Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Duncan was given antibiotics for a sinusitis (rhinovirus) and sent home. That's what I was referring to. I understand antibiotics are prophylaxis for 2ndary infection in ebola and other serious infections/in those with weak immune systems.

Yes, you are correct, these patients are given antibiotics in order to prevent bacterial infections as a result of their already very compromised immune systems as a result of the virus. They need all the help they can get. JMO

Why not? Colds and flus can be really "sneezy," thus much more droplet contamination being produced. Ebola is not.

What we should be really afraid of with ebola is vomit and diarrhea, and later, blood. These are what seem to be the most dangerous.

We have our own little science experiment going in Dallas, Texas. Who has shown up ill in a relatively short time? Contacts who were exposed to "droplets," or contacts who were exposed to massive amounts of diarrhea, vomit, and blood?

Of course vomit and diarrhea are the most dangerous! But any body fluid including sweat is dangerous. Isn't this why those exposed are quarantined? Why the CDC doesn't want them on public transportation? The danger of them coughing or sneezing or sweating next to someone on a bus is more likely than them puking on or sitting in someone's lap and having bloody diarrhea. At that point the patient IS more likely to be in hospital and infecting a nurse/doctor than on a plane. JMO

For the love of God people, please keep your ebola out of Ohio!

https://www.facebook.com/WSYXABC6?fref=nf

OMG it was hoax!!

SOUTH COLUMBUS (Dawn Faugl) -- Medics responded to a home on South Champion Avenue in full protective gear, after a woman called authorities claiming she'd recently traveled to West Africa and was now sick with Ebola-like symptoms.

Authorities now say the call was a hoax, and the woman made the claims because she wanted faster treatment.

http://bit.ly/1F86gKv

Further info from link
After some comments by confused readers, Mr. Tolar offered clarification on the difference between spreading the virus and being contagious yourself.

“I said spread, the virus, I did not say you were contagious. What I meant by this, was the summation of two concepts. The first concept is that of a fomite. We have established that the virus can survive for an unspecified amount of time outside the host, and we have established that sneezing/coughing is a perfectly logical method of transmission. So if patient A is infectious/contagious, they sneeze on patient B, but then patient B goes home and picks up their sister’s 1 6 month old, who rubs his face and drools all over your shoulder, he could very well have just orally consumed large quantities of the virus, therefore becoming patient C. Patient B never got sick, the virus never entered their system, yet they are responsible for spreading the virus to someone else.”

“The second concept of this is defining ‘symptom’. Lets assume it means anything other than your baseline condition. That means the first signs of being contagious, are also the more mild symptoms. Flu season is upon us. The initial stages of Ebola are like the flu, and it’s human nature to be in denial, so many people, if infected, would hope it’s just the flu and wait it out. They are not showing symptoms indicative of Ebola, but they ARE symptomatic of something and therefore, by the CDC definition, would be contagious. It’s also normal procedure for people to be symptomatic BEFORE seeking medical care, so technically, everyone will be contagious, BEFORE knowing they have Ebola.”

Now why can't Dr. Frieden explain/answer in this way??????!!!!

www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/interim-guidance-emergency...

Note this states contact with: urine, feces, sweat, saliva (body fluids) is a problem (paraphrased in a nutshell)

This virus doesn't just float through the air spontaneously but can be projected by one who is infected. Exposure can occur with virus that is airborne from an infected person. It's not rocket science!

ETA link doesn't work. Sorry. All I did was Google Ebola virus in saliva.

Really confusing information in our local news media. First they say 8 people are self quarantined, now only 2.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2014/10/seven_in_voluntary_quarantine.html

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/10/ebola_update_officials_wont_sh.html#incart_river

Erme said officials have interviewed several others who came into contact with Vinson during her stay but none of them needed to take any special precautions based on the Center for Disease Control guidelines as of Wednesday. The CDC released new guidelines on Thursday, so they are re-interviewing those who came into contact with Vinson.

"Now we're looking into any additional contacts that meet the new guidelines," Erme said.

Erme said county officials are compiling a list of everyone Vinson came into contact with but did not have the exact number. She said the Center for Disease Control has one worker already in Summit County and that more are on the way here.

If Amber Vinson was staying with family, went with her wedding party to a bridal store, spent time with her fiance, etc. then quite a few people should be in quarantine. Summit Co. Health Dept. is a small department. I don't think they're well prepared for this.

It's crazy around here, so many locals were on the plane with Vinson both coming to and leaving Cleveland. Two of my husband's co workers were on the plane with her. They'll be working from home for the next 21 days.

Texas is a different scenario. Isn't diarrhea, vomit and blood bodily fluids? That would, by reason and logic, include saliva and spit. So if a person with Ebola coughs in my face and saliva, spit goes into my mouth or eye or open paper cut on my hand - I would be exposed to Ebola. CDC says not "airborne" - I agree with scientific def of this word, no proof at this time but ii is airborne in the sense that a droplet can fly, be coughed, be spit through the air.

