Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by the 4pm news, it's not clear she is from WA vs Liberia. idk

I've seen dozens of news reports stating both, Western Africa and Liberia. Who knows? I'm not sure it really matters. If Ebola can travel to USA then I feel sure it can travel across Africa.

...interviews with several infectious diseases experts reveal that whereas such a mutation—or more likely series of mutations—might physically be possible, it’s highly unlikely. In fact, there’s almost no historical precedent for any virus to change its basic mode of transmission so radically. “We have so many problems with Ebola, let’s not make another one that, of course, is theoretically possible but is pretty way down on the list of likely issues," says infectious diseases expert William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University. "Everything that is happening now can easily be comprehensively explained by person-to-person spread via body contact. We don’t have to invoke anything else.”

Here is what it would take for it to become a real airborne risk: First off, a substantial amount of Ebola virus would need to start replicating in cells that reside in the throat, the bronchial tubes and possibly in the lungs. Second, the airborne method would have to be so much more efficient than the current extremely efficient means of transmission that it would overcome any genetic costs to the virus stemming from the mutation itself. Substantial natural hurdles make it unlikely that either event will occur.

Ebola typically gains entry into the body through breaks in the skin, the watery fluid around the eye or the moist tissues of the nose or mouth. Then it infects various cells of the immune system, which it tricks into making more copies of itself. The end result: a massive attack on the blood vessels, not the respiratory system.

Even viruses that are well adapted to attacking the respiratory system often have a hard time getting transmitted through the airways. Consider the experience so far with avian flu, which is easily transmitted through the air in birds but hasn’t yet mutated to become easily spreadable in that fashion among people.

The difficulty is that those [flu] viruses don’t have the protein attachments that can actually attach to cells in the upper airway. They have to develop attachments to do that,” Schaffner says. So even if a virus were exhaled, it would need to lodge onto something in another person’s cells that are already prepared for it in the upper airway. “Since the virus doesn’t have attachment factors that can work in the upper airway, it’s very rare for it to go human to human, and then it almost always stops and doesn’t get to a third person,”

he delicate lock-and-key protein–virus fit required for the virus to successfully latch onto and replicate in the airway has not developed because there is no evolutionary pressure for it to do so; it simply would not be an efficient option.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-the-ebola-virus-will-go-airborne/

Per Daily Mail, the lobbyist was on a Metro bus, then got on a shuttle bus going to a Marine Corp ceremony (although officials say she did not appear to be invited to the ceremony). She got off the shuttle bus and vomited in the Pentagon parking lot. Told officials she just returned from Liberia two weeks ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2797554/Pentagon-reacts-sick-woman-claimed-Africa-trip.html

She sound disoriented, yet was well enough to get on the Metro. I do feel for her - whatever sickness she has sounds uncomfortable and yucky. I hope it's "just" the flu.

https://gma.yahoo.com/ebola-nurse-d...dc-flight-122900905--abc-news-topstories.html

Well, well, well...the plot thickens.....

ETA: Summary: It says AV called TX Health Officials, not CDC, for ok to fly.

From this article: AV's mother says:
Vinson’s mother, Debra Berry, says her daughter was thrown into a mode of “extreme precaution and fear” after Pham was diagnosed with Ebola, and that her daughter wasn’t symptomatic when she traveled from Ohio to Dallas.
So, she was, according to the article, thrown into a mode of "extreme precaution and fear". I can only conclude that her fear made her want to be with her family.

Secretary of State John Kerry even weighed in, personally calling the Belizean Prime Minister Dean Barrow asking him to allow the passenger to be evacuated through the port, but was rebuffed. Kerry then suggested that an American helicopter could land on the cruise ship and transfer the passenger to an American medevac plane at a Belize airport, but that plan was also rejected.

"My decision had been made. The window of opportunity if it had ever existed had slammed shut," Barrow told Kerry, according to two Belizean government officials.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-scare-sends-caribbean-cruise-ship-back-home/story?id=26276019

I will be interested to see what happens once the ship reaches its home port in Galveston. It is due on Sunday & Sunday will be the 21st day since the Dallas Presbyterian lab worker could have been exposed to samples from Mr. Duncan. If she remained un-symptomatic until Monday she would be free to debark with everyone else. Since she will arrive 1 day ahead of recommended quarantine I wonder what will happen? This is only speculation on my part, but if she is showing symptoms I wouldn't be surprised if they evacuated her by Coast Guard helicopter after the ship gets into US waters. There will be over 3,000 people debarking.

The woman vomiting in DC works for a lobbying and appeals firm and had not been out of the area recently for local news

I will be interested to see what happens once the ship reaches its home port in Galveston. It is due on Sunday & Sunday will be the 21st day since the Dallas Presbyterian lab worker could have been exposed to samples from Mr. Duncan. If she remained un-symptomatic until Monday she would be free to debark with everyone else. Since she will arrive 1 day ahead of recommended quarantine I wonder what will happen? This is only speculation on my part, but if she is showing symptoms I wouldn't be surprised if they evacuated her by Coast Guard helicopter after the ship gets into US waters. There will be over 3,000 people debarking.

All the piers usually have a web cam so if anyone can figure out when the ship is docked, we can actually watch to see if anything interesting is happening...

I thought she got on a bus she didn't belong on and puked there?

4PM nbcdfw.com quotes Judge Jenkins as saying the lab worker is no longer on the cruise ship. How, why, & where they got her off remains to be seen.

See, they tell you when they are negative yet we have heard nothing about the patient transferred to DPH last night....

4PM nbcdfw.com quotes Judge Jenkins as saying the lab worker is no longer on the cruise ship. How, why, & where they got her off remains to be seen.

I believe if they were international waters and close enough to US, coast guard could land a heli on the ship and airlift her off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morgy1