FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure its difficult to listen to her blame the president for things that are not in his control and yell and scream. Airing this video accomplished nothing other than ratcheting up the emotion and vitriol that much more. That isn't helping anything.

She's grieving. She is a survivor. She has direct experience of this horror. It was hard to watch for sure, but anger and grief that fuel change are surely better than the usual platitudes. And some, if not all, of the systemic failures she highlights are within the control of the President, and certainly of legislators broadly considered.

But who has access to violent games that they play day in and day out, who has access to the MONEY to buy the toys/gadgets/iphones at such young ages? Who GIVES it to them? Americans (and yes i'm one) are spoiled, greedy and disrespectful. They want it NOW or they throw a tantrum, so parents give in or don't care. Look at the violent games, the movies, the roleplay. More and more every single day. Time to start busting asses, going back to VALUES in the home and learning the word NO and using it. Take away the phones, the computer games, the online role playing and social media. Parents need to PARENT. Kids don't become this way overnight.

BBM This too happens all over the planet. I do agree with you that parents need to parent, which is likely also a global issue. But there is something within the U.S. that is glaringly different. And it's not video games/toys/gadgets, music or whatever other source of blame is being used to deflect from the obvious.

Sure its difficult to listen to her blame the president for things that are not in his control and yell and scream. Airing this video accomplished nothing other than ratcheting up the emotion and vitriol that much more. That isn't helping anything.

But he does have some control...he just doesn't want to upset his base. It should be emotional, it IS emotional and devastating. I doubt he can even be bothered with it because she's not a caucasian mother....yeah, I wrote it, let's get real about it.

And this Nation NEEDS a good "ratcheting up" instead of all this "not the right time to address this" bs.

I dont buy this white sur stuff

Really ?

he had no friends

no car

its like 16 hours round trip

gas

he worked

and he went up there to play around with machine guns for a bit

common sense says he does not have the resources to do such

I disagree. Any human capable of empathy and shame just might be moved to take action and act on behalf of the nation's children. Of course he can have an impact in this arena. To suggest otherwise is mind boggling. Any vitriol is more than warranted. The more the merrier, say I.

She's grieving. She is a survivor. She has direct experience of this horror. It was hard to watch for sure, but anger and grief that fuel change are surely better than the usual platitudes. And some, if not all, of the systemic failures she highlights are within the control of the President, and certainly of legislators broadly considered.

My dog was ran over by a car, does that make me a mechanic? Knee jerk reactions to terrible incidents is not the way to solve any problem. No one denies this is a tragedy but calm heads prevail. How many times were the authorities alerted to this guy? The school knew he was a problem, the FBI was even alerted from what I read, so many warnings and yet nothing, no one stopped this. Psychological evaluations and case worker investigations should be done on any child that has been reported to authorities and once given the all clear they should be able to return to school or they should be admitted to a psychological facility to get help. Airing a grieving mother's rant just so CNN can take a shot at President Trump is low.

CNN saying police had been called to Cruz's home for his behavior in the past. They're showing a video a neighbor sent in of the killer shooting a gun in his back yard, taken last October. Looks like he and his mom were living in a condo/town house unit. Very small patio in the back, no yard really.

ETA: it was some kind of hand gun. He wasn't really doing target practice, just randomly shooting at the ground and fence.

But who has access to violent games that they play day in and day out, who has access to the MONEY to buy the toys/gadgets/iphones at such young ages? Who GIVES it to them? Americans (and yes i'm one) are spoiled, greedy and disrespectful. They want it NOW or they throw a tantrum, so parents give in or don't care. Look at the violent games, the movies, the roleplay. More and more every single day. Time to start busting asses, going back to VALUES in the home and learning the word NO and using it. Take away the phones, the computer games, the online role playing and social media. Parents need to PARENT. Kids don't become this way overnight.

MOO, laziness on the parents' part. Of course not all parents are like that. There are still many good parents out there, have many friends who are, plus those I work with everyday.

When video games first came out in the 1970's I did not even know what they were, I only knew that some of my cousins had them. I don't ever recall knowing what these games were at the time, and most likely had no interest, either. We had no Internet either, nor social media, back in the early 1970's. I did have lots of books (reading was my #1 favorite pastime, in addition to playing outside with friends), was involved with Girl Scouts, the local Girls Club, music lessons, fairly happy and well-adjusted.

There is a book that addresses what you are talking about, Kakidoll, "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv (2008). Why spending an entire childhood on electronics is bad when so many vital areas of childhood growth are excluded. Not just spending time outside in nature but mindfulness of nature, knowing it, being familiar with it.