The fact that it can fly, be coughed or be spit in the air has nothing to do with the "airborne transmission" mode. If you read about what "airborne transmission" actually entails, you can see why we all should be THRILLED that this is merely a contact/droplet rather than airborne. I'm not getting this extreme focus on droplet transmission-which YES, can travel short distances "in the air." People are acting like ebola victims are spewing snot and sneezing and coughing all over the place. They really aren't, because this isn't an URI. And thank goodness!

Who would you rather be around? An infected patient who can sneeze and infect you if you are within 3 or 4 feet, or, if ebola was an airborne transmitted disease, who could infect you from far distances and HOURS after they walked through the room and you never ever crossed paths with them?

Obviously neither, but people are focusing on a rather remote circumstance vs. the way this thing usually transmits. I would be willing to bet the farm that Nina and Amber were not infected by a sneeze.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ital-as-Ebola-Treatment-Center-279491782.html

Chicago Hospitals Could Become Ebola Treatment Centers

snipped
Two hospitals in the Chicago area are considered the hospitals designated to handle Ebola patients, should someone with Ebola-like symptoms arrive at O'Hare Airport, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Those hospitals include Presence Resurrection Medical Center and Rush University Medical Center.

I would say HOAXING at a time like this gets you a big fat misdemeanor. The teenager in Frisco TX who wrote a story about people there having it, just a day or 2 after Duncan was hospitalized, was ARRESTED. Shame on this lady!

Ebola's Incredibly Infectious. Ebola's Also Hard To Catch. Confused? Here's How To Understand.
10/16/2014 @ 6:55AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/10/16/ebolas-very-contagious-ebolas-also-hard-to-catch-confused-heres-how-to-understand/
(In an email, Forbes contributor David Kroll passed along this interesting post from virologist Ian Mackay, which explains that while Ebola may not be “airborne,” a person can still be in danger of being hit by “splatter” from an Ebola patient.)

www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/interim-guidance-emergency...

Note this states contact with: urine, feces, sweat, saliva (body fluids) is a problem (paraphrased in a nutshell)

This virus doesn't just float through the air spontaneously but can be projected by one who is infected. Exposure can occur with virus that is airborne from an infected person. It's not rocket science!

With all due respect, when talking about modes of transmission, "airborne" cannot be used as a general term. When you use the term "airborne" when talking about modes of transmission, droplet does not qualify. With respect to modes of transmission, "airborne" is a very specific term which has criteria to describe it and droplet transmission is not remotely the same thing.

N
I understand the risk in vomit, blood and diarrhea. Portal of entry would have to be skin or mucus membranes (mouth, nose, eyes). To enter mouth, nose or eyes would require touch contact (caregivers own hands) or splashing. Has it been stated that the virus has been found in saliva?

This virus does not enter and attack the respiratory system?

Duncan was on a ventilater.................

This, then is the second hoax today this is not funny - the world has gone nuts-- its actually repulsive - the only positive (sorry) is it gives everyone a chance to practice suiting up.

[h=1]Ebola Hoax: South Columbus Woman Reported Ebola-Like Symptoms Reportedly to Get Faster Treatment[/h]http://www.myfox28columbus.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/South-Columbus-Woman-Claims-She-Has-Ebola-Like-Symptoms-after-Recent-Trip-to-West-Africa-51272.shtml#.VECNSGMxKzE

For the love of God people, please keep your ebola out of Ohio!

https://www.facebook.com/WSYXABC6?fref=nf

The fact that it can fly, be coughed or be spit in the air has nothing to do with the "airborne transmission" mode. If you read about what "airborne transmission" actually entails, you can see why we all should be THRILLED that this is merely a contact/droplet rather than airborne. I'm not getting this extreme focus on droplet transmission-which YES, can travel short distances "in the air." People are acting like ebola victims are spewing snot and sneezing and coughing all over the place. They really aren't, because this isn't an URI. And thank goodness!

Who would you rather be around? An infected patient who can sneeze and infect you if you are within 3 or 4 feet, or, if ebola was an airborne transmitted disease, who could infect you from far distances and HOURS after they walked through the room and you never ever crossed paths with them?

Obviously neither, but people are focusing on a rather remote circumstance vs. the way this thing usually transmits. I would be willing to bet the farm that Nina and Amber were not infected by a sneeze.

thank you for your input although you are imo making a point via semantics---- I will take the word "airborne" out of equation and call it let's say, flying body fluid propelled thru the air from a person with Ebola can infect another person if those body fluids land in mouth eyes or open cuts - I am not disputing how the Nurses got infected...

Really would like to know where the breakdown was that caused the two nurses to become infected. I wish we could get details on PPE used, including brand/manufacturer. Makes me nuts!!!

ITA and have posted that hopefully planning is underway. IIRC, we don't have 19 beds now. I posted an article that one of the four don't have the staff to take care of a "full ward" and another has used some of the patient rooms in the unit for a dedicated lab and an equipment room.

Thx, remembered that and edited above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member