GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Markel trial: Wendi Adelson full testimony | Video
Watch Wendi Adelson's full testimony in Dan Markel's murder trial | Video
Wendi Adelson's testimony has been long anticipated in the case.
TALLAHASSEE DEMOCRAT

10:18 p.m. EDT Sep. 27, 2019

Ex-wife Wendi Adelson testifies under immunity in Dan Markel case
Updated 9:01 p.m. ET Sept. 27, 2019
Dan Markel’s ex-wife Wendi Adelson testified she was not involved in the plot to kill the Florida State law professor and had no knowledge of the conspiracy prosecutors allege her family masterminded.

Testifying under an immunity deal Friday in the murder trial of Sigredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua, Adelson said she knew some of her family members were angry with him during their divorce, but she said she was unaware of the state's theory about the murder.

“Do you know who killed Dan Markel?” Magbanua’s attorney Tara Kawass asked.

“No,” Adelson replied, shaking her head.

“Did your brother have anything to do with killing Dan Markel?”

“I don’t believe so,” she said.

Under questioning, Adelson briefly discussed her immunity, which prevents her testimony from being used against her but does not preclude the state from ever charging her. When asked about whether she may ever be arrested, Adelson broke into a smile.

“The state isn’t going to decide to arrest me,” Adelson said.
[...]

TaxProf Blog: Adelson Family Will Not Be Charged In Dan Markel's Murder Despite Circumstantial Evidence Released By Police (Including $1 Million Offer To Allow Children To Move To Miami, Communication And Money Trail To Hit Men)
September 9, 2016
By Paul Caron
rbbm.
"The document says analysis of cell phone calls showed on many occasions during the weeks leading up to Markel’s murder, Magbanua had phone contact with Charlie Adelson, which was then followed by phone contact between Charlie and Donna Aldeson – all of which coincided with Magbanua having contact with Garcia. “Investigators believe this pattern is consistent with Magbanua being the conduit during the planning of Markel’s murder,” the affidavit says.

It also provides extensive details of the contacts between the alleged co-conspirators on the morning of July 18, 2014. Among the noted calls is a more than six-minute call at 9:58 a.m. from Charlie Adelson to Magbanua. In the next 11 minutes, they contact each other three more times. Markel was killed around 11 a.m. At 11:06 a.m., Donna Adelson tried to contact her son and at 11:22 a.m. he calls her back and talks to her for seven minutes. He immediately makes two calls to Magbanua, the second lasting five minutes. At 12:30 p.m., Garcia calls Magbanua. It’s the first contact he initiates after Markel was killed.

The day Markel was killed, Wendi Adelson called her mother to tell her of the shooting. Afterward, Donna Adelson called Charlie, getting him on the second and third tries. Following the calls, Charlie Adelson called Magbanua and they spoke for nearly three minutes. "This call is significant," draft documents say,"because as previously stated, investigators believe Magbanua was the person that facilitated the homicide in that she is the link between Charlie Adelson and the shooters."

RSBM concerning the morning of the murder

"Among the noted calls is a more than six-minute call at 9:58 a.m. from Charlie Adelson to Magbanua. In the next 11 minutes, they contact each other three more times. Markel was killed around 11 a.m. At 11:06 a.m., Donna Adelson tried to contact her son and at 11:22 a.m. he calls her back and talks to her for seven minutes. He immediately makes two calls to Magbanua, the second lasting five minutes. At 12:30 p.m., Garcia calls Magbanua. It’s the first contact he initiates after Markel was killed."

And at 12:49, Wendy purchases the Bulleit Rye

ETA, everyone has all weekend to fill in the blanks about what time they drove into the parking lot and how that jives with the time frame above. They really made a point and the prosecution today about the times of when each one of them drove in and when the two of them parked waiting for him to come back outside.

Has anyone here ever done a map from her house, to the street off where she lived, to the liquor store, to the restaurant which we now know the name of course she went and was met by the police?
Yes, I did. It was out of her way to buy the Bullit whiskey nesr Dan's. There was a closer liquor store to her apartment and to the restaurant. IMO, she just couldn't help herself. She had to go check.
If I remember correctly, WA called DM the morning before his murder for some reason. IMO, it was to double check that he had dropped the kids off at preschool. (It would have been bad had he decided to keep the kids with him that day.) WA would have been very careful about that detail.
Also, when reviewing the divorce papers early on, I recall seeing Donna A's name on a court docket in Tallahassee for her to testify in reference to the divorce. But, her appearance before the court never happened as Dan was murdered. IMO, she didn't want to get stuck testifying to what she had said about Dan in front of his boys. That was going to be a bad day for Donna. So, imo, it was time to silence her son in law. JMO

Heck, with the timing and all this I wouldn't be surprised if she was following their car during that morning.

Yes, the ATM visit after 6 p.m. in Miami showing them and the white shirt was key. Unbelievable that they got the bus videos and kudos to them for getting such.

Heck, with the timing and all this I wouldn't be surprised if she was following their car during that morning.

Yes, the ATM visit after 6 p.m. in Miami showing them and the white shirt was key. Unbelievable that they got the bus videos and kudos to them for gettin
excel

Yes, the ATM visit after 6 p.m. in Miami showing them and the white shirt was key. Unbelievable that they got the bus videos and kudos to them for getting such.

"A picture speaks a thousand words"

Excellent Police work in this case. We'll see how Rivera comes across during his testimony. If he was telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth during his statements to the detectives and continues to do so on Tuesday. For all truths and purposes it will be "Katie bar the door" for these two defendants.

Does immunity from prosecution mean that she can blatantly lie when there is evidence to all the prosecution and both defense teams that she is lying? That appears that happened quite a few times today! No perjury charges? There weren't even any challenges to blatant lies that she did. Does everybody just want to get her lies on the record for another reason? For another purpose? But I thought those lies can't even be used in court on somebody else. We need our Legal Eagles here like @gitana1

Good question! @gitana1 - does immunity exempt you from perjury charges?

Remember the Sievers case, where to hit man came from out-of-state to murder Teresa Sievers. One of the guys posted something at a stop along the way on a social media, perhaps is a signal to somebody else that the deed was done. But law enforcement found that post. And it put them at a certain place. At a certain time.

Could the post about the owl that was done have been done on purpose to communicate to somebody else that the deed was done, and Mag also saw it and said take it down because it shows where you were? I wonder what time that post about the owl was done. Has anybody ever heard it published what time that was?

Opening statements was the first time I heard about the Owl. Is the Owl significant in some way to Dan being a professor? A wise owl? Is there a professor owl in a cartoon or something?

She is NOT believable at all. I know this is not her trial, but I now believe more than ever she was in on it. For some reason, her family members wanted to cover her tracks better than they covered their own.

It’s puzzling. They probably covered for her because they knew she’d be the obvious suspect until ruled out. She didn’t actually commit or even hire the hitman herself - mommy and brother did her dirty work. I’m willing to bet that family never thought that LE would seriously look at them any further after questioning Wendy and clearing her. Oh but then Wendy talked too much. First to her boyfriend at the time, Jeffrey Lacasse, then to the tv repairman, and then to LE when they brought her in for questioning the day of Dan’s murder - “Charlie joked about hiring a hitman” . I’m sure LE would have caught on sooner or later, but I bet the family was none to happy at how chatty Wendi was. She chats way too much when nervous!

It’s puzzling. They probably covered for her because they knew she’d be the obvious suspect until ruled out. She didn’t actually commit or even hire the hitman herself - mommy and brother did her dirty work. I’m willing to bet that family never thought that LE would seriously look at them any further after questioning Wendy and clearing her. Oh but then Wendy talked too much. First to her boyfriend at the time, Jeffrey Lacasse, then to the tv repairman, and then to LE when they brought her in for questioning the day of Dan’s murder - “Charlie joked about hiring a hitman” . I’m sure LE would have caught on sooner or later, but I bet the family was none to happy at how chatty Wendi was. She chats way too much when nervous!

Agree. She could have really kept herself out of the line of suspicion if she'd kept her mouth shut about the TV, not driven by the crime scene, had a better alibi than TV repairman her mother scheduled for a cracked screen, not bought a liquor called "bullet" the same day her husband was shot to death, willingly spoke to investigators, acted more interested in catching her baby daddy's killer, NOT CHANGED THE CHILDREN'S NAMES, let her in-laws see their grandkids, not moved immediately.......

excel

"A picture speaks a thousand words"

Excellent Police work in this case. We'll see how Rivera comes across during his testimony. If he was telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth during his statements to the detectives and continues to do so on Tuesday. For all truths and purposes it will be "Katie bar the door" for these two defendants.

Or, KADDIE bar the door?

Good question! @gitana1 - does immunity exempt you from perjury charges?

Well if the immunity is as to perjury then yes. But I can't see how that would work unless it was as to prior testimony. So if you're immune from prosecution for murder but ten after lie on the stand, you can still be prosecuted for perjury.

It's a rare charge though. Usually when they badly want to get someone for something worse and can't.

Also I've never seen it pursued against cooperating witnesses.

Before today, I was pretty much on the fence about Wendy going back and forth and vacillating. Today I fell off the fence, and rolled down the hill clearing the fence by about 40 yards.

Her testimony just pushed me off that fence big time.

Last edited:
Rewatching some of WA's testimony and loving how the prosecutor is totally silent after Wendi is caught in a lie, just to see how WA reacts. WA is good though.....she stays composed.....even though you know she's sweating bullets lol. (Example, the Jibbers/phone contact thing).

"I don't know many liquor stores. That was the first one that popped up." (What does that mean? When she Googled from her location? Was it the closest to where she was at the time?)

Minute 38: Dan Markel trial: Wendi Adelson full testimony | Video

Right after this is when she's questioned about visiting the crime scene, and she denies it. Right after that (after a long pause to get her reaction), she's asked to identify photos of her car.

Is it wishful thinking that they have some home surveillance of her car cruising by the crime scene? (Although she does admit she drove by and saw tape).

Before today, I was pretty much on the fence about Wendy going back and forth and vacillating. Today I fell off the fence, and rolled down the hill clearing the fence by about 40 yards.

Her testimony just pushed me off that fence big time.
Me too! But now I am certain she knew of the plan to murder Dan and condoned it 100%!!

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 2 Witnesses Shawn Yao & Ret Inv Craig Isom - Surveillance Footage

Sep 27, 2019

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 2 Witnesses Ret Inv Craig Isom Surveillance Footage Part 2 092719

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 2 Witnesses Ret Inv Craig Isom Surveillance Footage Part 3 092719

Wendi testified she didn’t know where to find a liquor store? She had lived in that neighborhood for about 7 years. It was reported during the marriage they entertained regularly at the house. ?

The owl stuff is really interesting. Wonder if Rivera will explain on the stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257