Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to bring this over from the last thread - it is reported by CNN that Nurse Vinson did call CDC about flying and was told it was okay.

If this is truly accurate then we've got some serious problems on are hands, and my tin foil hat needs to be super glued on.

Do we need to now analyze when exactly she was told she could fly? Prior to the original flight to Cleveland? Before her return trip after Nina was diagnosed? Or the worse case scenario....after nurse #1 was diagnosed, and she was running a fever?

These guys really need to start being truthful. Either it's much more easily transmitted than they want to admit, or the protocols, and training are woefully inadequate.

We are beginning to see CYA mode instead of accurate information, and that only leads to more panic.

Too bad the nurses in Texas do not have a union to back them up. There is no union in Louisiana either.
Hopefully we will see changes in the future. BTW nurses that walk out in Texas are almost certainly to be terminated and will probably BR black balled in the business. I am so glad to be retired.

As nurses, we are not going to take it anymore!!!

BBM
I'm not retired, but glad to be out of hospital ICU.

It would really suck to have to choose between personal safety and your livelihood, wouldn't it? Anyone who has gone to nursing school and on to additional training, put your life's blood into it, can understand what these ladies and gentlemen are going through. If I were hiring, I wouldn't hold it against a nurse who did this as long as she didn't walk out on a patient mid shift.

It is still unclear how, exactly, Pham and Vinson were infected with Ebola, but Frieden suggested on Wednesday that it occurred during the days after Duncan was admitted to the hospital and before the CDC team arrived. Duncan was placed in isolation at the hospital on Sunday, Sept. 28, and the CDC did not arrive until Tuesday, Sept. 30, the day Duncan was diagnosed. Pham and Vinson both cared for Duncan during these days and had “extensive contact” with Duncan, who was vomiting and had diarrhea, Frieden said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...passenger-plane-a-day-before-being-diagnosed/

bbm

Did anyone hear on CNN that the CDC is changing the protocol from 101.5 to 100.5?

Why don't they just change it to a ' fever' ? LOL
Seriously it's too hard not to laugh.

I have to make this comment! It sure is odd that the CDC has thrown both of these nurses under the bus, making it THEIR fault they caught Ebola, and the public ridicule has then forced the CDC to take back their original statements!

What type of professionals are these?!

One thing the CDC need to realize and realize it fast:..........their protocols need to be as strict as possible and enforced. Sorry that may upset a few people, but I do not trust this faith that the CDC have that people are always going to do the right thing.................and please I am not blaming in any way the 2 nurses, not at all, I feel extremely sorry for those two and hope they both recover...........I am thinking more of the future as more people get pulled into this web...........I have been on here too long, read too many books, watched too many movies to put my faith in humans always doing the right thing, especially when the survival instinct kicks in.

Wow! Getting caught up.
So, did AV call CDC PRIOR to leaving Dallas for Cleveland?
Or, did she call CDC from Cleveland to tell them she had a low grade fever and ask if it was ok to fly home?
Or both? The reason I ask is that it does not seem like a good decision to even fly to Cleveland in the first place, symptoms or not. Just my opinion. Not blaming her! Just wonder how much clarification was given to her prior to her flying in the first place. CDC really seems to have dropped the ball big time, imo.

Did anyone else hear on CNN that Pham was feeling bad before she had her temp spike and they told her not to come in until she had a fever?

Everyone realizes that the CDC has no authority at the present time to enforce any protocols or anything, right?

Yes, phone operator screwed up with Nurse 2 if this is true. But the real lapse here is the local/state health department down there in Dallas (not to mention the hospital). They absolutely did NOT oversee that their facilities were ready for Ebola (or any other contagious disease, apparently), up to date on CDC guidelines, and ready to handle even just ONE case, never mind a handful or more.

Now she rang a couple of times...........this is not at all the nurses fault............CDC must be absolutely in damage control now!!!

Re the protocols not being enforced: that was what I was saying in my post..............they need to be enforced!

• They have:

• Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Allen

• Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas

• Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Denton

• Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower Mound *

• Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Kaufman

• Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano

• Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Rockwall *

• Ranked #15 in Texas

t performed nearly at the level of nationally ranked U.S. News Best Hospitals in 7 adult specialties, as shown below. Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital has 609 beds. The hospital had 27,244 admissions in the latest year for which data are available. It performed 7,069 annual inpatient and 5,826 outpatient surgeries. Its emergency room had
    83,566 visits. It is also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).

They have :1041 RNS

• Bill for Ebola Adds Up as Care Costs $1,000 an Hour
    • Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital-WNJ (Sherman)
  • They have an excellent reputation in the community” and “very good infectious disease physicians,”

• Texas hospitals charge $8,176 per day on average for treatment of viral illnesses, including exotic diseases such as West Nile virus and Dengue fever, said Andrew Fitch, a health-care pricing expert at NerdWallet, a San Francisco-based company that provides consumer finance and health data.
    The other two at Emery had $25,000 deductibles,

PS : I just it why do you need 15 cops to transfer a pt - not be snarky, but I doubt anyone is going to steal her talk about IMO overreacting!

patient Thomas Eric Duncan may have cost as much as half a million dollars,
    Duncan’s care probably cost $18,000 to $24,000 a day,

• http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-07/bill-for-ebola-adds-up-as-care-costs-1-000-an-hour.html
http://www.texashealth.org/facts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterian_Hospital_of_Dallas

Re the protocols not being enforced: that was what I was saying in my post..............they need to be enforced!

We need a CDC/National Health dept/bureau/whatever with the TEETH to enforce these things. As it is, we have so many in the country who oppose anything being done on the federal level, leaving it all up to the states and localities.

So you will get one outcome in Dallas, and you might get a completely different outcome here in Massachusetts, where public health is heavily funded and we have some of the best hospitals in the country, if not the world. We are lucky that we have strong health funding and enforcement here. I feel badly for folks in states where they do not.

Why would AV call a # to the CDC and get some phone operator?
Wouldn't it be likely she would have a # to a CDC contact that was at Texas Pres. Hosp. handling their end of this? If anyone was to be "monitored" during that time, you'd think it would be direct caretakers of Mr Duncan. You'd think AV and Ms Pham and any other caretakers of Mr Duncan would have a local (TX) CDC contact on speed dial! IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member