FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing on the newly 'found' life jackets. .. Originally the family for a few days couldn't even say how many were missing. After following the public posts on the public fb page, I really question the helicopter company finding them. This was the same man and wife, who was publicly complaining that they haven't been reimbursed for their fuel costs. I just thought any legit company wouldn't put everything they see or find on fb. Just my opinion, but wih all the drama it seems odd to me that this particular company would be the one to find anything. The wife was booted from the main fb page, so I always am a doubting Thomas when this happens. It reminds me of the dog guy in the Ember Graham case.

What is the story about why, after finding those Life Jackets, that company stopped searching, and (I believe) said that they would no longer be making Public Comments? I thought that I had read that they received a ton of public criticism, but never heard the reason?

What is the story about why, after finding those Life Jackets, that company stopped searching, and (I believe) said that they would no longer be making Public Comments? I thought that I had read that they received a ton of public criticism, but never heard the reason?

I can't keep up with it all, but I did see the initial find, and suddenly everyone commenting to give positive feedback on the helicopter company's webpage. I still question the reality that two people would be able to float for over a week, two states away, with no food or water, and survive. I want so bad to be proven wrong, but I can't see it happening. Sometimes the answer to prayers is 'No', as my granny used to tell me.

On fox 13 news this morning Heli Aviation said the cost of fuel was too much to continue and would contine if fuel costs were covered.

2015 Shark attack bites Tracking Map - Tracking Sharks
www.trackingsharks.com/2015-shark-attack-bites-tracking-map/
However, as you see in the map below shark bites and attacks are not that common. If you notice the most shark bites are clustered on the Eastern coast of ...

Florida tops the charts **for the world** in shark attacks--very close to where the boys were lost at sea

I believe on the FB page ppl were calling them frauds. but truth is they cant cover the fuel costs.

2015 Shark attack bites Tracking Map - Tracking Sharks
www.trackingsharks.com/2015-shark-attack-bites-tracking-map/
However, as you see in the map below shark bites and attacks are not that common. If you notice the most shark bites are clustered on the Eastern coast of ...

Florida tops the charts **for the world** in shark attacks--very close to where the boys were lost at sea

Yes New Smyrna beach is one!
1. New Smyrna Beach, Florida: Home to an astounding 238 attacks, this Florida beach consistently records more shark attacks than any other beach. However, despite that alarming number, there has yet to be a fatal attack. Most of the bites are from young bull sharks nibbling for what they think is food. New Smyrna Beach is part of Volusia County, Florida. A very popular beach, many claim that the reason the number of attacks is so high is simply because the number of people in the water on any given day is so high as well. Fishermen, swimmers and surfers flock to the beach whenever they get the chance and never seem deterred by reported attacks.

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/10-shark-attack-beaches/

Then you would probably drown from being panicked long before a shark bit you. Yeah, people get killed by sharks but do the math for how many people are in the water vs shark deaths. I had a friend that spent the night drifting in the ocean after the boat that was following him while diving lost him. He had things bumping into him during the night. Coast Guard finally found him alive and well. I have taken my daughter and her friends to swim with dolphins to same spot a person was bit by a shark while swimming with dolphins. Sharks are least of your problems, forget the movie Jaws and Robert Shaw's account of the Indianapolis with all the dead bodies in the ocean. While based on true events that particular scene was written by John Milius (Apocalypse Now) for his friend, Steven for maximum impact.

If they were lucky, the kids probably only got a chance to grab at a vest when the boat rolled. If they held onto it, think about how hard it would be to secure it to your body while in the water. Your face is inches from the surface with white water dumping on you.

Don't die before the shark bites you...

[video=youtu;RMMU6sJhnFM]http://youtu.be/RMMU6sJhnFM[/video]

Ummm...Koa....look up the latest stats for shark attacks in Florida during the last couple of years, please. It is insane how many & the numbers are climbing overall for the Eastern Seaboard of the US, especially FL.
Scientists are taking interest..

On fox 13 news this morning Heli Aviation said the cost of fuel was too much to continue and would contine if fuel costs were covered.

I think there is a lot of confusion about the process of reimbursement to volunteers from the $475,000 raised for that very purpose. It seems that people responded to the call for help with an understanding that fuel costs would be funded by the families through that account, but the reimbursement process is not in place.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stori...austinandperry-********-shut-down-28106.shtml

Let's not even mention the record number of attacks in NC coasts this year. Just yesterday, a 13 ft tiger shark was caught off SC.