My dog was ran over by a car, does that make me a mechanic? Knee jerk reactions to terrible incidents is not the way to solve any problem. No one denies this is a tragedy but calm heads prevail. How many times were the authorities alerted to this guy? The school knew he was a problem, the FBI was even alerted from what I read, so many warnings and yet nothing, no one stopped this. Psychological evaluations and case worker investigations should be done on any child that has been reported to authorities and once given the all clear they should be able to return to school or they should be admitted to a psychological facility to get help. Airing a grieving mother's rant just so CNN can take a shot at President Trump is low.

Orrrrr, airing a grieving mother's "rant" is a painful but necessary exercise and attempt to get our "President" and legislators hands out of the NRAs pockets long enough to write some impactful, desperately needed legislation. Of course she's "ranting", crying out. The people who can go the farthest to stop the carnage refuse to because of money. Her child is dead largely because of the craven greed of politicians.

I disagree. Any human capable of empathy and shame just might be moved to take action and act on behalf of the nation's children. Of course he can have an impact in this arena. To suggest otherwise is mind boggling. Any vitriol is more than warranted. The more the merrier, say I.
Agreed and happy to see you!

I dont buy this white sur stuff

Really ?

he had no friends

no car

its like 16 hours round trip

gas

he worked

and he went up there to play around with machine guns for a bit

common sense says he does not have the resources to do such

A news story linked earlier in the thread said he car pooled with other members of the group.

Seems likely his mom gave him the money to buy weapons, etc. Maybe she thought it was ok, but of course it wasn't. He may have also had a part time job.

ETA: Live video of candle light vigil

https://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-1?adkey=bn

But he does have some control...he just doesn't want to upset his base. It should be emotional, it IS emotional and devastating. I doubt he can even be bothered with it because she's not a caucasian mother....yeah, I wrote it, let's get real about it.

And this Nation NEEDS a good "ratcheting up" instead of all this "not the right time to address this" bs.

Here we go, I knew someone was going to turn into a racial thing. Are you an injustice collector? Sure don't see you pointing out the white Coach sacrificing himself for his students.... Why would you even suggest it's about race? This should be offensive to everyone. A tragedy like this and now race is brought into to it?

Some teens in South Korea are so addicted to gaming, they can no longer distinguish what’s real and what’s not. Dateline follows them as they go through intense month-long digital rehab.

By Dean Cornish
Airdate: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 21:30
Channel: SBS

One in ten Korean teenagers is now addicted and it’s been described as a national crisis. One gamer stabbed his sister after playing violent games. Another killed one and injured seven others.

“I feel like the game is controlling me, and when I lose it, I lose my temper,” Chae Chan Woo tells Dateline's Dean Cornish.

He’s one of the teenagers who’s been sent to the National Centre for Youth Internet Addiction Treatment. It was set up by the Korean Government and aims to tackle problems like his before it’s too late.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/story/koreas-internet-addicts

---
I have wondered for some time about the overload effect of all our various technology on kids.

Some countries like South Korea and China consider it a public health crisis. And there are rehabs for addiction to gaming.

Orrrrr, airing a grieving mother's "rant" is a painful but necessary exercise and attempt to get our "President" and legislators hands out of the NRAs pockets long enough to write some impactful, desperately needed legislation. Of course she's "ranting", crying out. The people who can go the longest to stop the carnage refuse to because of money. Her child is dead largely because of the craven greed of politicians.

What? Her child is dead because another person decided to cause harm to them. I am not going to discuss NRA or anythingredients dealing with them because it's not supposed to be on this thread. There were several chances to stop this tragedy but no one took the reigns and did. The warning signs were there, no one acted

BBM: Seriously?!?!?! He's the guy who gave back gun rights to a proportion of the mentally ill. Let the chips fall where they may, HE signed it, HE OWNS it.
Does it apply to the shooter in this case? We will see.........

SABBM

You read that right... it's been mentioned in other places. Unbelievable !

Also the school admin. or vp who claimed he didn't know NC.
Doubtful.

People are in cya mode, yet again !!

And I am not a big fan of CNN. I have my reasons.
:moo:

BBM: Seriously?!?!?! He's the guy who gave back gun rights to a proportion of the mentally ill. Let the chips fall where they may, HE signed it, HE OWNS it.
Does it apply to the shooter in this case? We will see.........

Ok, please link to where President Trump signed anything that directly caused this? He signed what?

It confirms to me that he was adopted as an infant so however he turned out is down to whatever happened after his adoption, not before. Children from abusive backgrounds who are taken into care and adopted at 4 or 5 years old often come with a lot of baggage that can't be undone however loving the new home is. Either this man was born bad or he became bad after his adoption.

I posted that I thought he may have RAD because I was under impression he was 4 when adopted. I wonder if bio parents had any mental health issues. Although, now I am reading that he was autistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karen Simmons Guinn