Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know the head of Presb. Hospital is elected.

I was talking about the judge jenkins and the health ' director'. Not sure how the health director gets their job, not elected, appointed maybe? They both need to go and any others who advised them. I was talking more public officials , than the presby hospital. But I'd be willing to bet everyone at that hospital will have a hard time keeping their job ;)

Chipmunk, you said, "Giving antibiotics just allows more room for a virus to grow, awful."

I've wondered about this as I read that in Sierra Leone that have a national policy now to treat pts. in their home by giving them gloves, rehydration, and antibiotics!

I believe Duncan was given antibiotics for a sinusitis (rhinovirus) and sent home. That's what I was referring to. I understand antibiotics are prophylaxis for 2ndary infection in ebola and other serious infections/in those with weak immune systems.

Andrea McCarren ‏@AndreaMcCarren 10m10 minutes ago
With all the #ebola concerns, I found this informative. Hope you do too. @wusa9 #FactsNotFear
B0HbSTdIIAA2S5i.png

He absolutely states it is not airborne. A droplet flying through the air from a contagious person is indeed "ominous ".

Well, what is his point. We've known that droplets can be infective. What's with the "Let that sink in. The virus may not be airborne, but the droplets are." That's misleading to someone who doesn't understand that "airborne" refers to being able to travel far distances and remain infective for a long time. That's NOT the case for droplets. I think the way that is phrased is disengenous.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/health/us-ebola/index.html
snipped

Vinson said she felt fatigue, muscle ache and malaise while she was in Cleveland and on the flight home, a federal official with direct knowledge of the case told CNN's Elizabeth Cohen. Vinson did not have diarrhea or vomiting while in Cleveland or on the flight home.

image.jpg

I think we all had better brace ourselves, I am sure this is only the beginning of that type of nonsense .....

And .... watching her being taken off plane --- it is just otherworldly, to see space suits, at American airports it just bizaire. Its freaky, surreal, just ugh............

And since as this has progressed,and I get more visuals about what these poor folks are going through. By that I mean when you feel really bad, you really would not mind a hug. Lying there with people in space suits , basically afraid of you has got to be a really rough expericne in and of itself.

Prognosis in the past from Africa, has to add to the horrible mood swings, the emptiness,feeling disconnected from the world, scared while feeling really awful - it truly is tragic.

Moreover, there is such a detailed picture of what worse case scenario could be is horrible. By that I mean like cancer, you get a rough idea of what may go on. But wiht this it is like there is a roadmap to what might happen and it is not a pretty map- does that make sense?

I hope hope they are giving pain meds

Forgive me if this has already been posted--I didn't see it. Local radio is reporting that the Southwestern College/Chula Vista CA scare today was a hoax. WAS A HOAX!!!!! My blood is boiling.

I just saw this interview too. My understanding is Amber's uncle said that someone from Texas contacted Amber to check on her (after Nina became symptomatic) and that this someone from Texas actually contacted CDC and then called Amber back. All in all, that exchange in the interview was vague, IMO.

Secondly, Amber's uncle said Amber told him she felt fine during her stay in Ohio.

Call me confused.......... I don't understand why there is not clarification on these issues yet. Ridiculous.

It sounds like someone from Texas contacted Amber, discovered she had left on her trip and told the CDC. Once they discovered she had left, they may have contacted her to monitor her condition. She probably told them she was fine, leading them to think it was ok for her to fly back on Monday.

Sorry, but those statements are rather misleading. First of all ebola is not contagious before symptoms appear, as with the flu. The insinuation that droplets are as ominous as "airborne transmission" is salacious and false. Please see post #555.

I understand this, and it is a good point. However, I'd like to be clear on another point. I realize that the 'trajectory of contagion' is different with flu having high risk when a person is pre-symptomatic, and ebola having, perhaps, highest risk at the time of death. And, I realize that a cold or flu is apt to attack the respiratory system, which creates droplet transmission, and that Ebola does not particularly attack the respiratory system. With these two points understood, would it be accurate to say, using the medical definition of 'airborne transmission' that: "Ebola does not have airborne transmission, just as colds or flu do not have airborne transmission." That's the understanding that I've gotten, and frankly, it's not nearly as comforting as it should be.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...m-bethesda-maryland-dallas-hospital/17353713/
so Nina's family never requested a move............thousands of miles away..........why? why there?
says she is doing well? they said that about Duncan before he passed.
JMOO, I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing...............circus to me...........

I think her care is a major concern. As she is recovering NIH probably wants her blood for obvious reasons.

IMO he's explaining that Ebola, like a flu virus, requires contact with body fluids of contagious person. And like the flu, if contagious person sneezes/coughs and droplets go into your eyes/nose/throat/cut-you can catch Ebola.

Well, what is his point. We've known that droplets can be infective. What's with the "Let that sink in. The virus may not be airborne, but the droplets are." That's misleading to someone who doesn't understand that "airborne" refers to being able to travel far distances and remain infective for a long time. That's NOT the case for droplets. I think the way that is phrased is disengenous.

She was still walking well considering her 3 hr. flight and how late it is.
I really feel she is going to make it.

Live CNN: Nina Pham walked off the plane to get into the ambulance - bless her heart, she's a fighter!

http://online.wsj.com/articles/prel...student-negative-for-ebola-1413485817?tesla=y

Preliminary Tests Show Yale Student Negative for Ebola
Hospital Officials Said Results of Confirmation Test Could be Ready Friday Morning
---------------------

Just posted the title of the article only to remind us all that Dr. Brantley first tested negative and three days later was positive.

I posted an article (somewhere in these threads!) quoting an official (from WHO, IIRC) that was concerned about how suspected cases are being rapidly deemed negative.

IMO he's explaining that Ebola, like a flu virus, requires contact with body fluids of contagious person. And like the flu, if contagious person sneezes/coughs and droplets go into your eyes/nose/throat/cut-you can catch Ebola.

Well, yeah. Is this a secret? The fact that this illness is both contact and droplet transmission has been well publicized.

The GOOD thing about ebola in this context is than in general, this is not a "sneezy" illness. In Duncan's case, he may indeed have had a sinusitis which might have included respiratory secretions. Haven't heard whether or not that is the case.

I think we all had better brace ourselves, I am sure this is only the beginning of that type of nonsense .....

And .... watching her being taken off plane --- it is just otherworldly, to see space suits, at American airports it just bizaire. Its freaky, surreal, just ugh............

And since as this has progressed,and I get more visuals about what these poor folks are going through. By that I mean when you feel really bad, you really would not mind a hug. Lying there with people in space suits , basically afraid of you has got to be a really rough expericne in and of itself.

Prognosis in the past from Africa, has to add to the horrible mood swings, the emptiness,feeling disconnected from the world, scared while feeling really awful - it truly is tragic.

Moreover, there is such a detailed picture of what worse case scenario could be is horrible. By that I mean like cancer, you get a rough idea of what may go on. But wiht this it is like there is a roadmap to what might happen and it is not a pretty map- does that make sense?

I hope hope they are giving pain meds

If I were caring for any patient, under the same conditions, I wouldn't hesitate to hug them or hold their hand. Would be in PPE. This is a different situation, but the skin to skin human touch is of great therapeutic value.

For the love of God people, please keep your ebola out of Ohio!

https://www.facebook.com/WSYXABC6?fref=nf

BREAKING NEWS: Medics are responding to home on South Champion Ave. in hazmat gear, after woman called, claimed she's recently traveled to West Africa and has Ebola-like symptoms.

Update: Columbus Public Health Dept called to the woman's home.

Latest information here: bit.ly/1F86gKv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member