FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...er-where-man-was-killed-in-cell-phone/2314380
Judge, attorneys visit Pasco theater where man was killed in cell phone dispute
[Last modified: Friday, February 24, 2017 6:25pm]
[…]
Dr. Vernard Adams, a former chief medical examiner for Hillsborough County, testified as an expert witness about the injuries that the Oulsons and Reeves suffered the day of the shooting.
Early in his testimony, the defense displayed photographs of Oulson's chest. A red, triangular gunshot wound marked the area over his heart.
[…]
The doctor estimated that Chad Oulson's right hand, which was grazed by the bullet, was about 10 inches from Reeves' gun when the gun shot was fired.
He described how the bullet swept over Chad Oulson's right wrist before slicing open Nicole Oulson's left ring finger. It broke through Chad Oulson's chest, penetrated his heart and stopped in his right lung.
[…]

I probably won't be here until mid-afternoon. Hoping I can finagle my schedule to be here tomorrow for Reeves' testimony.

live-stream and live-blog:
http://live.tampabay.com/Event/Curtis_Reeve_Stand_Your_Ground_Case

Expecting 3 witnesses today. Fiest is Detective Aaron Smith (lead crime scene detective.). Judge says they will work late if not done by 5 pm. Expect 7 people to testify on Wednesday, two on Thursday.

Det. Smith first interviewed Vivian Reeves, no recorder. (he had one in his car)

- -
@TimesDan

Court document: B/t 1 and 1:30 p.m. on day of shooting, Oulson looked at Facebook on his phone, had a missed call and voicemail, but no text

Fun fact: before hearing began last week, both sides agreed to fact that Chad Oulson did not send any texts before the shooting happened.

Dan Sullivan
@TimesDan

Martin asks if Smith would expect Reeves to understand factors permitting deadly force, given background as a cop. Smith says yes.

On the stand this afternoon is Michael Knox, crime scene reconstruction expert witness for defense. Many objections from State; judge seems aggravated today.

Knox still on stand.

About 1 ft. 7 inches from Reeves' armrest to back of seat in front of him; diagonal measurement 3-feet, 8-inches from back of Oulson's row to wall behind Reeves' seat.; about 3-feet of distance between back of Oulson's seat and back rest of Reeves' chair; armrest about 2 ft. off ground. (measurements from evidence photos).

We learn gun is Kel-Tec pistol, .380 caliber., very small in size, to be carried in clothing pocket, designed not to snag clothing). Lead-jacketed bullets are designed not to go completely through objects, so as not to harm people or objects that could be on the other side. Bullets expand rapidly and slow down when they make contact with an object.

Knox says based on marks on marks on Oulson's body, ballistics report, he estimates gun was about 12 inches from Oulson's hand when fired.

Using two mannequins to depict the scene.

From tweets: Dan Sullivan @TimesDan
-Knox says popcorn was thrown about 1.2 seconds before gun shot was fired.
-Knox says if you look at timing of video, it indicates decision to shoot was made before popcorn was thrown.
-
Escobar says Martin keeps objecting because he wants to disrupt direct examination. Martin: "I'm not a potted plant." [there have been numerous objections from Prosecutor Martin; contentiousness all day]

Dan Abrams is showing this trial on his new trial streaming venture- started today I think. Looks like he will pick cases to stream live then replay them at night from what i read. Wonder what's new about it? I thought he already did this LOL. Anyway this trial is one of his two that he is streaming live this week.

Dan Abrams began his career as a legal commentator for Court TV covering everything from OJ Simpson trial to the International War Crimes Tribunal at The Hague. Currently the Chief Legal Analyst for ABC News, Dan previously hosted numerous legal shows on MSNBC, was the long time Chief Legal Correspondent for NBC News and hosted Chasing Justice on Discovery ID. LawNewz.com will now bring to the web his vast experience covering the biggest legal and criminal cases in America.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/watch-live-curtis-reeves-stand-your-ground-hearing-day-6/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judge says she has reached the limit of her listening powers. :judge: Poor thing has had a really rough day.

Thanks for adding tweets, SeesSeas!!

Not even Mrs. Reeves reported seeing him get hit by a cell phone.

Josh Solomon
@Josh_Solomon15

One thing detectives noted in their meeting was that no one saw Reeves get hit. Escobar asks if that was surprising given it was dark

More importantly, during Mrs. Reeves' interview with Det. Alan Proctor, he specifically asked her whether she saw any evidence of an injury to her husband's face or eye -- which Curtis Reeves claimed he sustained as a result of the impact from the cell phone when he was hit with it. She said that she saw no sign of an injury. I think she may have testified to this in the first hearing (the bail/bond hearing).

I also remember in the audio interview of Curtis Reeves by Det. Proctor, Reeves references his eye having been injured during the confrontation with Oulson. Det. Proctor seems to take a look at it while Reeves is in his squad car and proclaims to Reeves that he sees no injury.

Very much appreciate the excellent commentary by Spellbound and SeesSeas! Thanks for keeping us in the loop on this hearing.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...o-question-thoroughness-of-detectives/2314662
Reeves' attorneys continue to question thoroughness of detectives' investigation
Monday, February 27, 2017
Reeves, a 74-year-old retired Tampa police captain, faces a second-degree murder charge for shooting Chad Oulson, 43. He has invoked Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law, claiming he shot in self defense.
[…]
Michael Knox, a crime scene reconstruction expert. . . […]
Knox also discussed reaction time, and concluded Reeves likely decided to fire his weapon when Oulson's hand first appears in video grabbing Reeves' popcorn, not when Oulson shoved the popcorn back into Reeves' body. The shot occurred 1.5 seconds after Oulson first reached, Knox said, making it unlikely Reeves could have waited any longer to decide to shoot.

Hello alexwood, and thanks for stopping by and adding a bit to the discussion. I believe when Mrs. Reeves took the stand during this hearing she said she saw redness on/in his eye ... and pointed it out on a photo (was not obvious at all). This hearing is a thorough as a trial!

Mr. Reeves is expected to take the stand today.

Livestream and live "twitter" at 9 am EST: http://live.tampabay.com/Event/Curtis_Reeve_Stand_Your_Ground_Case

As a former police officer, I believe Mr. Reeves knew enough to diffuse a situation or remove oneself from the area. Since he chose to stay in that particular seat behind Mr. Oulsen and was prepared to shoot within 1.5 seconds of Mr. O standing up, that implies to me he had already made up his mind to shoot instead of change seats. "preplanned"?

Hello alexwood, and thanks for stopping by and adding a bit to the discussion. I believe when Mrs. Reeves took the stand during this hearing she said she saw redness on/in his eye ... and pointed it out on a photo (was not obvious at all). This hearing is a thorough as a trial!

Mr. Reeves is expected to take the stand today.

Livestream and live "twitter" at 9 am EST: http://live.tampabay.com/Event/Curtis_Reeve_Stand_Your_Ground_Case

Thanks, Spellbound. That seems to differ from her testimony in the 2014 bond hearing, when she said she saw no injury! She only said that CR told her that he had been hit by something.

I can't wait to compare Reeves' testimony and his demeanor in this hearing vs. the recorded interview with Det. Proctor at the time of his arrest.

As a former police officer, I believe Mr. Reeves knew enough to diffuse a situation or remove oneself from the area. Since he chose to stay in that particular seat behind Mr. Oulsen and was prepared to shoot within 1.5 seconds of Mr. O standing up, that implies to me he had already made up his mind to shoot instead of change seats. "preplanned"?

That's what I think. He went into that theater on Jan. 13, 2014, "Loaded for Bear." He came prepared, should he get an opportunity to use his "pocket pistol."

I think he's a control freak, a hothead and a bully. He commented in his interview with Det. Proctor about the ammo for his Kel-Tec pistol: "That's some good stuff!"

Yes… bully cop wanting a fight; no desire to diffuse. His wife wanted to move to different seats.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...-manager-describes-moments-before-and/2314117
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
[…]
Vivian Reeves, at times emotional, described how she and her husband had entered the theater that day, bought popcorn, visited the restroom and found seats in theater 10. . .
[…]
Curtis Reeves went to talk to management. Vivian Reeves suggested they just move seats, she said, but he continued. Video shows Reeves waiting with his elbows on the counter at the guest services desk.
[…]
In a previous court hearing, an off-duty deputy who was in the theater and secured Reeves' weapon after the shooting testified he heard Vivian Reeves tell her husband, "that was no cause to shoot anyone." The deputy also said he heard Reeves respond, pointing a finger at his wife, "You shut your f- - - - - - mouth and don't say another word."
In court Wednesday, Vivian Reeves denied that either of those things were said.
[…]

Yes… bully cop wanting a fight; no desire to diffuse. His wife wanted to move to different seats.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...-manager-describes-moments-before-and/2314117
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
[…]
Vivian Reeves, at times emotional, described how she and her husband had entered the theater that day, bought popcorn, visited the restroom and found seats in theater 10. . .
[…]
Curtis Reeves went to talk to management. Vivian Reeves suggested they just move seats, she said, but he continued. Video shows Reeves waiting with his elbows on the counter at the guest services desk.
[…]
In a previous court hearing, an off-duty deputy who was in the theater and secured Reeves' weapon after the shooting testified he heard Vivian Reeves tell her husband, "that was no cause to shoot anyone." The deputy also said he heard Reeves respond, pointing a finger at his wife, "You shut your f- - - - - - mouth and don't say another word."
In court Wednesday, Vivian Reeves denied that either of those things were said.
[…]

YES! Thank you, SeesSeas!!! I was so afraid that they would not allow this part of CPL Hamilton's testimony in for this hearing. Escobar seemed to be absolutely OUTRAGED by this statement when it came out in the first (bond) hearing! So telling. I think Reeves probably intimidated his poor wife throughout their 50 years of marriage.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme
Back