Ummm...Koa....look up the latest stats for shark attacks in Florida during the last couple of years, please. It is insane how many & the numbers are climbing overall for the Eastern Seaboard of the US, especially FL.

I live on the gulf coast... on our beaches we collect sharks teeth the water temps this summer have been up to the 90 degree mark its like bath water. We see sharks mosly hammer heads off the fishing pier and the restraunts are named fins and sharkys.

Heli Aviation has noted on Facebook they have withdrawn from the search for the two boys "due to the lack of communication between SAR and the constant negative publicity." The company was under fire for setting up a "********" account to fund their search for the two boys. People were unhappy with this as they believed the aviation school was capitalizing off of the missing teens.

http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/sara...cle_8a18d31a-3b7a-11e5-910e-a3d9f712b853.html

Yes New Smyrna beach is one!
1. New Smyrna Beach, Florida: Home to an astounding 238 attacks, this Florida beach consistently records more shark attacks than any other beach. However, despite that alarming number, there has yet to be a fatal attack. Most of the bites are from young bull sharks nibbling for what they think is food. New Smyrna Beach is part of Volusia County, Florida. A very popular beach, many claim that the reason the number of attacks is so high is simply because the number of people in the water on any given day is so high as well. Fishermen, swimmers and surfers flock to the beach whenever they get the chance and never seem deterred by reported attacks.

http://www.theinertia.com/surf/10-shark-attack-beaches/

Yes, your link above shows the beaches that have the most shark attacks in the world----look at #1 and #2. Yep!
As an aside, the Carolina's have had a higher incidence of shark attacks this year so far too.

I live on the gulf coast... on our beaches we collect sharks teeth the water temps this summer have been up to the 90 degree mark its like bath water. We see sharks mosly hammer heads off the fishing pier and the restraunts are named fins and sharkys.
I lived in Punta Gorda, and would kayak. It wasn't uncommon to see hammerheads larger than my kayak when out in Boca Grande Pass, so I know what you mean!

I had seen their original post/offer on the FB page, where they offered their flight services to search but would do so only if they could be reimbursed for the fuel as they were a small company and simply could not afford to foot the bill for the fuel. I also saw posts from them where they had apparently contacted whomever it was they were supposed to, to arrange for reimbursement for fuel as they, at that point, had spent $6000 in fuel (and posted a screenshot of the fuel bill to prove it), were told the reimbursement would be sent to them in an hour, yet it never came.

I had seen their original post/offer on the FB page, where they offered their flight services to search but would do so only if they could be reimbursed for the fuel as they were a small company and simply could not afford to foot the bill for the fuel. I also saw posts from them where they had apparently contacted whomever it was they were supposed to, to arrange for reimbursement for fuel as they, at that point, had spent $6000 in fuel (and posted a screenshot of the fuel bill to prove it), were told the reimbursement would be sent to them in an hour, yet it never came.

I saw that also!

I saw that also!

Hypothetically speaking, I'd like to know how much money, if any, the families have put out of their own pockets towards the search. These are not low-income or even middle income families. You've got neighbor Joe Namath offering a $100,000 reward right off the bat for their safe return, you've got John Travolta providing free use of one of his private planes to assist with the search, you've got nearly $500,000 raise via G.F.M. and now further donations will be going to a bank acct.

I hate to say it but as someone who's been on WS for a few years now, following heartbreaking cases of missing children and loved ones, I find it somewhat disheartening that some cases seem to get immediate national attention and money pouring in, celebs willing to help.....and a half million dollars get raised in a week.......yet other cases, often times the missing children/parents/families are of very meager financial status and their loved one's case gets little to no air time, little to no social media interest, few if any financial donations and that just really bothers me.

I live 15 mins from Boca Grande and its my fav beach. But it has had its share of shark attacks .

I live 15 mins from Boca Grande and its my fav beach. But it has had its share of shark attacks .

O/t but Boca is so worth the drawbridge fee to get there. I also lived in Englewood.

Don't buy into media hype on shark attacks...the chances of an attack are still insanely low. If you feel otherwise, you should go buy a lottery ticket tonight! There are thousands upon thousands of people in Florida waters daily...to the tune of around 30-40 million per year is what I last read somewhere. Even if we had 100 shark attacks in a year, I'd still not consider it a real threat. Even then, fatality rates are even lower from attacks.

There will always be anomalies in any kind of activity (shark attack deaths, lightning strike deaths, vending machine deaths, etc) that makes headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove