GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In some divorce cases both spouses agree not to divulge or make public abuse or infidelity. because to do so would harm the professional career of the abusing or unfaithful spouse. Not saying that happened here but it could have. No idea why DM's wife wanted to move down to Miami. jmo

"Adelson asked a judge for permission to relocate with the kids to South Florida, where her family lived and she had been offered a job at a private law firm. Her request was denied."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article1977142.html#storylink=cpy

Was so happy to hear of the arrest on last night's news. I knew everyone on ws's would be on it right away. Reporter stated 6 arrests to follow. Can't wait to see justice in this case. Thanks for the dogged work of LE.

There are two principle motives that most murders can be ascribed to: A) gain, financially or otherwise by someone's demise or B) revenge, getting even, punishing someone. Every situation where a "hit man" has been hired that I am aware of involves A. Revenge may be sweet but it is pretty much a hands on crime. I just don't believe a disgruntled former student or a sorehead ex- husband whose wife was granted a get is going to pay someone big bucks ( and risk the death penalty) to " get even" with Dan. There was serious motive behind this. Sounds like it will come out soon enough.

Like the rest of you, I've seen and read the statement from Dan's ex-wife. Whether she's involved or not, she has to come out with a statement. However, she surely doesn't believe that the rest of us can miss the coincidence/irony that she moved to the exact same city--500 miles away!!!--where the shooter was captured.

But, to be honest, I'm really hoping she and her family had nothing to do with this. I'm hoping it was something outside the family because the children don't deserve what these adults may have conjured up.

Two men talk about the way Gracia was arrested at the Exxon gas station. They had been sitting under some trees at the station when 10 cars swarmed the station. Two local police cars, the rest were "under cover" cars,some people with FBI and DEA tagged shirts. Gracia's car was emptied right in the parking lot. The men says LE was there for hours, shutting the station down. Garcia had luggage in the back seat, my guess he was making a run/escape and they were following him. I can not wait until the rest of the arrests.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ed-garcia-during-arrest-markel-case/85064706/

I thought this was interesting. If you look at the second post -- the one about the arrest -- the OP says that hopefully Dan's children will get some answers soon that will give them relief. In the comments, someone who is on the same faculty as Dan and his ex-wife were on indicates that he does not think the forthcoming answers will give the kids any relief. Interesting....

https://m.facebook.com/Justice4Dan/

I thought this was interesting. If you look at the second post -- the one about the arrest -- the OP says that hopefully Dan's children will get some answers soon that will give them relief. In the comments, someone who is on the same faculty as Dan and his ex-wife were on indicates that he does not think the forthcoming answers will give the kids any relief. Interesting....

https://m.facebook.com/Justice4Dan/

I wonder what the ex wife said on that post before she disappeared from FB.

There is a gag order so we are not likely to learn much new information until there are more arrests. In this situation, you expect them to move fast, particularly if there is a chance for others involved to high-tail it. If they are planning to offer Sigfreido a deal, it may take a while, but he is staring at a date with Old Sparky so he will probably come around.

It isn't unheard of for a lawyer to get caught up in something and be murdered for "work related" issues but Dan taught law and consulted with other Law Schools and lawyers. It seems unlikely that he would be involved in anything that would get him killed but you never know.

There is a lot of gossip about his divorce out in cyberspace but nothing that would suggest murder. His ex, Wendi Adelson is the daughter of Harvey Adelson who has a dental practice in Tamarac Fl, which is a working class suburb in Brossard County, about twenty miles north of Miami. She grew up in Coral Springs which is upscale but hardly where the very rich would live.

She had an impressive academic background which suggests both smarts and ambition. She became a "Clinical Professor" at the Center for Public Interest Law without ever practicing law. Posters have suggested that this wasn't a real professorship at all; more like a "cupcake" job that a Law Professor might use his clout get his wife. There were indications that she was not satisfied with that and wanted to have something that was more challenging. It is possible that this had something to do with the divorce.

From what I can tell, Wendi's decision to divorce came a a shock to their friends, people in their Temple and to Dan, who claims he was totally blindsided. No one suggested adultery, domestic violence or substance abuse as a problem in their marriage but you never know what really goes on. I did detect some speculation that Wendi did not like living in the shadow of her "super star" husband and perhaps wanted to be a Star herself; at least in Legal Circles. She apparently had a particular interest is human trafficking and wrote a well received book on the subject.

The manner in which she left Dan was strange, to say the least. She had all of her belongings moved out of the house while Dan was gone and then hid the children from him for six weeks. This was probably illegal and certainly against good faith. There is no indication that she ever claimed that Dan was a threat to the children. This act would probably hurt her case to relocate with the children to Miami

It is however, unusual for a women with two pre-school aged children to initiate a divorce unless the situation at home in untenable. Setting off to make a mark in the Legal World would seem difficult if you have two young children to care for. It would seem more realistic to use her husbands support and contacts to pursue her career in Tallahassee.

Since Dan's death, she has moved to Miami Beach where she practice Health Care Law and has a blog on Human Trafficking. She has some kind of an appointment with the Florida Bar. She seems to be active in the problems of Immigrants. She does not appear to on track to become a Legal Heavyweight.

For whatever it is worth, Wendi Adelson is very attractive.

The manner in which she left Dan and hid the children is not the act of a wife dissatisfied with her marriage, it is the act of a wife who has a real or imagined fear that her husband represents a genuine threat to her children. Something was going on; perhaps just in Wendi's imagination. I'm going to speculate that she believe Dan was cheating on her and did not take it well.

I can't imagine a scenario where a seemingly intelligent and level headed woman would keep her children from her ex she's just abruptly left unless there was some kind of real or perceived abuse (or a threat of it) going on.

There was a recent episode of 24 to Life on Lifetime where a professional woman (LCSW) attempted to hire a hit man to kill her adult daughter's abusive boyfriend. It wasn't for money or revenge; it was a misguided attempt to protect her daughter and her unborn grandchild (in utero).

http://trumanscholars.org/from-tsa/wendi-adelson/
I haven't seen this here yet...at this link Wendi refers to her marriage as ill fated and says she married the wrong man that caused her to move to Tallahassee ... Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but saw this and thought it might be interesting to post here ...

The Trumanscholars link is interesting. It explains her legal career now and provides a little insight into her idealistic endeavors. She sounds more interest in "making a difference" than becoming a Big Time attorney. In it she plays down her marital problems as a matter of Dan being the "wrong man" and not finding the opportunity to practice the social activist law she hoped to pursue in Tallahassee. She offers no clues as to why she would hide her kids from Dan for six weeks. She also doesn't come across as the type to kill her husband.

I haven't seen this here yet...at this link Wendi refers to her marriage as ill fated and says she married the wrong man that caused her to move to Tallahassee ... Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but saw this and thought it might be interesting to post here ...

I agree, that's an odd thing to say. I wonder when that interview was "taken." It was published just after his death. I am divorced and my ex is an *******, but I'd never say that I "fell in love with the wrong man" because I have kids with him. I also find it odd that while still employed by FSU she was almost bragging about her other lucrative job offers she was turning down. Why the need to mention that?

I can't imagine a scenario where a seemingly intelligent and level headed woman would keep her children from her ex she's just abruptly left unless there was some kind of real or perceived abuse (or a threat of it) going on.

There was a recent episode of 24 to Life on Lifetime where a professional woman (LCSW) attempted to hire a hit man to kill her adult daughter's abusive boyfriend. It wasn't for money or revenge; it was a misguided attempt to protect her daughter and her unborn grandchild (in utero).

It happens very frequently in divorce cases, even when there is no abuse. Divorce is the most adversarial proces I can imagine, having been through it myself. It is a war for many couples, with each side fighting to get as much as possible in many cases. The divorce can be worse than the marriage was. She just decided he would not see the kids unless forced to do so by the courts, I am guessing.

You also mention "level headed woman," and you could be right that your typical level-headed mother would not do such a thing, so I have to wonder, do we know for sure his ex-wife IS level-headed? Her success in life doesn't mean she is.

Assuming she IS level-headed, with her law background, she also probably knew she could take the calculated risk of withholding the children if it was prior to a visitation order being put into place by the courts, knowing no punishment would befall her. It is a very serious offense once that order is in place, though. I don't know if she did that before then or after.

I agree, that's an odd thing to say. I wonder when that interview was "taken." It was published just after his death. I am divorced and my ex is an *******, but I'd never say that I "fell in love with the wrong man" because I have kids with him. I also find it odd that while still employed by FSU she was almost bragging about her other lucrative job offers she was turning down. Why the need to mention that?

Yes I noticed that. Also noticed her book on human trafficking that they are forcing all freshmen to read is a novel. I find that weird.

It happens very frequently in divorce cases, even when there is no abuse. Divorce is the most adversarial proces I can imagine, having been through it myself. It is a war for many couples, with each side fighting to get as much as possible in many cases. The divorce can be worse than the marriage was. She just decided he would not see the kids unless forced to do so by the courts, I am guessing.

You also mention "level headed woman," and you could be right that your typical level-headed mother would not do such a thing, so I have to wonder, do we know for sure his ex-wife IS level-headed? Her success in life doesn't mean she is.

Assuming she IS level-headed, with her law background, she also probably knew she could take the calculated risk of withholding the children if it was prior to a visitation order being put into place by yet courts, knowing no punishment would befall her. It is a very serious offense once that order is in place, though. I don't know if she did that before then or after.

I know you're right, but, as a divorced mother myself, I'm always surprised by people who try to keep the kids from the other parent for no GOOD reason :(.

Very interesting, thanks!

That she felt the need to define herself as an individual and as a doer rather than thinker is understandable but doing so by comparing herself to others and discussing her marriage was unnecessary. She also needn't have said more than Tallahassee doesn't offer the opportunities that south Florida does for the kind of work she wants to do.

She wouldn't be the first person who felt like she had little say in her life to pick up and move with no warning to a location more suitable to her career goals and one that offered more support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3