Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can appreciate that..... it depends though... on exactly when JS interacted with RZ.... I think she was attacked and questioned early in the evening when NR saw the light on in that room... I still question the RZ time of death and with AS involved.... he may have been the one to "finish her off" so to speak.... the loud music and the screams....important clues...

geez..... AS.. the "bedside manner" remark...admitting to watching *advertiser censored*...
the *advertiser censored* viewed earlier in the day at the mansion.... bizarre...
and if RZ actually managed to do all this to herself.... she was already planning her death before the supposed trigger voice mail? yeah right...:confused:

AS defineately involved... alone or with JS... it would be bizarre if it was AS & DS..

The ambien defence.... how convenient.... a lawyer defence strategy...

man there is alot of flotsam and jetsam with this death....

I also would like to know the precise time of Becky's death, and to see or hear testimonies about the videos of Jonah at RMH and hospital to determine the precise times he exited one and entered the other, and to see if there were any gaps in timing.

I don't know about Adam being involved. I'm on the fence on this. There are elements in the murder of Becky that appear to be typical of what a tugboat captain such as Adam would use, e.g., the knots, the type of rope that was around Becky's body. But I think Dina and Nina were obviously aware about Adam being a tugboatman and that he would be coming to Coronado to be with Jonah and Max in his final days. In my mind, Adam does not have the capacity to hide facts. He seems clumsy in his mannerisms, speech, behaviors. I think Dina and Nina were knowledgeable about Adam's quirks and knew he would be staying at the Spreckels guesthouse where he always stayed when he visited Jonah. So I think it's likely that Dina and Nina planned the murder in order to frame Adam.

But I also see the Ambien use as coincidental and suspicious as well. So...IDK about Adam, but I definitely believe Dina was involved physically in Becky's murder.

For starters:
Page 159, first paragraph: "the massive beach rocks that spell out CORONADO". They are sand dunes that spell out CORONADO, and they are covered in ice plant.

Page 161: she lists Jonah as age 50.....he was 54 at the time.

Page 162: she states that Spreckels had 5 stories. It does not, only 4.

Page 168: She refers to John D. Spreckels home which is now the Glorietta Bay Inn as his "beach house". Spreckels main home in Coronado was what is now the Glorietta Bay Inn, directly across from the Hotel Del. There is a tunnel that runs underneath Orange Avenue between the 2 properties, for the purpose of meals being taken to Mr. Spreckels in his mansion. The property at 1043 Ocean was his actual "beach house".

She also incorrectly states that the asking price for Spreckels when sold to the corporation was $16.9 million. The asking price was $16.9 million when the previous owner, George Wiley, put Spreckels on the market, and it was purchased by Shacknai in 2007 for $12.7 million.

Page 169: She states that the walkway to the mansion had carefully trimmed hedges and a hundred feet of purple flowers on either side. She was clearly looking at photos from when the house was on the market in 2007. One of the first things that Shacknai did was to remove the hedges and flowers along the walkway to the front door.

For starters:
Page 159, first paragraph: "the massive beach rocks that spell out CORONADO". They are sand dunes that spell out CORONADO, and they are covered in ice plant.

Page 161: she lists Jonah as age 50.....he was 54 at the time.

Page 162: she states that Spreckels had 5 stories. It does not, only 4.

Page 168: She refers to John D. Spreckels home which is now the Glorietta Bay Inn as his "beach house". Spreckels main home in Coronado was what is now the Glorietta Bay Inn, directly across from the Hotel Del. There is a tunnel that runs underneath Orange Avenue between the 2 properties, for the purpose of meals being taken to Mr. Spreckels in his mansion. The property at 1043 Ocean was his actual "beach house".

She also incorrectly states that the asking price for Spreckels when sold to the corporation was $16.9 million. The asking price was $16.9 million when the previous owner, George Wiley, put Spreckels on the market, and it was purchased by Shacknai in 2007 for $12.7 million.

Page 169: She states that the walkway to the mansion had carefully trimmed hedges and a hundred feet of purple flowers on either side. She was clearly looking at photos from when the house was on the market in 2007. One of the first things that Shacknai did was to remove the hedges and flowers along the walkway to the front door.

But are these details pertinent to the murder of Becky?

But are these details pertinent to the murder of Becky?

While not necessarily pertinent to Rebecca's murder, they are details that are incorrect. If it were me, I would want to make certain that I fact-checked everything to make it more realistic........it makes me wonder what else that is pertinent was also not fact-checked.

While not necessarily pertinent to Rebecca's murder, they are details that are incorrect. If it were me, I would want to make certain that I fact-checked everything to make it more realistic........it makes me wonder what else that is pertinent was also not fact-checked.

So far I don't see anything in the details you state as "erroneous" that would interfere with the facts of the actual investigation of Becky's murder. She likely concentrated on interviewing pertinent people, e.g., LE, witnesses, hospital/RMH staff, etc. on getting the info regarding the murder itself, rather than on the history of Spreckels or whether rocks were ice or beach rocks, etc.

So far I don't see anything in the details you state as "erroneous" that would interfere with the facts of the actual investigation of Becky's murder. She likely concentrated on interviewing pertinent people, e.g., LE, witnesses, hospital/RMH staff, etc. on getting the info regarding the murder itself, rather than on the history of Spreckels or whether rocks were ice or beach rocks, etc.

I think the point is, if AR couldn't get the her facts right about seemingly "unimportant" information, then how can we give any credence to any "new" information provided in her book. Any reader novice to the case would be influenced and very likely come to a different conclusion if they believed, for example, that Dina responded to police knocking on her door EARLY TUESDAY morning, rather than mid afternoon Monday, 5 hours after her son's fatal accident.

"Jonah said he attempted to locate his ex-wife Dina, but he'd gotten no answers when he called her phones. He was able to reach her twin sister, Nina Romano, in San Francisco. Dina had finally responded to police knocking on her door early Tuesday and spelled Jonah in the hospital." [spelled? FHS, even typos were passed over before publishing]

"Becky's cell phone showed that a call had come in at 11:48 P.M., and that was probably Jonah's last call to her…" [there was no call at 11:48 PM on her phone bill - AR apparently referring to the 12:50 A.M. pivotal VM - IMO the timing on that call makes a huge difference.]

Excerpts from Anne Rule "Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors."

I think the point is, if AR couldn't get the her facts right about seemingly "unimportant" information, then how can we give any credence to any "new" information provided in her book. Any reader novice to the case would be influenced and very likely come to a different conclusion if they believed, for example, that Dina responded to police knocking on her door EARLY TUESDAY morning, rather than mid afternoon Monday, 5 hours after her son's fatal accident.

"Jonah said he attempted to locate his ex-wife Dina, but he'd gotten no answers when he called her phones. He was able to reach her twin sister, Nina Romano, in San Francisco. Dina had finally responded to police knocking on her door early Tuesday and spelled Jonah in the hospital." [spelled? FHS, even typos were passed over before publishing]

"Becky's cell phone showed that a call had come in at 11:48 P.M., and that was probably Jonah's last call to her…" [there was no call at 11:48 PM on her phone bill - AR apparently referring to the 12:50 A.M. pivotal VM - IMO the timing on that call makes a huge difference.]

Now we're talking! These are not minute, insignificant details, and I will have to agree that Ann Rule made an error here regarding Dina's timing to Police knocks.

Re: Jonah's VM. I am wondering if Ann Rule was able to obtain police copies of Jonah's cellphone records. As I recall, LE had requested Jonah's cellphone records in a search warrant, did they?

I have to assume that Ann Rule obtained copies of Jonah's record in order for her to definitively state that he made the pivotal VM to Becky at 12:50am. If she did not, I am wondering why not?

Good catches, Carioca! As I've said in the past, you're a great sleuth! :rocker:

I wonder if the call was at 12:48 - doesn't help with the mistake in the book, but might have been transcribed wrong. Don't know what to say about the "early Tuesday" - that's an obvious mistake. They should have asked someone familiar with the case to look things over.

I don't see what is wrong with "spelled Jonah in the hospital"

It's an awkward sentence. "Spelled" does means to temporary relieve someone.Or are you saying the 'temporary' concept is wrong? Sorry, grammar is not always a strong point for me.

Hi Carioca, I was thinking about the time of 11:48pm given by Ann Rule.

Could it be that in Jonah's phone records, it says he called Becky's number at 11:48pm Tues, but that Jonah stated to LE he left a voicemail for Becky at 12:50am Wed?

It really would be excellent for verification purposes if we had Jonah's phone records, not only to confirm the last phone call he made to Becky, but also whether he returned Adam's text message in which Adam stated Becky "hung herself".

I wonder if the call was at 12:48 - doesn't help with the mistake in the book, but might have been transcribed wrong. Don't know what to say about the "early Tuesday" - that's an obvious mistake. They should have asked someone familiar with the case to look things over.

It's an awkward sentence. "Spelled" does means to temporary relieve someone.Or are you saying the 'temporary' concept is wrong? Sorry, grammar is not always a strong point for me.

You know, I didn't even know there was a second definition for "spell" until you mentioned it, Time! Thanks :)

Hi Carioca, I was thinking about the time of 11:48pm given by Ann Rule.

Could it be that in Jonah's phone records, it says he called Becky's number at 11:48pm Tues, but that Jonah stated to LE he left a voicemail for Becky at 12:50am Wed?

It really would be excellent for verification purposes if we had Jonah's phone records, not only to confirm the last phone call he made to Becky, but also whether he returned Adam's text message in which Adam stated Becky "hung herself".

Good question... I was having trouble with all this too and put something about it in the timeline.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8605440&postcount=67"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Rebecca and Max Timeline[/ame]

Hi time ~ "Dina [...] spelled Jonah in the hospital." First of all, if my six year old had just been admitted to the hospital in critical condition, wild horses couldn't drag me away from his bedside. I would be chained to his bed. I would be standing outside the MRI room waiting to hold his hand when he was wheeled back to his room. That's why I reject the concept that Dina "relieved" or "replaced" Jonah that very first afternoon (or morning according to AR), preferring to chalk "spelled" off as a typo or an editing glitch.

On the other hand, if "relieved" was AR's intention, then she is saying Jonah left MS's bedside when Dina arrived at RCH around 3 p.m. IMO that dramatically changes the dynamics of what was going on Monday afternoon. If it had been several days later, perhaps I personally could understand. But not that very first horrifying every-parent's-worst-nightmare moment. To be left alone and not have the emotional support any mother would expect from the father of her child would be devastating. So I question, could JS be that callous, that unfeeling? Was their relationship so contentious they couldn't be in the same room together even under the most dire of circumstances?

Hi time ~ "Dina [...] spelled Jonah in the hospital." First of all, if my six year old had just been admitted to the hospital in critical condition, wild horses couldn't drag me away from his bedside. I would be chained to his bed. I would be standing outside the MRI room waiting to hold his hand when he was wheeled back to his room. That's why I reject the concept that Dina "relieved" or "replaced" Jonah that very first afternoon (or morning according to AR), preferring to chalk "spelled" off as a typo or an editing glitch.

On the other hand, if "relieved" was AR's intention, then she is saying Jonah left MS's bedside when Dina arrived at RCH around 3 p.m. IMO that dramatically changes the dynamics of what was going on Monday afternoon. If it had been several days later, perhaps I personally could understand. But not that very first horrifying every-parent's-worst-nightmare moment. To be left alone and not have the emotional support any mother would expect from the father of her child would be devastating. So I question, could JS be that callous, that unfeeling? Was their relationship so contentious they couldn't be in the same room together even under the most dire of circumstances?

Good question about Jonah. IIRC, Dina didn't want the divorce, yet ended up hiring Gloria Allred to break the Pre-Nup, which ended up in Dina's settlement being far more generous/lucrative than it would have been otherwise. Next, we have both Jonah and Dina making multiple complaints of domestic violence against each other. Then, Jonah creates "MaxInMotion", yet does not even let Dina know about it, let alone ask her to become involved. So, I don't get the feeling that the two of them much liked each other, and likely were unable to set aside their feelings for the benefit of their only child, even as he lay in ICU in critical condition.

I tend to think AR meant spelled as in providing relief. I can't read anything really negative into this about Jonah or Dina. We used this term all the time growing up. I could see two non-nefarious reasons someone would be spelled or that Dina would spell Jonah:

1. Dina/Jonah - one of them was constantly in the room. However, everyone has reasons they may need to be away from someone's bedside occasionally whether that is to take a walk, go to the cafeteria, or run down the hall to catch a nurse, step outside to use the phone, etc

2. AR could be using the term for when one had to get some rest. I don't agree with your sensibilities that a parent would be callous to possibly leave for a couple of hours to do that with the other parent staying in the room. I also think it may have been obvious that Max was not going to wake-up.

I do not think AR was using that term in any other way except "relief".

Good question... I was having trouble with all this too and put something about it in the timeline.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Rebecca and Max Timeline

Thanks so much for posting the link. I otherwise would not have known about your discussion of this very timed phone call/voicemail of Jonah's on Tues/Wed.

Line 146 on Page 142 of 148 in Becky's AT&T phone records, there is a voicemail retrieval by someone on Becky's phone #480-677-XXXX on Wed 07/13/2011 at 12:50AM for 2mins.

So I am speculating that when Ann Rule wrote about the 11:48PM Tues phone call that Jonah made to Becky, that was the time indicated on Jonah's phone records of when he made the call and left Becky a message. And the time difference likely means that no one picked up his phone call/voicemail when Jonah called at 11:48PM but that later on at 12:50AM someone retrieved from Becky's cellphone Jonah's voicemail. This is just my hunch as I think Ann Rule likely used Jonah's phone records to confirm his call to Becky at 11:48pm.

To this day, what I find most suspicious and coincidental about the phone calls/texts is that right after Becky finishes calling/texting her sisters at 9:53PM TUES, there is a time lapse of about an hour in which Becky did not receive any phone calls/texts nor did she phone/text anyone.

And then, suddenly at 10:41PM TUES, someone using Nina's cellphone texted only once to Becky's cellphone. And that was the end of all calls/texts to and from Becky's phone on TUES until someone retrieves voicemail at 12:50AM WED on Becky's phone.

If the coincidence of Nina's single cellphone text to Becky that seems to end all calls on Becky's phone does not give off red alerts of suspicion since Becky is then found dead the following WED morning, I don't know what does.

Thanks so much for posting the link. I otherwise would not have known about your discussion of this very timed phone call/voicemail of Jonah's on Tues/Wed.

Line 146 on Page 142 of 148 in Becky's AT&T phone records, there is a voicemail retrieval by someone on Becky's phone #480-677-XXXX on Wed 07/13/2011 at 12:50AM for 2mins.

So I am speculating that when Ann Rule wrote about the 11:48PM Tues phone call that Jonah made to Becky, that was the time indicated on Jonah's phone records of when he made the call and left Becky a message. And the time difference likely means that no one picked up his phone call/voicemail when Jonah called at 11:48PM but that later on at 12:50AM someone retrieved from Becky's cellphone Jonah's voicemail. This is just my hunch as I think Ann Rule likely used Jonah's phone records to confirm his call to Becky at 11:48pm.

Oh, that's an interesting theory. Maybe Jonah thought it was 12:30 originally, so that's what we have been going on when it could have been 11:48pm per phone records? Not sure where the 12:30 am came from originally (probably on the timeline Lash made)

"Zahau's sister, Mary Zahau-Loehner, said detectives told her that Jonah Shacknai left the voicemail on Rebecca's phone around 12:30 a.m. on the morning of her death. "

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15485069/records-reveal-final-cell-phone-calls-to-rebecca-zahau

Ok, now I am thinking that Jonah originally may have told LE about 12:30, but he was off when phone records were checked? I guess there are some other possibilities we could entertain, like the detective was just in error, or ....?

Does anyone have a more direct source or a different one on the 12:30 time?

I agree that this could be what Ms. Rule is reading off of JS' phone records he could have very well made the call to RZ's phone. He could have left a voice mail. We will never know because LE waited too long to retrieve it. That fact alone should be enough to show an incompetent investigation. However, please see below:

Originally Posted by Carioca
Thank IP - now, according to AR's book, JS said he tried calling RZ at 11:48PM the night she died, but IIRC he said she didn't answer the phone. So wouldn't that 11:48PM call show up on her phone as a missed call from his number?

But since it doesn't appear on her smartphone bill, it doesn't prove one way or another if he indeed trying calling, correct? She didn't pick up, so no charge to bill. But his attempt to call would appear on his phone, even if he wasn't successful in completing the call... hung up before VC was actived? IOW, it's only his word that JS tried calling RZ at 11:48PM that night. Please correct me if wrong.

