GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When this story first broke people talked about the ex-wife a lot, all those posts were deleted. I'm thinking as far as Dan's Facebook, after the separation he may have delated all references to his soon to be ex-wife.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/2015/07/17/year-still-clues-dan-markel-killing/30330539/

Surveillance photos show the 2006-2009 model, painted "Silver Pine Mica," was missing a tow-bolt cover on its front bumper, had a mismatching black passenger-side mirror and appeared to have a Sunpass-type card reader in the center of its windshield.

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2015/12/...rder-of-fsu-law-professor-daniel-eric-markel/

Daniel-Eric-Markel-580.jpg

There are three distinctive characteristics of the car:

• It has a missing tow bolt cover on the driver’s side front bumper.

• The passenger side mirror housing is black in color, while the driver’s side mirror housing is the same color as the car itself.

• There is a toll transponder similar to a Sunpass or E-Pass/EZ-Pass in the center of the front windshield.

Anyone with information regarding this case may contact the Tallahassee, Florida, Police Department at 850- 891-4462, your local FBI office, or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.
rbbm.

From the pictures of the Pruis and images inside, the passenger looked like a young kid wearing a hoodie. JMO

From the pictures of the Pruis and images inside, the passenger looked like a young kid wearing a hoodie. JMO

don't know if you had a chance, but did you view the video put out by TPD. Clink the link in the upper thread. There was no mention of anyone inside or that they could see but perhaps they left that part out. Anyway, it's something I had not thought of.......possibly a get away driver

Tried this and got nada. But.....it could be I did something wrong. I put in dates 01/01/14 to 01/01/15 I wanted to see the change of judges in July of 2014 and then the final adjudication of the case that allowed Adelson to leave Tallahasse and take the boys to Miami.in 1-15

Anyone else care to try?
https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/publ...ine_searches/search_courts/search_by_name.asp
Select Civil Cases, Enter Dan’s name, Two cases are listed, Select 2012 case, Separate window appears, Scroll down to bottom and more than 100 docket entries are listed 9/10/2012 to 7/1/2015.

The section above the docket entries has the heading ‘Judges Appearing on Case’ which is where the Judge assignments are listed for 9/11/2012, 7/1/2014 and 7/1/2015.

I have always been able to access these online records. They should exist forever for public review under stipulations of Florida Sunshine Laws. There could be some confidential documents contained in the court file that aren’t available for public viewing. The Marital Settlement Agreement may or may not be provided as a public records request. If it is available, the cost is $1.00 per page. A request for documents can be electronically submitted in the section headed ‘Viewable on Request Documents-VOR’.

Hope this helps.

don't know if you had a chance, but did you view the video put out by TPD. Clink the link in the upper thread. There was no mention of anyone inside or that they could see but perhaps they left that part out. Anyway, it's something I had not thought of.......possibly a get away driver
There was much discussion August 2015, page 31 to 34, post #464 to #498, about the vehicle, driver, and possible passengers.
Maybe others could review those posts and chime in with current opinions.

https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/publ...ine_searches/search_courts/search_by_name.asp
Select Civil Cases, Enter Dan’s name, Two cases are listed, Select 2012 case, Separate window appears, Scroll down to bottom and more than 100 docket entries are listed 9/10/2012 to 7/1/2015.

The section above the docket entries has the heading ‘Judges Appearing on Case’ which is where the Judge assignments are listed for 9/11/2012, 7/1/2014 and 7/1/2015.

I have always been able to access these online records. They should exist forever for public review under stipulations of Florida Sunshine Laws. There could be some confidential documents contained in the court file that aren’t available for public viewing. The Marital Settlement Agreement may or may not be provided as a public records request. If it is available, the cost is $1.00 per page. A request for documents can be electronically submitted in the section headed ‘Viewable on Request Documents-VOR’.

Hope this helps.
Yes, it does. I have gotten too deep into this as I knew I would. Last night I found an interesting blog that seemed to put "those threatening comments" into better context. I'm not great with my laptop but am trying. I was unable to bring the blog info from there to here.

And the bad part....I believe I lost it and I have no idea how I found it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Not a mod, but personally prefer not to touch on the family stuff. Thinking about the online threats DM received and wondering if he encountered some kind of trouble on his trip to New York?
Just prior to Mr Markel's murder, he apparently posted a passionate piece concerning capital punishment, also as a lawyer, he may have had history with someone that nobody knows or thinks about?
Speculation, imo.

Agree about the family issues, but it really might be important in is case. I don't think I was a "hired hit" because of custody issues though. Could be something based on the reason his wife moved out like she did...jmo

The only murder I know of kind of similar to this is the murder of Tom Wales here inSeattle in 2001. Tom was an Assistant US Attorney specializing in investigating and prosecuting bank fraud. His killer fired through the window of his study one night ashe worked in his study. LE never fond a real motive or a killer. Tom was a gun control advocate, but not super involved in that issue. It remains a mystery. He was killed one month after 9/11, on 10/11/2001

There was much discussion August 2015, page 31 to 34, post #464 to #498, about the vehicle, driver, and possible passengers.
Maybe others could review those posts and chime in with current opinions.

One comment at the bottom of this article, suggests someone in the car, that i have not seen, so far...
Wondering if Mr Markel's father has ever hinted to LE about his suspicions, although, perhaps if he is very religious, he may not suggest anyone unless he has witnesses?
Speculation, imo.
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...elease-new-details-in-dan-markels-murder.html
In his first public comments on the murder Markel's father Phillip expressed fears the case will never be solved.

'I know nothing will bring our son back but we would like some closure,' said Phillip Markel in an exclusive interview with Daily Mail Online.

'The investigation seems to have stalled and it is just so frustrating for the family. We want to see the killer caught and brought to justice.'

Mr Markel, who lives in Toronto, Canada, said he has his own theories about who killed his son but said without firm evidence he is not willing to share them.

'It is frustrating as we are at a standstill and that means we cannot have closure and just have to live with it. That is not the best situation.

'I have my own theory who killed Dan, but I do not have the proof and am unwilling to share them.'

Some colleagues had speculated that a posting Markel wrote on his now defunct blog PrawfsBlawg.could have somehow been the key to him being targeted.

Markel was the subject of an anonymous threatening post.

'Bullies like this need to be made radioactive,' a person wrote about Markel's comments.

'Their arrogance and imperiousness speaks for itself. All means necessary must be employed.'

Police have not said if the person who made the post has been traced.

Agree about the family issues, but it really might be important in is case. I don't think I was a "hired hit" because of custody issues though. Could be something based on the reason his wife moved out like she did...jmo

The only murder I know of kind of similar to this is the murder of Tom Wales here inSeattle in 2001. Tom was an Assistant US Attorney specializing in investigating and prosecuting bank fraud. His killer fired through the window of his study one night ashe worked in his study. LE never fond a real motive or a killer. Tom was a gun control advocate, but not super involved in that issue. It remains a mystery. He was killed one month after 9/11, on 10/11/2001

Rbbm.
Tip-toeing here, guessing that as an extremely busy and popular guy, he may have been too preoccupied to give the attention a young, very attractive and successful woman, wife and mother to young children might desire?
As lawyers, maybe they had very differing views- perhaps political or religious, for some, that might be enough to up and go.
Speculation, imo.

Rbbm.
Tip-toeing here, guessing that as an extremely busy and popular guy, he may have been too preoccupied to give the attention a young, very attractive and successful woman, wife and mother to young children might desire?
As lawyers, maybe they had very differing views- perhaps political or religious, for some, that might be enough to up and go.
Speculation, imo.
Hmm. IDk Some reasons I could think of :

Abuse and/or control issues , infidelity, the usual things ? jmo

To Dotr: The following is based on articles I have read. I have made suppositions throughout. If you deem this inappropiate, please delete. I am finding it difficult to find anything on Ms. Adelson. I wonder if her attorneys' put a gag order on everyone she knew.

I also cannot find dates or articles
on important events in the couples life.

How did they meet? Reports show she was a 3rd year law student at the U of Miami when they married in February of 2006.

At the time of Dan's death in 2014, the children were 3 and 5.
So roughly guessing , the oldest was born in 2009 and the youngest in 2011.

So what may have precipitated the unhappiness in the marriage that he was not aware of. His attorney's said there was no abuse, infidelity , or

In 2012, Markel became a full professor at FSU. According to various reports, "his star was rising". Friends talk about how hard he worked, the interest he showed in his student's work and education, his published articles, how he often had friends and students over to share in the Holy Saturday meals at HIS house, how he loved his children and doted on them etc. No word on the love he had for his wife.
In fact, no mention of Adelson at all. It's almost like she didn't exist.

In 2011 ( no end or start dates), Markel became a scholar in residence at New York University Law. I'm not sure what this entailed. Was he living in NY and visiting his family in Tallahassee on weekends, or did he live in Tallahassee and visit NYU periodically?

Adelson, who by all accounts was as smart as Dan and quite beautiful, had a job at FSU as the Director of Public Interest Law.
She wrote and published a book that was used in law classrooms.
During their 6 year marriage, she had 2 children.

I often wonder if it was difficult living in the shadow of her husband and/ or entertaining guests who were friends of Dan's.
She was 6 years younger than he was. She was certainly smart enough to keep up with him and his friends but was she accepted into his circle of friends? While he was thriving and loving every minute of his job and his life, was she languishing within a group and school not of her choosing?

While she was pregnant with their 2nd child, he was a scholar in residence at NYU. Could this have caused resentment?

Was she not a good communicator to her husband and he not a good listener to his wife. Could her resentment have been simmering and caught him unsware?

I certainly do not know. But I can't help but think she had had enough in September 2012 for whatever reason.

Around September of 2012, she hired a professional moving company to move her out of their house and to Miami. She also filed for divorce at that time. She used an attorney in Tallahassee. (which came as a suprise to me as I would have thought she would have hired some bigwig from Miami).

I can't get a clear picture of what happened next. Supposedly for 6
weeks she wouldn't give Dan the correct address of where she and the boys were living. Did this mean it was 6 weeks before he got to see his childten?

The divorce was granted on 7-31-13 but the custody battle and fight over money and heirlooms continued.

A report indicates she resigned in January of 2014 from her job at FSU and took her kids to live in Miami. If that is true, did she and the boys return to FSU after her departure in September of 2012?
Where did she live? If she finally left in January of 2014, had she and Dan worked out a custody agreement? That would have been approx. 8 months before he was shot.

So, if they were sharing custody of the children and had been for sometime, what was the problem?

A friend of Dan's in NY reported that Dan had visited him in 2014,
and he appeared happy and was moving on with his life. He had a new love interest with a professor at NYU Law.

I wonder what Dan's plans were at that time. He was already tenured so was he planning on a move to NY?

It is hard for me to believe this was a professional hit. Standing out on the driveway waiting for Dan to appear and then following him into the garage and shooting him point blank through the driver's side window once, and with no silencer. The gun blast was so loud the neighbor next door heard it and came outside.

If the Prius was used, it must have been enough time for the shooter to get down the driveway and into the car without being seen. The neighbor described the vehicle as clean, well kept and either silver or white and it looked to be similar to a Prius.

Was he targeted? I believe so. But who shot him? Find that Prius and it will answer a lot of questions.

There are too many gaps and unanswered questions re the victim's and his wife's past and what they managed to work out.

Lots of speculation as I have done here. Figure out the blogger who sent Dan a nasty note on his blog in 2012; was there anyone "sweet " on Ms Adelson while she was in Tallehassee.

Again, the Prius:
1).Do rentals have an express pass already put on the vehicle
or are renters required to buy one for the day (that is not attached)
2). There are no toll roads in Tallahassee or the surrounding
areas.
3). There are tolls in Orlando,
Miami and Tampa.
4). I believe e-passes can be used anywhere in the country

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Excellent post, Razz!!! :yourock:

Just what I was waiting for. You addressed some facts I find troublesome with this case. There have been a few similar cases over the years, and it has taken a very long time to piece everything together, to arrest all parties responsible.

IMHO

The article didn't give much information. Hope the correct guy has been arrested. Can't wait to hear thr whole story!

The article didn't give much information. Hope the correct guy has been arrested. Can't wait to hear thr whole story!

Until this morning's press conference apparently all the media has to go on is TPD's press release and SG's arrest records, eg, the strong-arm robbery charges were in Miami-Dade. The photo they're displaying is his mug shot from his arrest yesterday.

Thanks for posting, this is a surprise!

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/05/man-charged-in-connection-with-the-killing-of-dan-markel/

Sigfredo-Garcia-300x400.png
Sigfredo Garcia

....more information will be provided at a press conference at 11:30 a.m. today.

We will provide additional information on this story as it develops.

UPDATE (8:45 a.m.): The Tallahassee Democrat story has been updated to note that Sigredo Garcia “has a criminal history, according to Miami-Dade County records, that includes strong arm robbery, burglary, drugs and concealed weapons violations.”

LIVE VIDEO.. Sigfredo Garcia at bond hearing
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...-video-sigfredo-garcia-bond-hearing/84963166/

State arrest records show Garcia has multiple arrests dating back to 1997 including arrests for car theft, cocaine possession, burglary, threatening a witness and a strongarm robbery charge in 2012. Those records show that other charges were filed against him — including possession of an explosive device — but that the charges were dropped.

His occupation is listed on his arrest records as a heavy machine operator.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...2014-killing-of-FSU-law-professor-7946780.php

So instead of complicated connections, we have a straight up, run of the mill, - allegedly responsible for taking down this fine man, imo.

I was a friend of Dan's. I'm relieved and happy that justice may be imminent. But, in my opinion only, this was a hit. So "complicated connections" are likely still to be revealed. I hope the suspect is incentivized to talk.

I was a friend of Dan's. I'm relieved and happy that justice may be imminent. But, in my opinion only, this was a hit. So "complicated connections" are likely still to be revealed. I hope the suspect is incentivized to talk.

Quite right, and of course the suspect probably had some shaky relationships,maybe from jail or stemming from alleged cocaine possession, imo

Sorry about your friend Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member