GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last 2 paragraphs from her readings are very telling, I've transcribed them below. To me, I think she's feeling stung by criticism that she's shown no grief or been upset by her ex's death, and she's trying to respond (because criticism is intolerable), but instead of admitting to anything real, she sneakily twists things to show what a nasty jerk he was, saying those things to poor well-meaning her! Sadly, I'm all too familiar with this strategy from trying to talk to certain people in my life. They're made of teflon, they can never admit to the slightest flaw.

"If I am a person that likes to be funny and use humour and levity to engage with people, then is it an authentic or inauthentic response to smile at the news of something tragic? Am I deluding others or myself when I smile or laugh through the pain of a terrible time? Am I avoiding actually bathing in the grief I feel so that when time passes I will have missed my time to grieve?

"Danny used to tell me everyone thought I was such a nice person and such a good person, but he was the only one who knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him"

interesting. But, why tell the world you are "a bad person " ? Is there some self esteem issue here ? I grew up in NYC, and went to a good university there. I got to know quite a few young women ( and men) like this. Self absorbed. Endlessly analyzing themselves. They were all sheltered and naïve. Not sure I can see this woman planning a murder,and hiring someone to carry it out. Wonder who the other 6 arrests might be ? jmo

interesting. But, why tell the world you are "a bad person " ? Is there some self esteem issue here ? I grew up in NYC, and went to a good university there. I got to know quite a few young women ( and men) like this. Self absorbed. Endlessly analyzing themselves. They were all sheltered and naïve. Not sure I can see this woman planning a murder,and hiring someone to carry it out. Wonder who the other 6 arrests might be ? jmo

She said, "Danny used to tell me everyone thought I was such a nice person and such a good person, but he was the only one who knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him"

Maybe she meant, "Danny used to tell me everyone thought I was such a nice person and such a good person, but (THAT) he was the only one who knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him"

See the difference? Which one would cause you to resent your husband if you thought you were the bees' knees?

What makes me sad is when he married her in Israel, he said something like Wow I won the lottery. Poor Dan. On another note, how did she know or think it was a hit?! I did not look at the video but someone mentioned she said this. Wonder who she had in mind that would have done this ???

Too much into themselves, psychopaths are like that. I know that is extreme but at the least sociopath. 6 arrests, that's alot of people involved in his killing. Very strange.

I can't help but think he never would have allowed her to move out. Or with the children anyway.

I think she had it planned for when he was gone long enough for her to get the movers in and out and down to Miami before he got back from his business trip. No fighting, no arguing.......but I think she seriously underestimated him and the lengths he would go to to get his kids back.

She may have been smart, but emotionally...she was extremely naive.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

This. Well stated.

That's exactly what happened. She was blindsided by his willingness to wage WWIII, she honestly didn't have the foresight to anticipate his reaction because she's completely void of the ability to bond emotionally. For her, relocating with the kids was about what was most convenient for HER, but for Dan it was about being a father to his children. No doubt she perceived it as a deliberate attempt to make her life miserable (it's always about HER.)

Yep, I totally agree with you. Some people are master manipulators.

ETA: And I'd like to add that maybe it's true. Maybe he was emotionally/verbally abusing her, telling her everyone didn't know how awful she actually was when she wasn't. If it's true he didn't read her book, that is at the least insensitive and selfish and at the most downright emotionally abusive. If I wrote a book I'd be hurt if my loved one had no interest in reading it.
There's her side of the story and there's his side of the story. Somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Too much into themselves, psychopaths are like that. I know that is extreme but at the least sociopath. 6 arrests, that's alot of people involved in his killing. Very strange.

RBBM : Perhaps it is not exactly what one might imagine...jmo

She said, "Danny used to tell me everyone thought I was such a nice person and such a good person, but he was the only one who knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him"

Maybe she meant, "Danny used to tell me everyone thought I was such a nice person and such a good person, but (THAT) he was the only one who knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him"

See the difference? Which one would cause you to resent your husband if you thought you were the bees' knees?

IDK, but it seems really upsetting, to have one's husband speak in such terms. jmo It's difficult to make a psychiatric diagnosis over the internet. jmo

I can't help but think he never would have allowed her to move out. Or with the children anyway.

I think she had it planned for when he was gone long enough for her to get the movers in and out and down to Miami before he got back from his business trip. No fighting, no arguing.......but I think she seriously underestimated him and the lengths he would go to to get his kids back.

She may have been smart, but emotionally...she was extremely naive.

The only woman I've known who left her husband in this manner did so because she was afraid of him. jmo

The only woman I've known who left her husband in this manner did so because she was afraid of him. jmo
I think she was afraid. Afraid that he'd never agree to letting her have sole custody of the boys. There's no doubt in my mind that Dan could be an a$$. Trouble was, she equaled him in that department and her taking the kids without his knowledge was the biggest (and most foolhardy) weapon she could use on him.
And it backfired.

ETA: And I'd like to add that maybe it's true. Maybe he was emotionally/verbally abusing her, telling her everyone didn't know how awful she actually was when she wasn't. If it's true he didn't read her book, that is at the least insensitive and selfish and at the most downright emotionally abusive. If I wrote a book I'd be hurt if my loved one had no interest in reading it.

True, a law professor might be especially inclined to snear if someone chose to write a novel instead of a legal paper.

The part that gets me is "he told me he was the only one who knew the truth about what a bad person I was". I don't think anyone well educated/well socialized says that, not even "bad dog." To me, that's coming from someone's own head: "if I'm not perfect, that must mean I'm completely bad. Gack, this is intolerable." With certain people I know, the slightest, gentlest, mildest criticism causes them to get out the nuclear bombs in retaliation.

I think she was afraid. Afraid that he'd never agree to letting her have sole custody of the boys. There's no doubt in my mind that Dan could be an a$$. Trouble was, she equaled him in that department and her taking the kids without his knowledge was the biggest (and most foolhardy) weapon she could use on him.
And it backfired.

But, doesn't she give up her job as the Director of the Law Center at FSU that she is so gushingly proud of herself for in the video?
How does she intend to support herself without it?
Why not stay in the area, maintain her sense of self-importance in her job, have at least shared custody, and keep on being paid by FSU?

Either she really was afraid of Dan or was supremely confident that she could get both financial support and full custody by claiming abuse to her and the children.
Either he was a supremely bad father/husband, or she was incredibly impulsive and irrational.
I'm not hearing anything about the former.

I'm not fully up to speed on this case, but does what I said make sense? or not?

There's not one single shred of evidence to even so much as suggest she was afraid of him. Yes, women leave all the time because they're afraid, but nothing supports that theory in this case. She was hardly a shrinking violet, but more importantly she has never alluded to feeling threatened or afraid, so there's no basis for the theory. We are dissecting what she has so candidly shared with the world, we can all draw our own conclusions based on what's been made available, but personally, I'm not a big fan of theories that cast aspersions on the dead. I know it happens, I just really don't care for it.

There's not one single shred of evidence to even so much as suggest she was afraid of him. Yes, women leave all the time because they're afraid, but nothing supports that theory in this case. She was hardly a shrinking violet, but more importantly she has never alluded to feeling threatened or afraid, so there's no basis for the theory. We are dissecting what she has so candidly shared with the world, we can all draw our own conclusions based on what's been made available, but personally, I'm not a big fan of theories that cast aspersions on the dead. I know it happens, I just really don't care for it.
Never into casting aspersions on the dead. It's just that I don't know this woman, never met her. And I don't want to cast aspersions on her either at this time. If, and/or when LE cuffs her, that's when my aspersions will be cast. jmo

As a childhood friend, I can't imagine anyone being afraid of Dan. I appreciate your post.

Welcome Jerri_Blank!

Glad you are here. Would love to hear more of your memories of your childhood friend.

:wagon:

But, doesn't she give up her job as the Director of the Law Center at FSU that she is so gushingly proud of herself for in the video?
How does she intend to support herself without it?
Why not stay in the area, maintain her sense of self-importance in her job, have at least shared custody, and keep on being paid by FSU?

Either she really was afraid of Dan or was supremely confident that she could get both financial support and full custody by claiming abuse to her and the children.
Either he was a supremely bad father/husband, or she was incredibly impulsive and irrational.
I'm not hearing anything about the former.

I'm not fully up to speed on this case, but does what I said make sense? or not?
In my opinion, no. I think she disliked FSU, being amongst those who worshipped Dan and vice versa. She wanted to be home, with her mother, father, and her 2 boys. And to do the work she wanted to do...and not be in the shadow of someone she had come to.... dislike?!
After she returned to FSU to share custody with Dan, it appears she tried to make the best of it. In mid July of 2014, she and her ex husband filed motions, counter motions, back and forth. About what? Money and heirlooms? Don't know. But it all came to a screeching halt on the day he was murdered.

Wondering if " active investigation " means that LE are physically out looking to round up other suspects, or, if it means they are hoping to extract information from the suspect in custody?

Daniel's car seems to be an understated, sensible sort of car, did he have any other flashier ones?
The case seems to revolve in some way around cars ( although maybe that is a Florida thing) Daniel, murdered in his garage, sitting in a car, the alleged hitman, pulls up oddly enough, imo, in a Prius, and is ultimately arrested at a gas station.
speculation, imo.

http://www.people.com/article/suspect-arrested-murder-dan-markel

"The probable cause has been sealed," said Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo during a press conference Thursday. "This is still an active criminal investigation."

Markel, 41, was shot at around 11 a.m. on July 18, 2014, while in his Honda Accord his garage, police said. He died the same day.

?
Wondering if " active investigation " means that LE are physically out looking to round up other suspects, or, if it means they are hoping to extract information from the suspect in custody?

Daniel's car seems to be an understated, sensible sort of car, did he have any other flashier ones?
The case seems to revolve in some way around cars ( although maybe that is a Florida thing) Daniel, murdered in his garage, sitting in a car, the alleged hitman, pulls up oddly enough, imo, in a Prius, and is ultimately arrested at a gas station.
speculation, imo.
?!

http://www.people.com/article/suspect-arrested-murder-dan-markel

I think an arrest was made because he was a flight risk (luggage in his car) and they simply couldn't wait any longer. I don't get the impression he was taken down because they have enough evidence to round up everyone involved - yet. I think they were getting close to an arrest, he was tipped off & already had an attorney lined up, but I think LE made a move sooner than they were planning. They're probably hoping to extrapolate a smoking gun confession from him but I wouldn't say they're necessarily banking on it.
‎
I don't think vehicles are an essential element to the case, other than a required necessity to commit a crime and being where the crime occurred. It was a targeted assassination so the timing was intentional. The critical element being after DM dropped his boys off at daycare/school.

In my opinion, no. I think she disliked FSU, being amongst those who worshipped Dan and vice versa. She wanted to be home, with her mother, father, and her 2 boys. And to do the work she wanted to do...and not be in the shadow of someone she had come to.... dislike?!
After she returned to FSU to share custody with Dan, it appears she tried to make the best of it. In mid July of 2014, she and her ex husband filed motions, counter motions, back and forth. About what? Money and heirlooms? Don't know. But it all came to a screeching halt on the day he was murdered.

It was all about the children. It wasn't about money or things. "The two divorced in 2013 and were fighting in court over the terms of their child custody agreement for their two young sons when he was killed."

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/05/26/man-arrrested-dan-markel-case/84955148/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking