GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO - Kawass sister is still being paid by CA essentially to give KM false hope about an appeal so that KM continues to keep her mouth shut despite the reality of her situation. KM WANTS to believe there's hope of an appeal so she's still delusional about her current reality.

All I can see from the news reports is he was arrested in Sth FL (read Miami) and then transported. It does not say where he was when arrested. Given he is known to pack a gun from time to time it would be safest to pick him up on the street .

2. if you look at thread 11 I think it is - I did a break down of a supposed Land sale that is detailed on the Broward county RE transaction site. Basically CJA sold his parents ( as a trust entity ) on paper some land. It was on a 30 year mortgage which is ridiculous considering Harvey's age. there was a deposit paid - something of order $150K and the rest of the money was to be by installments. Well about 12-16 months after it was set up, there's a note to say that the mortgage is satisfied. It's weird and very suspicious
I attach a typical file - go look in the thread if you want the rest. Note that the dates are around 2020 . So it may be a scam to get around some sort of Gift duty in FL ?? I hope someone with FL legal experience can comment on that - a way to get money from the family coffers to CA and not related to the 2014 murder .

OR Donna might have intended to pay CA back in say 2016 or so, just to be safe and then in April 2016 there was the Bump operation ... there's no way to tell why the RE transaction it taking place .
If it could be proved that these transactions took place just to avoid some sort of FL tax then it could get hot for Donna and Harvey if the FL tax people showed some interest (make my day). To start with - is the title for the land still in CA's name or has it reverted to being CA's name after a short time ?? - that's an immediate red flag.
Just to add to this - I looked up CA's property records in both Broward and Miami-Dade counties. In addition to putting his 10 plex apartment building into the Harvey J Adelson Family Trust, he also put his Ft. Lauderdale home into a trust under his own name that both him and HA control. Not sure of the significance of this, but I thought it was noteworthy.

Additionally, it appears CA is in the midst of another lawsuit. His business, 12-plex LLC, is involved in a lawsuit regarding plots of land and a defaulted loan. Its a lot of legal minutia to sift through but from what I gather, his LLC loaned 400k to another company called Go Eco Homes LLC. They defaulted and were ordered just last month to pay him 573k which includes interest, attorneys fees, etc. The documents are all on unicort.com.

Last edited:
no, i believe that CA has plenty of money on hand to fund KM's defense as well as his own. i think CA put his property in trust(s) in anticipation of a multi-million dollar civil lawsuit which will undoubtedly be filed by the Markels against him for the wrongful death of DM. see O.J. Simpson. this civil lawsuit will likely be brought after the criminal trial has concluded.

IMO - Kawass sister is still being paid by CA essentially to give KM false hope about an appeal so that KM continues to keep her mouth shut despite the reality of her situation. KM WANTS to believe there's hope of an appeal so she's still delusional about her current reality.

I'm thinking along these lines too. It's unfathomable how the Kawass sisters can actually believe in KM's innocence, although they on the surface appear to. I think DeCoste was really doing his job as a defense attorney, but not in the enmeshed way depicted by the Kawass sisters, imo. The money trail makes sense. KM clearly believed she would convince a jury to acquit or--or more likely another hung jury, then was convinced the State would not try and retry her. Hence the extreme emotions when she realized they actually had a verdict. The cockiness at that table, against all odds (10-2 for conviction is not in your favor!).

The fact that clearly she and hers do not have the money for that kind of pricey defense. But since she's semi-flipped on Charlie - albeit strategy- in her trial makes me wonder. Yet if she's been steered and assured from her team whom she trusts that an appeal is likely successful...life in prison is a long time though. Seems her fairly grounded seeming brother would be able to knock some sense in to her. Maybe the conviction on all THREE counts had an impact?

Just to add to this - I looked up CA's property records in both Broward and Miami-Dade counties. In addition to putting his 10 plex apartment building into the Harvey J Adelson Family Trust, he also put his Ft. Lauderdale home into a trust under his own name that both him and HA control. Not sure of the significance of this, but I thought it was noteworthy.

Additionally, it appears CA is in the midst of another lawsuit. His business, 12-plex LLC, is involved in a lawsuit regarding plots of land and a defaulted loan. Its a lot of legal minutia to sift through but from what I gather, his LLC loaned 400k to another company called Go Eco Homes LLC. They defaulted and were ordered just last month to pay him 573k which includes interest, attorneys fees, etc. The documents are all on unicort.com.

Ok, so he has the disability lawsuit going on, this building business lawsuit, his former friend testified he had taken legal action against him (is this that I wonder?), and the small detail of being incarcerated for homicide etc. I wonder what else...you're right, lots of legal minutae which appears to be his life now. What's left of it.

Appeals are usually filed for immediately, KM hasn't filed one, so this doesn't make sense.

Appeals are usually filed for immediately, KM hasn't filed one, so this doesn't make sense.
I believe Florida requires a notice of appeal must be filed 30 days from the date of conviction AND sentencing. Thus, the 30-day period for the notice would begin on the 29th, assuming the sentencing occurs as currently scheduled. I'm not too surprised they haven't filed a notice yet -- especially if there are any discussions occurring regarding the possibility of her cooperation. Otherwise, expect a notice of appeal promptly after the sentence is entered.

I believe Florida requires a notice of appeal must be filed 30 days from the date of conviction AND sentencing. Thus, the 30-day period for the notice would begin on the 29th, assuming the sentencing occurs as currently scheduled. I'm not too surprised they haven't filed a notice yet -- especially if there are any discussions occurring regarding the possibility of her cooperation. Otherwise, expect a notice of appeal promptly after the sentence is entered.

But why would they wait if they are hell-bent on appealing no matter what because they are paid off, which is the theory presented above?

<modsnip> it is my strong suspicion that Charles Adelson's defense strategy will incorporate some elements of (1) I told Magbanua to do something but (2) she ended up doing something else on her own volition to curry favors from me and my family. Hence, Magbanua's situation with regard to potential appeal is very precarious at this juncture!

Second, on 5/27/2022 Magbanua was convicted by Jury Trial on the 3 counts of the indictments dated 10/4/2016 & 2/7/2018. Whenever she appeals the 5/27/2022 convictions, (1) the State will likely (99% probability) cross-appeal and (2) her appealing the 5/27/2022 conviction has zero effect of her still running Grand Jury Indictment. Said indictment by Grand Jury dated 4/20/2022 reads (1) Superseding Previous Indictment and (2) “[…] Katherine D. Magbanua and Charles Adelson […]”.

Third, IMHO this still running Grand Jury Indictment is the reason for why:
1. Magbanua Sentencing has been pushed beyond 60 days rather than the usual 30 days
2. Magbanua Sentencing and the Adelson Case Management are scheduled at the same time 7/29/2022 and at the same Court room, and
3. Magbanua has not appealed 6 Weeks after conviction. She is unlikely to appeal prior the 7/29/2022 clarification of what sentences she is appealing for, and ... what effects Charles Adelson's defense strategy will have on her potential appeal.

Incidentally, it appears Magbanua kept both her Car Wash and Defrost. Neither of her defense attorneys are vocal on social media anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:
But why would they wait if they are hell-bent on appealing no matter what because they are paid off, which is the theory presented above?
There is truly no reason for them to file the notice before sentencing. The notice itself is a boilerplate paragraph that takes 15 seconds to print out. You have to pay $300 and then within 14 days from filing the notice you have to file the transcript order form and initiate ordering the trial transcript. The notice is a formality, but it does start the clock running. I'm sure they are prepping for the appeal now, but there really is no reason to file the notice before sentencing is final.

First and putting any joke asides, it is my strong suspicion that Charles Adelson's defense strategy will incorporate some elements of (1) I told Magbanua to do something but (2) she ended up doing something else on her own volition to curry favors from me and my family.
and (3) I was so displeased with her that I gave her a big stapled stack of $100 bills and a car.

