FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

I’m leaving my computer now, so won’t be available to watch Reeves’ testimony this afternoon.
I’ll plan to watch the replay on this link provided by yupikgirl -
http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/watch-live-curtis-reeves-stand-your-ground-hearing-day-7/
http://lawnewz.com/tag/curtis-reeves/

thanks for the links! I may have to watch it later this evening, too --- was worried I would not find it.

As always, thanks for helping out this morning. I will try to post interesting updates as I can, but will be here only sporadically.

Court took an early lunch. and will resume 12:30 pm . Curtis Reeves is expected to take the stand then.

from Staff writer, Dan Sullivan: http://live.tampabay.com/Event/Curtis_Reeve_Stand_Your_Ground_Case

Before Reeves’ scheduled testimony, the court heard Tuesday morning from Philip Hayden, a former FBI agent and use-of-force expert. He testified about research he had done at the request of Reeves’ defense attorneys. It included a visit to theater No. 10 at the Cobb Grove 16 cinemas in Wesley Chapel.

Hayden sat in the same seats used by Reeves and Oulson, moved in various positions, and tested whether he could reach from Oulson’s seat, to the row behind it, where Reeves sat.

He also discussed an interview he conducted with Reeves.

“My opinion is that he believed there was going to be imminent harm or danger to him, great bodily harm, or he could be killed,” Hayden said.

Reeves is going through his family info and how he became a police officer in Tampa.

Well, I do have to say that so far he acts and sounds much kinder than I expected.

darn ... I refreshed my livestream on ipad and I cannot get it back! Of all times for this to happen ... it says "event not found" (still playijg on my PC and I am afraid to touch it.... and cannot sit in that one room right now.

:gaah:

Reeves said he had cancer in 1988, had radiation.

Reeves bsckground training: from @Josh_Solomon15
Naval Reserve between junior and senior year of high school.
submarine school.
Navy for 2 years on submarine

joined Tampa PD in 1966
first year = age 23-24 wasprobationary officer, worked patrol with a field training officer.

About 18 months into TPD tenure, he joined the selective enforcement unit. Plain clothes, unmarked cars. Attacked high crime areas. Spent @2 yrs. here. Then began "pursuing fugitives" (Spearheading the program got him some props from brass)

become detective, only 3.5 years after starting as patrol officer
assigned to the homicide/robbery bureau. (That carried with it a level of distinction )

detective for about 6.5 years. In 1974, he had gall bladder surgery. Then did work on high profile steel thefts

n1975-76, Reeves promoted to TPD sergeant in patrol division. Supervised/trained @ 10 officers

1972-1976 h college on the GI Bill. graduated from UT with honor

still a sargeant in 1976, promoted a SWAT team be organized; idea was liked . He and a ither sargeant took soecialized training in how to run SWAT team

Supervisors also had to pass psych evaluations. And had to do all the same physical things in training as officers who didn't supervise
1980 promoted to
lieutenant

Retired in 1993. took job as
director of security position at Busch Gardens age 51 . it was less law enforcement, more public relation. He also participated in community outreach program, took private security training

Escobar showed Reeves a packet. consisting mostly of certificates Reeves earned in law enforcement and in private security (a lot!) Going through EACH ONE, starting with submarine school while in Navy

So far, I feel Mr. Reeves is giving a good testimony. I am local and many of us saw many changes in the victims wife statements once she lawyered up. She was shot attempting to pulling her husband (the victim) back. The verbal exchange as described by both wives was needless and should have stopped. I have many times heard my own hubby begin to make an exchange that could be deemed as rude. I think many wives could identify with both of the wives in this situation.
My personal opinion is that Mr Reeves was in fear of his life when the victim jumped up and towered over him in anger. He acted like a hot head because he didn't want to be told to stop texting. Victims wife said he was texting baby sitter, which when phone was analyzed was not true He was doing what many do, just entertaining himself on the phone and didn't want to stop.

So far, I feel Mr. Reeves is giving a good testimony. I am local and many of us saw many changes in the victims wife statements once she lawyered up. She was shot attempting to pulling her husband (the victim) back. The verbal exchange as described by both wives was needless and should have stopped. I have many times heard my own hubby begin to make an exchange that could be deemed as rude. I think many wives could identify with both of the wives in this situation.
My personal opinion is that Mr Reeves was in fear of his life when the victim jumped up and towered over him in anger. He acted like a hot head because he didn't want to be told to stop texting. Victims wife said he was texting baby sitter, which when phone was analyzed was not true He was doing what many do, just entertaining himself on the phone and didn't want to stop.

I agree, both men were displaying rude behaviors. However, what bothers me most is that the Reeves couple could easily have moved seats and had no more problems. He came back prepared to use his gun. 1.5 seconds from time Mr. O stood up and the shot shows (to me) that he was in control of his gun already.

I agree, Mr. Reeves is being very cooperative and doing well.

ETA; and thank you for your input!

We are now at the point of entering and sitting in the theater.

Reeves and wife entered theater @ 1 pm; bought popcorn found 5 seats together at back (for them and their son). Light from phone in front of him was shining in his eyes, he asked man to turn it off and was told something like "F... off"

Cell phone light still bothered him; waited @ half-minute or longer (thinking the man would comply); again he said "you leave me no alternative other than to notify the manager." Mr. O replied "I don't give the F what you do". Sat beck down, but phone light still there and he gets up to leave. Wife said "why don't we just move?' Told her just wait a minute, he arose to go talk to manager.

After talked to manager, came back and sat down again. Took popcorn from wife and sat down, and as walking down aisle Mr. O stared at him. As he went past he told him "I see you are not on yout phone, sorry I notified theater management" As he sat down, Mr. O stood and turned abruptly toward them, caught Mr. R's eye as he was "coming over the seat at me across from where my wife was" saw a "snapshot" of something dark in his hand and saw a glow from a light and was hit in the face. Knocked his glasses crooked on his face.

Was dazed, disoriented, trying to get his thought processes back in order. Heard "his" voice talking to his wife (Mr. O), then heard a lot of sentences directed at Mr. R with F word. Tried to stand up -- popcorn in left hand, leaned forward to stand but realized that would put him closer to Mr O; leaned back in seat as far as he could, realized Mrs. O was trying to hold husband back. Had a wall behind him, wanted to get him away from wife, so leaned as far to left as he could with right leg toward wife to keep Mr O away. Was focused in Mr. O. "you lose your focus, you lose your life" Mr. O continued speaking very loud with his wife trying to hold onto him, Mr R realized he was trapped.

Realized he was in a life or death struggle; not just a loudmouth but a definite threat. Because of the position he was in he reached for his pistol. Man was "suddenly right in front of me, looking down at me, yelling, reaching for me." Felt man was getting ready to punch him and that is when the pistol came out' "I shot him." At that point it was his life or mine, I felt he was going to hurt me.

[forgive typos, please. Having a bad vision day]

Reeves and wife entered theater @ 1 pm; bought popcorn found 5 seats together at back (for them and their son). Light from phone in front of him was shining in his eyes, he asked man to turn it off and was told something like "F... off"

Cell phone light still bothered him; waited @ half-minute or longer (thinking the man would comply); again he said "you leave me no alternative other than to notify the manager." Mr. O replied "I don't give the F what you do". Sat beck down, but phone light still there and he gets up to leave. Wife said "why don't we just move?' Told her just wait a minute, he arose to go talk to manager.

After talked to manager, came back and sat down again. Took popcorn from wife and sat down, and as walking down aisle Mr. O stared at him. As he went past he told him "I see you are not on yout phone, sorry I notified theater management" As he sat down, Mr. O stood and turned abruptly toward them, caught Mr. R's eye as he was "coming over the seat at me across from where my wife was" saw a "snapshot" of something dark in his hand and saw a glow from a light and was hit in the face. Knocked his glasses crooked on his face. Was dazed, disoriented, trying to get his thought processes back in order. Heard "his" voice talking to his wife (Mr. O), then heard a lot of sentences directed at Mr. R with F word. Tried to stand up -- popcorn in left hand, leaned forward to stand but realized that would put him closer to Mr O; leaned back in seat as far as he could, realized Mrs. O was trying to hold husband back. Had a wall behind him, wanted to get him away from wife, so leaned as far to left as he could with right leg toward wife to keep Mr O away. Was focused in Mr. O. "you lose your focus, you lose your life" Mr. O continued speaking very loud with his wife trying to hold onto him, Mr R realized he was trapped.

Realized he was in a life or death struggle; not just a loudmouth but a definite threat. Because of the position he was in he reached for his pistol. Man was "suddenly right in front of me, looking down at me, yelling, reaching for me." Felt man was getting ready to punch him and that is when the pistol came out' "I shot him." At that point it was his life or mine, I felt he was going to hurt me.

[forgive typos, please. Having a bad vision day]

Good, Spellbound. Thank you! Your typos, if any, will go undetected by me. I have CSH (can't see @#$%)!

My opinion only (MOO!)

Chad Oulson couldn't have been coming across the seat to attack Reeves. If that were true, he would have fallen backwards after getting shot, or at least would have slid down to the floor in front of the seat in his own row. As it was, I think he was in a standing position, upright, when he was shot. And Nicole, his wife, was standing beside him with her hand on his chest. That's how her finger took the bullet that ended up hitting Chad Oulson in the chest. After the bullet hit him, he took a few steps, stumbled, and almost fell on top of a witness in his row. They "caught" him and lowered him to the floor. (This is just what I think I remember from testimony at the first hearing in 2014.)

My theory on Curtis Reeves' glasses going askew: When Reeves appeared in court at the first hearing in 2014, I thought that I saw that he was wearing a head strap, or band, to hold his glasses in place. If that is true (and I don't know if he does wear such an apparatus, or if I was just seeing things), I think his glasses were dislodged when he leaned far back in his seat, scrunching down, to dig out his pocket pistol so he could get ready to shoot Chad Oulson. If the argument is that Reeves' head couldn't have touched the back of his seat because he is too tall, then I say his head didn't need to touch the seat back, because there was a wall directly behind him that he could have pressed the back of his head against and that's another option that would have dislodged his glasses.

Just some rambling ideas on my part.

There was no mention of grabbing popcorn and shoving it in his face....?

Showing enhanced surveillance video again. [I do think this video shows more clearly Mr R's whole body. From my view, it looks like there is an empty row bwtween the two men. Does a cell phone shine that brightly that two seats behind it would annoy another person in a darkened, but not completely dark, theater?]

Showing Mr R's dark colored shoe with laces now. Has some reflective areas. Trying to establish the bright white reflection 2x3 pixel in video might be. Mr R does not know, "it is possible" to be his shoe.

attachment.php

Felt threatened, tried to shoot the man before he was hit.
Has no recollection of what happened with the popcorn.
Felt he (Mr O) was a good sized, tall man.
Put the gun in his lap so no one else would feel he was a threat. Off-duty officer retrieved the weapon.

Reeves was shown his booking photo, he pointed out visibly swelling over left eye.

10 minute break, then prosecutiom will be up.

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 73
Good, Spellbound. Thank you! Your typos, if any, will go undetected by me. I have CSH (can't see @#$%)!

My opinion only (MOO!)

Chad Oulson couldn't have been coming across the seat to attack Reeves. If that were true, he would have fallen backwards after getting shot, or at least would have slid down to the floor in front of the seat in his own row. As it was, I think he was in a standing position, upright, when he was shot. And Nicole, his wife, was standing beside him with her hand on his chest. That's how her finger took the bullet that ended up hitting Chad Oulson in the chest. After the bullet hit him, he took a few steps, stumbled, and almost fell on top of a witness in his row. They "caught" him and lowered him to the floor. (This is just what I think I remember from testimony at the first hearing in 2014.)

My theory on Curtis Reeves' glasses going askew: When Reeves appeared in court at the first hearing in 2014, I thought that I saw that he was wearing a head strap, or band, to hold his glasses in place. If that is true (and I don't know if he does wear such an apparatus, or if I was just seeing things), I think his glasses were dislodged when he leaned far back in his seat, scrunching down, to dig out his pocket pistol so he could get ready to shoot Chad Oulson. If the argument is that Reeves' head couldn't have touched the back of his seat because he is too tall, then I say his head didn't need to touch the seat back, because there was a wall directly behind him that he could have pressed the back of his head against and that's another option that would have dislodged his glasses.

Just some rambling ideas on my part.

Good thoights, but I don't think I can agree. Mr. O is seen obviously coming toward Mr Reeves in the surveillance video from the theater. As to whether he is reaching that far from his own row/seat are, I cannot be sure. I don't know where he actually fell. Maybe I can find the video from a few days ago where they talked about the vidtim (not sure they actually showed it on the screen)

attachment.php

Sorry for the poor quality ... it was from the live-stream, but would not download. It said it was saved in wrong format) so I snapped a pic of it on ipad to put here. YELLOW circle is Mr Oulson; RED circle is the gun in Mr. Reeves' hand after shooting.

Any photos I saw right after, with a padded vest on, Mr Reeves was not wearing his glasses at all. I have never seen one when he wore a glasses strap with them. I will be looking, though.

Nice to have things to actually discuss!

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 79

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members