GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This situation is ironic because there is an excellent chance that WA will be joining her mother and brother in the slammer and "emergency placement for the children upon impending arrests...'' will be needed. Of course my guess is that the "disgraced" out-of-state Adelsen brother will get custody.

He lives in Upper NY state I do believe.

Just joining this thread.

Has CA been called to the stand?

Who will prosecuting at the next trial?

why are you crying.. are you a snowflake ??? :))

CJA is out of the picture just now. G. Cappelman - hint prosecutor desperately wants to hammer Magbanua, the money xfer and liaison lady from Manila this time .
The benighted fools at the SA's office think that they might do a deal with Magbanua and she will help them burn down Charlie but Katie M knows Charlie or Donna might kill (via Latino hit men ) one of KM's kids if something like that were to happen.

I'm not joking. I wish I was.

The main ringside seats will be about Oct 9th. Jury selection starts the fourth. (I haven't bothered to look where it falls in the calendar).

Rivera at the moment is locked up with the Latino Bros somewhere in FL after being xfered from a FED facility. THis was what he was so scared about early on and he was hoping he could serve out the 7 year tack on sentence for driving the hit vehicle in the Ariz facility well away from the Bros of Sth Miami (oh foolish child that he was ) .

I am sure that Jacko Campbell (SA for LEON County ) and Cappelman will think this might concentrate his mind on giving testimony. Rivera is worried about getting Whacked in FL because he gave evidence against Sig Garcia that had him put away until pine box day.

I'm sure Charlie Adel could get Rivera bumped off in State prison if he wanted to and had the spare cash. However that might be regarded as a little less than a random accident. KM is the worry for the Adels - if the prosecution breaks her, then CJA and WJA will likely go down.

Meanwhile I am guessing Markel's sister in Toronto is watching matters carefully and deciding when to go for a civil prosecution against Adelson assets. (as per the wash up on OJ Simpson).

Hope this helps

KG.

CJA is out of the picture just now. G. Cappelman - hint prosecutor desperately wants to hammer Magbanua, the money xfer and liaison lady from Manila this time .
The benighted fools at the SA's office think that they might do a deal with Magbanua and she will help them burn down Charlie but Katie M knows Charlie or Donna might kill (via Latino hit men ) one of KM's kids if something like that were to happen.

The main ringside seats will be about Oct 9th. Jury selection starts the fourth. (I haven't bothered to look where it falls in the calendar).

Rivera at the moment is locked up with the Latino Bros somewhere in FL after being xfered from a FED facility. THis was what he was so scared about early on and he was hoping he could serve out the 7 year tack on sentence for driving the hit vehicle in the Ariz facility well away from the Bros of Sth Miami (oh foolish child that he was ) .

I am sure that Jacko Campbell (SA for LEON County ) and Cappelman will think this might concentrate his mind on giving testimony. Rivera is worried about getting Whacked in FL because he gave evidence against Sig Garcia that had him put away until pine box day.

I'm sure Charlie Adel could get Rivera bumped off in State prison if he wanted to and had the spare cash. However that might be regarded as a little less than a random accident. KM is the worry for the Adels - if the prosecution breaks her, then CJA and WJA will likely go down.

Meanwhile I am guessing Markel's sister in Toronto is watching matters carefully and deciding when to go for a civil prosecution against Adelson assets. (as per the wash up on OJ Simpson).

Hope this helps

KG.
Well, I enjoy your Damon Runyon style and I agree with your analysis. Who is now going to lead the prosecution? Has CA been on the stand? Why don't they call him?

Well, I enjoy your Damon Runyon style and I agree with your analysis. Who is now going to lead the prosecution? Has CA been on the stand? Why don't they call him?
Georgia Cappleman is likely to lead the prosecution. She really did not do an A+ job last time - I refer to things like -
1. Unnotiarised documents with original document LOST.

2. items in video evidence that needed a transcript and no transcript had been done...

3. Starting a line of questioning and stopping half way through a paragraph....

Basically all over the place on the small stuff.

But old Jacko Campbell the SA for Leon cty (he's her boss) well .. ya have trouble finding Good People !! specially down Florida way. Jacko don't like me and my sarcasm. he knows about me.

CJA is officially a Person of Interest . He'd never go on the stand except without full indemnity as per what his lovely sister did. But Jacko don't want to hand out too many git out of jail cards.

CJA's ex GF, June Umchinda took the stand and lied a lot and tried to back off on previous written testimony . Now she's probably feeling the heat from Cappleman's G men . Why ? Well , June has been a bid indiscreet. Can't say more - my lips are sealed.

June baby, if she comes back might be Fun viewing when Oct comes around.

IF you have 40 mins to spare look up "Dan Markel case Mr Nobles testifies" on Y tube - he's a treat... he's taking the p_ss out of the court and the prosecutor at any chance he can get. He uses the F word under his breath in open court . He's a cocaine dealer**, "Believe it" well no not really I can't believe it .. he jest knows "where to Git it ". I'd love to see Mr S Nobles back for Mark II but the TPD have to get more dirt on him like handling more stolen property to force him back to the witness stand. Nobles is as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof about that happening.

** He seems to pimp black gals on the side too (around the motels of Leon Cty) but as that's not proven , I'll give him a pass on that.

should show Mr Nobles under full sail..... :))

Defense - "why would they flag down a random stranger to buy cocaine -? I am asking the question ."

MR N - "That's a good question !"

Last edited:

Hope this helps

KG.
You remind me of Truman Capote! I couldn't help saying that. You should write a book, seriously.

You remind me of Truman Capote! I couldn't help saying that. You should write a book, seriously.
People keep calling up these obscure US authors... all way over my head.

Kidon Gadol of course means large bayonet in Hebr - that's a nice touch to piss off the Adelsons should they or their agents come sniffing around here. I mean half the US understands Hebrew , right ? if you are talking about NewYork US that is. The underlying threat is the Sword of Damocles. But not from me - from Georgia Cappleman and her boss.

Enough of the ethnic nasturtiums.

If Kidon G and Mr Nobles - see above got together - I am sure we could come up with a very racy crime novel (and not much imagination require too ). Mr Nobles has the experience and I could add the grammar and polished English.

I must admit sometimes I really do have trouble understanding Noble's semi ghetto talk.

But the sun is low and mine eyes grow week - I think the collaboration with Nobles is probably off the menu.

Mentour Lawyer has run some interesting Yt videos about this messy and horrible case. Poor old Dan did nothing wrong. He might have verballed his wife a bit but I'm reading she probably deserved it. She's an evil liar. Most of my information comes from there plus an academic in the UK who wrote a little on this matter.

What is interesting just now is that Kawass , the lead defense lawyer, has done a total U turn on her theory of the crime. There is mention of this on the Justice for Dan Markel facebook site. New theory from her is -

CJA did a direct deal with Sig Garcia to commit the murder for hire. K Magbanua was an innocent bystander. This just is crazy. To start off with Sig Garcia hated CJA because the latter stole his girl with all his money, flashy clothes an a red Ferrari . This smells to me as if a lawyer for the Adelsons might be taking the overview and manipulating the run of the ball.

If Kawass managed to get KM off using this subterfuge , it leaves the State with a worthless case against CJA - because there are no phone calls or any other links from CJA to SG. Everyone knows that. All financial transfers were done in cash money.

But who is paying Kawass and de Coste ? The State of FL that's who.

Why is that ? It is because KM has declared that post the first trial of Oct 2019 , she is now indigent.

So there are plenty of twists and turns in this plot. And perhaps a few "surprise witnesses " coming up au futur.

KG

Mentour Lawyer has run some interesting Yt videos about this messy and horrible case. Poor old Dan did nothing wrong. He might have verballed his wife a bit but I'm reading she probably deserved it. She's an evil liar. Most of my information comes from there plus an academic in the UK who wrote a little on this matter.

What is interesting just now is that Kawass , the lead defense lawyer, has done a total U turn on her theory of the crime. There is mention of this on the Justice for Dan Markel facebook site. New theory from her is -

CJA did a direct deal with Sig Garcia to commit the murder for hire. K Magbanua was an innocent bystander. This just is crazy. To start off with Sig Garcia hated CJA because the latter stole his girl with all his money, flashy clothes an a red Ferrari . This smells to me as if a lawyer for the Adelsons might be taking the overview and manipulating the run of the ball.

If Kawass managed to get KM off using this subterfuge , it leaves the State with a worthless case against CJA - because there are no phone calls or any other links from CJA to SG. Everyone knows that. All financial transfers were done in cash money.

But who is paying Kawass and de Coste ? The State of FL that's who.

Why is that ? It is because KM has declared that post the first trial of Oct 2019 , she is now indigent.

So there are plenty of twists and turns in this plot. And perhaps a few "surprise witnesses " coming up au futur.

KG
I thought CJA was paying KM to keep her mouth shut which I assume would include paying for her attorney.

I thought CJA was paying KM to keep her mouth shut which I assume would include paying for her attorney.

There has been a lot of talk about where there Adelson family has been spending money. At one point the previous judge called Kawass and deCoste into chambers to get reassurance that the Adels were not paying their fees. Obviously because that could affect how they might run the case including doing the dirty on KM to save CJA. It seems that the judge was satisfied with the explanation.

It is FAR more likely that the Adels are paying for the child care/sustenance for the two children of KM - they can do that without any fear at all. They can say she's Charlie's old GF and she has been stitched up in a prosecution and they feel sorry for her.

There's a hell of a lot of testimony from Rivera that seriously implicates KM. I find him very believable. He gave one version of events during the proffer interview and he's stuck to it.

One very interesting question - he was offered reduced sentence on the basis that he testified at trial. He' s done that. So I don't think that the deal would include testimony at subsequent trials. We know (from ML) that Rivera wrote out a letter to state assist. attny GC asking that he be allowed to serve his entire sentence in the Fed facility (less chance of being bumped off by the Latin Kings in the Arizona prison)

Now just recently he's been transferred to the FL justice system. Ostensibly, that's because he has served the required time on the racketering charge. There may be other factors at work.

KG

Georgia Cappleman is likely to lead the prosecution. She really did not do an A+ job last time - I refer to things like -
1. Unnotiarised documents with original document LOST.

2. items in video evidence that needed a transcript and no transcript had been done...

3. Starting a line of questioning and stopping half way through a paragraph....

Basically all over the place on the small stuff.

But old Jacko Campbell the SA for Leon cty (he's her boss) well .. ya have trouble finding Good People !! specially down Florida way. Jacko don't like me and my sarcasm. he knows about me.

CJA is officially a Person of Interest . He'd never go on the stand except without full indemnity as per what his lovely sister did. But Jacko don't want to hand out too many git out of jail cards.

CJA's ex GF, June Umchinda took the stand and lied a lot and tried to back off on previous written testimony . Now she's probably feeling the heat from Cappleman's G men . Why ? Well , June has been a bid indiscreet. Can't say more - my lips are sealed.

June baby, if she comes back might be Fun viewing when Oct comes around.

IF you have 40 mins to spare look up "Dan Markel case Mr Nobles testifies" on Y tube - he's a treat... he's taking the p_ss out of the court and the prosecutor at any chance he can get. He uses the F word under his breath in open court . He's a cocaine dealer**, "Believe it" well no not really I can't believe it .. he jest knows "where to Git it ". I'd love to see Mr S Nobles back for Mark II but the TPD have to get more dirt on him like handling more stolen property to force him back to the witness stand. Nobles is as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof about that happening.

** He seems to pimp black gals on the side too (around the motels of Leon Cty) but as that's not proven , I'll give him a pass on that.

should show Mr Nobles under full sail..... :))

Defense - "why would they flag down a random stranger to buy cocaine -? I am asking the question ."

MR N - "That's a good question !"
Well, if they subpoena CA, what choice does he have?

There has been a lot of talk about where there Adelson family has been spending money. At one point the previous judge called Kawass and deCoste into chambers to get reassurance that the Adels were not paying their fees. Obviously because that could affect how they might run the case including doing the dirty on KM to save CJA. It seems that the judge was satisfied with the explanation.

