$$$$ (even though they may not pay their taxes), they most probably deal in "CASH". Does anyone else think that perhaps the PO's were being paid off?

This really bothers me too. As much as I like to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, I really wonder if JM & PG had the same parole officer(s). (Remember there were something like 10 over the years assigned to PG) That would be likely if in fact they are as overworked (ha!) and have so many parolees to monitor in an area. If that is the case, then any of the other employees at JM also could have had the same PO's. I have said all along that something ties PG to that wrecking yard. Holy cow, maybe it's as simple as the PO? From what I've seen on line JM & CM have $$$$$ (even though they may not pay their taxes), they most probably deal in "CASH". Does anyone else think that perhaps the PO's were being paid off?

there has to be a point where this high a level of incompetence can only be called corruption.

A parolee can associate with other felons as long as it is pre-approved by their PO. Also, it isn't the PO's job to dedicate 24/7 to each parolee to make sure they aren't hanging out with other felons or breaking other laws. At most they have about 2 hours per week to dedicate to each parolee. They are there to enforce the guidelines set forth at the time of parole. If they had to keep constant track of the parolee, they would just leave them in prison and let the corrections officers do it. As long as they don't get caught breaking the law, the PO has no choice but to assume the parolee is doing what they are supposed to and abiding by the terms and conditions of their parole.

I am by no means excusing the CDCR for their failures, especially their failure to notice the actual size of PG's property. I will say, however, his most recent PO, Santos, has been his PO since late 2008 when PG was reclassified and it appears as though he did a better job supervising PG than anyone else ever did. Even if he had done his research and discovered JC and girls right away, it would have only been a few months earlier than August 2009.

Tizzle, it's because new laws went into effect in 2008 and they had to comply with them. PG was reclassified because of these laws.

Well...somehow they went under the radar for many years with the City of Pittsburg. Ya' wonder how that happened??? Is everyone in government corrupt???

Right. And when PG was reclassified, Santos took over.

Okay, I missed something here. You say PG was reclassified? Do you mean when they decided he shouldn't be with minors and then reversed it a month later? Because as I recall, it was the PO's "supervisor" who changed it back. Yes? (I suppose I could go look it up :))

Okay, I missed something here. You say PG was reclassified? Do you mean when they decided he shouldn't be with minors and then reversed it a month later? Because as I recall, it was the PO's "supervisor" who changed it back. Yes? (I suppose I could go look it up :))

Or when they discovered he had been mis-classified?

I've been looking and can't find in print where it says they reclassified him from Minimum supervision/low-risk offender to High Control supervision/high-risk offender. I thought I read somewhere that he was reclassified to High Control level in early 08 and that is why he was fitted with GPS and subjected to so-called "home searches" by the sex offender task force. But after reading the report again, I think they didn't actually reclassify him as high-risk until Sept 09.

From Page 20:
Had the department identified Garrido as a high-risk offender and supervised him at the more intensive High Control level, it would have been able to focus more attention on his activities. The parole administrator who completed the case management review assessment reached a similar conclusion in his review, finding that the department should have supervised Garrido at its High Control level of supervision because of his previous sexual criminal behavior. Because at the time of this assessment Garrido was not monitored by a GPS monitoring device, the even more intensive Specialized Caseload level of supervision would not apply.

In June 2006, the department implemented a new assessment tool, “STATIC-99,” designed to estimate the probability of sexual and violent recidivism among adult males who have been convicted of at least one sexual offense against a child or non-consenting adult. The department issued instructions that the assessment must be used to evaluate all sex offenders being paroled from prison; however, remiss from that directive were sex offenders, like Garrido, who were currently on parole. Instead, the department later told staff that additional policies would be forthcoming.

The department revised its STATIC-99 policies in 2007 and again in 2008; however, neither of these revisions included instructions on applying the STATIC-99 assessment to sex offenders who were currently on parole. To date, the department has never developed those written policies.

In July 2009, one month before Garrido’s arrest, a parole supervisor completing a case review directed a parole agent to request a STATIC-99 assessment for Garrido. On September 17, 2009, three weeks after the arrest, the department performed the assessment, which finally correctly identified Garrido as a high-risk sex offender. This finding corroborates our conclusion that the department’s decision to place Garrido on minimum supervision was a grave error.
BBM

I thought for sure I read that he was reclassified to high-risk in early 08. Now it looks like he was mis-classified from the beginning and remained so until after JC was recovered. Anyway, the point of my earlier post is that Santos was his PO only since the end of last year.

