GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this completely. I was friends with him for many years, but only knew of her, although of course we have many mutual friends. I do not believe she had anything to do with this. It is worth noting that several friends and colleagues who were very close to Dan are still apparently friends with Wendi. And I believe that his mom has even visited Wendi in recent months. If Wendi is innocent -- and I believe she is -- I feel awful for the damage to her professional and personal reputations.

Bottom line, I waver between thinking this is related to his work -- not the rabbi case, but other research that would have had far higher stakes for those involved, and would explain some of the seemingly preferential treatment given the alleged hit man for his past crimes -- and another personal angle, which has not been explored on these boards, but which was my first theory two years ago. I think we need to dig deeper than the cliched ex-spouse, and I hope and pray that LE is doing the same thing.
So, what was/is your theory that has not been examined or mentioned by WS? And/or what other theories do you have that would have made DM a target?

I think it's great Dan's mother visited with WA.....but, she is the grandmother of her son's 2 boys.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I agree with this completely. I was friends with him for many years, but only knew of her, although of course we have many mutual friends. I do not believe she had anything to do with this. It is worth noting that several friends and colleagues who were very close to Dan are still apparently friends with Wendi. And I believe that his mom has even visited Wendi in recent months. If Wendi is innocent -- and I believe she is -- I feel awful for the damage to her professional and personal reputations.

Bottom line, I waver between thinking this is related to his work -- not the rabbi case, but other research that would have had far higher stakes for those involved, and would explain some of the seemingly preferential treatment given the alleged hit man for his past crimes -- and another personal angle, which has not been explored on these boards, but which was my first theory two years ago. I think we need to dig deeper than the cliched ex-spouse, and I hope and pray that LE is doing the same thing.

Care to share what your theory is of the other "personal angle?" Or the "other research that would have had far higher stakes for those involved" and explain the "preferential treatment given the alleged hit man?"

If there's one thing I detest about this forum it's people who post just to say "I have a solid theory and I have information to support it," but refuse to divulge it (or why). I don't understand the motive behind that.

(Snipped by me) If people do wonder about her it's due to her actions and own words. Calling Dan her latex husband, sounding gleeful when talking about his death and saying Dan knew the true Wendi that she "deluded everyone but him". Also taking the kids and hiding them from the father was not really the actions of a professional person in my mind. Maybe she is completely innocent, but she acts strangely to me.

(Snipped by me) If people do wonder about her it's due to her actions and own words. Calling Dan her latex husband, sounding gleeful when talking about his death and saying Dan knew the true Wendi that she "deluded everyone but him". Also taking the kids and hiding them from the father was not really the actions of a professional person in my mind. Maybe she is completely innocent, but she acts strangely to me.

Or, maybe he was a really abusive person and she's completely innocent and was protecting her kids. Maybe Dan had a very hidden, dark side to him that only very few people knew about and was what led to someone wanting to kill him.

This is not MY theory, just playing devil's advocate.

So, what was/is your theory that has not been examined or mentioned by WS? And/or what other theories do you have that would have made DM a target?

I think it's great Dan's mother visited with WA.....but, she is the grandmother of her son's 2 boys.

Yes, she is the grandmother, and no doubt, wants every opportunity to see those sweet boys. But, imoo, if Dan's mother thought WA had anything to do with her son's murder, she wouldn't have spent so much time / possibly stayed with WA.

As far as other theories....perhaps, a new love interest had a sad and jealous almost-ex. Or, perhaps, Dan's research rattled powerful people in Florida who would have a whole lot to lose if their criminal activities were uncovered. I just find it odd that a career criminal has done so little time..... Hypothetically, of course, certain official people in charge of sentencing could receive a cut of drug rings' profits in exchange for leniency....

In my gut, I just believe this is bigger than a custody dispute. But, my gut is biased and possibly naive. I never want to believe that a mother of young children could calculate the murder of her children's father, although of course, I realize that is statistically most likely.

Yes, she is the grandmother, and no doubt, wants every opportunity to see those sweet boys. But, imoo, if Dan's mother thought WA had anything to do with her son's murder, she wouldn't have spent so much time / possibly stayed with WA.

As far as other theories....perhaps, a new love interest had a sad and jealous almost-ex. Or, perhaps, Dan's research rattled powerful people in Florida who would have a whole lot to lose if their criminal activities were uncovered. I just find it odd that a career criminal has done so little time..... Hypothetically, of course, certain official people in charge of sentencing could receive a cut of drug rings' profits in exchange for leniency....

In my gut, I just believe this is bigger than a custody dispute. But, my gut is biased and possibly naive. I never want to believe that a mother of young children could calculate the murder of her children's father, although of course, I realize that is statistically most likely.

Thank you for expanding on your original thoughts. FYI my mother is afraid of my ex-husband, but if I died, she'd do anything, including being in his presence, to see her grandkids.

What was Dan researching?

Thank you for expanding on your original thoughts. FYI my mother is afraid of my ex-husband, but if I died, she'd do anything, including being in his presence, to see her grandkids.

What was Dan researching?

The focus of his research is just rumor from my perspective -- I have to be clear that I wasn't close enough to be privy to it -- but as mentioned earlier on this thread, and in various media, there was talk he was researching local judicial corruption.

And I hear you on a grandmother's love!

Many times in murder cases the relatives of the murdered people have held back and visited the possible killer just to see the kids. Very common, plus some have taped the conversations with the suspect to try and get evidence of a changing story ect. Nicole Brown's family spent time with OJ to see Sidney and Justin to name a very famous case.

Many times in murder cases the relatives of the murdered people have held back and visited the possible killer just to see the kids. Very common, plus some have taped the conversations with the suspect to try and get evidence of a changing story ect. Nicole Brown's family spent time with OJ to see Sidney and Justin to name a very famous case.

Wow -- can you imagine how sick to their stomachs they must have been during those encounters?

I feel so deeply for the victims' families.

The focus of his research is just rumor from my perspective -- I have to be clear that I wasn't close enough to be privy to it -- but as mentioned earlier on this thread, and in various media, there was talk he was researching local judicial corruption.

Well, if he was murdered for something "bigger" than a domestic dispute (and "5 or 6 more arrests" does tend to support that possibility), I'd be the first to apologize to WA for my suspicions and criticism of her. I'm an ex wife and have had many disputes with my ex-husband about custody and support/money issues. And if he died, I'm sure some people would be like, "she's not upset! They were always in conflict! She must have done it!" I get how it would be hard to A. BE upset and B. ACT upset if you no longer had love for the person and only animosity over the ongoing battles. How exactly are you supposed to act, especially if you'd both moved on to other romantic unions? Their split was still fresh so I doubt they were yet in that place of harmony that some couples get to....I get that, totally. More than I'd like to! :)

After reading your post, as an "insider," I'm more inclined to open my mind to other possiblities outside of something directly (Between DM and WA) related. Possibly still domestic in nature, or maybe more complex, but my mind is more open now.

Social deviance and an unstable, antisocial lifestyle are crucial in determining the diagnosis of psychopathy and there simply is no evidence of that. Quite the opposite.
But just because someone might not meet the criteria for that diagnosis, does not mean that they are not capable of planning a murder.

I am only trying to help.
(Mod snip)

Actually, social deviance and an unstable antisocial lifestyle are NOT crucial in determining psychopathy that I can find. While they may be traits on the list of characteristics, they are in no way always present. In fact, there has been much study recently on the number of well-educated, successful, charming, "winners" that have enough of the "diagnostic" traits to be considered full-fledged psychopaths. It is surmised this is EXACTLY what makes them successful.

I am in no way saying that Dan's wife falls into this category. Obviously, I haven't the slightest idea. I am just saying that it is well known that psychopaths can be wolves in sheep's clothing. And very successful and charming. And never commit crimes. And sometimes never revealed for who they really are except by those closest to them. Or perhaps never by anyone.

I think it's safe to say Dan had plenty of friends who haven't gone out of their way to rally around his ex wife. It was a bitter, contentious divorce and I imagine any mutual friends they had picked their allegiance at that time. I honestly can't imagine Dan or Wendi keeping friends with anyone who professed to remain neutral during such a traumatic, life altering event. I really can't.

I suppose any theory is possible but not every theory is plausible. Dan Markel simply did not run in circles with the type of people who would want him physically dead. He enraged a lot of people, no doubt, but those individuals would attempt to assassinate his character & his reputation - NOT have him assassinated in his driveway. ‎
‎
In Jewish families, when grandchildren are involved, grandparents will do whatever necessary in order to remain a part of those grandkids lives --- even if they suspect an inlaw of having murdered their son or daughter.

My opinion only. ‎

I agree. I don't get the feeling that the rabbis case was "it", the cause for his murder, but who knows ? And I also am not convinced that his former wife had him murdered. When she gets measured for the orange jump suit, I will be more convinced. I had mentioned the Tom Wales case as it reminded me of DM's murder. Something in both cases that has not yet come to light. but jmo. Not saying that the two cases are connected,jmo

I was not suprised that a "murder for hire" as the police have described it would involve at least 5 people. You have the 1) person suggesting it, 2) a person who then suggests it to 3). someone who may know of 4).someone that would know of 5).someone who would do it,6). then the person actually contracting with 7) someone to do it, and then maybe a 8) a .buddy who went along as a lookout.
Sorry, I went a tad overboard but I can't imagine it's easy to hire someone to murder someone. Especially a person of some stature.

Are there usually that many arrests with a murder for hire situation ?

ND2014, I too was friends with Dan in law school and kept in touch afterwards and did not know her. I had read a few references to local judicial corruption and certainly this killer's ability to avoid prison makes one suspicious, but my sense of Dan was that most of his research was much more high brow (such as theories of criminal punishment), and local judicial corruption seems an unlikely focal point for someone like him who published in top national law journals. But I certainly do hope for the sake of the kids that no family connection exists.

Are there usually that many arrests with a murder for hire situation ?
I just can't imagine it's an easy thing to do. Especially if you're a novice. I mean, how do you even begin the hunt for someone?

ND2014, I too was friends with Dan in law school and kept in touch afterwards and did not know her. I had read a few references to local judicial corruption and certainly this killer's ability to avoid prison makes one suspicious, but my sense of Dan was that most of his research was much more high brow (such as theories of criminal punishment), and local judicial corruption seems an unlikely focal point for someone like him who published in top national law journals. But I certainly do hope for the sake of the kids that no family connection exists.

I agree, misterb. His research was very theoretical. But Dan was so curious and so smart about so many things. And these rumors piqued my interest because they actually make sense to me as to why someone would pay to have him killed. Nothing else does at the moment. And as I stated earlier, I have an admitted bias in hoping that a mother of two young children is not responsible. Here's to justice for our mutual friend!

I just can't imagine it's an easy thing to do. Especially if you're a novice. I mean, how do you even begin the hunt for someone?

IDK, but what often seems to happen when 'a novice" asks someone to do murder for money is that the person approached calls LE...that's that. I guess a criminal defense lawyer would know some contacts in this line of work ? jmo

I agree, misterb. His research was very theoretical. But Dan was so curious and so smart about so many things. And these rumors piqued my interest because they actually make sense to me as to why someone would pay to have him killed. Nothing else does at the moment. And as I stated earlier, I have an admitted bias in hoping that a mother of two young children is not responsible. Here's to justice for our mutual friend!
I tried googling Markel with all sorts of judicial improprities and came up with nothing. I don't recall it being mentioned in this thread. Doesn't mean he didn't but when did he have time to do the research and investigation?!
And if he did, where is that investigation?

I don't know that I think Wendi was involved. The hit man's timing was impeccable....it was accomplished while the boys were in preschool. The deed was done when the kids wouldn't witness the horror of their father's brutal murder. But....it was done during Dan's week to have the boys. A mother isn't going to take that chance. Better to have him murdered when she has the kids so she knows they're safe.

Someone knew where Dan lived, what his habits were, when the kids would be in school, and when he would be returning home...alone.

Who else would know this? (Leaving Wendi out of the equation). Cohorts, family, students, judges? And who would know how to hook up
with a hitman like Garcia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members