FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Those of us that wear glasses are usually so accustomed to having them on, that it takes a minute to realize they are out of position. Additionally if there was no DNA on the phone it could be because the cellphone struck the glasses. My opinion only, just a thought to possibly answer that question.

Thus is an old article,(March 2014), but states something I have never heard before. Mr. Reeves may have received and sent a text himself from inside the theater .... ?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...orning-in-movie-theater-shooting-case/2169793
The revelation comes from court documents released Wednesday in the case that has drawn national attention. Matthew Reeves, the defendant's son, said in an interview with deputies after the Jan. 13 shooting that he was running late to meet his parents for a 1:20 p.m. show of Lone Survivor. He texted his father that he was on the way.
His father wrote back that he and his wife, Vivian, were in their seats.

Curtis Reeves as he sat in the theater after the shooting, in handcuffs. I personally do not see swelling or redness on the face, but there is some on the hands.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...ater-shooting-will-take-place-in-2017/2283544

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 52
No mugshot of Mr. Reeves has been released:

http://www.tbo.com/pasco-county/jai...r-shooting-suspect-wont-be-released-20140114/
WESLEY CHAPEL — One thing missing from news reports of the Cobb Theatre shooting is the jail mugshot of the suspect, 71-year-old Curtis Reeves Jr.
That’s because the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office isn’t releasing the photograph, citing a Florida statute that exempts from public records photographs of current or former law enforcement officers.
- - - -

First court appearance in 2014, he is not wearing glasses at all.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 51
As a retired Florida law enforcement officer,I can tell you we had mandatory in-service training every year. The First thing we were taught every year was to difuse the situation. That was pounded into our brains. This guy had much more responsibility and training than I ever did. He knew to difuse the situation but he chose to ESCALATE it instead. End of story in my book. On to the trial.

Prosecutor Martin briefly went over the differences in surveillance video and his statements today. Now onto his training using force. Establishes Reeves training told the advantages of deescalation, and Reeves agreed.

1993 retired from police force, started working at Busch Gardens. No longer had authority to arrest or give lawful demands that a person had to follow (correct, per Reeves).

Reeves' gun used was a Kel-Tek 380 (spelling?), carried in his pocket. [photo and description of Kel- Tek .380: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/kel-tec-380-acp-semiautomatic-pistol ]

[Reeves is clearing his throat often and says he is recovering from a cold. He sounds as though he is getting tired. Martin often asks him to speak up louder.]

Reeves says phone's light was distracting, he spoke to Mr. O. Says Mr. O was offending him, he was not offending Mr. O. Mr. Martin asked if Mr. Oulson's behavior changed: "My request to him did have an effect on him" .

Mr. Reeves said Mr. Oulson had a "conflict" with Mrs. Oulson ... appeared she was trying to calm him down, was conversing with him (husband), hanging onto him when Mr Reeves spoke to him and when he stood up from his chair.

After seeing management, Reeves thiught Oulson was still agitated, so he spoke to him to make the environment more pleasant. Martin asks why he did not tell that to detectives ... Reeves said "not important"

Martin is done, short recross by defense. Reeves is done.

Court tomorrow 10 am

As a retired Florida law enforcement officer,I can tell you we had mandatory in-service training every year. The First thing we were taught every year was to difuse the situation. That was pounded into our brains. This guy had much more responsibility and training than I ever did. He knew to difuse the situation but he chose to ESCALATE it instead. End of story in my book. On to the trial.

Thank you, indianwin! I keep thinking you had better be darned sure your life is in mortal danger and be an excellent shooter if you are going to shoot into a darkened theater. How was he so sure he was going to hit his target and not some innocent bystander (like the wife, getting injured, also), or someone sitting on the other side of Oulson. Seems to me someone with his experience would have had the common sense to move away from someone in a theater that annoyed them. I have done that in the past, and never in a million years would I think I should just stay in my seat and I may have to shoot him. And he kept stirring conflict by speaking to Oulson at least three or four times, stirring the pot thicker. JMO

Thanks for your service, and your input here.

Video of theater surveillance with the shooting:

[video=youtu;_2Rly-Qohu4]http://youtu.be/_2Rly-Qohu4[/video]

Still watching Reeves long testimony from yesterday. Replay at this link:
http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/watch-live-curtis-reeves-stand-your-ground-hearing-day-7/

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...estimony-at-stand-your-ground-hearing/2314708
‘I realized I was in a life-or-death struggle,' Curtis Reeves says of theater shooting
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
DADE CITY — In the darkened theater, the older man shrunk back in his seat as the younger man lurched from the row in front of him, hurling obscenities.
Something had struck the older man in the face, he recalled. He thought the younger man was going to punch him.
"It looked to me like he was out of control," 74-year-old Curtis Reeves said Tuesday, explaining why he shot 43-year-old Chad Oulson in the chest, killing him.
"He was in a fit of rage. He was trying to get over the seat at me."
For three years, the defendant in a Wesley Chapel theater shooting had remained publicly silent while in the center of one of the area's most high-profile court cases.
[…]
Quiet laughs came from Oulson's friends and relatives gathered in the court gallery when Reeves said he had tried to "de-escalate" the situation.
[…]

Still watching Reeves long testimony from yesterday. Replay at this link:
http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/watch-live-curtis-reeves-stand-your-ground-hearing-day-7/

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...estimony-at-stand-your-ground-hearing/2314708
‘I realized I was in a life-or-death struggle,' Curtis Reeves says of theater shooting
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
DADE CITY — In the darkened theater, the older man shrunk back in his seat as the younger man lurched from the row in front of him, hurling obscenities.
Something had struck the older man in the face, he recalled. He thought the younger man was going to punch him.
"It looked to me like he was out of control," 74-year-old Curtis Reeves said Tuesday, explaining why he shot 43-year-old Chad Oulson in the chest, killing him.
"He was in a fit of rage. He was trying to get over the seat at me."
For three years, the defendant in a Wesley Chapel theater shooting had remained publicly silent while in the center of one of the area's most high-profile court cases.
[…]
Quiet laughs came from Oulson's friends and relatives gathered in the court gallery when Reeves said he had tried to "de-escalate" the situation.
[…]

I doubt his friends will be laughing when he has to stand trial...and this trial should have to be very soon...Chad's wife has waiting long enough. This SYG hearing was so unfocused and silly...I mean really any judge that would let this guy off would have to be crazy. His demeanor on that stand fully indicated he has not even a speck of regret that he killed this man...even after he shot and Chad is down all he was concerned about was shutting the F up his wife and his own pride. Never a concern at all. He is one of the most unlikable old guys I have ever met and feeble in not a word that comes to mind as I look at his nasty face. Florida can keep their syg...with guys like this running around.

Good morning. Today's hearing starts at 10 am.

I have tried and tried to put myself in Reeves' situation and just cannot fathom why he kept speaking to Mr. Oulson. I may have thought it rude of Mr, O to keep his phone open, may even told him once that it was causing me a problem and asked if he could turn it off. If I felt it aggravated him, I would never have continued speaking to him. After he went to management, he should have either changed seats quietly or let management handle it from there -- no more comments to Mr, O.

as always, JMO

This judge seems diligent and attentive. I believe she will make a ‘lawful’ decision. Unfortunately, with the testimony thus far, I sense that Reeves just might get away with murder.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.012.html
The 2016 Florida Statutes
776.012 Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.—
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-stand-your-ground-panel-20170124-story.html
'Stand your ground' shift wins Senate panel OK
JANUARY 24, 2017
TALLAHASSEE — A measure that would shift the burden of proof in "stand your ground" self-defense cases cleared its first stop Tuesday on an expected fast track through the Florida Senate.
[…]The measure would shift the burden of proof from defendants to prosecutors during pretrial evidentiary hearings in such cases.
The "stand your ground" law says people can use deadly force and do not have a duty to retreat if they think it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm.
[…]The proposal stems from a Florida Supreme Court ruling in 2015 that said defendants have the burden of proof to show they should be shielded from prosecution under the "stand your ground" law. In such cases, hearings are held to determine whether defendants should be immune from prosecution. […]

First witness: Susan Miller, forensic investigator for the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. Collects and preserves evidence.

I can only get the logo on the live-screen feed. Not sure what is going on, tho it appears Josh Solomon (reporter) is still tweeting :

http://sherlock.scribblelive.com/r?...fe91-11e6-852b-93c7ebcb08e0&c=18409&e=2500651

-State's first witness, Susan Miller, forensic investigator
-She photographed Reeves at theater (in another theater room).
-Prosecutor Stacey Sumner asked if she saw any cuts on Reeves' face. Replied, "no"
-Short cross exam; witness excused

Next witness for state is Denice Weigand, former Pasco deputy/forensic tech. Arrived at theater to take pics & measurements.

next up,
forensic investigator for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office [not clear from tweets if this is still Weigand or someone else]
-She brought 3D laser scanner (makes 3D models of crime scenes) to theater
-
took 24 scans of the theater that day, and photos with a digital camera. Overlaid the images on the scans to create "model space"

feed is back. Breaking for lunch NOW ... will return 2:15 (a little extra time)

on stand now: Craig Deyoung (sp?), driver and paramedic with Pasco County Fire Rescue (was in Zephyrhills when called)

On his arrival (DeJonge) both Mr. and Mrs. Oulson were already being treated. He was asked to look at Mr. Reeves' eye, as CR thought he might have popcorn in it. Prepared to "wash" the eye. Reeves was wearing glasses; removed glasses and sprayed from bridge of nose to eyes 2-3 times. Saw no cuts to cheek or eyebrow or nose or behind ears (did not really assess his ears). No complaints from CR other than left eye.

no further questions from either side at this time. Witness excused.

Next Sgt. Alan Hamilton (sp.?) is called by State. Sumter (sp.?) County Police Dept. Was attending movie with wife. There was some commotion nearby, his wife nudged him and told him he might want to pay attention to it. Sitting in same row as Mr. Reeves. Heard "I was just texting my f'ing daughter, do you mind." Saw a burst of popcorn, a muzzle blast, and heard a gunshot --- all in "one big ball." He heard: "I can't believe you shot me," hus hands upon his chest. Tall individual, at least over 6' . Did not see the popcorn actually thrown, no cell phone thrown, no gun being shot, no Mr. O climbing over chair to get at CR.

Hamilton got up, scooted down to see where shot came from and went toward area he felt the shot came from. Came to Mr. R amd firearm was on left knee. Identified himself and a deputy, put his hand on his chest and took the firearm (after showijg his badge). Barrel of firearm was warm; took magazine out and atte ]mpted to clear chamber. Had his firearm with him, but not on him when confronted Mr, R. Eyeglasses were not askew on Mr. R at the time.

Mr. R said he had been hit with something and asked to be checked for injuries. No cuts, bruises or bleeding were seen. Mr. R said he needed to leave; Hamilton said he needed to stay until figured out what was going on. Mr. R said he could not believe what he had done. Stayed with Mr. R until LE arrived.

Regarding Mr. O: Hamilton lost sight of Mr. O; when lights came on he was laying on his back and others were attempting CPR. Heard gurgling sounds fro Mr. O (LE calls it death rattle).

Hamilton turned to Mr, R and told him that doesn't sound good' Mr. R responded he "couldn't believe what I had just f'ing done." Wife said to him there was no call to shoot that man; Mr. R turned pointed finger, told her to shut her mouth and not say another d'ing word. Wife got up, moved down a few seats and sat, and just sat ataring at him (husband).

[sorry ... gotta run out for a while]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back