GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you think the 8-hour police interview be part of this? did they interview everyone?

Do we have any other evidence that WA was actually interrogated by the police for several hours after the murder other than her own statement on the writer's workshop podcast? No actual news sources reported this - it would have been confidential, obviously. I know I could be wrong and many will disagree, but I think WA was lying on the podcast about sitting through an eight hour interrogation. It just doesn't make sense to me. She's not stupid and even if she was completely innocent I don't think a lawyer with her experience would submit to an interrogation like that. I sure wouldn't. She was represented at the time by Jimmy Judkins, an experienced and well-respected criminal defense lawyer. I highly doubt he would allow his client to submit to any interrogation, much less one that was in any way accusatory. He might have agreed to her answering some questions and he would have been present throughout the questioning - I just call BS on her being interrogated for eight hours. I think she's lying - and either she invoked her right to counsel and refused to answer any questions or she agreed to some questioning and then, as a prudent lawyer should have, cut it off well before it turned accusatory.

Well, the interrogation must have been a few hours anyway- Although LE said the A's were not really talking.
WA must have been very eager for the children to be picked up from daycare. imo.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fsu-professor-talking-cell-phone-shooting-happened/story?id=24737462
“Is it possible his scholarship and literature created some enemies? It’s as possible as any of the other scenarios,” Garcia said.

Markel left behind two young sons and an ex-wife, Wendi Jill Adelson, also an FSU professor. Their divorce was acrimonious, punctuated by dozens of court dockets, hearings and a protracted custody battle over their two boys. Markel described the day Adelson left him as his “Pearl Harbor,” friends told ABC News. Markel told friends that, without warning, Adelson had packed up the house and the children and left while he was away on a business trip.

Police spent hours questioning Adelson, and questioned many others who knew him well, but have named no suspects.
rbbm.
Chief DeLeo did say more arrests are likely. He declined to comment on the Adelsons, except to say with a smirk, when asked if he knew their whereabouts, “We aren’t on speaking terms.”

So let’s talk about the Adelsons. Based on the emails and texts we’ve received from readers, they are a subject of great public interest right now.

It’s important to note what law enforcement authorities do not allege about the Adelsons (at least at this point in the investigation). The affidavit claims that Charles Adelson “was involved in a personal relationship” around the time of the murder with one Katherine Magbanua, who happens to be the mother of the two children of Sigfredo Garcia, one of the alleged killers. The affidavit does not allege that Wendi Adelson knew about Dan Markel’s killing in advance or had any involvement in it (and in my story yesterday, I cited some evidence suggesting a lack of knowledge by Wendi). The affidavit also does not allege advance knowledge or involvement by Wendi and Charlie Adelson’s parents, Donna Sue Adelson and Dr. Harvey J. Adelson.
rbbm.
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2016/06/anatomy-of-the-hit-on-dan-markel.html

Imo opinion. If granny mentioned her hate towards Dan while the kiddies were there.

Then Wendi was obviously feeding granny hatred things about Dan fairly and early on. Jmo.

Because granny is surrounded by money and want the best for all to keep up the Alderson worth.

So why would granny pick out Dan and not any other significant other from her other 2 boys?

Is it possible that for whatever reason. Granny and others considered Wendi as the one we need to protect since she is the only female child even though most Jews focus on the boy children first?

So does granny run the show or does the husband and sons run the show?

Quick airport post:
I've heard repeatedly that LE confiscated the A's family's passports. (Not officially reported but let's assume it's true).
Does this have any meaning? Does LE sometimes seize passports, then not indict...they just give them back and say "sorry about that?"

Quick airport post:
I've heard repeatedly that LE confiscated the A's family's passports. (Not officially reported but let's assume it's true).
Does this have any meaning? Does LE sometimes seize passports, then not indict...they just give them back and say "sorry about that?"

I believe this is a rumor. The government has to have authority under a specific law/regulation to seize a person's passport. They could not seize their passports at this point pursuant to any laws that I know about.

I have been unable to find any basis that a local law enforcement agency can confiscate anyone's passport who is not under arrest or subject to any legal action. I suppose LE could cut a deal with a criminal lawyer to not file charges if the client gives up their passport but I can not verify this is a routine practice. Does anyone know?

Quick airport post:

Vaguely recall reading that in news link, but cannot yet find at the moment, however,if it is a rumour, it may have come from the comment posted here, scroll.

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Accused-Markel-hitman-appears-before-judge-384262951.html

Although some may assume any of the possible suspects who have the means and desire to flee, might have p.ports seized, surrendered or suspended, imo.

Tallahassee Police didn’t want details of their case against a Miami man arrested in Dan Markel’s killing to be made public for fear other suspects in the murder-for-hire scheme might flee the U.S., court documents show.

“Suspected co-defendants have the financial means to flee the country and to not return, and in fact, have already been discovered talking about leaving,” TPD’s legal counsel Theresa Flury wrote in a May 26 motion that successfully sought to have Sigfredo Garcia’s arresting documents sealed.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...amily-fsu-slain-professor-20160603-story.html

I believe this is a rumor. The government has to have authority under a specific law/regulation to seize a person's passport. They could not seize their passports at this point pursuant to any laws that I know about.
I don't know how it's justified but if you Google it you can find media stories reporting that passports were seized while suspects were under investigation.

Maybe it could be a "request" that they comply with? Also, the FBI is involved here, wouldn't have to be TPD. Does that mean anything?
The media stories where passports are confiscated seem to end in the arrest of the person who had their passport taken.

I don't know how it's justified but if you Google it you find lots of media stories reporting that passports were seized while suspects were under investigation.
Such as this article.

It could be a "request" that they comply with to avoid starting legal procedures to formally revoke it. Also keep in mind that the FBI is involved here, wouldn't have to be TPD.
I can't find any media stories where passports are confiscated and they are subsequently said not to be suspects. It's always in a story that ends in the arrest of the person who had their passport taken.

Also this one, not terribly unlike the DM case in that it involved high profile people fighting about child custody ect..
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-04-06/news/mn-1481_1_newport-police
Newport Police Feared Suspect Would Flee : Aissa Wayne's Ex-Husband, Jailed in Attack, Had Passports, Europe Contacts, Officers Say
April 06, 1989
Newport Beach police said Wednesday that they arrested the wealthy Pomona physician accused of ordering an attack on his ex-wife, the daughter of actor John Wayne, because they feared that he was planning to flee the country.

Police said Thomas A. Gionis, an orthopedic surgeon, had been making telephone calls to Greece, where he has relatives, had obtained a passport for himself last January and last month obtained a passport for his 2-year-old daughter, Anastasia.

"We feared he would flee the country and take the child with him," said Sgt. Mike Jackson, one of the investigators assigned to the case.

Gionis, 35, who owns a string of five clinics from Beverly Hills to Palm Springs, was involved in an unusually bitter child-custody battle with Aissa Wayne, 32, his former wife, when the attack occurred last October.

Gionis, wearing a white dress shirt and light-blue dress pants, appeared in court without handcuffs. He was flanked by armed bailiffs as photographers shot pictures.

Through his attorney, Byron K. McMillan, Gionis surrendered his and his daughter's passports in hopes of persuading Municipal Judge Russell A. Bostrom to allow his release on bail.

Gionis was being held on a no-bail arrest warrant based on the statements by police that they believe Gionis might flee if released.

rbbm

The Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel had a big story yesterday on the divorce proceedings. It's comprehensive, but I don't see anything that hasn't already been discussed at length on this board:
"FSU law professor fought ex-wife in the courts until murderous end"
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-fsu-slain-professor-divorce-20160714-story.html

The article reports that attorney Saam Zangeneh is representing both Garcia and Rivera. But that appears to be wrong. The court web site indicates that Zangeneh represents Garcia, but that Rivera is now represented by an attorney named Charles Marcus Collins, who appears to be this guy:
http://www.collins-lawfirm.com/#!/page_blog
http://www.martindale.com/Charles-M-Collins/35857093-lawyer.htm

Garcia's case is set for a case management conference Monday, July 18 at 10:30am.

The Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel had a big story yesterday on the divorce proceedings. It's comprehensive, but I don't see anything that hasn't already been discussed at length on this board:
"FSU law professor fought ex-wife in the courts until murderous end"
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-fsu-slain-professor-divorce-20160714-story.html

The article reports that attorney Saam Zangeneh is representing both Garcia and Rivera. But that appears to be wrong. The court web site indicates that Zangeneh represents Garcia, but that Rivera is now represented by an attorney named Charles Marcus Collins, who appears to be this guy:
http://www.collins-lawfirm.com/#!/page_blog
http://www.martindale.com/Charles-M-Collins/35857093-lawyer.htm

Garcia's case is set for a case management conference Monday, July 18 at 10:30am.

Thanks for posting, missed that one- a few tidbits.
rbbm.

"The Adelsons had absolutely nothing to do with Dan Markel's murder," Michael D. Weinstein, lawyer and family friend to the Adelsons, said Saturday from Norway, where he is vacationing. "There might be other people who had motive as well.
"
In a document filed on Valentine's Day 2014, Markel accused Adelson and her attorney of not disclosing assets worth well over $200,000 on financial affidavits during the divorce. He said they had "unclean hands" for hiding a Charles Schwab bank account and retirement account.

Markel also found out that Adelson had taken family heirlooms from a joint safe deposit box, according to court documents. Among them was a 2-carat diamond ring that belonged to Markel's great-aunt, a Holocaust survivor.

Markel said Adelson never even wore that ring "because her parents insisted upon [her] being proposed to with her own grandmother's diamond ring."
For months, Markel complained that Adelson wouldn't let him Skype or Facetime with the children for 10 minutes on the days they were with her. He also didn't like that Adelson often had her mother watch the children instead of giving him the option to be with them while she attended cocktail parties, guest lectures or leadership conferences

Weinstein predicted that Garcia and Rivera would remain the sole suspects in the slaying and they would likely opt to quickly go to trial.

"I think it's going to be a speedy trial," Weinstein said. "I don't think there's going to be any more arrests."

In today's day and age, could the A's just be put on a "No Fly" status. Don't know if terrorism ties have to be apparent but this makes sense so no one has to physically remove or ask for passports. (I believe the entire family of the Orlando Pulse shooter was placed on No Fly status.)

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

In today's day and age, could the A's just be put on a "No Fly" status. Don't know if terrorism ties have to be apparent but this makes sense so no one has to physically remove or ask for passports. (I believe the entire family of the Orlando Pulse shooter was placed on No Fly status.)

they could still take a cruise get out and never come back.
I wonder if they could still run for it somehow in other way. they are rich. private plane!

they could still take a cruise get out and never come back.
I wonder if they could still run for it somehow in other way. they are rich. private plane!
I wonder if the passort, when shown, indicates this person is a flight risk and is not to be granted flight of any kind whether it be by plane or boat.

Do we have any other evidence that WA was actually interrogated by the police for several hours after the murder other than her own statement on the writer's workshop podcast?

I think the answer is "no" - I bet all the any reports of this are ultimately sourced to her podcast.

There was a lot of content in the podcast that is probably untrue. She was indignant, saying that the media was accusing her, "because it's always the ex-wife." I can't recall a single major media source in 2014 or 2015 that even insinuated that she was involved. (Some did mention the "acrimonious divorce", but in passing). The media presented this case as a crazy mystery without answers. Did anyone ever see a major media source that accused WA? There was no overzealous media accusing her of anything, but that's the version she presented.

The media have actually been pretty conservative, especially prior to Garcia's arrest. Since the PCA, there's been the divorce stuff...and the only other publicity focused on WA came from the podcast. She was the sole source for much of the negative attention that she's received.
And if that includes obvious lies, she gave public evidence against herself that the prosecution will use if she's indicted.

I think the answer is "no" - I bet all the any reports of this are ultimately sourced to her podcast.

There was a lot of content in the podcast that is probably untrue. She was indignant, saying that the media was accusing her, "because it's always the ex-wife." I can't recall a single major media source in 2014 or 2015 that even insinuated that she was involved. (Some did mention the "acrimonious divorce", but in passing). The media presented this case as a crazy mystery without answers. Did anyone ever see a major media source that accused WA? There was no overzealous media accusing her of anything, but that's the version she presented.

The media have actually been pretty conservative, especially prior to Garcia's arrest. Since the PCA, there's been the divorce stuff...and the only other publicity focused on WA came from the podcast. She was the sole source for much of the negative attention that she's received.
And if that includes obvious lies, she gave public evidence against herself that the prosecution will use if she's indicted.

Exactly! Completely agree with you here. I think at the point the podcast was recorded, she thought she was "home free"...she never thought Garcia would be arrested and the connections would be exposed, and she never thought anyone would listen to some random writers' workshop podcast. I think she presented herself and her story in the way she wanted to be perceived by her fellow workshoppers...

Exactly! Completely agree with you here. I think at the point the podcast was recorded, she thought she was "home free"...she never thought Garcia would be arrested and the connections would be exposed, and she never thought anyone would listen to some random writers' workshop podcast. I think she presented herself and her story in the way she wanted to be perceived by her fellow workshoppers...

I think maybe she wanted public exposure. She had an interviewer who didn't know anything about the murder, didn't care if WA's account was true, and wouldn't ask any hard questions. And who was willing to broadcast unverified negative stories about a murder victim. The total lack of class or sensitivity is striking even for a amateurish podcast....but might this have been seen as an opportunity? (obviously it backfired).

Most lawyers wouldn't do the podcast in this situation. So maybe she did go into the interrogation room without a lawyer. If the police interview was anything like the podcast, ouch.

Garcia set for trial November 14th according to wctv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member