It is FAR more likely that the Adels are paying for the child care/sustenance for the two children of KM - they can do that without any fear at all. They can say she's Charlie's old GF and she has been stitched up in a prosecution and they feel sorry for her.

There's a hell of a lot of testimony from Rivera that seriously implicates KM. I find him very believable. He gave one version of events during the proffer interview and he's stuck to it.

One very interesting question - he was offered reduced sentence on the basis that he testified at trial. He' s done that. So I don't think that the deal would include testimony at subsequent trials. We know (from ML) that Rivera wrote out a letter to state assist. attny GC asking that he be allowed to serve his entire sentence in the Fed facility (less chance of being bumped off by the Latin Kings in the Arizona prison)

Now just recently he's been transferred to the FL justice system. Ostensibly, that's because he has served the required time on the racketering charge. There may be other factors at work.

KG
Oh that's right the judge questioned the attorneys about the source of fees. Yes, childcare cost would be safe. This has gone on for how long now? :rolleyes:

Easy , He pleads the Fifth amendment - that says he does not have to self incriminate... But it gets worse... his sister has already negotiated a Use immunity for the first trial (she immediately starts lying on the stand... of course...).

So Charlie is in wonderful position to say - "I want the same .. .I'm saying nothing without the same. "

The deal done with WJA was a balls up from that point of view. and the worst part of it is that when WJA was doing her tearful soliloquy in the cop shop she said something critically incriminating... "I knew Dan was going up to NY on business next week " that's not strictly verbatim but it's pointless to hunt it down for me because it is pre Miranda. Why is that so important ?

Because LR got information while driving for Sig Garcia that Dan Markel was going out of town on the Saturday , therefore they better hurry up and kill him on the Friday. This came over the Bat phone from Magbanua on the Thursday afternoon while they were out hunting in the Prius.

Guess where that pearl of data came from ? The Ex. She's as implicated as hell. And I do believe that Amy Adler can say so.

Amy Adler may not be called in to take KM down... there is enough evidence already from Umchinda and L Rivera to take her down , esp if the phone call data is displayed in a statistically intelligent way.

Unfortunately though in terms of the (digitally ) audio (and Video ) from the Dolce Vita meeting with Charlie and mom , she is far less implicated than CJA, who can't keep his fat mouth shut.

Kidon G

Last edited:
Oh that's right the judge questioned the attorneys about the source of fees. Yes, childcare cost would be safe. This has gone on for how long now? :rolleyes:

2014 July 18-19. Dan Markel died early on the am of the 19th. The top of his brain was not in the 38cal slug's path so he had time think - "The .. she's behind this "

But of course he could not speak.

It's a Shonda.

I have a vibe that the Markels are going to make the Adelsons pay out at the bank too after this is all over even if there is no murder conviction. It happened after OJ Simpson and it could easily happen here (Conviction in Civil law for wrongful death ).

NB even if Wendi is only convicted for Perjury she can never practice as a lawyer again. She was a waste of time as lawyer when she was supposedly doing it. All certificates and no serious talk and writs . That's what you get with lawyers from rich families generally. Efes.

If CJA were convicted of perversion of the course of justice or some other similar crime and jailed for that but not Moyder then the Dental board of FL could pull his accreditation, easily and there are people waiting to do this. That means he cannot work anywhere in the US in Dentistry.

Believe it. !!!

There's also the Conspiracy to Murder charge (Federal ) charge that could be used against the whole crowd because the majority of them used AT&T which is headquartered in Texas and that makes it an interstate crime. This could even happen if they were found innocent of murder in FL. The maximum jail sentence for Federal conspiracy to Murder is life. There is no "double jeopardy" in charging someone with this later -but whether the Federal system would pay for this is another matter.

That's enough to keep the Adelsons up nights !!!!

Such nice people too....

