GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a friend of Dan's. I'm relieved and happy that justice may be imminent. But, in my opinion only, this was a hit. So "complicated connections" are likely still to be revealed. I hope the suspect is incentivized to talk.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been following this case (but haven't posted in this thread) for awhile now and I'm shocked yet happy to see an arrest has been made.

In this link, it says that more arrests are to be expected and that they suspect it was a murder for hire, so you might be right. - http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/05/26/man-arrrested-dan-markel-case/84955148/

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been following this case (but haven't posted in this thread) for awhile now and I'm shocked yet happy to see an arrest has been made.

In this link, it says that more arrests are to be expected and that they suspect it was a murder for hire, so you might be right. - http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/05/26/man-arrrested-dan-markel-case/84955148/

Holy crow, fasten your seat-belts, this is going to be a bumpy ride, imo.!
From the link.
Another source said there could be as many as five or six additional arrests
rbbm.

Keep in mind he was arrested some 450 miles from Tallahassee and has a lengthy criminal record in Miami which is even farther south. I didn't find any civil or criminal records for him in Leon County, where Tallahassee is located. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a hit.

Anyone seen anything about the press conference being live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To sum up the press conference, no details can be released until investigation is complete, in the meantime , this bit about the suspect..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...c24204-2354-11e6-b944-52f7b1793dae_story.html
The 34-year-old Garcia, who is listed in jail records as living in Miami Beach, declined a public defender.

Garcia told Judge Mary Rudd Robinson he has a lawyer, but just met him Wednesday and couldn’t remember the name. He said he put the lawyer’s card in his wallet, which had been confiscated. Garcia told Robinson that he didn’t know that he would need a lawyer until Wednesday.

Well bless the Tally PD's (big) heart. ;)

Gratitude that they've made an arrest and that the investigation is continuing is much better than worrying that the case had gone cold and would never be solved.

Wow, I am so pleased to see an arrest! I was concerned that this was becoming a cold case and feared that there would never be justice for Dan and those who loved and cared about him.

I didn't know Dan or have any connection to him, but he reminds me of a close friend of mine and I think of him often and frequently checked on his case. I'm looking forward to see how this case evolves in the coming days, weeks & months.

So yeah, the press conference didn't tell us much, but now I'm on the edge of my seat thinking that more is going to be coming out ASAP. Especially if this guy talks.

They couldn't answer the question about how he is linked to Dan...any theories from anyone here? If this was a hired hit, who hired this guy and how did they know him?

Wow, how crazy. Who wanted this man dead so badly??

An arrest ! this is great news ! Now to unravel the details.... did anyone have any connections to Miami ? jmo

An arrest ! this is great news ! Now to unravel the details.... did anyone have any connections to Miami ? jmo
This is great news. did you mean connections to miami beside the ex? I can't wait for the details!!

Holey Moley, I can't believe this after following this case for so long! If they have the right guy they must have been doing some serious investigating and then Miami, that rings a bell. Have to wait and see. His dad must have been doing a lot of praying.

I was a friend of Dan's. I'm relieved and happy that justice may be imminent. But, in my opinion only, this was a hit. So "complicated connections" are likely still to be revealed. I hope the suspect is incentivized to talk.

Very sorry for your loss. I have been a participant on WebSleuths as well as a person impacted by cases on here, and please know that you have our sympathies.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/05/more-details-about-the-arrest-in-the-killing-of-dan-markel/
More Details About The Arrest In The Killing Of Dan Markel
By David Lat

If you tuned into the press conference, you heard many questions get deflected. From the Tallahassee Democrat (which has provided commendably comprehensive coverage of the case throughout its duration):

The Tallahassee Police Department is not releasing details in the arrest of a suspect in the 2014 killing of FSU law professor Dan Markel because of an ongoing investigation…. The probable cause affidavit in his arrest has been sealed.

“This case is ongoing and continuing,” said TPD spokesman Dave Northway. “So if we were to release all of the details of the case, that would jeopardize our case that we are continuing to work.”

Sources close to the investigation say Markel was killed in a murder-for-hire plot and that more arrests are expected.

As noted in an update to our original story, Garcia “has a criminal history, according to Miami-Dade County records, that includes strong arm robbery, burglary, drugs and concealed weapons violations.” In addition, police report finding a baggie containing cocaine in his wallet when he was searched incident to arrest last night. It’s not clear how many convictions he has or how much time he has spent in jail. (Per the Democrat, he has no history of incarceration in Florida state prisons.)

Very sorry for your loss. I have been a participant on WebSleuths as well as a person impacted by cases on here, and please know that you have our sympathies.
Well, well, well. I've had guests since last night and just now checked here. Yep, it's gonna be a bumpy ride, but not for us!! Love it!!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member