GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
God bless you, darlin'. I'm so tired, me and Kelly worked a new case last night for Shalyn Carabello. She's only 14, we just have to find her.

Thank you so much for caring for the missing, Kool Look.

Love to you, Lanie

Well, the housemate's website is down now, but the message board is still out there. Wonder if AOL had complaints?

This is just the beginning of a real eye opener of an article, its worth the long read, at the end it states the same day Smith killed Carlie his wife asked for a divorce and he went "ballistic". No kidding.:

Smith's Life Filled With Many Chances

Joseph Smith's life was like any drug addict's until he was accused of killing Carlie Brucia.

Joseph P. Smith squandered every opportunity he got.

He fumbled through life in Sarasota, crossing in and out of a drug-induced haze that cost him job after job and ultimately the trust of those who tried to help him.

He managed to avoid heroin and cocaine for short periods, long enough to start a business and make friends. At these moments, the people around him must have felt vindicated. Maybe this time, their support would pay off.

It never did. Time and again, he went back to the drugs.

His roller-coaster life looked like any drug addict's to the probation officers, attorneys and judges who handled his cases. Yes, he had problems. But he showed potential as well.

So there they were on the sidelines, urging Smith on, repeatedly giving him one more chance to clean up his life.

Nobody wondered if Smith had been given one chance too many until he was charged with abducting and killing 11-year-old Carlie Brucia. She was abducted Feb. 1 as she walked home from a friend's house. Her body was found four days later, about three miles from where she was taken.

[url]http://gainesvillesun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040216/LOCAL/202160313/1007[/url]

For $800 per hour, the Pincuses send two young women in kinky outfits -- cheerleaders, catholic schoolgirls, American Indians -- to the client's house to punch, scratch and bite each other, according to the Web site, which also sells videos of the girls fighting. The Web site tells clients the girls don't pose nude. It says, "I started this business for the girlz and to keep them from going astray. I love them all and I hope you do too!!"

...what the hell is wrong with these people??? geeez! is it me? or does anyone else out there think this is freekin' wEiRd!? how can people get away with this crap???

I just wanted to thank all you great sleuthers for keeping us updated and enlightening our minds with all the info posted on this thread. It's very informative and news worthy. Too many of you to call out names, but thank you, thank you.

Right back at ya Kool. You've been Rockin'!!! :angel:

SARASOTA, Fla. — By the time an Amber Alert was issued for 11-year-old Carlie Brucia, a full day had passed since the moment she was led away by a dark-haired stranger in an abduction that was videotaped by a security camera.

The alert on Feb. 2 caught the public's attention and is being credited with helping lead detectives to a suspect, Joseph P. Smith. But Carlie's body was found several days later, and now the alert system is under scrutiny for the ways it is used and the timing of its implementation...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,111591,00.html

as a response to indigomood, I some what agree, however I believe the amber alert is a very good tool for the public, and may still have some bugs in it to work out. the sad out come for this child was most likely done within the first 3 hours after her abduction, so I personally don't think a amber alert would have saved this child from this man that was out of control and full of a hateful rage which was triggered by his wife throwing him out of the house and wanting a divorce. too bad that this poor child ended up in the path of this monster, I feel that had it not been her he would have still done this to another person so sad... the expressed above is just my opinion and is in no way intended to offend those that read my post...

This is sad:

Two Funeral Services for Carlie
(Article includes beautiful baby picture of her and a poem).

Two private memorial services started almost simultaneously Saturday morning, 1,200 miles apart, to honor the life of Carlie Brucia.

One service began around 11 a.m. at St. Barnabas Church on Long Island in New York, the other around 12:30 p.m. at Palms Funeral Home and Memorial Park in Sarasota.

In life, Carlie split her time between the two cities with her divorced parents. In death, her cremated remains will be forever divided between the place of her birth and the one where her short life ended.

The funeral in Sarasota was supposed to be an intimate event, announced only at the last minute for close family and a few friends, but about 125 showed up to say goodbye. Family friends said Carlie's closed casket was surrounded by pictures and posters of her life.

