Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really glad this is coming out because it's NOT her fault. The people in ' charge' are incompetent fools and initially wanted to put the blame on her and let her seem like the one who was careless. I'm sorry Nurse number 2, that I thought you were foolish for a bit. Really glad the CDC is taking responsibility for this. Poor thing. She trusted them and probably feels AWFUL for potentially spreading it. Bless her !

Not bashing AV here but, speaking for myself, I could not have boarded that plane. I just took two days off from work and school last week because I had a sore throat and a slight fever - not because I couldn't have physically done my job or go to my classes, but because I didn't know if it might be contagious and I didn't want to give it to my co-workers and classmates. That's just me though.

A bit off topic but I got this question at my annual Gyn apt this morning (In Calif):
"Have you been out of the country lately?"

ETA I guess that's our screening process in outpatient clinics here.

As satisfying as it is to dogpile on PHD, we are in danger of trying to convince ourselves that "THAT hospital" is the problem. I think we need to realize that this is probably representative of a whole lot of places, though I don't want to take away anything from facilities which might actually be ready and capable.

It's a wake up call for every hospital in every state.

It absolutely is, and I dont solely blame PH, or the state of Texas, nor do I think every hospital in, say, my state is prepared. The hospital I live literally next door to? Probably not, lol. Though they have a GREAT ER. The one a couple miles away I know is VERY on top of things. Similarly, Dallas PH was woefully unready. Maybe Dallas as a whole is. Another city in Texas might have had the forethought and funding to get prepped. It will vary. But I'm betting the better funded areas that put a priority on public health will be more ready than those that don't.

If we insist on doing things in this country solely on the local/state level, then localities and states MUST make sure that their facilities are prepared. <modsnip>

Personally, I think it makes more sense to have a stronger federal level authority overseeing. As it is, we have the worst of both worlds. A federal advisory entity (CDC) with no teeth to enforce anything. And states and localities that will vary widely on how well prepared/trained/ready they are for things like this.

Poor thing had to be FLIPPING OUT after hearing about Nina and then spiking a fever herself.

Plasma is the only part of blood that is transfused per Dr. Brantley. BTW there are no ABO antigens in plasma. The reason Duncan did not receive a transfusion was not because he was not a match...!!!

ETA: a match is not necessary fo one to receive plasma from another.

It absolutely is, and I dont solely blame PH, or the state of Texas, nor do I think every hospital in, say, my state is prepared. The hospital I live literally next door to? Probably not, lol. Though they have a GREAT ER. The one a couple miles away I know is VERY on top of things. Similarly, Dallas PH was woefully unready. Maybe Dallas as a whole is. Another city in Texas might have had the forethought and funding to get prepped. It will vary. But I'm betting the better funded areas that put a priority on public health will be more ready than those that don't.

If we insist on doing things in this country solely on the local/state level, then localities and states MUST make sure that their facilities are prepared. People MUST make sure their local and state politicians support robust public health policies and funding.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to have a stronger federal level authority overseeing. As it is, we have the worst of both worlds. A federal advisory entity (CDC) with no teeth to enforce anything. And states and localities that will vary widely on how well prepared/trained/ready they are for things like this.

I would personally prefer the CDC know what the left hand is doing from the right hand before they get teeth.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/most-u-s-hospitals-cannot-safely-handle-ebola-patients/5407846
Ebola is a Level 4 pathogen and is not meant to be handled outside of these labs.I appreciate that nurses are not being properly trained and outfitted.I work in a lab testing blood.We only wear gloves,lab coats and goggles.Blood tubes are opened continuously where I work,producing aerosols.We do not use a fume hood to open them under.Blood is sent to our lab from Emerg. To help with the diagnosis of a patient.I hope and pray that we don't hear after the fact....." Oh by the way,that patient is now found to have been Ebola positive!&#55357;&#56879;

If anyone is interested in escaping for a brief moment to a time in your life when you didn't know about horrific diseases and bureaucratic incompetence, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is on now on ABC.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/most-u-s-hospitals-cannot-safely-handle-ebola-patients/5407846
Ebola is a Level 4 pathogen and is not meant to be handled outside of these labs.I appreciate that nurses are not being properly trained and outfitted.I work in a lab testing blood.We only wear gloves,lab coats and goggles.Blood tubes are opened continuously where I work,producing aerosols.We do not use a fume hood to open them under.Blood is sent to our lab from Emerg. To help with the diagnosis of a patient.I hope and pray that we don't hear after the fact....." Oh by the way,that patient is now found to have been Ebola positive!&#55357;&#56879;

Well it sounds like you guys are at risk for any blood borne pathogen!. Those don't sound like Universal Precautions at all to me.

I'm really worried about Amber. Condition is worse than Ninas per CNN via CDC. Is there anyone that can provide blood for her?

Perhaps Dr Writebol, even though she has had malaria. According to an interview someone posted earlier, Writebol apparently has offered to donate to others here but was not a match. Perhaps she is a match for Amber if none of the others are?

I am trying to find hope in the fact that she was able to board the plane walking on her own. I remember when we brought the first patient back to the states from Africa, it was a big thing, at least psychologically, seeing that he was able to walk himself in.

Plasma is the only part of blood that is transfused per Dr. Brantley. BTW there are no ABO antigens in plasma. The reason Duncan did not receive a transfusion was not because he was not a match...!!!

Every story I have read is that the types have to match. Do you have a link?

@BrianCurtisNBC5: .@texashealth exec will tell Congress tomorrow "we inadvertently provided some information that was inaccurate." #DallasEbola @NBCDFW

They've already determined that this patient didn't have contact with a person from the affected area.

If I were to guess which HC worker, I'd think the triage nurse who first interfaced with that patient. Just a guess, though.

Ebola is a Level 4 pathogen and is not meant to be handled outside of these labs.I appreciate that nurses are not being properly trained and outfitted.I work in a lab testing blood.We only wear gloves,lab coats and goggles.Blood tubes are opened continuously where I work,producing aerosols.We do not use a fume hood to open them under.Blood is sent to our lab from Emerg. To help with the diagnosis of a patient.I hope and pray that we don't hear after the fact....." Oh by the way,that patient is now found to have been Ebola positive!&#65533;&#65533;

That needs to change.

If anyone is interested in escaping for a brief moment to a time in your life when you didn't know about horrific diseases and bureaucratic incompetence, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is on now on ABC.

THANK YOU!! My two younger guys are getting antsy and I'd totally forgotten this was on tonight! :)

Yes but he was still vomiting in the apartment and sweating,using the same washroom.:scared:

Perhaps Dr Writebol, even though she has had malaria. According to an interview someone posted earlier, Writebol apparently has offered to donate to others here but was not a match. Perhaps she is a match for Amber if none of the others are?

I am trying to find hope in the fact that she was able to board the plane walking on her own. I remember when we brought the first patient back to the states from Africa, it was a big thing, at least psychologically, seeing that he was able to walk himself in.

I'm not sure if she can donate. She was treated for malaria and a person is not allowed to donate for the next 3 years.

Perhaps this is a suggestion not a policy? [emoji15]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member