FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reeves witness changes story under oath

TAMPA (FOX 13) -

Jamira Dixon's allegations made national headlines when she said the man accused in a notorious movie theater shooting confronted her, too.

(snip)
Here's what she said.

"Anything to keep this guy behind bars -- I'll do it...I'll do it because I could really see what type of character he had," Jamira said on camera.

(snip)
It turns out Reeves was never at the theater that day. Text records show he was at home preparing a family dinner.

(snip)
In her deposition, Jamira began doubting her own story.
----------
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/28039399/reeves-witness-changes-story-under-oath

from april, found when searching for video or updates from the friday hearing! prosecution better not call her, oopsy lol

eta..........next pre-trial scheduled for 6/30.......

Access to victim’s cell phone argued in Pasco theater shooting case

NEW PORT RICHEY — Lawyers involved in a pretrial hearing for Curtis Reeves, the retired Tampa police captain who shot to death a man during movie previews in Wesley Chapel last year, continued to argue Wednesday over access to the cell phone Chad Oulson had when he was killed.

Defense attorney Rick Escobar argued that a defense expert should be able to download data collected by the phone on the day Oulson died.

“A download by our expert is necessary,” Escobar said. “We need to do our own download, because we believe a download by the sheriff’s office was done in error, providing insufficient information. It’s pretty easy to spot the errors that were made.

“We’re not trying to be unreasonable, we just want the one day (Jan. 13, 2014).”

Assistant State Attorney William Loughery objected.

“If their expert is allowed to download the whole thing, then anybody with media can ask for the download, too,” he said. “This whole thing is predicated on belief that what we gave them was incomplete or in error. I think it can be resolved differently than have their expert do the download.”

“We’re not hiding anything,” Loughery said.

snip

The case is set for trial starting Aug. 24 but will likely be postponed until November.

http://tbo.com/pasco-county/access-...gued-in-pasco-theater-shooting-case-20150610/

more at link

Reeves' team wins access to Oulson's cellphone

Lawyers for Curtis Reeves Jr., accused of fatally shooting a man who had been using his cellphone inside a movie theater, will be allowed to obtain information from the device.

The information on the phone, including what Chad Oulson, 43, was looking at and with whom he was communicating on the day of the January 2014 shooting, is critical to Reeves' defense, his attorney Richard Escobar said in court Wednesday.

The confrontation between Reeves and Oulson began because Reeves was upset that Oulson was texting during the movie previews, witnesses told authorities. According to the witnesses, Oulson told Reeves he was texting about his 2-year-old daughter, though that narrative was thrown into question by an October report by the Pasco County Sheriff's Office.

Pinellas-Pasco Assistant State Attorney Bill Loughery had already given Escobar a report of what Oulson had done on the phone the day of the incident. He argued allowing the defense to access the phone's data could create privacy concerns and did not follow the rules of discovery.

Escobar alleged to Circuit Judge Pat Siracusa that the report, assembled by the prosecution's technology expert, contained errors and was missing information. Escobar asked the court to allow the defense's expert to examine the phone and extract its data on his or her own.

"How can it be fair for the state of Florida, which accuses someone of second-degree murder, to have the phone" and deny the defense access to the phone? Escobar asked Siracusa.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/reeves-team-wins-access-to-oulsens-cell-phone/2233162
b4s_reeves061115_14206766_8col.jpg

BRENDAN FITTERER | Times (2014)

Former Tampa police Capt. Curtis Reeves Jr. is charged with second-degree murder in the theater shooting death of Chad Oulson. 

next pretrial hearing is scheduled for 6/30 :seeya:

Sometimes I swear this defense is just killing time, maybe hoping their client will pass away from old age before it goes to court. :maddening:

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/20221686-story

TAMPA (FOX 13) - Self-defense, not murder: That's what Curtis Reeves told detectives after he shot Chad Oulson to death inside a movie theater nearly two years ago.

We are getting the first look at the defense team's witness list, and it reveals an aggressive argument of self-defense.

Headlining the all-star witness list is retired FBI agent Bruce Koenig. He's known for analyzing some of the most famous video and audio clips in history -- like the JFK assassination, President Nixon's Watergate tapes, video of the shooting of President Reagan, and the Linda Tripp/Monica Lewinski recordings.

Much more at link.

Retired police captain who shot dead father in movie theater during texting argument will use controversial 'Stand your ground' defense

Curtis Reeves, 73, was arrested in 2014 after killing Chad Oulson, 43, in a movie theater after the two argued over Oulson texting during a preview

Video appears to show Oulson tossing popcorn at Reeves

Reeves responded with a fatal bullet

Oulson's wife was also struck in the hand

Reeves plans to use Florida's 'Stand your ground' defense, which says that a person can use deadly force when they fear death or great bodily harm, without the need to retreat first

The law, which is in effect in 23 states, became controversial during the George Zimmerman trial

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nvoke-stand-ground-shooting.html#ixzz3q2YuB3w

That guy is going to die of old age before his victim's family see's justice.

It would seem so. But, I believe he's 73 years old now. Given the increased lifespan of today's population, this guy could live to be 100, or so. Didn't look it up. Just saying.
However, if (?!!!) convicted, the appeals process could see him through to the end of his life, maybe?

To me, it is just so cut and dried. No need for a trial. Blah, blah, blah, ... . The criminal justice system works at a snail's pace ... in keeping with increased longevity of the average person today(?).

Show me that he didn't have a brain tumor, or some mitigating factor to explain his lunacy, and I say throw away the key ... or lethal injection or resuscitate "Ole' Sparky".

Politically incorrect post. That's my opinion only.

[h=1]Stand your ground hearing in Pasco theater shooting will take place in 2017[/h]DADE CITY — The prosecution and defense in the murder trial of Curtis Reeves Jr., accused of fatally shooting a man in a movie theater, are scheduled to face off in a "stand your ground" hearing in February 2017 — more than three years after deputies said he pulled the trigger.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...ater-shooting-will-take-place-in-2017/2283544

Agreed! 3 years just to figure out if he will stand trial. Say he looses his "Stand Your Ground" hearing and is ordered over to trial. How many more years will that take? I can hear the defense now - well, your honor, we weren't prepared to loose this hearing so, more work needs to be done for an actual trail.

Agreed! 3 years just to figure out if he will stand trial. Say he looses his "Stand Your Ground" hearing and is ordered over to trial. How many more years will that take? I can hear the defense now - well, your honor, we weren't prepared to loose this hearing so, more work needs to be done for an actual trail.

And then, when the trial date is finally set, Reeves' dementia (which he must have had all along -- there's no other possible reason he could have committed this outrageous murder) will have progressed to the point where he will be deemed incapable of assisting in his own defense. Whereupon, he will continue to remain free. The pensions will continue from his two jobs that he retired from, and he'll live happily on for many more years to come. "THE END" Just listening to the audio recording of LE's interview of Reeves immediately following his arrest says it all in his own words. Unbelievable!

still waiting for justice. She sure can be slow.

:waiting:

From the below article, posted Wednesday, June 29, 2016:

"Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Susan Barthle on Wednesday scheduled the hearing to start on Feb. 20 [2017]. The proceedings could take up to a week or longer, and the judge rearranged her calendar to make sure she's available to hear the case in case a second week is required."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...ater-shooting-will-take-place-in-2017/2283544

I can see a problem, already, with the Mon., Feb. 20, 2017 hearing date. That date is Presidents' Day, according to one of my 2017 calendars. Don't think the courts will be open on a federal holiday.

Oh, I foresee yet another postponement . . .

I live here about 2-3 miles from this theater (seven oaks for the locals). This is usually our theater but it really freaks my kids out because we moved to Florida after this happened, but had seen it on the news after getting here. We now go to a different theater. Irrational I know, but makes my kids feel better. I'm hoping to watch this trial.

Well hoping it gets to trial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...r-shooting-case-justice-is-anything-but-swift
Lyons: In theater shooting case, justice is anything but swift
Posted Sep 26, 2016 at 6:10 PM
Updated Sep 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM
[…] Turns out, postponements have repeatedly pushed the expected "Stand Your Ground" hearing. Richard Escobar, the shooter's lawyer, says is only partly because of waiting for crime lab enhancements of a security cam video that captured some of the action in the darkened theater.
Another factor has been even more time-consuming, he said: "One hundred seventy-two witnesses."
What?
The theater was full of people who could have seen or heard something relevant, Escobar said Monday. "We've deposed over 150 witnesses."
Keep in mind, this is not even necessarily preparation for trial. Escobar still hopes there won't be one. He is preparing for the February hearing at which he hopes a judge will dismiss the charge.
[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back