Ebola outbreak - general thread #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the healthcare worker was involved in the care on the 2nd visit. How is it that a worker who presumably took precautions contracted the disease, but the people who were living in the same home with him haven't gotten the virus. It's very weird.
The virus load multiplies... It might not have been high enough until later OR we are not being told the whole story. When was the last report on Duncan's family?

All posts are MOO

So the healthcare worker was involved in the care on the 2nd visit. How is it that a worker who presumably took precautions contracted the disease, but the people who were living in the same home with him haven't gotten the virus. It's very weird.

Incubation period is not over yet. We don't know that people living in the same home didn't get the virus.

I hate to say it but if they can't figure out exactly how this person who was supposedly " low risk" contacted the virus, we are going to start seeing some panic. ( or if one more person gets it). That pressed did not instill any confidence in me. I felt like they looked totally baffled!

I hate to say it but if they can't figure out exactly how this person who was supposedly " low risk" contacted the virus, we are going to start seeing some panic. ( or if one more person gets it). That pressed did not instill any confidence in me. I felt like they looked totally baffled!

Nurse in Span was also wearing full protective gear. Still got it. I think the problem comes when you take gear off. If you touch the face (like the nurse in Spain supposedly did), then you can get the disease.

How about Australia are all the hospitals ready there?

Despite talks with nations including the UK, US and throughout Europe, Australia had been unable to ensure a treatment or evacuation plan for its personnel should they be sent to west Africa, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...087705061?nk=164282264ba28d9bef4972bdc86143bd

bbm Australia isn't really ready either.

Not really sure what your point is. What gave you the impression that I think all Australian hospitals are ready?

From the press conference..................."The healthcare worker & her parents request privacy & want no additional information released at this time". She was wearing protective gear & following CDC guidelines at all times. And yes, Jenkins looks like he has just seen a ghost.

It is going to be interesting to see how this patient does with full blown, as good as it gets, medical care from the start.

Duncan got good supportive care after his second visit. Unfortunately all the drugs are experimental, so it's not clear whether they work.

From the press conference..................."The healthcare worker & her parents request privacy & want no additional information released at this time". She was wearing protective gear & following CDC guidelines at all times. And yes, Jenkins looks like he has just seen a ghost.

Judge Jenkins should look like he saw a ghost. He was running around with the family, wearing no protection.

What do you suppose "low risk" means. In my mind it would be someone who did not have direct contact with patients secretions. Not sure but what would distinguish between high and low risk other than that?

Duncan got good supportive care after his second visit. Unfortunately all the drugs are experimental, so it's not clear whether they work.

He had full blown symptoms by then. This healthcare worker just had a temp

Just to clarify, they said the person was wearing CDC recommended personal protective equipment. He/she was not wearing a CDC "space suit".

Yes, I heard, but there has been some discussion here that the CDC is full of you know what with regards to their PPE guidelines for ebola.

Live presser... HLN.
Does this guy sound scared? No confidence in his tone at all!

Oh snap!
ER is now on diversion due to "staffing".

All posts are MOO

In press conference they say that 18 other hospital employees are being monitored.

The virus load multiplies... It might not have been high enough until later OR we are not being told the whole story. When was the last report on Duncan's family?

All posts are MOO

I keep asking if anyone has heard from them lately and apparently the answer is NO.

Question -- Obviously that TX hospital did NOT talk about the SUSPECTED infected healthcare worker UNTIL that individual tested positive.

It sounds like they had to scramble to find all other possible contacts, take care of the pet, close the ER, etc...so they could NOT keep the situation secret.

What about the family though? Would they have a legal obligation to make a public announcement if one of the family members tested positive? I doubt that they would be obligated especially since they already know who the family contacted so it seems to me they COULD keep the situation quiet.

Just to clarify, they said the person was wearing CDC recommended personal protective equipment. He/she was not wearing a CDC "space suit".

I wouldn't be surprised if what's recommended by CDC is not adequate.

Did they say they had someone else in quarantine?
I understood it to be the significant other of this allegedly female nurse. They said "isolation" in the hospital. Maybe they are together? He/she refused to leave her side??? Maybe???
THAT makes me really sad. :(
Their pet was still at home...

All posts are MOO

Did they say they had someone else in quarantine?

I think they said one other person who was in close contact with patient was in quarantine. Perhaps a boyfriend? Unconfirmed , but I read on another site that patient is a female nurse.

I understood it to be the significant other of this allegedly female nurse. They said "isolation" in the hospital. Maybe they are together?
THAT makes me really sad. :(
Their pet was still at home...

All posts are MOO

What kind of pet? I hope we don't do the same they did to the dog in Spain. Pet should be put in isolation and tested for the disease instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!