Also according to AR book, her phone was found in the hanging room with a dead battery. If the battery was dead. am wondering how that affects the alleged pivotal 12:40AM VM, the supposed motive for her self murder?

BBM: If RZ's phone was ON, it would have absolutely shown up as a missed call. It would have been for ONE MINUTE. Also BBM: There would have been a charge to RZ's bill...and his. UNLESS HER PHONE WAS OFF, then only on his. Every call you make with AT&T counts as ONE MINUTE. Perhaps that is how it's recorded, I don't know. I've spent much more time than I'd like to going over AT&T bills in minute detail to make sure the charges are correct. It also makes a difference if you are OUT OF YOUR HOME AREA (also if you have nationwide service). Which spells out the charges even more clearly.

My question here is why would her phone have been off, and only for those few hours between talking to her sister and the supposed voice mail from JS and after NR was trying to contact her? Only to be powered back up at 12:50 to check the voice mail? Does this make sense? Not to me, and here is why: RZ obviously (by her COMPLETE phone records we've seen) was attached to her phone, as most people are these days. The only way JS' call (EVEN IF SHE DIDN'T ANSWER) would have not shown up on her bill was if her phone was OFF. Why in the world would someone who depended on her phone and used it constantly turn her phone off during those very important hours?

To play devils advocate, if she had actually planned the suicide, she shut the phone off to make all of her elaborate arrangements, then before doing all of those things we know she must have done to commit suicide, she stops to check her cell phone. At 12:50 a.m. she powers her cell back up and hears the message?!?! This is where suicide excuse that "she killed herself because JS said MS wasn't going to make it" stops working. Any thoughts super sleuthers?

I agree that this could be what Ms. Rule is reading off of JS' phone records he could have very well made the call to RZ's phone. He could have left a voice mail. We will never know because LE waited too long to retrieve it. That fact alone should be enough to show an incompetent investigation. However, please see below:

Originally Posted by Carioca
Thank IP - now, according to AR's book, JS said he tried calling RZ at 11:48PM the night she died, but IIRC he said she didn't answer the phone. So wouldn't that 11:48PM call show up on her phone as a missed call from his number?

But since it doesn't appear on her smartphone bill, it doesn't prove one way or another if he indeed trying calling, correct? She didn't pick up, so no charge to bill. But his attempt to call would appear on his phone, even if he wasn't successful in completing the call... hung up before VC was actived? IOW, it's only his word that JS tried calling RZ at 11:48PM that night. Please correct me if wrong.

Also according to AR book, her phone was found in the hanging room with a dead battery. If the battery was dead. am wondering how that affects the alleged pivotal 12:40AM VM, the supposed motive for her self murder?

BBM: If RZ's phone was ON, it would have absolutely shown up as a missed call. It would have been for ONE MINUTE. Also BBM: There would have been a charge to RZ's bill...and his. UNLESS HER PHONE WAS OFF, then only on his. Every call you make with AT&T counts as ONE MINUTE. Perhaps that is how it's recorded, I don't know. I've spent much more time than I'd like to going over AT&T bills in minute detail to make sure the charges are correct. It also makes a difference if you are OUT OF YOUR HOME AREA (also if you have nationwide service). Which spells out the charges even more clearly.

My question here is why would her phone have been off, and only for those few hours between talking to her sister and the supposed voice mail from JS and after NR was trying to contact her? Only to be powered back up at 12:50 to check the voice mail? Does this make sense? Not to me, and here is why: RZ obviously (by her COMPLETE phone records we've seen) was attached to her phone, as most people are these days. The only way JS' call (EVEN IF SHE DIDN'T ANSWER) would have not shown up on her bill was if her phone was OFF. Why in the world would someone who depended on her phone and used it constantly turn her phone off during those very important hours?

To play devils advocate, if she had actually planned the suicide, she shut the phone off to make all of her elaborate arrangements, then before doing all of those things we know she must have done to commit suicide, she stops to check her cell phone. At 12:50 a.m. she powers her cell back up and hears the message?!?! This is where suicide excuse that "she killed herself because JS said MS wasn't going to make it" stops working. Any thoughts super sleuthers?

Good points!!!... I'll have to digest this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member