Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So did this second patient have any connection to Duncan? Was he on the plane or at the airport? I wish the news would give more details, just tweeting without more info is irresponsible and will just feed the panic. IMO

Not likely, article says he recently returned from Nigeria (I thought we heard Nigeria had this all under control???).

A patient who recently traveled to Nigeria is being treated at a Washington hospital with Ebola-like symptoms, according to NBC Washington.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/3/patient-ebola-symptoms-treated-howard-university-h/

Nigeria has had no new cases since the end of August. I am not sure if they have stopped incoming travel from affected nations, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not likely, article says he recently returned from Nigeria (I thought we heard Nigeria had this all under control???).

Thanks, I see that now that he was in Nigeria. It was not in the tweet. I had the same thought about Nigeria having it under control. Even more frightening to think of two possible cases that are totally unrelated in any way. Let's hope that the second case is just a matter of the hospital being overly cautious.

Keep in mind, when a hospital isn't disclosing information about a patient, it's almost certainly not because they want to hide anything. They're bound by HIPAA, which is designed to protect patient privacy and safety. (Before HIPAA, hospitals could--and often did--sell diagnostic and personal information to insurance and pharmaceutical companies for marketing purposes. So...HIPAA's a really really good thing, if you care at all about privacy.)

I saw an interview Matt Lauer had with the doc who had Ebola. They talk about how the hospital contained all of his waste during his stay and how they dealt with it. Of course, that hospital was one of the four that is set up to handle ebola pts.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...ent-brantly-reveals-near-death-ordeal-n194111

Thanks for the link! Watching it now.

So the doctor that got sick had his wife and 2 very small children living with him in Liberia, sounds like they could have gotten it too if they hadn't flown to the U.S. to attend a family wedding shortly before his symptoms broke out. Wow....that must reaffirm their faith (not sarcasm).

Oh and he had been wearing a protective suit for several weeks before he caught it. Funny how the folks in the U.S. shouldn't be worried (since you can't get it from a sneeze....nothing to see here, no reason to panic, just move on) even though the guys in suits are getting sick.

Thanks for the link! Watching it now.

So the doctor that got sick had his wife and 2 very small children living with him in Liberia, sounds like they could have gotten it too if they hadn't flown to the U.S. to attend a family wedding shortly before his symptoms broke out. Wow....that must reaffirm their faith (not sarcasm).

Oh and he had been wearing a protective suit for several weeks before he caught it. Funny how the folks in the U.S. shouldn't be worried (since you can't get it from a sneeze....nothing to see here, no reason to panic, just move on) even though the guys in suits are getting sick.

This link has the full show. IMO, everyone who has concerns should watch it:

http://www.nbcnews.com/watch/dateline/saving-dr-brantly-part-1-325902915631

Duncan's symptoms included a 100.1 F temperature, abdominal pain, a headache and decreased urination, the hospital said. He said he had no nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Based on that, the hospital decided to release him.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/26...ing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They gave him abx for those symptoms?

Antibiotics and painkillers.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/health/ebola-us/

I remembered that cause it struck me as odd giving painkillers for those symptoms.

What about all of the probably dozens of times the patient flushed the toilet prior to hospitalization?

The feds will come back with some BS that it doesn't really matter. Just watch.

Thanks, I see that now that he was in Nigeria. It was not in the tweet. I had the same thought about Nigeria having it under control. Even more frightening to think of two possible cases that are totally unrelated in any way. Let's hope that the second case is just a matter of the hospital being overly cautious.

I am hopeful that is the case. I think right now, in this current climate, anyone going into a hospital with fever and vomiting could be said to have ' ebola ' like symptoms . They are also symptoms of lots of other things , though .
But , boy oh boy, if the guy in DC does have ebola, this thing just blew up in a hurry because that would mean Dallas patient was contagious on plane, right? Surely, they are not unrelated if so. It's creeping .

The feds will come back with some BS that it doesn't really matter. Just watch.

Well I am just glad they sent 3,000 U.S. troops over there....with the overall lack of knowledge I think that will work out very well. :rolleyes:

I also decided this was a good time to buy latex gloves and face masks just in case casual visits to the grocery store become worrisome. Am considering adding gloshs (sp) to the mix. Ain't nobody gonna be spewing body fluids onto me or touching me so I think that is a good start.

I am hopeful that is the case. I think right now, in this current climate, anyone going into a hospital with fever and vomiting could be said to have ' ebola ' like symptoms . They are also symptoms of lots of other things , though .
But , boy oh boy, if the guy in DC does have ebola, this thing just blew up in a hurry because that would mean Dallas patient was contagious on plane, right? Surely, they are not unrelated if so. It's creeping .

We don't know if there is any connection between Duncan and the man in DC. It sounds like there is not. The man in DC was recently in Nigeria. It hasn't been reported if he was on the same plane as Duncan.

And Dallas toilet water goes directly to Houston

well heck, reckon I'm going to drink wine from now on..lol

the laughter is because I need a way of venting...nervous laughter..

chit, double chit,,

I thought Nigeria had eradicated this?

You don't eradicate it. Nigeria contained it's outbreak of approx 20 infected and has no new cases since end of August. That does not preclude a second outbreak. Also, We don't know the full travel history of this man, or even if he HAS Ebola at this point. Sounds like they're bein cautious, and that's a good thing.

You don't eradicate it. Nigeria contained it's outbreak of approx 20 infected and has no new cases since end of August. That does not preclude a second outbreak. Also, We don't know the full travel history of this man, or even if he HAS Ebola at this point. Sounds like they're bein cautious, and that's a good thing.

Well its not looking good that's all I know.

Well its not looking good that's all I know.

I dunno, I am inclined to think it's a good thing to hear that patients are being questioned and isolated just in case. Better we know about them and have them in hospital than have them running around publicly and NOT knowin about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member