Wednesday, August 25th:
*Case Management Hearing (in person) (@ 1:30pm ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - for *Katherine Magbanua (32/now 36) (Garcia's wife) arrested (Oct. 2016) & charged with first-degree murder & 1 count conspiracy & 1 count solicitation of murder were brought together into one case on Tuesday (3/20/18). Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Murder for Hire hit man. They split a $100K payoff for murder KM has rejected several offers of immunity for her testimony.
First trial started on 9/23/19. Jury: 10 women & 2 men & 1 alternate (woman); was 2 alternates one (man) got sick & excused on 10/3/19. Jury Deliberations on 10/10/19: 4.5 hours. 10/11: 6.5 hours for guilty verdict on Garcia. Mistrial declared for Magbanua. (10-2 for guilty). Total 11 hours. Will remain in jail as a charged co-conspirator, and the State will try her case again.
Re-Trial set to begin 10/15/21. Jury selection begins on 10/4/21 @ 9am (runs thru week of 10/11).

Court info & trial from 9/23/19 thru 5/6/21 reference post #602 here:
MISTRIAL - FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #10

7/6/21 Update: Case management hearing on 7/8/21 & on 8/25/21 @ 1:30pm. Hearing will be held at courthouse, with attorneys & parties present in courtroom, no Zoom. All pretrial motions must be filed on or before 9/17/21. If necessary, court will set motion hearings to take place on or before 9/30/21. Pretrial hearing on 9/30/21 @ 1:30pm. Hearing will be held at the courthouse with all attorneys & parties present in courtroom, no Zoom. Jury selection will begin on 10/4 running thru the week of 10/11. Trial set to begin on 10/15/21.
7/8/21 Update: For the next case management hearing they will be discussing jury selection procedures. Will have 2 days of jury selection with 2 sets of 50 people the first day & 2nd day will be the group picked from first day. Will question potential jurors about being vaccinated or not. And will possible add an additional alternate. Defendant waived her appearance for today’s hearing. But next hearing Judge wants her there. Next case management hearing on 8/25/21.
Accomplices:
*Sigfredo Garcia (34) – 10/10/19: found guilty of 1st degree murder. Guilty of conspiracy. Not guilty of solicitation. Sentenced to LWOP for murder plus 30 years for conspiracy charge. 11/4/19: Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Mauricio Padilla; Motion to Withdraw as Counsel: Saam Zangeneh.
*Luis Rivera (33) charged with 1st degree murder. Took a plea deal (Oct. 2016) & plead guilty to 2nd degree murder. Will testify against Garcia & Magbanua. Will receive 19-year sentence to run concurrently with his 12 year Federal time, which he is already serving.

POIs: Wendi Adelson (ex-wife of Markel), her bro Charlie, mom Donna Sue Adelson (68) & father Harvey Adelson. Investigators have not charged anyone in the Adelson family in connection with Markel’s death, but say Adelson’s mother and brother – Donna and Charlie Adelson – paid $100,000 to have Markel killed following the couple’s contentious divorce so their two young sons could move to South Florida.

Aug. 25, 2021
Magbanua defense team pushes to delay trial, citing rising COVID-19 cases
''TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - Katherine Magbanua’s defense team raised COVID-19 concerns, asking to delay her trial in a Wednesday afternoon case management hearing.
The hearing lasted just over an hour, with discussions on jury selection, discovery and evidence procedures and deadlines, and the date of the trial.
Magbanua is one of three people accused in the July 2014 murder of FSU Law Professor Dan Markel. In 2019, her case had a hung jury and ended in a mistrial.
Magbanua’s defense attorneys, Christopher DeCoste and Tara Kawass, say current COVID-19 case numbers are concerning. Both are cancer survivors and immunocompromised.
During the hearing, they added that Magbanua had tested positive for COVID-19 ten days prior, but negative Wednesday morning.
They added that socially distancing from her during trial could unintentionally sway the jury.
DeCoste and Kawass said they want to try the case but emphasize they want to do it safely.''

Dan Markel Case Live Coverage - Hearing in the Florida vs. Katherine Magbanua case

Streamed live 6 hours ago

Per article above:

Judge Robert Wheeler denied the verbal request to continue the trial to a later date in court on Wednesday, but he instructed the defense to file a written motion about their concerns. The trial date is currently set for 10/4/21. The pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 9/30/21, with a filing deadline of September 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member