GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried googling Markel with all sorts of judicial improprities and came up with nothing. I don't recall it being mentioned in this thread. Doesn't mean he didn't but when did he have time to do the research and investigation?!
And if he did, where is that investigation?

I don't know how to link, but I think it was brought up on page 28 of this thread. And if you google his name and "judicial corruption" you'll come up with some rumors. That's all they are, at this point. I wasn't privy to his research at the time. It's just an interesting possibility that would explain a lot, imo.

Edited to add: And to respond to the second part of your question, IMOO, if one of the co-researchers/investigators was murdered by a probable hit man, that would have a chilling effect on the research..... again, just my opinion, as this case makes so little sense.

I'm just still trying to imagine a scenario in which a hit man was arrested, it was mentioned that many more people would be arrested, yet several days later nobody has been....and wtf?? Why not? What are they waiting for?

I don't know how to link, but I think it was brought up on page 28 of this thread. And if you google his name and "judicial corruption" you'll come up with some rumors. That's all they are, at this point. I wasn't privy to his research at the time. It's just an interesting possibility that would explain a lot, imo.

Edited to add: And to respond to the second part of your question, IMOO, if one of the co-researchers/investigators was murdered by a probable hit man, that would have a chilling effect on the research..... again, just my opinion, as this case makes so little sense.

Thinking this is the post you might be referring to- by Jersey Girl
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...18-July-2014-*arrest*&p=11716236#post11716236

Hello learnedhand and welcome to websleuths! In the beginning of this case, I came across something (not sure but think it was on prawfsblawg) that made me wonder about a professional/insider hit. Is there any truth to Dan secretly investigating and gathering data on crooked judges and lawyers...bribes, unfair & illegal padded evidence used to tilt cases, cops that go along with it, etc? Was he in the middle of investigating some cases in which he believed the evidence submitted was falsified, including records, just to secure a guilty verdict and that some incarcerated persons were maybe innocent? Was he investigating the political aspect of this as well?

Are there usually that many arrests with a murder for hire situation ?
The Seivers case... husband arrested, his BFF who killed her, and the BFF's sidekick, so there's one with 3. In that case there was speculation about a possible girlfriend, and how much the BFF's wife knew...

So, yes, I could see a scenario where there were that many arrests, especially if some were for accessory before or after.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm just still trying to imagine a scenario in which a hit man was arrested, it was mentioned that many more people would be arrested, yet several days later nobody has been....and wtf?? Why not? What are they waiting for?
Again, in the Seivers case, the BFF and his sidekick were arrested first and the husband not for another 5 or 6 months. They may feel they have enough evidence to convict the actual killer, but still be collecting evidence to tie the killer conclusively to the person who hired him.

I am still quite curious as to how LE picked up Garcia and charged him with murder. Makes me think they have some solid evidence, and that someone talked. :banghead:

IMHO

Again, in the Seivers case, the BFF and his sidekick were arrested first and the husband not for another 5 or 6 months. They may feel they have enough evidence to convict the actual killer, but still be collecting evidence to tie the killer conclusively to the person who hired him.

True.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Seivers case... husband arrested, his BFF who killed her, and the BFF's sidekick, so there's one with 3. In that case there was speculation about a possible girlfriend, and how much the BFF's wife knew...

So, yes, I could see a scenario where there were that many arrests, especially if some were for accessory before or after.

Didn't follow the case. Three isn't six,though jmo

Didn't follow the case. Three isn't six,though jmo
Yes. Six is a lot. And in the Sievers case they never said at the first arrest that it was a murder for hire. Of course it was speculated since he was a family friend.

Yes. Six is a lot. And in the Sievers case they never said at the first arrest that it was a murder for hire. Of course it was speculated since he was a family friend.

could make sense if it was six...the more people involved,the more likely someone is to talk about it ? jmo

I'm still surprised there weren't more arrests in that one. It sure looks like the wife and girlfriend of the killers were accessories.

I think we need to dig deeper than the cliched ex-spouse, and I hope and pray that LE is doing the same thing.

I was thinking about this topic more generally a while ago. There are of course different types of people on websleuths and one major distinction, I think, are between what I might call the creatives and the analyzers. The creatives, it seems to me, like to use their imaginations to generate scenarios, and they often favour whatever scenario would lead to optimistic outcomes (although there's a subset who prefer the more negative options of conspiracy, etc). They then see how the scenario fits the case, and maybe go looking for evidence to bolster it.

The analyzers don't generate scenarios so much as look closely at whatever evidence is available, and try to draw conclusions from it that create more or less reliable scenarios.

So for myself as an analyzer, examining the evidence is what I do. If there's no evidence available (because of course LE don't share it), then I don't post.

The fact that a bunch of public domain evidence became available written by the ex-spouse is probably why a whole lot of people began posting about her. Most of it was around what her statements actually meant, since they were very indirect. To me, none of it provides reliable evidence about anything to do with the murder.

I've been reading here with great interest since the arrest and I'm a bit confused as to why the "get gang" theory is being summarily dismissed... I mean, those Rabbis were running nothing short of an organized crime ring...using sadistic torture on "recalcitrant Jewish husbands" in order for them to "give a get" to their divorcing wives...the ringleader was referred to as "the prodfather"... while using tazers to genitals they were draining the victims' bank accounts of thousands of dollars to collect their "fee"...supposedly DM's client was the number two guy and didn't participate in the torture itself but handled the paperwork of the "get"...the gangs bust/sting came down in October 2013 but it had been going on for 15-20 years...
http://daattorah.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-rabbis-tale-of-abuduction-torture.html
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/12/rabbi_sentenced_to_38_months_in_jail_in_extortion-.html

IMO, I would guess that DM and WA first learned of the "get gang" while in New York before moving to Tallahassee...and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason WA suddenly moved away with the children was because she saw DM getting involved with it...even though she split from DM the year before the Rabbi bust it's still conceivable DM could have met with his client and it scared her ...as far as motive for the gang leader/prodfather to hire a hit on DM, well he might not have appreciated the legal advice the number 2 guy in the gang was receiving from DM and wanted to eliminate him...

but I can't help but think of something else...IMO, these rabbis considered themselves experts on Jewish matrimonial law and committed these horrific acts on behalf of their religion and desperate wives who were no longer getting their way with estranged husbands ...oddly enough I haven't yet read about any wives being held accountable for the torture... but, my mind keeps wondering if DM had given WA a "get"?... and if her recent loss in court to move away with the boys could have motivated anybody wanting to help her?

I've been reading here with great interest since the arrest and I'm a bit confused as to why the "get gang" theory is being summarily dismissed... I mean, those Rabbis were running nothing short of an organized crime ring...using sadistic torture on "recalcitrant Jewish husbands" in order for them to "give a get" to their divorcing wives...the ringleader was referred to as "the prodfather"... while using tazers to genitals they were draining the victims' bank accounts of thousands of dollars to collect their "fee"...supposedly DM's client was the number two guy and didn't participate in the torture itself but handled the paperwork of the "get"...the gangs bust/sting came down in October 2013 but it had been going on for 15-20 years...
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2015/12/rabbi_sentenced_to_38_months_in_jail_in_extortion-.html

IMO, I would guess that DM and WA first learned of the "get gang" while in New York before moving to Tallahassee...and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason WA suddenly moved away with the children was because she saw DM getting involved with it...even though she split from DM the year before the Rabbi bust it's still conceivable DM could have met with his client and it scared her ...as far as motive for the gang leader/prodfather to hire a hit on DM, well he might not have appreciated the legal advice the number 2 guy in the gang was receiving from DM and wanted to eliminate him...

but I can't help but think of something else...IMO, these rabbis considered themselves experts on Jewish matrimonial law and committed these horrific acts on behalf of their religion and desperate wives who were no longer getting their way with estranged husbands ...oddly enough I haven't yet read about any wives being held accountable for the torture... but, my mind keeps wondering if DM had given WA a "get"?... and if her recent loss in court to move away with the boys could have motivated anybody wanting to help her?
My very elementary understanding of this "get" made me wonder the same thing.

Agreed. 6 is a lot. In other cases. Exes and ex in laws have been implicated in things. But I'm not saying that happened here.

I was thinking about this topic more generally a while ago. There are of course different types of people on websleuths and one major distinction, I think, are between what I might call the creatives and the analyzers. The creatives, it seems to me, like to use their imaginations to generate scenarios, and they often favour whatever scenario would lead to optimistic outcomes (although there's a subset who prefer the more negative options of conspiracy, etc). They then see how the scenario fits the case, and maybe go looking for evidence to bolster it.

The analyzers don't generate scenarios so much as look closely at whatever evidence is available, and try to draw conclusions from it that create more or less reliable scenarios.

So for myself as an analyzer, examining the evidence is what I do. If there's no evidence available (because of course LE don't share it), then I don't post.

The fact that a bunch of public domain evidence became available written by the ex-spouse is probably why a whole lot of people began posting about her. Most of it was around what her statements actually meant, since they were very indirect. To me, none of it provides reliable evidence about anything to do with the murder.

The Latex comment would have her found guilty alone. Jmo. But you are right. No actual facts of involvement for now.

I think someone took things in their own hands and left her out of it as much as possible. But she knows in my honest opinion. Jmo.

The Latex comment would have her found guilty alone. Jmo. But you are right. No actual facts of involvement for now.

I think someone took things in their own hands and left her out of it as much as possible. But she knows in my honest opinion. Jmo.
I agree.

My very elementary understanding of this "get" made me wonder the same thing.

I seen a episode of the Sopranos where they demostrated the best way to get the Get. But they insist that you cant kill the person because it is a taboo.

So Tony Sopranos was thinking of ways to get the guy to sign it. Lol. So he threatened to cut off his you know what and that Get was signed.

But then the Father in law tried to chizzle Tony out of the agreed deal. Lol.

I loved that episode. Sorry for the O/T.

So here are some things about the get in Judaism. Reformist Judaism does not require it but orthodox and conservative Judaism do. The couple was married in a reformist Judaism synagogue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/fashion/weddings/26adel.html?_r=0

https://www.cbiboca.org/about-cbi/history/

But the synagogue Dan was attending at the time of his death was a conservative Judaism synagogue:

http://www.shomreitorahonline.org/about/8-about-shomrei-torah

Wendi would need a get to be remarried in a conservative or orthodox synagogue but not a reformist one so not sure how important it would be to her. Given the contentious divorce it is possible that he may have decided not to give her the get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980