GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

''11:38 a.m. Katherine Magbanua to take the stand​

Defense attorneys called just a handful of witnesses to start presenting their case to the jury.

But their most important witness will come after a lunch break.''

''Katherine Magbanua will testify on her own behalf, taking the stand at about 1 p.m. to explain to jurors her innocence in the murder of Dan Markel.''

Thursday morning, defense attorneys called four law enforcement officials and one was a friend of Charlie Adelson.

Attorneys looked to poke holes in the theory of the murder by asking law enforcement officials about the comments of Luis Rivera which led to Magbanua’s arrest in 2016.

The defense theory is that Rivera already had just enough information to implicate Magabanua in the crime through his review of his own arrest documents.''

Thought I'd wander over to Karl's tweeter since Jada will be in & out today.

for Thursday, May 26th - Day 7

Karl Etters
@KarlEtters
Here's a primer of the start of the defense case today, primarily what we don't know

Defense attorneys are arguing for acquittal for principal to murder, citing the case of Denise Williams (which I also covered) in which her conviction was overturned. Here's our story on that case

"In this case, it's very clear the only direct evidence comes from the words of Luis Rivera," Tara Kawass said

ASA Cappleman: "Rivera offers details. She’s the one that hired, she’s the one that paid. She told them when to kill, who to kill and where to go to do it. This defendant was paid and paid others to do the murder."

Judge Wheeler denies the motion for acquittal

Defense will call six witnesses not including Magbanua. That will be determined after the other witnesses

Sigfredo Garcia will not be called it appears

TPD Sgt. Sherrie Bennett is the first defense witness called

Bennett testified about an interview she did with Jessica Rodriguez about the alleged money drop.

Rodriguez then said Garcia brought a bundled grocery bag of cash and guessed it was two months after the June birth of her daughter

She said that Garcia and Magbanua had already left by the time Luis Rivera came home and grabbed the bundle. Important to note, on the stand, she said Magbanua came inside and asked did Garcia "give him the package."

I guess that could either mean Magbanua didn't know whether RIvera was there or not or Rodriguez has an issue with her testimony

The State Attorney's Office lead investigator Jason Newlin is taking the stand

And I just realized that Sigfredo Garcia was arrested on this day, May 26, six years ago.

Katherine Magbanua will testify on her own behalf

We'll come back after lunch for that

link: https://twitter.com/KarlEtters

I’m going to keep an eye on this thread for when cross starts. I want to see if Cappelman does a better job this time around .

for Thursday, May 26th - Day 7

Karl Etters
@KarlEtters
You'll want to tune into our livestream. Magbanua is taking the stand

Magbanua begins by detailing her meeting Charlie Adelson and how she and Sigfredo Garcia met and had their first child

She and Garcia never legally married

Magbanua said it wasnt unusual for her to start blowing up Garcia's phone on Fridays to coordinate kids.

She also said she definitely called him Tuto in front of Adelson.

"So when you hear him (on wiretaps) and he’s saying over and over he doesn’t know who these guys are, he's lying?" Kawass asked

"Of course"

Pure Miami: Charlie Adelson towed a jet ski with a Lexus.

"Did you have anything to do with the murder of Dan Markel?Did you know anything about the murder or assist anyone with killing the father of two kids?"

Magbanua: "No ma’am"

Magbanua said it wasnt unusual for her to start blowing up Garcia's phone on Fridays to coordinate kids.

She also said she definitely called him Tuto in front of Adelson.

"So when you hear him (on wiretaps) and he’s saying over and over he doesn’t know who these guys are, he's lying?" Kawass asked

"Of course"

"Did you have anything to do with the murder of Dan Markel?Did you know anything about the murder or assist anyone with killing the father of two kids?"

Magbanua: "No ma’am"

"Did Charlie Adelson give you $100K in stapled cash to go and give to the father of your kids, who you are not with, the next day?"

"No"

link: https://twitter.com/KarlEtters

Yeah - Jada is back...

Jada E. Williams
@JadaEWilliams
#katherineMagabua is on the stand. She’s says she’s “freaking out”

Her testimony begins with how she met Charlie Adelson and Sigfredo Garcia.

She says she knew Garcia sold drugs when he was younger but not while they were in a good place in their relationship (2012-ish). They broke up in 2013. She took a job at Sofi Dental where she met Charlie Adelson.

Magbanua says Charlie didn’t talk to her about Wendi’s divorce prior to meeting her in March 2014.

Magbanua says Garcia did know about her relationship with Charlie. She says she probably mentioned Charlie’s name to make Garcia mad. She also talked to Charlie about Sigfredo. She even said he knew the name Tuto.

Magbanua says she made money through tips. She didn’t declare all of her cash tips to avoid paying taxes on them.

She says she would save up money before depositing it into the bank.

link: https://twitter.com/JadaEWilliams

Yeah, it seems very pre-planned...I would notice that as well.
Yeah but this type of spoon-feeding worked before for her, I think, since two jurors voted NG and then it resulted in the mistrial.

I think cross may be intense especially since State has not objected to anything thus far....maybe they are just letting them run however far and wide they want to right now.

also maybe not the best to admit so freely that you may have lied to Charles (even if it is just about whether or not you actually went to clean the dental office) because it maaaay show your willingness/ability to tell a white lie so easily

Last edited:
I just tuned in and KM seems slow. Detached. Kawass is doing the heavy lifting for sure. I guess it’s the strategy to make her seem like a mousy thing and not the “mastermind” Rivera claimed her to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member