GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been able to find Sigfredo Garcia's Facebook page, if he has one? There are a lot of Sigfredo Garcias and I
m not sure which one is the right one. Maybe we can find a connection there...

From dotr's post above: Sources close to the investigation say Markel was killed in a murder-for-hire plot and that more arrests are expected.

Finally.

I joined Websleuths for the Missy Bevers case, but the Markel case is one I've been interested in. If it is in fact a hired hit, is there anyone besides the estranged wife who would be a suspect?

Anyone that helped, boyfriend, family ect IMO

Well, well, well. I've had guests since last night and just now checked here. Yep, it's gonna be a bumpy ride, but not for us!! Love it!!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Razz, I've been waiting for you to come on here. Hey, now we can stop figuring this out and know that they are going to! When I saw this arrest, I was shocked. They have been doing some serious investigating. Now to see how this came about.

Razz, I've been waiting for you to come on here. Hey, now we can stop figuring this out and know that they are going to! When I saw this arrest, I was shocked. They have been doing some serious investigating. Now to see how this came about.
YES! When they said the Prius may have been stolen, I think they had a clue then. Wow! Can hardly wait to see what else comes of this.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

If it is in fact a hired hit, is there anyone besides the estranged wife who would be a suspect?

Yes, there were at least three very different avenues that were considered possibilities: 2 were personal, and 1 was related to a controversial case he was working on in NY. I don't have the media links handy, but they should not be hard to find via Google.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/us/dan-markel-arrest-2014-murder-of-law-professor.html

Mr. Markel was a professor at the Florida State University College of Law and a leader in the world of online legal scholarship.

Mr. Garcia was arrested at a gas station in Hallandale Beach, just north of Miami, according to a spokeswoman for the department, Maj. Sonia Quinones.

“This is still an active criminal investigation,” Chief Michael DeLeo of the Tallahassee police said in a news conference on Thursday. “We are not finished yet.”

The Tallahassee Democrat, citing records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, reported that Mr. Garcia had been arrested at least 22 times in Florida. His first arrest, for vehicle theft, happened in Miami in 1997, just before his 15th birthday.

He was arrested several other times as a teenager and as an adult, with charges that included aggravated assault with a weapon, criminal mischief, possession of cocaine and marijuana, and strong arm robbery, the records showed.

Snip>

When asked by the judge if he knew he had a warrant for his arrest, Mr. Garcia replied “no.”

ND2014.....I too am so sorry for the loss of your friend Dan. I have followed this thread from the first day and am so pleased to FINALLY see an arrest! Dan seemed like such a good guy.

Wow, everyone who swore Dan's murder was a murder-for-hire were apparently right. Great job all you sleuths! Love reading your posts.

Yes, there were at least three very different avenues that were considered possibilities: 2 were personal, and 1 was related to a controversial case he was working on in NY. I don't have the media links handy, but they should not be hard to find via Google.

interesting. I wonder about the case in NY. I think it is probably something more personal though. We shall see.

interesting. I wonder about the case in NY. I think it is probably something more personal though. We shall see.

I believe it's this New Jersey case

Eyewitness News has also confirmed Markel was hired as a consultant in a New Jersey case involving four Orthodox rabbis.They're accused of conspiring to kidnap and force Jewish men to grant their wives religious divorces.

According to the U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, two of the rabbis were recorded discussing plans to kidnap and torture victims.

For one particular target, those plans included kidnapping the victim in a van and assaulting him with a cattle prod.

New York attorney Benjamin Brafman, who represents one of the rabbis, says he recently hired Markel as an expert on conspiracy law.

Brafman says his client is being monitored by ankle bracelet as he awaits trial.

He says the rabbis' case has no connection to Markel's murder.
http://www.wctv.tv/news/bigstories/...tigate-Shooting-on-Trescott-Dr-267684731.html

:copcar::busted::copcar:

Very excited to hear this news, and congrats to LE in Tallahassee, Miami, Hallandale, and any other jurisdictions involved in making this important arrest.

My sincere sympathy to Dan Markel's friends, family, and children left behind. I hope this arrest will bring about closure for them.

I almost fell off my chair just now when I saw "arrest" added to the thread title. I honestly thought this case might go cold. I am so glad to see an arrest and am insanely curious to see how this plays out.

WOW. Wonder if NG will feature news of arrest. I'm a FSU graduate and remembered the case was national news. So sorry for the loss, grateful for arrest.

A 34-year-old man by the name of Sigfredo Garcia has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder in connection with the 2014 killing of Florida State University law professor Dan Markel.

attachment.php

As TPD officials explained at their press conference this morning, a probable cause affidavit for Garcia got approved last night, and authorities arrested him in Broward County, just north of Miami, at 9:11 p.m. yesterday. He is being held in custody pending extradition to Leon County, where Tallahassee is located.[FONT=proxima_nova]

Sources close to the investigation say Markel was killed in a murder-for-hire plot and that more arrests are expected.[/FONT]

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/05/more-details-about-the-arrest-in-the-killing-of-dan-markel/

Attachments

• Sigfredo-Garcia.png
    Sigfredo-Garcia.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 308
The people involved with the jersey case probably had the capability of wanting DM killed,if he had somehow thwarted them. . To connect them to a guy like SG might be very difficult. jmo

He was hired by the attorney representing a Rabbi. He was working for the defense against the Justice Dept.

Sad irony that the dullest knife could take down the sharpest.
imo, speculation.
rbbm.

http://www.recorderonline.com/news/...cle_591e0cb6-cf52-58a4-8556-900547595526.html
When he appeared in court, Garcia declined a public defender. He told Judge Mary Rudd Robinson he has a lawyer, but just met him Wednesday and couldn't remember the name. He said he put the lawyer's card in his wallet, which had been confiscated.

"I didn't know I needed one until yesterday," Garcia told the judge. Robinson then asked him: "You didn't know you had a murder warrant?" she replied. He told her no.

The judge ordered he be given access to his wallet so he could contact his attorney.

If they know it is a murder for hire plot/arrest, they must know who hired him. So, why no second (or more) arrest yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper