Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and we posted earlier about 'normal' temperatures vary from person to person. My normal is 97.1. Is my threshold still 101.5?

Real question from our healthcare peeps.

IKWYM My normal temp is 94.8 and a temp of 101.5 would be very high for me and I would be very ill.

I think there was a level of trust. Nurses are licensed and there were protocols to be followed including the one about self-reporting and avoiding commercial aircraft. The nurse knew it and did what she wanted.

JMO

I really don't like the bashing of this young nurse. We do not know what she was thinking or what she had been told regarding traveling. Can you provide a link where other nurses who worked with Ms. Vinson report they were told not to travel by air? She is human. The point that she holds a license and has been trained should give us just an inkling of how the general population will respond should there be an outbreak. I do not think we can truly imagine how we or our loved ones would act if we were exposed to this deadly virus.
If she believed she was ill why did she not go directly to a hospital in Ohio?

jmo

NBCdfw at 4pm has spotted an air ambulance at Love Field. There are also several police cars so they 'suspect' that this is the air ambulance that will take the nurse to Atlanta. This has not been confirmed but the news station is keeping watch.

FAA has just confirmed it is in fact the plane that will be taking nurse 2 to Emory.

Didn't Friedman say one time that you can't get ebola when riding on the bus?

Wasn't that a different guy? A doc who had studied ebola?

At any rate, wasn't that statement made about riding on a bus with an asymptomatic person? And that rational statement was followed by idiocy stating that a symptomatic person would be too ill to travel?

Obviously not true.

I admit that I had assumed a lot about the "monitoring" criteria. I assumed also that "any" fever along with "having had just been involved with treating an Ebola patient" would have put a person directly into quarrantine and not on an airplane full of unsuspecting people. What exactly did "monitoring" really mean? Trusting the exposed personnel to do whatever they please? go where ever they want? I had incorrectly assumed that these people being monitored would not be allowed to travel on public transportation of any kind until the possibility of Ebola infection had been ruled out. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

The second nurse, for whatever reason, was placed by the CDC into a category of "Minimal Risk" and was "self monitoring".

I really don't like the bashing of this young nurse. We do not know what she was thinking or what she had been told regarding traveling. Can you provide a link where other nurses who worked with Ms. Vinson report they were told not to travel by air? She is human. The point that she holds a license and has been trained should give us just an inkling of how the general population will respond should there be an outbreak. I do not think we can truly imagine how we or our loved ones would act if we were exposed to this deadly virus.
If she believed she was ill why did she not go directly to a hospital in Ohio?

jmo

You would have to ask her why she didn't contact a hospital in OH instead of getting on commercial flight with a fever. She was self-monitoring, so from what has been reported, she knew she had a fever fore she got in the flight.

The second nurse, for whatever reason, was placed by the CDC into a category of "Minimal Risk" and was "self monitoring".

All nurses were at first. Until the first nurse got Ebola. At that point CDC started saying more could be infected.

To me it seems a bit ironic that were quick to ban flights for our own people but not for the ones who caused this fiasco in the first place.. Just saying.

All nurses were at first. Until the first nurse got Ebola. At that point CDC started saying more could be infected.

Yes, and we posted earlier about 'normal' temperatures vary from person to person. My normal is 97.1. Is my threshold still 101.5?

Real question from our healthcare peeps.

She reported that she was running a low grade temp so that tells me that her temp was elevated above her norm. She should not have boarded that plane. She should have called 911 and reported it immediately.

In this case of screening for a possible Ebola infection, I think that "any" temp experienced by anyone who has been in contact with someone with Ebola should not have been allowed on that plane. Maybe all passengers and not just those from affected countries should be completing a questionare (assuming they tell the truth) prior to being allowed to board a plane.

To me it seems a bit ironic that were quick to ban flights for our own people but not for the ones who caused this fiasco in the first place.. Just saying.
The problem seems to be that we didn't ban flights for Mr. Duncan's contacts. Which is how this nurse manage to flight with a fever.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. If they were sick, no way would they keep quiet. They'd be claiming it was further proof of negligence by the hospital..
What if they are sick, what if they are being kept quiet, whatit their phone access to the outside world hs been cut off? Wo knows?

Wasn't that a different guy? A doc who had studied ebola?

At any rate, wasn't that statement made about riding on a bus with an asymptomatic person? And that rational statement was followed by idiocy stating that a symptomatic person would be too ill to travel?

Obviously not true.

I found it. It was Obama.

The problem seems to be that we didn't ban flights for Mr. Duncan's contacts. Which is how this nurse manage to flight with a fever.

So now it appears we need a "no flight list" for ebola purposes. Again, I'm just gutted that this action was taken by a nurse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne