GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew both of them, and I cannot wait to have closure. I keep wanting to write things here, but it's pointless to speculate. They were both complex people. He was not perfect, and became very angry and litigious when she filed for divorce. He really put his lawyer hat on. But both had moved on at the time of his death, and the worst of the legal wrangling was over. It makes no sense. I pray for justice and closure for everyone involved.

Too much into themselves, psychopaths are like that. I know that is extreme but at the least sociopath. 6 arrests, that's alot of people involved in his killing. Very strange.

With all due respect, not many psychopaths are interested in human rights, public service or victims of trafficking.

If you read the characteristics (google David Hare, psychologist), a psychopath would more likely be attracted to trafficking people for profit, not saving them.

Why is everyone so down on this woman. I admire her accomplishments. Completing an advanced degree at a state university is not quite the same as completing a degree at Cambridge.

I hope she had nothing to do with DM’s death because of the two children, but even so, I still admire her empathy for victims of trafficking. Human rights lawyers do not get famous and rich. Neither do law professors, in the sense of being internationally known, outside of their academic circles. They seemed like a good match, but even best friends of the same sex can become competitive and jealous. Marriages and friendships seem to work best when only one person is clamoring for the limelight

True, a law professor might be especially inclined to snear if someone chose to write a novel instead of a legal paper.

The part that gets me is "he told me he was the only one who knew the truth about what a bad person I was". I don't think anyone well educated/well socialized says that, not even "bad dog." To me, that's coming from someone's own head: "if I'm not perfect, that must mean I'm completely bad. Gack, this is intolerable." With certain people I know, the slightest, gentlest, mildest criticism causes them to get out the nuclear bombs in retaliation.

IF, big IF, DM said that, it would be a put-down, not criticism. It is a common tactic used by abusers as a means to control another person by keeping them a little off balance. People do it to each other all the time, not just couples. My point is that abuse is about control and has nothing to do with education or social class. Controlling people are everywhere

If only the " car burglar" Garcia, stuck to stealing Daniel's car and (allegedly) not his life.
The car DM drove was/is one of the most frequently stolen vehicles at the time of his death, to the present.

http://www.cjnews.com/news/international/man-charged-murder-toronto-law-professor-dan-markel
“Danny was a person of strong principles and strong opinions,” said his sister, Shelly Markel. “Intelligent and articulate, he was proud of all his accomplishments, but there was one thing that towered above his pride; his commitment and love for his boys, Benjamin and Lincoln… He always knew his priority was his boys.”

According to the Tallahassee Democrat, Garcia’s previous arrests were for assaulting a police officer, aggravated assault with a weapon and car burglary among other charges.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../why-car-thieves-love-to-steal-honda-accords/

Why car thieves love to steal Honda Accords
Ever get a sinking feeling when you’re looking for your car in a parking lot and can’t find it? If you drive a Honda Accord, you are more likely than those who drive other cars to find an empty spot where your car used to be.

One suspect arrested, no other information from police.
Given the TOS why is this discussion now okay?

"The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them."

I knew both of them, and I cannot wait to have closure. I keep wanting to write things here, but it's pointless to speculate. They were both complex people. He was not perfect, and became very angry and litigious when she filed for divorce. He really put his lawyer hat on. But both had moved on at the time of his death, and the worst of the legal wrangling was over. It makes no sense. I pray for justice and closure for everyone involved.

Welcome Cutie! :welcome:

So sorry for the loss of your friend. Must be difficult...

IMHO

https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/publ...ine_searches/search_courts/search_by_name.asp

I looked this up but didn't pay to receive or view the motions, but there was something going on around the middle of July 2014.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Someone commented that they would be very upset if their spouse didn't read the book they had written. I can tell you from personal experience, my DH has written two books (one published) and I have read neither, have no desire to read either, and it doesn't bother him one whit. I am not remotely interested in the topics that they are about, and he knows this and wouldn't expect me to. On the flip side, I've written a couple of things (nothing large published yet) and he hasn't looked at any of them. We did, however, help each other when asked, when struggling for the best phrasing or bouncing something off each other in terms of how it sounded. Neither one of us cares that the other hasn't read our work- but then again, neither one of us (hopefully) has a need for perpetual validation. (I am not saying that either DM or WM had such a need).

Someone commented that they would be very upset if their spouse didn't read the book they had written. I can tell you from personal experience, my DH has written two books (one published) and I have read neither, have no desire to read either, and it doesn't bother him one whit. I am not remotely interested in the topics that they are about, and he knows this and wouldn't expect me to. On the flip side, I've written a couple of things (nothing large published yet) and he hasn't looked at any of them. We did, however, help each other when asked, when struggling for the best phrasing or bouncing something off each other in terms of how it sounded. Neither one of us cares that the other hasn't read our work- but then again, neither one of us (hopefully) has a need for perpetual validation. (I am not saying that either DM or WM had such a need).

Interesting perspective (and I was the one who originally posted it). Admittedly, I've never been in the position so I was projecting! :)

Razz, looks interesting, but cannot seem to access link- can you give a hint? P&T.
You need to click at the bottom of the page that you agree. Then put Markel ' s name in the civil blanks. Go to 2014. I have no idea what the motions or counter motions were about but it seems like a lot of activity during that time.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

With all due respect, not many psychopaths are interested in human rights, public service or victims of trafficking.

If you read the characteristics (google David Hare, psychologist), a psychopath would more likely be attracted to trafficking people for profit, not saving them.

Why is everyone so down on this woman. I admire her accomplishments. Completing an advanced degree at a state university is not quite the same as completing a degree at Cambridge.

I hope she had nothing to do with DM’s death because of the two children, but even so, I still admire her empathy for victims of trafficking. Human rights lawyers do not get famous and rich. Neither do law professors, in the sense of being internationally known, outside of their academic circles. They seemed like a good match, but even best friends of the same sex can become competitive and jealous. Marriages and friendships seem to work best when only one person is clamoring for the limelight

I'm sure there are many psychopaths in human rights jobs. It's a job. She wanted recognition and IMO does not seem sincere. Maybe she is but all in all what she did and her words against the father of her children does not show one iota of empathy.

https://cvweb.clerk.leon.fl.us/publ...ine_searches/search_courts/search_by_name.asp

I looked this up but didn't pay to receive or view the motions, but there was something going on around the middle of July 2014.

It's very possible I'm overlooking something, but using this link & Dan's name, I see 2 different civil actions. One is the dissolution of marriage from 2012 and the second is after Dan's death where his heirs and beneficiaries are getting his affairs in order. Is the second set of actions the one you're talking about?

This is interesting, that you say they had both moved on. Seems like the usual pattern in a divorce. jmo

Glad you are here Cutie and I hope for justice and closure for all involved as well. Seems like a fairytale turned nightmare.

Personally if you are still fighting over custody and one person wants sole custody and a move to Miami and a Judge says "no" and sides with the other parent, I really don't think they moved on. Yes they may have moved on in regards to a love interest but things seem to have been pretty intense in the custody department.

What I find questionable is why she would even bring up the discussion about Dan telling her everyone thought she was all smiles but Dan knew the real her (paraphrasing)? Isn't that telling on herself, who she really is on a one-to-one relationship? Many people show one face to the public, yet have an entirely different face at home. Why tell this? Is this the only thing that bothered her in their marriage? Did Dan telling her the truth really bug her? To me, it says she really put on a "false persona" out in public from his point of view.

The statement that really jumped out was that she didn't marry him with physical love, that goes away after marriage anyway. Wow!! Lady, you went into this marriage with a false idea of the meaning of love and marriage! She said she was in her mid-twenties when they married. Truthfully, she saw her biological clock running out, wanted children, wanted a successful Jewish man, and Dan filled those qualities. My speculation only!!

It makes me sad when a woman uses a man to fulfill her dreams, then dumps him. There are two sides to every story. The sad thing in this story is the father was killed. By whom and for what reason, we will know eventually. I still say it is over the divorce.

my opinions only.

Jim Lewis, Garcia's lawyer says his client is innocent and once Garcia returns to Leon County there won't be enough evidence to hold him without bond. Since the drug charges have been dropped I would say there must be plenty of evidence to keep him. I think someone turned Garcia in for the $125,000 reward and they probably have Garcia on tape talking about the murder. Then they probably got more evidence after that, such as follow the money trail as to who paid him ect... Just my guess.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/05/31/garcias-attorney-maintains-his-innocence/85191464/

New story -- attorney for the arrested suspect says his client maintains his innocence and will move to be released on bond -- wonder where the $$$ are coming from. Looks like they are not flipping this guy easily. Curious to know why the cocaine charges are being dropped:

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/05/31/garcias-attorney-maintains-his-innocence/85191464/

Because they have so much evidence that LE does not need the drug charge IMO. I imagine those connected to this murder are feeling the heat and will slip up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorthernMIguy