Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BELTON (October 16, 2014) Three Belton ISD schools will close Thursday for cleaning, after two students were on the same flight as a Dallas nurse who tested positive for Ebola Tuesday night after caring for a man who was the first person diagnosed in the U.S. with the potentially deadly virus, Belton school officials confirmed late Wednesday night.

In a statement, the district said they will close North Belton Middle School, Sparta Elementary, and the Belton Early Childhood School.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/...With-Ebola-Virus-279266452.html?device=tablet

Hi guys.....just to tell what our government has said today............Australia will not be sending any medical staff to help, the prime minister has contacted countries closer to Africa to try to
ome to some sought of agreement where if any citizens of Australia become sick/may have symptoms etc, they are to be taken to that country instead of being flown 30 hours to Australia....none have so far agreed :deal::facepalm: surprise surprise...

Also they want a register set up so the government is to know of everyone wanting to arrive from West Africa, all organizations such as Red Cross etc have to supply a list of names to the government and when they are to travel back to Australia, I think this is a excellent idea, but am actually surprised it wasn't all ready in place.!!!

Google is worldwide yet all of the google first page hits are here in the USA. Could that be bc other nations have their borders blocked whereas ours are open? This is a legitimate question. People fly all over the world. When the Boston Marathon bombing went down, there were alot of Us as well as Russian & Turkey hits. I know bc I was right on it at the very beginning as the hits were popping up on Google & Bing. It's not like that with this. Almost all of the links are American based. That's weird to me considering there are many o nations that utilize the Internet with Google being the go to search engine. No Russia, no France, not even Germany. Belgium doesn't even pop up and that was Duncan's first layover.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but there is more than one Google. Google.com is what we use in the US. In Germany, it's Google.de. In the Netherlands, it's Google.nl, and in Canada it's Google.ca

So, for example if you go to Google.de and search for "ebola" you get news results from Der Spiegel and other German publications, followed by Wikipedia.de (German wikipedia). US links coming first on US Google would make sense too.

This seems a bit outdated. It states that the natural reservoir is unknown, but I was under the impression that there is now a fairly high degree of certainty that some fruit bat species have been identified as the reservoir. Spillover, by David Quammen, discusses the hunt for the reservoir. Engrossing stuff! He just published the Ebola chapters as a standalone ebook. It is the same price as the full book, which seems a bit ridiculous, but it has apparently been updated. I've raved about the book on here before; I just bought my mom a copy.

Here is a WHO link: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

I used to think the CDC was hot stuff. Talk about fallen idols.
BBM

The scientists are still great, at least. Alas, the management isn't as focused on science as on other things.

I understand the desire some have to trust them, but I also know that as things continue to unfold, even more will be shown that brings the idol down. This will cause some to double down the defenses, but for most observers as well as insiders, it will be sad or disturbing.

We're human. We need to know that we have someone we can depend on to guide us through times like these. I trust that it will work out - that we will continue to force further adjustments until we get SAFE protocols established and agreed upon in all areas needed, from PPE, to standardized procedures, to reliable communication AND THEN, good training and supplies to implement them.

Meanwhile, we have the four safe hospitals and a few other backups to rely upon. They already have proven methods and experienced professionals in place. If nothing else, we can learn from them, if we are willing.

Those should carry us through, as long as we don't have too many more patients, until we have adjusted our expectations and messages to reality and are truly prepared. :)

:eek:fftobed:

I am not going to get myself worked up yet over the nurse flying. She wasn't spewing liquids from her body, and I'm sure she was careful about sneezing, etc. I'm sure if she sneezed, she did so in her elbow. I wish others would do that! Sneezing or coughing into your hand is not good, and being that I work at an airport, I see many that do that, then touch hand rails, etc.

I do not touch the hand rails on the escalator or people mover. I use my elbow (covered by a shirt sleeve or jacket) to touch the elevator buttons. Handicap buttons to open doors are your friends, so you don't have to touch the door handle (use your elbow on the button). The only door handle I have to touch, is to go into the little lobby that is my office area, that is open to the public. I put sanitizer on my hands immediately after touching the handle to enter. People have to talk to me through a little glass hole, that is layered with bullet proof glass, and with a Kevlar wall.

I often dispatch medical assistance for a flight coming in with an ill passenger. These procedures have been amped up. They were established when SARS was a threat a few years ago. But, while I might be trained, it doesn't mean that personally, I'm not nervous. We are a final destination airport, and the surrounding community takes in refugees from many countries. I do hope the sponsors are being proactive in disease control.

I truly fear for India if Ebola makes the jump there. I visited last year and the population density is unnerving as well as the slums in large cities such as Mumbai that have people living densely packed in extremely unhygienic conditions. :(

Not to mention the practice of urinating and defacating in the street.This is my 4th post today about urine.

So, why couldn't these labs be converted for patient care? As a last resort, so as to not unnecessarily interrupt ongoing research, of course. In the case of Boston, there would be no interruption. The level 4s that have been utilized so far have proven that patient care can be safely achieved, thus far.
One in Galveston:
http://www.utmb.edu/gnl/safety/

One in Boston:
http://www.bu.edu/neidl/resources/faq/
The Boston FAQ site lists more labs. I imagine studies involve large primates. I hope there is a way to utilize some of these labs. Thoughts?

Does anyone have a list handy of all medicines used in the past, as well as present, for Ebola? I'm curious and would like to look up patents. Something just doesn't add up to me. We've avoided EBV in the USA since the get go, yet now we're not so lucky? Now? Now when we're at the peak of technology and medical schools are rich with funding for various research on infectious diseases? An entire ocean separates us from where this originated. Wth is going on?

Just saying-this Ebola news took the focus off of ISIS and other world news...

This news about the nurse flying on the plane has just broken here in Australia...... and now I see the above posts where the CDC have told her it was okay to fly with a fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in Australia and I am absolutely furious, so can just imagine how you US posters must be feeling now.

When are they going to take this threat VERY seriously and take absolutely no risks at all???

There are a couple of doctors and scientists all around the world saying that we can no be absolutely sure that it isn't contagious before the fever breaks.

I am dumbfounded as to why they would let a nurse who treated an ebola patient on a plane, especially when they say they had a fever....

Can anyone fill me in, in why the CDC and authorities seem to be quite slack with their measures to ensure this disease doesn't spread???? Is it to stop panic, or fear of Political Correct backlash????

If I was the head of the CDC, at the moment, I would be taking absolutely no risks and make sure strict quarantine procedures were in place for everyone treating EBola patients and have them in place for about a month, just to be on the safe side..............and fight for full financial backing to make sure all protection gear was top quality and extremely protective.......

I know I am repeating myself, but truly.............they let her on a plane with a fever!!!!

This is my opinion only, but it appears to me that a certain amount of transmission is being sought in order to test our response readiness. Lack of true quarantines and inadequate protective gear as well as removal protocols point to this, because I refuse to believe that those tasked with determining best practices could be so idiotic.

Just saying-this Ebola news took the focus off of ISIS and other world news...

St. Louis should be following breaking ebola developments closely. As soon as media starts to ramp up again, release the Ferguson grand jury decision. :innocent:

St. Louis should be following breaking ebola developments closely. As soon as media starts to ramp up again, release the Ferguson grand jury decision. :innocent:

:laughing: Yoda, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member