Ebola outbreak - general thread #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of lurkdom.......the article I'm trying to reference below which I believe might be from an earlier post suggests it was his sister, not Louise who came to visit him in Liberia:

“His sister came from the United States and he asked for a day off so that he could go meet her at the Mamba Point Hotel,” Mr. Brunson said, mentioning a hotel popular among foreigners. “He quit a few weeks after that.”

The article also goes on to explain how Marthalene may have contracted ebola:

"But a cousin who came to visit Ms. Williams later died of Ebola after apparently being infected by her mother, who is now in a Ebola treatment center..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/africa/ebola-victim-texas-thomas-eric-duncan.html?_r=0

Does Louise work? If she traveled over there and back, why? if he was coming back in a few weeks?

Yes, she probably could of convinced him to come, but if he has dual citizenship, his money he made would be tax free.
He lived very poorly for a man used to a better life here.
We need more info on why he came also.
Why did he quit his job?
Why did he carry a dying girl to 3 hospitals? knowing her parents had just died of Ebola?

Why would they take someone having a miscarriage to an Ebola Tx ward?

Duh.
I posted about that earlier and someone responded that the hospitals are so full with ebola patients so that the whole hospital is an ebola ward and they are all filled. Thus, you get turned away no matter what is wrong with you. I don't know if that is true or not. We have seen photos of dead bodies on hospital floors. Whether that was in Williams' location, I do not know.

I posted about that earlier and someone responded that the hospitals are so full with ebola patients so that the whole hospital is an ebola ward and they are all filled. Thus, you get turned away no matter what is wrong with you. I don't know if that is true or not. We have seen photos of dead bodies on hospital floors. Whether that was in Williams' location, I do not know.

Was there a link to the hospitals being full or was it their opinion?

Out of lurkdom.......the article I'm trying to reference below which I believe might be from an earlier post suggests it was his sister, not Louise who came to visit him in Liberia:

“His sister came from the United States and he asked for a day off so that he could go meet her at the Mamba Point Hotel,” Mr. Brunson said, mentioning a hotel popular among foreigners. “He quit a few weeks after that.”

The article also goes on to explain how Marthalene may have contracted ebola:

"But a cousin who came to visit Ms. Williams later died of Ebola after apparently being infected by her mother, who is now in a Ebola treatment center..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/africa/ebola-victim-texas-thomas-eric-duncan.html?_r=0

This article is unclear- whose mother- the cousin's mother or Marthalene's mother Amie Williams?

I don't need a link to an opinion. Thanks though.
Well, here it is anyway. It was posted by Lyra in response to my post.

There is so much ignorance and misunderstanding going around that it would not surprise me if the press have mixed things up anyway.

My understanding was that pregnant women were suffering greatly since about the ONLY medical care available now is for trying to deal with Ebola in those areas where the outbreak is raging because they are totally overwhelmed. So basically every ward is an Ebola ward and women who need emergency obstetric care are being turned away and dying. In some cases, the medical staff who would have treated them have died and the few maternity staff remaining are too scared to deal with patients.

So I would take that description of an Ebola 'ward' with a pinch of salt. I think she went to the hospital as advised by her local clinic having been told she had malaria and they simply did not have capacity to help her and sent her away.

Firstly, as one of the poorest countries in the world, very few of them would have anywhere near enough money for an air ticket.

Thirdly, quite a few parts of Liberia do not even have electricity - so how on earth would anyone outside of the immediate vicinity even know about Thomas Duncan - let alone his ill fated trip to America?

Yeah I wondered about the first part especially seeing where he lived. Who paid for that ticket? Was it the fiancee? I suspect so.

As far as no one in Liberia having a clue about Duncan coming to the U.S.....I strongly disagree with that. They have radios! And more importantly they have WORD OF MOUTH. One person in the village with a truck radio, or portable radio, and the entire village will know about it. 150 years ago no one in the U.S. had electricity, or TVs, radios, phones etc....but that didn't stop news from traveling QUICK via word of mouth (and newspapers too). Sharing news was one of the main forms of entertainment.

Girl (his niece I think)who was in ambulance with Duncan has been given clear to go back to work as a CNA. She was around him when he was puking all over the place.

Yeah I wondered about the first part especially seeing where he lived. Who paid for that ticket? Was it the fiancee? I suspect so.

As far as no one in Liberia having a clue about Duncan coming to the U.S.....I strongly disagree with that. They have radios! And more importantly they have WORD OF MOUTH. One person in the village with a truck radio, or portable radio, and the entire village will know about it. You can be sure news (accurate or not) travels fast by word of mouth, how else would the rumors about the Ebola clinics "lying to steal people's blood" have gotten propagated?
I agree with you Sonya, they are not isolated from the rest of the world like an Aboriginal tribe. They get international news, and they have phones and facebook. Duncan himself, while only a truck driver, worked for a FedEx contractor in a bigger city.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I would not stake my life on it, but I am pretty sure. Earlier, she had her photos and other stuff and they were all deleted when this case made headlines.
Also, there are links on her friends list to her daughters.
That said, a lot of the people from Africa have the same name.

She probably lied about that or never updated it because one of her likes is Dallas Texas. Plus her daughter Mawhen Jallah is one of her friends and is listed as Dallas Texas.
Quoting myself in response, it's her.

She probably lied about that or never updated it because one of her likes is Dallas Texas. Plus her daughter Mawhen Jallah is one of her friends and is listed as Dallas Texas.

Interesting. I hadn't visited her facebook. That time frame would match that in the article that mentioned the sister. Sounds like they came and made some sort of plan. Her facebook says she lives in Ecuador but doesn't she live in Dallas?

BBM.
Anyone can put anything down on Facebook. The information is not verified/vetted. I could put Mars down as my hometown.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_SPAIN_EBOLA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-06-14-41-22

MADRID (AP) -- In the first known transmission of the current outbreak of Ebola outside West Africa, a Spanish nurse who treated a missionary for the disease at a Madrid hospital has tested positive for the virus, Spain's health minister said Monday.

The female nurse was part of the medical team that treated a 69-year-old Spanish priest who died in a hospital last month after being flown back from Sierra Leone, where he was posted, Health Minister Ana Mato said. The nurse is believed to have contracted the virus from that priest."

"Spanish authorities said they were investigating how the nurse became infected at a hospital with modern health care facilities and special equipment for handling cases of deadly viruses."

It seems the docs at the clinic would ask her to stick out her tongue and when there was no bite mark they would know it was ebola.

She was on holiday when she became symptomatic, so now they have to trace anyone she could have come in contact with....

BOOM! Ebola has exploded....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member