The funeral was scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday, but it was delayed for an hour and a half while those gathered waited for Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, to appear. She never arrived.
. . .

[url="http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/7977116.htm"]http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/7977116.htm[/url]

I hope Carlie's Mom is getting the psychological support she needs, that any of us would need, I hope she has insurance or a Professional in this area (grieving) will take the family on Pro-Bono, she has a 6 year old to raise too.

Oh Mindy, I cried when I read your post about the 2 services. Carlie's baby picture. Gee, it really isn't fair. Just isn't. I too hope her mom is getting all the support she will need and will be open to accepting it. Carlieslovingfriend is posting over there at the findcarlie site maybe we can ask her.

Indigomood, you can vent anytime. No there's not closure, no there's not acceptance, there's just acknowledgement. That's all you can count me in for. I acknowledge Carlie was taken and killed and her life was far more precious than diamonds or rubies. I acknowledge that period.

Solo, if you're reading this thread, will you tell us a little more, about the call you received? That thread seems to be now closed.

That must not have been Smith coming out of the ladies' room, as they would have him on tape if they called you and maybe it would have been announced, like the possible sighting at Kissimmee. Mind telling us what they said?

I read that Kissimee is about 100 miles from Sarasota. By way of I-275?
Some man saw a man and a girl scuffling, and they had a green car.

Since they aren't telling how she was killed, do you suppose it could have been a satanic ritual, he was delivering her to, in order to get money to support his habit? Just wondering. Part of the deal was that he had to take all the blame, and maybe death penalty, if caught?

:waitasec:

Solo Flyer, was your rest stop on the way to Kissimmee by any chance?

If so, do you remember that a guy said a man with a green car was scuffling with a girl, in, I think, a park? I read since then that it's about 100 miles from Sarasota, which would account for 2/3 of the mileage Pincus claimed Smith put on the car.

I suppose there's a trial reason they're not telling us how she was killed, but "what if" he was delivering her to someone for a satanic ritual? Naturally I hope not, just trying to stir up more interest before we all get tempted to move on to the new cases. There's something about this one,imo. :liar:

...just heard this evening on the news ont he way home from work that authorities have revealed how Carlie died: she was raped and then strangled. :(

femepetite said:
...just heard this evening on the news ont he way home from work that authorities have revealed how Carlie died: she was raped and then strangled. :(

I figured that. I'm so angry right now. But my anger can't fight for her life. Eleven years old, never having had relations with a man, oh what must have been going through her unaware mind.

How can anyone, even a hardened drug criminal, truly not stop what their doing when the cries from Carlie obviously were there during the assault. I think we should start teaching our children defensive fighting in school. Life saving techniques. It should be mandatory before even reading, writing and arithmatic. You won't need those if your dead.

We need to smarten up our children very early on. It's not a kids world. Never has been. A parent can graduate from high school and college and never have changed a diaper. I was one. But you must attend over a year of instruction to become a hair stylist and be licensed. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Have they executed Polly Klaas' killer yet? I don't believe Joseph will be living much longer.

Just went to www.crimenews2000.com 2 new articles posted. First one states a 12 person jury has indicted Joseph Smith for the rape and strangulation of Carlie. The second article goes into more details. Carlie's death was described as ligature strangulation and rape. They believe they have the murder weapon.

The second article also gives more details from the family and LE. Both Carlie's fathers, have asked for the death penalty and the second article clears up LE is seeking the death penalty. Some more details stated to.

Teddy bears and gifts fill Carlie's home from outsiders. The clerk of court was observed crying as she copied the indictments.

We now have 2 abductions documented during the actual commission of the crime. Dru's and Carlie's. Dru was on cell phone call during her and Carlie's was videotaped. Hope LE and people will learn from these 2 abductions as technology is helping pave the way to educate us.

Would more stronger resistance have saved Dru and Carlie? At the very beginning? I believe it possibly could have. Don't know. My personal opionion after hearing and seeing these abductions, I tend to believe so.
This opinion of course won't help them now, but maybe someone else. FIGHT!

Thanks Kool for the update, just when you think there won't be any more news. I found an article, I'm just gonna copy it all here:

Details of abduction, slaying emerge
An indictment of Joseph P. Smith confirms that Carlie Brucia was sexually assaulted and strangled.

By MIKE SAEWITZ
mike.saewitz@heraldtribune.com

SARASOTA COUNTY -- Joseph P. Smith raped and strangled 11-year- old Carlie Brucia after kidnapping her from behind a car wash, according to a grand jury indictment filed in court Friday.

The indictment is the first information released by authorities to explain what happened to the sixth-grader whose Feb. 1 abduction was captured by a surveillance camera behind Evie's Car Wash on Bee Ridge Road.

Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, said she retreated to her bedroom when she heard the news.

"I screamed and I screamed," Schorpen said. "It was all I could do."

The indictment is one of the first steps as prosecutors seek the death penalty for Smith, an auto mechanic with a history of drug arrests. A resident of Sarasota since 1993, he had been accused of two attacks on women before Carlie's disappearance.

"I don't think the lethal injection is enough for that man," Schorpen said.

Carlie's father, Joe Brucia, has also called for the death penalty for Smith, as has Carlie's stepfather, Steve Kansler.

The indictment says Smith strangled the girl with an object wrapped around or pressed against her neck. She died Feb. 1 or Feb. 2.

Smith is charged with first-degree murder, rape of a child less than 12 years old, and kidnapping.

The document doesn't indicate what evidence the authorities have against Smith, or whether he has given a statement to investigators.

Smith's public defender, Adam Tebrugge, said his client will plead not guilty.

"We will thoroughly investigate the case and vigorously defend Mr. Joseph Smith," Tebrugge said.

Sheriff Bill Balkwill said there is no connection between Smith and Carlie's family.

The surveillance video shows the girl was abducted at 6:21 p.m. on Super Bowl Sunday. The car wash was closed, and Carlie crossed behind it while walking home from a friend's house.

The car wash owner, Mike Evanoff, gave the tape to deputies the following day, leading them to call for an Amber Alert as they searched for Carlie.

The video was shown on every major news broadcast in the United States, riveting thousands of people to every development in the daily search for the girl and her abductor.

Several tips to a telephone hot line led deputies to suspect Smith. They arrested him Feb. 3 on a violation of probation charge after officers found drugs in his car, sheriff's reports say.

Initially, Smith refused to talk to investigators.

His mother and brother visited him in jail two days after his arrest, along with sheriff's detectives and his public defenders, a source said.

According to sheriff's reports, while Smith was in jail he told someone he'd taken the girl. That person called deputies and told them where to look for her body.

They found Carlie's body later that night, in the woods behind a church on Proctor Road. It had been four days since her abduction.

Smith's arraignment is scheduled for March 12. He is being held in isolation at the Manatee County jail.

Despite a dozen past arrests and as many probation violations, Smith has served just one prison sentence -- 13 months for drug possession and probation violations.

Drug tests showed he'd violated his probation in August by using cocaine, but Smith was sentenced to drug treatment instead of jail time.

As the state Legislature convenes next week, lawmakers from a Senate committee plan to hold a hearing to determine whether Smith's case exposed flaws in the justice system.

Carlie's parents say they've been overwhelmed by the sympathy expressed by people from Sarasota and across the nation. Her room at her mother's house is full of teddy bears and stuffed animals left by visitors at a makeshift memorial outside.

The emotion continued Friday. A clerk held back tears as she copied Smith's grand jury indictment at the courthouse.

Schorpen cried for hours at her McIntosh Road home.

"I had a beautiful, compassionate, responsible little girl and he took her away," she said. "When she was little, she'd make up a song and start singing it in the grocery store at the top of her lungs. If she felt like dancing, she danced. She'd wave to people in the car and make funny faces. She was a typical, beautiful preteen girl."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back