GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #4 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look like Meggs' successor, Jack Campbell won the state attorney election; hope he's more aggressive about this case than his outgoing boss:

http://news.wfsu.org/post/jack-campbell-wins-state-attorneys-race

i don't want prosecutors to be too aggressive. i want them to go to war only when they have enough ammo and know for sure they can win. the defense will be strong and well-funded. double jeopardy - you only get one bite at the apple.

i don't want prosecutors to be too aggressive. i want them to go to war only when they have enough ammo and know for sure they can win. the defense will be strong and well-funded. double jeopardy - you only get one bite at the apple.

Well, at the very least, it would be nice if he didn't make public statements that give the appearance that the state doesn't have a case.

http://www.wtxl.com/news/attorneys-...cle_6e3dd85a-a77d-11e6-b8e5-6bc39cd5b1e2.html
Attorneys Request Waived Lawyer Fees for Suspect in FSU Law Professor Death

Sigfredo Garcia's attorneys filed the motion on Tuesday to request that his lawyer fees be waived due to his ex-wife Katherine Magbanua's arrest and charges as a co-defendant in the case involving Markel's death.
Garcia's next court date is a pre-trial case management hearing on Dec. 6. Magbanua is also scheduled for her own pre-trial case management hearing on the same day.

http://www.wtxl.com/news/attorneys-...cle_6e3dd85a-a77d-11e6-b8e5-6bc39cd5b1e2.html

Does anyone have a copy of the motion yet? This article makes no sense. A lawyer would not request that his own fees be waived. He doesn't want to work for free! They must be referring to a waiver of court cost filing fees or something. Garcia already filed something declaring indigence so they are obviously asking the court to pay for Akbar's fees, not for them to be waived.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/11/the-dan-markel-case-who-is-paying-the-defendants-legal-fees/
Nov 11 2016
[h=1]The Dan Markel Case: Who Is Paying The Defendants’ Legal Fees?[/h]

A small army of lawyers is working on cases related to the 2014 murder of Florida State University law professor Dan Markel. In addition to the prosecutors working under State Attorney Willie Meggs, the three defendants — confessed hitman Sigfredo Garcia, alleged hitman Luis Rivera, and accused conduit Katherine Magbanua — all have their counsel. Markel’s ex-wife, Wendi Adelson, and three members of her family — brother Charlie Adelson, and parents Harvey and Donna Adelson — all have lawyers too (and through these lawyers, the Adelsons have denied any and all involvement in Markel’s death).

When Garcia was first arrested he indicated he had just met with a lawyer, but couldn't remember the lawyers name. It made me wonder why he had just met with a lawyer- was there a leak within the system that got to him? Who provided him the name of the lawyer and encouraged him to go? If he had found the lawyer himself - likely he would have remembered the lawyers name. If the Adelsons' are paying for his lawyer - is that a conflict of interest? Certainly likely someone would give him advice based on what is best for A's and not for SG (Same for KB if that is the case.). Can the state find that out or would that be between confidential information , between lawyer, client, and who ever is funding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When Garcia was first arrested he indicated he had just met with a lawyer, but couldn't remember the lawyers name. It made me wonder why he had just met with a lawyer- was there a leak within the system that got to him? Who provided him the name of the lawyer and encouraged him to go? If he had found the lawyer himself - likely he would have remembered the lawyers name. If the Adelsons' are paying for his lawyer - is that a conflict of interest? Certainly likely someone would give him advice based on what is best for A's and not for SG (Same for KB if that is the case.). Can the state find that out or would that be between confidential information , between lawyer, client, and who ever is funding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wondering if LE arrested SG on the pretext of drug charges?

speculation.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...-professor-murder-suspect-20160526-story.html
Hallandale Beach's police report did not detail the circumstances of Garcia's arrest or how they came to encounter him at the gas station east of Interstate 95.

During a Friday morning hearing in first-appearance court, Broward County Judge Mary Rudd Robinson ordered that Garcia be held without bond. He is being held in the Broward Main Jail while he awaits extradition to Tallahassee.
Garcia said little in court other than to ask for access to his wallet so he could retrieve his lawyer's contact information. "I just met him yesterday," he said. "I didn't know I needed a lawyer until yesterday."
"You didn't know you had a warrant for murder?" Rudd Robinson said.
"No, ma'am," Garcia said.
Upon arrest, Garcia had .2 grams of cocaine in a small plastic baggie in his wallet, police said. He was also charged with cocaine possession.
rbbm.

Unless I am confused or I missed something –
In his article, Lat has reversed the roles: “confessed hitman Sigfredo Garcia, alleged hitman Luis Rivera” . . .
. . . should be: “confessed hitman Luis Rivera, alleged hitman Sigfredo Garcia”

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/11/the-dan-markel-case-who-is-paying-the-defendants-legal-fees/
In addition to the prosecutors working under State Attorney Willie Meggs, the three defendants — confessed hitman Sigfredo Garcia, alleged hitman Luis Rivera, and accused conduit Katherine Magbanua — all have their counsel.

"who is covering Magbanua’s fees? I’ve heard a number of theories about that, but nothing concrete. I reached out to her lawyers, Christopher DeCoste and Tara Kawass, to inquire. DeCoste declined to comment, citing the confidentiality of fee arrangements."

i wonder if the alleged masterminds are covering KM's legal fees to keep her quiet? it reminds me of this case where the accomplice was charged with contempt and sent to jail because she refused to rat out the mastermind. and while she sat in jail all of her legal fees and other financial needs were taken care of by the mastermind to keep her happy (she admitted this years later) -

"Costello spent 20 months in jail starting in 1996 for refusing to cooperate with prosecutors. A judge dismissed the contempt order in 1998, but when she was released, law enforcement arrested her on murder and kidnapping charges."

http://archive.tcpalm.com/news/crim...996-stuart-murder-ep-402602096-348504151.html

so what's to stop the alleged masterminds from secretly paying for KM's attorney fees (and other financial needs outside of jail) to keep her from talking? my guess is nothing. fee arrangements are confidential information and not admissible evidence so it seems like it would be a wise thing for them to do if they are involved. i guess we may never know.

"who is covering Magbanua’s fees? I’ve heard a number of theories about that, but nothing concrete. I reached out to her lawyers, Christopher DeCoste and Tara Kawass, to inquire. DeCoste declined to comment, citing the confidentiality of fee arrangements."

i wonder if the alleged masterminds are covering KM's legal fees to keep her quiet? it reminds me of this case where the accomplice was charged with contempt and sent to jail because she refused to rat out the mastermind. and while she sat in jail all of her legal fees and other financial needs were taken care of by the mastermind to keep her happy (she admitted this years later) -

"Costello spent 20 months in jail starting in 1996 for refusing to cooperate with prosecutors. A judge dismissed the contempt order in 1998, but when she was released, law enforcement arrested her on murder and kidnapping charges."

http://archive.tcpalm.com/news/crim...996-stuart-murder-ep-402602096-348504151.html

so what's to stop the alleged masterminds from secretly paying for KM's attorney fees (and other financial needs outside of jail) to keep her from talking? my guess is nothing. fee arrangements are confidential information and not admissible evidence so it seems like it would be a wise thing for them to do if they are involved. i guess we may never know.
The thought of not only footing their own legal fees but to also be footing SG and KM's fees?!! And should they (KM & SG) remain in jail then they would also need to foot the bills for SG's and KM's family!
Wow! Prison might be a better deal.
It amazes me how "smart" people can be so short sighted and so naive.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

KM doesn't need a trial lawyer. Because she is going to take a deal just like Luis. So all KM need is a good Plea Deal lawyer and enough verifiable information that will get Charles and Donna locked up for life.

Jmo.

KM doesn't need a trial lawyer. Because she is going to take a deal just like Luis. So all KM need is a good Plea Deal lawyer and enough verifiable information that will get Charles and Donna locked up for life.

Jmo.
And let's not forget Wendi/Lily.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

"

But this doesn't make sense. If the masterminds are paying the legal bills of those involved in the conspiracy, why did Garcia get rid of his high-priced Miami lawyer?
For the lawyers: I know that payment arrangements are confidential but does that stop KM or SG from telling authorities who paid for their lawyers?

But this doesn't make sense. If the masterminds are paying the legal bills of those involved in the conspiracy, why did Garcia get rid of his high-priced Miami lawyer?
For the lawyers: I know that payment arrangements are confidential but does that stop KM or SG from telling authorities who paid for their lawyers?

1. i never said everybody - just KM. maybe they are singularly taking care of KM because she is the only one who can tie them to the alleged murder plot - SG was just the dumb trigger-man - he does not have the intimate knowledge/testimony against the alleged masterminds that KM has. maybe SG is left to fend for himself.
2. KM could reveal who is paying for her legal fees - but why should she at this point?

1. i never said everybody - just KM. maybe they are singularly taking care of KM because she is the only one who can tie them to the alleged murder plot - SG was just the dumb trigger-man - he does not have the intimate knowledge/testimony against the alleged masterminds that KM has. maybe SG is left to fend for himself.
2. KM could reveal who is paying for her legal fees - but why should she at this point?

We don't know what SG knows. There were hints in the Rivera confession that he might know a lot.

We don't know what SG knows. There were hints in the Rivera confession that he might know a lot.

yes but based on what we know so far he has no direct connection or documented communication to the alleged masterminds. KM has that direct connection which makes her a lot more dangerous for them.

yes but based on what we know so far he has no direct connection or documented communication to the alleged masterminds. KM has that direct connection which makes her a lot more dangerous for them.
SG called Harvey Adelson twice as documented in the PCA.
What's documented publicly at this point and what the police now know are almost certainly two different things.
KM is probably more worrisome to the masterminds, but assuming the masterminds had paid for SG's defense so far, why would they stop now?

-Purely speculative and IMHO as all WS posts are these days without much in the way of good information.

SG called Harvey Adelson twice as documented in the PCA.
What's documented publicly at this point and what the police now know are almost certainly two different things.
KM is probably more worrisome to the masterminds, but assuming the masterminds had paid for SG's defense so far, why would they stop now?

-Purely speculative and IMHO as all WS posts are these days without much in the way of good information.

1. the phones connected but we don't know who was using those phones. as i mentioned earlier - family members sometimes share phones.
2. i don't think the alleged masterminds have ever or will ever pay for SG's legal fees. he can't directly connect them in a first-hand way the way KM can. remember - we have meetings and phone calls between KM and one of the alleged masterminds with actual transcribed conversations. first-hand connection.

1. the phones connected but we don't know who was using those phones. as i mentioned earlier - family members sometimes share phones.
2. i don't think the alleged masterminds have ever or will ever pay for SG's legal fees. he can't directly connect them in a first-hand way the way KM can. remember - we have meetings and phone calls between KM and one of the alleged masterminds with actual transcribed conversations. first-hand connection.

Any ideas then on who would have been paying SG's expensive legal fees, then? And why did they recently stop? I think you're presuming a lot based on almost no information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member