Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
News is breaking that the healthcare worker has tested positive for the virus.

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Texas health care worker tests positive for Ebola, second person diagnosed with the illness on US soil: doctor

The worker at Texas Health Presbyterian hospital in Dallas reported a low-grade fever on Friday night and was isolated and referred for testing, the state’s department of health services said. The preliminary test result was received late on Saturday.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/12/texan-healthcare-worker-ebola-thomas-duncan-us

I wonder if this health care worker was one of the people exposed to Mr. Duncan on his first visit to the hospital when they sent him home.

I wonder if this health care worker was one of the people exposed to Mr. Duncan on his first visit to the hospital when they sent him home.
I think it almost has to be because in his medical records the Dr from his 2nd visit gloved and masked immediately. I would hope he also took other precautions... but then again who knows. :dunno:

Local Dallas morning news reports that there will be a press conference at 7:30 am CDT.

Horrible.

This news makes me wonder if someone in the family is positive and they are not telling us.

Local Dallas morning news reports that there will be a press conference at 7:30 am CDT.

Can someone transcribe it and put it on here please? Thank you in advance.

Once again - work calls.

Trying out unknown drugs on poor people in another country as a first human trial is not usually seen as a best case scenario. It it did not work or caused other problems then it could become an enormous issue. People who get experimental drugs usually have to give a lot of consent and sign away some rights and know there can be many risks. That would be hard to explain to someone who comes from another country where many of the areas are like a third world country. Also, you would not get a good followup on such foreign patients because they may move after Ebola ravages their village and they need to be followed up on to see what effects the meds might have in the years to come.

There is also a TREMENDOUS amount of money at stake if their drug can be approved. As such having the medical history on the people trying it, and keeping them in controlled conditions (in modern hospitals) makes for better test results.

If they tested it in a handful of people at a small third world clinic with horrid sanitation, questionable food, patients with other co-infections that have not been identified due to no lab work etc...then the drug could be blamed for "bad results" even though something else caused the deaths. If that happened their shot at getting approval and sweeping the market could disappear and another drug might become the drug of choice.

Sad but inspiring story of an Ebola survivor in Liberia.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-others-fight-the-disease#start-of-comments

She explains a bit about what it feels like and also the supportive treatment provided. There is a mention of oral rehydration salts.

I am grateful to the workers here for their care. They are very good people. The care, the medication and self-encouragement can also help a patient to survive. When you’re sick with Ebola, there’s always a need for encouragement. Take your medication; drink enough fluids – whether it’s oral rehydration solution, or water or juices – but don’t keep your system empty. Even if they bring you food and you don’t have any appetite to eat, just eat the soup.

Now I am back at the treatment centre, helping people who are suffering from the virus to recover, working as a mental health counsellor. Helping people brings pleasure, and that is what brought me here. My efforts here may help other people to survive. When I am on a shift, I counsel my patients. If a patient doesn’t want to eat, I encourage them to eat. If they are weak and are unable to bathe on their own, I help to bathe them. I help them with all my might because I understand the experience – I’ve been through the very same thing.

Can someone transcribe it and put it on here please? Thank you in advance.

Once again - work calls.

Sorry, I don't know how. I'm just an old woman & am barely computer literate.

Supposedly it will be carried live on our local NBC station. Can you set your DVR to record?

Breaking news on CNN:

Texas Healthcare Worker tests POSITIVE for Ebola

Sun October 12, 2014 (CNN) -- A healthcare worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has tested positive for Ebola after a preliminary test, the state's health agency said. Confirmatory testing will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The employee helped care for Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person ever diagnosed with Ebola in the United States. Duncan died on Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health/ebola/index.html

Yes I just saw that breaking news......terribly sad for the health worker, especially if they contracted it when Duncan first went in there.....that seems very unfair and makes me angry at the irresponsibility.....

They haven't said how this person got it...........if not from the first visit, then that is mighty scary if they were all protected when dealing with him.... and now of course there is the threat to all of those others that this person may have treated (yes I know it only is contagious when the fever hits, but I don't totally trust that) and of course this persons family...

What I think now needs to happen is that there needs to a team on rotation that treat this new case and these people don't go home, they stay in isolation until this person is cured or dies and then for the 21 period afterwards.............and I'd pay them a lot more money!!!!! but the cycle needs to be broken in Dallas and that is the only way to be sure it will...

Hope this new case survives...it's all very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member