I've been looking and can't find in print where it says they reclassified him from Minimum supervision/low-risk offender to High Control supervision/high-risk offender. I thought I read somewhere that he was reclassified to High Control level in early 08 and that is why he was fitted with GPS and subjected to so-called "home searches" by the sex offender task force. But after reading the report again, I think they didn't actually reclassify him as high-risk until Sept 09.

From Page 20:
BBM

I thought for sure I read that he was reclassified to high-risk in early 08. Now it looks like he was mis-classified from the beginning and remained so until after JC was recovered. Anyway, the point of my earlier post is that Santos was his PO only since the end of last year.

Shaws report, bottom of page 4, top of page 5:

At the parole office, Garrido’s parole agent reviewed Garrido’s parole file with a supervisor.
Taking into account Garrido’s cooperation, along with the information in Garrido’s file and
other information they obtained, the parole agent and supervisor determined that Garrido had
not violated any conditions of his parole. A new condition had been instituted in Garrido’s
parole the month before, in July 2009, prohibiting Garrido from being in the presence of
minors, but on August 25, the parole agent and supervisor decided that the condition didn’t
apply to Garrido because Garrido had no prior or current convictions involving minors.
Accordingly, the parole agents returned Garrido to his house with instructions to report to the
State of California • November 2009 Page 5
parole office the following day to further discuss his visit to UC Berkeley and to follow up on
the parole agent’s concerns related to the young girls.

It is so hard to find information when it is needed, can anyone think of a good way to keep these quotes easily accessible?

By Sam Stanton and Denny Walsh
sstanton@sacbee.com
Published: Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 1B
Following more than two months of refusals by state corrections officials to release records of how parole agents supervised Phillip Garrido, The Bee and two other media companies filed suit Friday to get the material under California's Public Records Act.
The suit, filed in Sacramento Superior Court by The Bee, Channel 3 (KCRA) and the San Francisco Chronicle, asks the court to order the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation and the California Inspector General's Office to release records of Garrido's supervision between 1999 and August.
<snip>
Corrections officials have repeatedly rejected efforts to review records of how their parole agents monitored Garrido while he was under their supervision from 1999 through August. The department has said the last agent responsible for Garrido operated "by the book" and solved the mystery of Dugard's disappearance by calling police after she walked into the parole office with Garrido in August.
<snip>
Shaw's report, however, did not name any of the agents, reveal specific dates of parole visits to Garrido or include the agents' accounts of those visits. The agents' observations of Garrido and his home have been a closely guarded secret.
Shaw's office rejected a Public Records Act request from The Bee Nov. 5 to obtain the documents he used in his probe, citing essentially the same reasons corrections officials have given for not releasing the records. more at link: http://www.sacbee.com/crime/story/2371959.html

Ex-parole agent expresses remorse over Dugard
Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Houston Antwine told Sacramento television station KCRA that he couldn't recall visiting the Antioch home where Garrido lived after he was paroled from federal prison in 1988 until his arrest in August or even having the convicted kidnapper as part of his caseload.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/02/state/n193954S46.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0eS62zHz6

More names are starting to surface, though I don't know how much responsibility this person had.

Ex-parole agent expresses remorse over Dugard
Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Houston Antwine told Sacramento television station KCRA that he couldn't recall visiting the Antioch home where Garrido lived after he was paroled from federal prison in 1988 until his arrest in August or even having the convicted kidnapper as part of his caseload.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/02/state/n193954S46.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0eS62zHz6

More names are starting to surface, though I don't know how much responsibility this person had.

cant recall. how convienent.
maybe its cause he was getting high with garrido?

Please provide a link to any legitimate, mainstream media news article that states Mr Antwine was 'getting high with Garrido'.

Please provide a link to any legitimate, mainstream media news article that states Mr Antwine was 'getting high with Garrido'.

i dont have any. i was just venting my frustration with these fools in parole.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was 15-23 years ago, and he has probably supervised hundreds if not thousands of parolees in his career. If Garrido's case was unremarkable, why would you expect him to remember at all?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was 15-23 years ago, and he has probably supervised hundreds if not thousands of parolees in his career. If Garrido's case was unremarkable, why would you expect him to remember at all?

that timeline isnt realistic. he wasnt even under california parole till 99.
i

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back