Have been busy lately, and can’t believe I missed the wonderful news about KM being found guilty, and the even better news about CA’s arrest. I still find it hard to believe KM didn’t sing a long time ago. I felt certain she would tell what really happened, and possibly by now, be a free woman. Shows how manipulative the A’s are, and or how she might be fearful of turning on them. Looking forward to his trial.

Have been busy lately, and can’t believe I missed the wonderful news about KM being found guilty, and the even better news about CA’s arrest. I still find it hard to believe KM didn’t sing a long time ago. I felt certain she would tell what really happened, and possibly by now, be a free woman. Shows how manipulative the A’s are, and or how she might be fearful of turning on them. Looking forward to his trial.
Don't miss July 29 where Katie will be sentenced and Charlie has a case management conference...on the same day, in the same courtroom.

Attachments

• popcorn.jpg
    popcorn.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 4
<modsnip - quoted post was removed.>

………why not stick with the basic theme of a child cusody dispute and the "Legal narrative" that the killers were sent to negotiate on that and it all went wrong in a big way ? Either narrative is going to be hard to present to a jury

Because -

a. The killer SG dressed in a long sleeved white shirt just before the killing as seen in the commuter bus video. He's clearly setting things up so he has a disposable garment to absorb blood splatter and any powder residue. Interesing point - Det. Isom never asks Rivera anything about the disposal of this shirt, not that I heard in the proffer.

b. After the killing, he is in a different shirt - a later bus video.(Bus video evidence). It's likely the same shirt that he is seen wearing in the famous ATM photo.

c. They went to the trouble of getting a disposable .38 cal revolver from a street dealer before going north from MIami, rather than using their own personal weapons. (Rivera's evidence).

d. Dan was on the phone at the time of his killing and we can tell that there was no attempt to converse with him. SG just walked up to him, shot him through the window, non fatally , then broke out the window and shot him in the skull at the brow/nose intersection. (Evidence from the school administrator he was speaking to and evidence from autopsy - plus the fact that his specs were destroyed at the bridge piece).

IMO
KG

Last edited by a moderator:
FF's recording on the 15th leaves no doubt that HA knew. They all knew.
Hearing Dan's children's voices...is heart breaking knowing these conspirators of his murder are allowed to raise his boys. They sound so young and innocent. It's difficult knowing what they will soon learn.

Thanks for sharing the tip to watch her videos, Katie. The A's day of sweet Justice is coming. It's just slow to arrive. However, we are a patient bunch of Markel supporters and have been since the day the bullet hit Professor Dan Markel.
Yes I was on the fence about Harvey until these recent wiretaps. He definitely knew--at what stage? I think Donna likely protected him from some of it, but he knew. This enmeshed foursome are thick as thieves, each with their own pathological role.

They've done a lot of the groundwork already for Charlie's trial so maybe less time than usual and also the wild cards of which sociopath flips on who. We will surely know more next week!

Link to an interview of the remarkable Ruth Markel by a Canadian news outlet.
Thanks for the link!
July 19 2022
''It's been eight years since gunmen murdered Dan Markel, a Canadian-born law professor, in front of his Tallahassee, Florida home. Three people have been convicted of the murder-for-hire. Markel's former brother-in-law Charles Adelson has since been charged, too. The ex-wife has maintained she knew nothing about it, despite being in a bitter custody dispute before the killing. For Markel's distraught parents, Ruth and Phil Markel of Toronto, Canada, the ordeal has been a "rollercoaster" as they have fought for years to get justice for their dead son, and access to their two grandchildren. Now Ruth Markel has written about what it's been like behind the scenes. The book is called "The Unveiling". She gave her first Canadian interview about it to The CJN Daily's Ellin Bessner on July 14, 2022. Watch the extended video, then listen to The CJN Daily podcast. https://thecjn.ca/podcasts/hitmen-mur...''

Also..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member