Epic Snow Storm for Mid-Atlantic

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am sighing right along with yall over the new incoming snow!

We are still doing well... my J finally made it home from work this morning after 3-and-a-half days of holding his end of the court down at work. (He is already up for an award and recognition from when he kept things running for a full weekend, alone, back during December's blizzard. Add this blizzard-stay to it, I told him that they should give him a week off to somewhere warm LoL) Our main road is cleared, but all of the side roads are not... and while our neighborhood is near to paralyzed like the rest of the area, neighbor is out helping neighbor, which really makes this mess so much more tolerable. We still have electricity and I have my fingers crossed that we make it through the incoming snow storm unscathed, in regards of that... but if the electricity goes I do have a few cats to keep me warm! LoL

Hope my fellow blizzard buddiess are doing well and hanging in there!

Having a horrible OMG moment: Topper Shutt (WUSA) just said that our county is in the bullseye zone for the snow storm incoming tomorrow. We are to get 1 to 2 more feet dumped on us by Wednesday night.

Guys, don't laugh, but I started crying... this is extremely stressing... and there is nothing we can do about it, other than doing the basics of things to survive it. :(

Having a horrible OMG moment: Topper Shutt (WUSA) just said that our county is in the bullseye zone for the snow storm incoming tomorrow. We are to get 1 to 2 more feet dumped on us by Wednesday night.

Guys, don't laugh, but I started crying... this is extremely stressing... and there is nothing we can do about it, other than doing the basics of things to survive it. :(
I hear you Elphaba ! I love the snow, BUT this is getting severe. I guess for certain areas of the country, this would be nothing to worry about...but, we are not used to or preparred for this much snow. My adult daughter just started a new job last week and she is very stressed that she will not make a good impression unless she chances the drive in tomorrow. I am trying to talk her out of it as we speak...too dangerous.

I hear you Elphaba ! I love the snow, BUT this is getting severe. I guess for certain areas of the country, this would be nothing to worry about...but, we are not used to or preparred for this much snow. My adult daughter just started a new job last week and she is very stressed that she will not make a good impression unless she chances the drive in tomorrow. I am trying to talk her out of it as we speak...too dangerous.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be trying to talk her out of it, too. Given how dangerous it has been and is going to keep getting, her new job should show some mercy. I hope it works out for her, Search...

I know you all who got hit hard are going to hate me but I was really hoping the storm would veer off course just a tad so it would nail NYC too and I have been very disappointed we didn't get anything. I was really hoping for a big blizzard with 2 ft of snow. I LOVED it a couple yrs ago when we got 26 inches. I don't really know why but I think it is exciting, I love having to stock up, I enjoy the chaos, getting snowed in and if I am lucky getting a snow day - maybe all that means I need to get a life?
Looks like the next round will get ya. I can't stand to drive in it (in a neon, LOL), but I managed to get out of the hood today. I'm the diehard that just leaves the car home and takes the bus (I love when the office is empty). It just occured to me if I do that Wed. I might just get stuck. Can't stand the supermarket either, but I'll walk in the middle of it to go to 7-11. Those guys NEVER close.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be trying to talk her out of it, too. Given how dangerous it has been and is going to keep getting, her new job should show some mercy. I hope it works out for her, Search...
Yes, daughter is staying home ! Totals keep going up, I guess this one is hard to call. Any way you slice it, we're getting more snow...I am in shock.

:couch:

I think an epic weather warning is nearly nation wide.

We live south of the Twin Cities and received 10" from Sun - 6:00a Tuesday, with more snow today and another storm expected on Friday. We have already had more snow in the first week of February than we had in the entire month of January. Because weather can be severe here, however, it seems we're more prepared to deal with snow than the Mid-Atlantic region.

Maybe you remember the Red River floods (1997) around the ND/MN border. There is again a prediction of major flooding in this area in spring 2010 - an 86% chance (wonder how 86% became the number...). SD and MN national guard troops are training to prepare for this flood.

Elphaba, I'm not laughing at all and as a matter of fact cried about it last night. My son is in Sterling VA. He just moved there for a job in October of '09. He's alone and never really had to deal with snow (especially not that much) growing up in Hampton Roads VA. He still hasn't been able to find a store that has a snow shovel and has had to borrow one each storm. The last snow storm he walked to his landlord's to borrow one and to go to the store. The snow is eventually going to get so high that he won't be able to even do that.

My prayers are with all of you.

I know you all who got hit hard are going to hate me but I was really hoping the storm would veer off course just a tad so it would nail NYC too and I have been very disappointed we didn't get anything. I was really hoping for a big blizzard with 2 ft of snow. I LOVED it a couple yrs ago when we got 26 inches. I don't really know why but I think it is exciting, I love having to stock up, I enjoy the chaos, getting snowed in and if I am lucky getting a snow day - maybe all that means I need to get a life?

ITA--it is so exciting, and the snow is fresh, and beautiful. Everyone is forced to stop and take a break ( well most people)---BUT---that only lasts about 24-36 hrs. Then the snow gets brown, you have to navigate snow piles just to go anywhere, and it starts to feel like you'll never see the ground again. I love snow too but only for 2 days-----this winter is gonna get old real fast.

??? Does anyone know how long it takes for 40 inches of snow to melt ????

Well it looks like I might get my wish - partly anyway. The NYC metro area is under a winter storm warning with snowfall expected to start tonight through tomorrow night with accumulation between 8-13 inches. That MIGHT be enough to get work cancelled :)

Belleyes - I just read an article that said all the snow which was dumped on the mid-atlantic is enough to fill 12 million olympic size pools and fill the Empire State Building 30,000 times. That's a lot of snow!

I'm so not in the mood for this storm, not that I have a choice in the matter.

Dad is moving from MD to WVa for power restoration this morning. He says it's already starting to flurry. His 5 days is up on Thursday but it looks like they may be staying longer after assessments are made from this storm.

My DS is so excited about the prospect of using the snow blower for the second time in a week! The mechanical master doesn't have any of the "normal" interests of a 5 y/o boy. We're looking at up to another 16 in of whiteness..

Stay warm, everyone!

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!

18-24" more! :woohoo:

I love snow:)

Can she stay in a nearby hotel? Chances are she'll be sent home early. But atleast she will have made a REALLY good impression:)

Looks like tomorrow between 12n and 7pm is going to be the worst time for my area. Expecting 14"-18", but 20"-24" is not out of the question.

My wife just had her weekly appointment and she's at 3cm, 80%. It could be hours, it could be another week. Let's just hope it's not tomorrow afternoon! We're calling her parents who live about 3 hours away, and telling them that maybe they want to come down tonight, just in case!

Be safe everyone!

Yes, good luck Celt...I hope the baby waits for some of this snow to be plowed away !

Linda, my daughter has decided (along with her work) to cancel. They won't be coming in until Friday now (if the roads are good by then).

Gaia, looks like NYC is getting some snow, enjoy !

Hope everyone in the area stays safe and warm...

Looks like tomorrow between 12n and 7pm is going to be the worst time for my area. Expecting 14"-18", but 20"-24" is not out of the question.

My wife just had her weekly appointment and she's at 3cm, 80%. It could be hours, it could be another week. Let's just hope it's not tomorrow afternoon! We're calling her parents who live about 3 hours away, and telling them that maybe they want to come down tonight, just in case!

Be safe everyone!

nice to meet another burbs neighbor.. good luck my fingers are crossed your little one doesnt decide to make an appearance in the strom tomorrow..
I already have a coating on my car and its coming down at a pretty good clip.. 18-24 here is the prediction.. wohoo- the kids are excited they will finally get an actual snow day.. the rest have all been weekend storms so they have only had delays so far...
love it_ reminds me of living in maine :)

I love it! No work, sleeping in, all warm and cozy in my apartment, taking in the splendid views of DC winterwonderland below me.

Snowpalypse Now...the horror...the horror...

It IS beautiful out there byrd. Just went for a walk with the dog and we've already got about 4 inches on the ground, coming down at a good pace.

Now Va is rationing the salt, so we may have to wait a while on that...Good news, DC has plenty.

I'm actually jealous of all you getting snowed it. I don't like snow in general, but when there's a big storm and you HAVE to stay home, I love that. We have had one storm like that this winter, 18" of snow. Shut down pretty much everything. We got about 7" today... big deal. It just makes a hassle, nothing more.

Stay safe! Praying for you and your wife, celt!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back