FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Broward County Sheriff shares important reminder after school shooting: ‘If you see something, say something’

http://fox8.com/2018/02/14/broward-...-shooting-if-you-see-something-say-something/

The sheriff is a big advocate of 'see something, say something'. It seems the shooter was on the radar of school administrators and students at the very least. I wonder what else could have been done here, according to a link previously posted he was receiving mental health care.

When he threatened to harm students, officers should have been called, ploice reports filed and have been arrested. If this happened and they released him it falls under LE jursdication. He should have been either put in juvie or comitted. Threatening to kill/shoot others should be taken extremely seriously.

Lynda and her husband, Roger, who died many years ago, adopted Nikolas and his biological brother, Zachary, after the couple moved from Long Island to Broward County.

Another relative, who spoke on condition of anonymity over the sensitive matter, said Nikolas had been diagnosed with autism.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...g/fl-school-shooting-cruz-20180214-story.html

Lynda, who died of pneumonia, adopted Nikolas the day he was born.

Lynda died in November 2017 and Roger died in August 2004. They were married in July 2002, according to records.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nat...474091493.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Not that it matters, but either she adopted him before she met Roger or he was adopted before they married. I question everything being said by family that weren't that close with/haven't seen them/him since they left NY. jmo

He is following in the footsteps of The Columbine attack.

Not really. Columbine shooters placed bombs in the cafeteria. Their plan was that many people would die in the initial blast, and then they would shoot as many as they could who were running from the building. And *then* the bombs in their cars were supposed to explode, killing more students as well as any first responders who had arrived on scene.

I wanted to edit my orginial comment, but cannot for some reason. Jonestown Massacre.

When he threatened to harm students, officers should have been called, ploice reports filed and have been arrested. If this happened and they released him it falls under LE jursdication. He should have been either put in juvie or comitted. Threatening to kill/shoot others should be taken extremely seriously.

They said, on Fox this morning, that someone saw his postings and DID report it to the FBI.

What happened in America, is "they" took God and prayer out of the schools.

Or it could be the one thing that some law makers studiously avoided mentioning yesterday. Hmm I wonder what it could be.
Scratching heads...how did this happen.They seem perplexed. Sad

Jamie Guttenburg age 17 and Aaron Fies assistant football coach first two identified in shooting.

What happened in America, is "they" took God and prayer out of the schools.

Not everyone shares the same beliefs and you can't force that on people. No. AMERICA has a toxic relationship with masculinity and toughness.

Formal training protocol is: run, hide, fight (in that order).

It’s sad that companies must do mandatory Active Shooter training now...

I think running/hiding is a bad idea. It's proven over and over to fail. People need to learn how to use "power in numbers."

They said, on Fox this morning, that someone saw his postings and DID report it to the FBI.

I heard an interview on CNN with that person. He said the FBI came by twice,the last time very recently. They were trying to identify the poster, but couldn't.

I wonder how this person was able to finally identify him?

Two LE are now being interviewed on this on CNN. One says there are so many cases of people making these threats on social media. It was done on YouTube. Can the SM web sites do more?

He lived with a person designated by his mother and then asked to live with a friend in North Broward. The North Broward family had let him. The Sentinel has an article that talks about his life.

No gun talk, I promise. Mental illness, students lacking resilience and an unwillingness /inability of schools to create real interventions rather than just looking at least restrictive environments and interventions --these are the real and salient issues. How much mental health options did he and his family have access to or was court ordered? The lack of services is critical for young people on the margins. The systems need money and skilled professionals to create real systems to identify, intervene, and construct safe environments for these young people.

How did people around him miss the signs? Same as what happened with Adam Lanza---strange behavior is strange until it is normalized by over exposure. He was off but no one was constant enough in his life to see or understand his slide into more concerning behavior. People did not stick around long enough to see how scary he was. Relatives mention meeting him once in 18 years. Jumped from school to school. Had people who accepted his oddities and left him alone or ran from him.

These actions by him and others might be lessened with "see something, say something" but more and more kids need/require/are begging for systems to be put in place to give them a shot at becoming more mentally healthy.

Close to home. Unceasingly familiar. Freaking predictable.

Tonight there are families who have to do the grim task of identifying their loved one, their child. Lives are ruined.

There are videos on the internet that students shot as they sat in the room with dead peers and teachers. Lives are ruined.

This gunman had a brother who is not only orphaned but alone in this world, who is horribly affected by the lack of help and care his brother received. His life is also ruined.

The rest of us have to decide when it is time to act---stand up---make change--- and own actions and inactions of ourselves and our elected officials as it pertains to mental health and interventions for those who ultimately ruin their own and others' lives.

I highly doubt anyone close to him missed the red flags, but just didn't know what to do.

I like that, don’t want a wimpy sissy man.

People can like masculine men all they ****ing want. Maybe we should stop shaming men who aren't big beefy tough guys, eh? Maybe we should let people be who they are instead of imposing our own ideas of perfection on other people. What a concept.

Any information as to what country NC was born in? Curious because of the “k” in his name. Possibility of maternal drug abuse while pregnant causing brain damage.

I don't care, if 1 person can't handle the job, have 2/3/4..... They are supposed to be on top off all issues that happen in a school district. To say he had never heard of this guy is as far as i'm concerned a freaking lie. IMO

Unless the SD didn't report it to him. That seems odd, but possible. Otherwise, it sounds CYA mode for the Super.

People can like masculine men all they ****ing want. Maybe we should stop shaming men who aren't big beefy tough guys, eh? Maybe we should let people be who they are instead of imposing our own ideas of perfection on other people. What a concept.

Agree, I don't see how glorifying young men who like violence is helping anything, given the problems we have with violent crime, partner abuse, etc. in this country. Maybe it's time to start glorifying the kind, considerate, non-violent young people.

Dating Abuse Statistics

http://www.loveisrespect.org/resources/dating-violence-statistics/

Nearly 1.5 million high school students nationwide experience physical abuse from a dating partner in a single year.

One in three adolescents in the U.S. is a victim of physical, sexual, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner, a figure that far exceeds rates of other types of youth violence.

One in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.

CNN reporter said they are hearing reports of shots fired at a Broward North school. Trying to confirm and hoping it’s false.

CNN: AG Jeff Sessions addressing FL school shooting. President to speak shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18