Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their ICU is one big room- and I cannot imagine taping people in their worst time of their lives is allowed, or should ever be allowed, though maybe it is already happening in certain hospitals? This is one I have to give much thought to

I wonder though if cameras are for security purposes. Everywhere seems to have cameras these days. Not that an Icu would be an ideal place to have them. It seem to me thats an invasion of privacy.

I have no doubt that I would have made the decision to let my child go when first dx as brain dead. Even if I personally wasn't able to accept and deal, I know my family would have held me up and supported me during this extreme time. Jahi's mom says they have a large, extended and close family... where are they in all this? Besides playing cards in the hospital on New Years. jmo

I wonder if everybody is on board with the court battle and believing that there will be a miracle and trying to keep Jahi's ventilation going on as long as humanly possible.

If some family members happened to be convinced that she is dead and this fight is futile and thought that she should be allowed to go in peace it would be a very difficult situation for them, trying to be supportive of the family but not agreeing with what they're doing and anticipating a bad outcome eventually, anyway, no matter what small victories there might be on the way.

No doubt her case will be used as evidence that brain dead people can wake up and recover but I think it is more appropriate to interpret it as a sign that there were some careless and/or incompetent people working in that hospital and lots of problems with the communication and records keeping.

On that note....we read stories about people waking up in morgues in FOREIGN countries every few months. Dead infant discovered to be alive at morgue etc...

Has anyone ever heard of stories like that in the U.S.? Specifically babies or adults being declared dead and then waking up in the morgue? I can't recall one in the last 2-3 decades but perhaps I missed it?

I am not in any way implying that I think Jahi will rise from the dead etc....this question has more to do with organ doners in the US. I realize many are 100% pro organ donation and that is great, I also realize I wouldn't want to live in a brain compromised state. On the other hand I can't say I would 100% trust the medical profession if fresh viable organs were available and the prognosis wasn't so good ya know?

If they make a mistake AFTER the organs are removed who is going to complain? Certainly not the organ doner.

I'm pretty sure Jahi's room had camera(s) in it. I remember one case, (I saw this on TV) where a mother was trying to kill her child by putting fecal matter in the tube and that's how they caught her because there was a camera in the hospital room.

I don't think rooms normally have cameras. Wouldn't that be a huge invasion of privacy? If hospital suspects child abuse (like in the case of a woman putting fecal matter into the IV) they could put cameras in.

I'm pretty sure Jahi's room had camera(s) in it. I remember one case, (I saw this on TV) where a mother was trying to kill her child by putting fecal matter in the tube and that's how they caught her because there was a camera in the hospital room.

No way do I think the room had cameras in it! No way!!!

The mother was suspected of causing the problems with her daughter IN the hospital, that is far far different.

Plus I am pretty sure the hospitals would object to video in most circumstances for reasons of their own...and patients would SURELY object! I do know for surgery videotaping the procedure for "educational purposes" was part of the consent form years ago, I recall because I crossed that part out. If they needed written consent to videotape surgery they would surely need it in seemingly private hospital rooms!

I was reading comments on an article. I don't know if I can post the link but if I can I will. The comment said that Jahi was not suppose to talk after the surgery and was given a board to communicate with her family. That the family didn't like that so they had her talking and laughing. When she asked for a popsicle the nurse heard her and said no talking. Then the bleeding started and the grandmother inserted a tube to suction because she was a nurse. Did I miss this info somewhere or is it just a know it all troll?

This is what I have heard as well, that they did not follow post op intructions.

By Dec. 18, Jamie Court, head of the Santa Monica-based advocacy group and initiative promoter Consumer Watchdog, called on Attorney General Kamala Harris, the California Medical Board and the Alameda County district attorney to investigate.

“As you probably know,” Court wrote to the authorities and to the rest of us, “in a case where negligence is suspected, California law makes it highly advantageous for the medical providers and facilities involved if children die in hospitals rather than live a lifetime with catastrophic injuries and significant medical costs.”

“Under a 38-year-old law, the Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act (MICRA), that has never been indexed for inflation, the most a family can recover in court for the loss of a child is $250,000, no matter how egregious the malpractice. By contrast, the hospital would be responsible for a lifetime of care and caretaking, if the patient lives. In the hospital’s rush to terminate Jahi’s life, this conflict of interest was no doubt never explained to the family.”

Last week, Court took went over the top. In one of the tackiest fundraising appeals I’ve ever seen, Court’s email blast opened by saying: “Consumer Watchdog’s patient safety project fights for families like Jahi’s. We’re working to expose medical negligence and save lives. Please help our fight with a tax-deductible contribution.”

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/05/6045087/dan-morain-jahi-mcmath-case-is.html

Surely many children try to talk after surgery instead of remembering instructions not to talk. Could that open up an artery and cause so much blood loss? I'd think sucking on a popsicle would be the worst thing to do, because the tongue stretches and pulls.

Something that "clicked" for me - I've seen it mentioned in MSM that Jahi was given a whiteboard to communicate, but her mom has stated that the notes that Jahi was writing are missing. Were these paper notes, and if so, why not use the whiteboard?

And good morning, everyone. Lots of interesting info to read from y'all last night!

Jahi's family claims that she wrote notes while in the ICU unit and also claim those notes have disappeared, I guess alluding to a coverup. But IF they even existed, i imagine that they would have been discarded by staff as they most likely would have had blood on them since there was so much blood loss.

But I cannot take anything the family says as factual or reasonably truthful because of their consistency in promoting things that are in opposition to clearly established facts. they have an agenda and don't mind bending the truth (or ignoring it) to push their agenda.

Surely many children try to talk after surgery instead of remembering instructions not to talk. Could that open up an artery and cause so much blood loss? I'd think sucking on a popsicle would be the worst thing to do, because the tongue stretches and pulls.

IMO, yes, because you need to give yourself time to heal.

If it's true that she was talking and she was not supposed to, her mother should have reminded her not to talk.

jmo

About the questions about cameras in patient care areas and rooms, NO. The munchausen by proxy cases cited would have had to have some kind of court order to get cameras there. There are, however LOTS of cameras in the common areas of hospitals, hallways, parking lots, cafeteria, etc.

There has been lively debate over the years about recording devices in places like operating rooms for c-cections, and delivery rooms, wrt med mal litigation. Each hospital has its own policies on this. Hospitals CAN limit what family members can photograph and record. Staff members performing their duties CAN refuse to be photographed or recorded by family members. You can read more about this topic by doing a search.

I am going to go look on my own, but does anyone have enough familiarity with CHO to answer this? Does CHO have multiple specialty ICU's, such as Surgical ICU, cardiovascular ICU, etc, or do they have only one combined PICU?

No one should have been suctioning unsupervised. It could have been the cause of her death. Talking and suctioning could have been the cause of death. JMO

No one should have been suctioning unsupervised. It could have been the cause of her death. Talking and suctioning could have been the cause of death. JMO

This is what i'm thinking

:scared:

From my recovery room experience many children come out of anesthesia like a rocket and can be extremely hyperactive and anxious. Often screaming until their caregiver is at the bedside and then some.

Was Jahi in an ICU room the whole time? If so, I'm thinking they would at least have one camera in there. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme