GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #9 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm.
Day Thirteen: Jury Recommends Life Without Parole For Garcia, The Gunman Convicted Of Killing FSU La
Jurors have recommended life without parole for Sigfredo Garcia, the man convicted of killing former Florida State University law professor Dan Markel.

During the sentencing hearing, Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman pointed to aggravating factors she said made the death penalty warranted--including that the crime was committed for financial gain, and that it was calculated and premeditated."
"Garcia and Magbanua were tried in tandem, but after the jury couldn’t come to a conclusion in Maganua’s case last week, the judge declared a mistrial for her. She remains in jail and will face trial again. Pre-trial hearings in her case are set for next week."

Am I the only one who's PO'd at this jury still??

As it was a hung jury, don't blame the entire 12 like the CA case. We don't know for sure yet, it could only be one person that hung the jury for km.

I'm still not seeing anywhere a press conference that often follows a high-profile Case by either the defense and or the prosecution.

Just a quick question. Can Garcia be called to testify against the A's? And would they if so?

I would think so, but aside from not wanting to take the fall completely for a rich white family, he doesn't have a lot of personal incentive at this point.

Just a quick question. Can Garcia be called to testify against the A's? And would they if so?

Since he's convicted and can't be retried for the conspiracy count he was found not guilty on, he can no longer take the 5th and refuse to testify. However, if he doesn't wish to cooperate he could simply say "I don't remember" or otherwise gum up the case with b.s. No way they will take the chance of calling him unless they know what he's going to say.

Much will be going on behind the scenes so we just need to be patient. October 22nd will be the next important date and we hopefully will get a new trial setting for KM then.

Just as I thought, it was a mistake to try these two together!

Thank heavens the jurors saw straight through the BS Garcia’s lawyers tried to feed them. He got the sentence he deserved. The death sentence has too many opponents in the world today and is a hard sentence to get all jurors to agree on, IMO.

Just as I thought, it was a mistake to try these two together!

Thank heavens the jurors saw straight through the BS Garcia’s lawyers tried to feed them. He got the sentence he deserved. The death sentence has too many opponents in the world today and is a hard sentence to get all jurors to agree on, IMO.

Might be hard to give the death penalty to SG when the main culprits, those that paid for the murder and wanted it done in the first place, have not even been charged.

Since he's convicted and can't be retried for the conspiracy count he was found not guilty on, he can no longer take the 5th and refuse to testify. However, if he doesn't wish to cooperate he could simply say "I don't remember" or otherwise gum up the case with b.s. No way they will take the chance of calling him unless they know what he's going to say.
Your point still stands but he was

Guilty on conspiracy
Not Guilty on solicitation

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Penalty Phase - Victim's Mother Speaks

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Penalty Phase - Jury Instructions

Oct 15, 2019

---

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Penalty Phase - Prosecution Closing Argument

Oct 15, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.